Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

That's a workaround but you will notice it won't work 100% all the time (but it prevented me diving under the desk every time). Sometimes i had to unplug/replug to make it work (on motherboard USB).

Same goes for the light inside the headset. Orange is always a no go, if the Oculus service isn't running it's always orange but if it's orange, it doesn't always means the service isn't running.

Same goes up for when it's white. White doesn't always mean it's working.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I am a noob here, and am using a downloaded version of DCS. Planning to buy some modules, and I see that there is a 'Steam' version too. I also see that there seem to be some issues with the Rift S and the steam version? Is that true, or have I misunderstood some posts?

So is it better to go standalone or Steam, both generally and from the point of view of VR compatibility?

EDIT: Saw this thread, so I think stand alone would be better I guess.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3698485

So, I am a noob here, and am using a downloaded version of DCS. Planning to buy some modules, and I see that there is a 'Steam' version too. I also see that there seem to be some issues with the Rift S and the steam version? Is that true, or have I misunderstood some posts?

So is it better to go standalone or Steam, both generally and from the point of view of VR compatibility?

I would certainly recommend stand alone. But I am not much of a Steam fan.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would certainly recommend stand alone. But I am not much of a Steam fan.

Thanks. Is there any difference in use of the Rift S between Steam and the stand alone?

I just downloaded the steam one, and when I open it, it shows the settings and missions from my stand alone. Any idea why that is? Doe it use the same folders?

Thanks. Is there any difference in use of the Rift S between Steam and the stand alone?

I just downloaded the steam one, and when I open it, it shows the settings and missions from my stand alone. Any idea why that is? Doe it use the same folders?

Just remember if you get the Steam game, that does not mean you have to use Steam VR - DCS supports Oculus natively. Steam VR can be a bit of a hog and you don't need it for DCS with Oculus.

Someone else more familiar with Steam will have to answer your question on the folders.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Play how it was made to be played standalone steam is just more junk in the equation.

Edited by freehand

After 5 months of deliberating if to go with VR and twice rejecting the thought after testing the Rift S and than the Reverb I finally decided to keep my second Rift S I got last week. I still firmly believe VR in general and VR in DCS especially is far from matured and has many cons but after maybe 10-15 hrs its just too hard to go back to only monitor so I guess Ill have to get used to the things I dislike (poor resolution, lots of edge-shimmering, poor performance, overly complicated setup (eg for a WMR headset you need WMR, Steam and SteamVR running; for the Rift only Oculus Home with an optional tool) and a higher strain on the eyes).

I just hope Oculus can resolve those connection problems. It usually takes me 2-3 attempts (up to 10 min) to get the Rift S running, usually un-/reconnecting the USB-cable very often....

But it seems, that Im still lucky since once connected I did have no problems even during 3 hrs playing. Just on restarting the Caucasus F/A-18C 9X-mission tracking is going wild.

But Oculus wont see any further money from me (for other apps/games) unless theyre able to resolve my connection-problems...

Still the greatest thing in VR for me s GoogleEarth-VR. This is constantly giving me wows! :-)

Edited by Wali763

Your connection problem don’t come from Oculus but the way you have connected it.

The Rifts S needs a dedicated USB 3.0 controller, the full bandwidth it provides.

Your motherboard has probably 2 or 3 USB controllers. The USB 3.0 ports are linked to the controllers but there are always more than one USB port per controller, so the bandwidth is shared, so the issue...

There are two ways to solve the issue:

1) you are able to free some USB ports to isolate one controller and plug your Rift on it. Your motherboard manual can give some hint. The device manager allows to display the devices list by connection and really see to which USB controller things are connected

2) Buying an external USB 3.1 gen1 PCIe card. It must have a dedicated alimentation (not directly from the PCIe port) and you must buy a card with controller not from ASMedia, so avoid all cards with USB 3.1 gen2 and USB-C port because the controller is most of the time ASMedia one. This one has solved the same issue for me: https://www.exsys.ch/de/pcie-karten/usb-3.0/standard/pcie-usb-3.0-karte-2-ports-renesas.html (if you go this way, there is a jumper on the card to move to give it power from you alimentation. According to your alim, it is possible that you will need a Molex to SATA adapter)

For sure, VR is not really plug and play and requires good understanding about the settings and tuning depending your needs in DCS. But as you said, when tested difficult to come back on monitor

Edited by Chapa

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

@ Chapa

Thx for the advice.

I also tried to free up all four backside MB-USB3-ports with the Rift being the only pluged into such a port. Keyboard and mouse were on the other USB2-ports. Front-USB3-ports were also unused.

Still did not work.

Normally I have the hub (with a on/off-switch) for Warthog and pedals plugged into a back USB3-port BUT switched off and one pair of also switched off Minispeakers. Only after correct start of the Rift S I power up the hub for the Warthog.

But Ive ordered a powererd external USB3.0-hub (chipset unknown) that I hope to receive by Saturday. Lets hope for the best....

If that also fails I might test your proposed pcie-card.

https://geizhals.at/logilink-2x-usb-3-0-pc0054-a503423.html?hloc=at&v=e

This one seems quite similar to your proposed....

Edited by Wali763

I understand your workaround with the Hub turned on after... not a good idea even if it can work. Just don’t be surprised if you have stutters because the bandwidth sharing.

Note that depending the motherboard and electronic quality, the issue can stay the same...

Exemple with my Rog Strix z370 egaming:

1 controller is ASMEDIA, so it created stutter and was not able to handle the Rift alone.

1 controller for USB 2.0 so not able

1 controller USB 3.0 that could in theory handle it BUT...

I discovered that the bandwidth was in fact shared with the bluetooth and because my keyboard is bluetooth, I had sometimes the issue.... Using other USB 2 keyboard, no more issue...

Because I was not able to free the USB to keep the controller for the Rift, I bought a PCIe card. Hope your hub will solve your issue.

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

Hope your hub will solve your issue.

Im hoping too. But right now, Amazon-tracking says, the hub is south of Milano, which would be way wrong...... The new M.2-SSD for DCS is also in that parcel!

I can follow your reasoning and also think its a USB-problem, but more powerwise than bandwith-wise, since I always plugged the Rift S directly into a Mainboard-USB-port.

Ive read, that some USB3-ports before the OS has loaded completly only offer USB2-functionality, therefore less power and bandwith.

And my USB-Ports on the mainboard also are under power also when the PC is shut down. Thats why I have a hub for the Warthog/pedal and TrackIR, that I can turn off.

When I build the PC ~ 6 months ago, I was not able to turn those USB-ports completly off when I shut down the PC, neiter in the UEFI (where there is no option for that) nor in the windows-settings.

But I thought by plugging in the Rift in only after complete Windows-startup, would circumvent that.But in fact it does not work every time, so there has to be more to this.

This evening I will try to find the solution to turn off those USB-ports. Maybe this will solve my problem, even before my Hub from Italy arrives....

Since the last Oculus software/firmware update (beta) i have to restart the Oculus software after every shutdown of the PC (only booting without shutdown causes no issues) to get the headset detected. Both USB always show as Rift-S. Simply clicking the red connection button for the headset and then select restart (in that second screen the connection button is already green) software. Sometimes a second software restart is needed.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Havent got my USB-hub yet and still am fighting to get the Rift S being correctly found by the system (having 2 "Rift S USB Hub" entries in the device manager).

Yesterday I had to try for one hour to achieve that. Usually its takes a few minutes. Which of course is still a few minutes too much.

Anyway, Ive done a lot of testing the last two days and Im not sure, if I have learned much.

It seems, that yesterdays 1,5 SS in OculusTrayToll or PD 1,5 give other frametimes than todays.

But contrary to some other people opinions/experiences ASW for me makes a big difference.

Ive made two missions for testing: F/A-18C low (300-500ft) over a city in Normandy and Caucasus. I think both of them are rather extreme and normal flying higher up, will render much better fps. Trees in Caucaus eg (set to 90%) dont do almost nothing to me, which tells me, that my two scenarios are a good referencepoint.

With ASW looking outside at my three during a steep banked turn gives no judders, only if the system drops beneath 40fps, which in Normandy it does a few times flying so low.

Without ASW I get up to 60fps in the Caucasus-mission (less in Normandy) but looking outside its all juddery.

Going to Auto (or without OTT) is kind of the same as ASW on.

About SS/PD Im not sure yet. There is a difference between 1.0 and 2.0, but its not big at all. Im referencding some buttons/labels inside the cockpit and those seems to be a bit clearer, but IMO not worth the performance-impact 2.0 has. Outside Im not sure, but seeing the ball still is hard for me. At maybe 2miles I see some green dots, that get easier to see, the closer I get. At maybe 1 mile I can see the balls red/orange dot. But I cannat understand somebody claim, he can see them clearly.

Right now Im on 2x MSAA and PD 1,3 without OTT and probably will leave it that way. Yesterday when testing eg ingame PD 1,5 vs SS 1,5 in OTT had a much better output in fps for ingame PD (~20ms vs ~24ms) Today this difference was not obvious; most time in my two testing-sceanarios Im scratching just below 25ms to get 40fps and therefore a "smooth" ASW experience.

Of course this findings are personal and with my specific system. But I dont see, a RTX2080Ti giving me MUCH more room to up things. But next years RTX 3080Ti is definitly on my list. Also my IPD of 66,5 might not be beneficial; maybe at 64 I could see the ball a bit better.

Anyway, the testing also had the result, that Im more and more getting used to the visual deficits compared to the monitor. :megalol: So going back is getting unlikelier. But it hasnt change my opinion that VR in DCS still early Beta-quality

Edited by Wali763

System specs

8700k clocked at 4.6ghz 32gigs 3200 ram Dcs installed on SSD and 2080ti

I get so much juttering and ghosting now that things have become literally unplayable.

Ive never had moition sickness when Iracing or Dcs and now I can barely make it a few minutes before I feel sick as a dog.

So till I can get this fixed. I can't fly.

Ive literally tried almost everything last thing is a inatek pci usb card which will get here today.

Currently trying to roll back to oculus 1.43 to see if that helps.

System specs

8700k clocked at 4.6ghz 32gigs 3200 ram Dcs installed on SSD and 2080ti

I get so much juttering and ghosting now that things have become literally unplayable.

Ive never had moition sickness when Iracing or Dcs and now I can barely make it a few minutes before I feel sick as a dog.

So till I can get this fixed. I can't fly.

Ive literally tried almost everything last thing is a inatek pci usb card which will get here today.

Currently trying to roll back to oculus 1.43 to see if that helps.

You say “now”? Was VR not an issue before? What are you settings in-game? Are you seeing issues on certain maps? Certain missions/campaigns? Multiplayer?

Run a repair of DCS.

Get latest Nvidia drivers and do the clean installation option when prompted.

Do you use oculus tray tool (OTT)?

Check out https://vr4dcs.com/2019/09/15/rift-s-setup-in-dcs/

OK Guys,

Just got my Rift S, and thanks to all in this forum. Have learnt a fair bit. Read all the 2000 plus posts here but now cant seem to find the 'settings' to use.

In the presets, I was using HIGH, but when I select VR it looks a lower setting. Which should I choose?

I have an 15 9600K with 16gb RAM, and a 2070 Super overclocked GPU.

Have gone to the Oculus settings and selected the Quality over Performance, but any further help in the DCS settings would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Oh, and on another note, no issues with my squint.

Also, how do guys who wear glasses make sure that they dont touch the lenses?

OK Guys,

Just got my Rift S, and thanks to all in this forum. Have learnt a fair bit. Read all the 2000 plus posts here but now cant seem to find the 'settings' to use.

In the presets, I was using HIGH, but when I select VR it looks a lower setting. Which should I choose?

Have gone to the Oculus settings and selected the Quality over Performance, but any further help in the DCS settings would be greatly appreciated.

I would not worry with Presets, just start by doing your own adjustments.

I would set PD to like 1.2 and MSAA in game to 2x.

Start low on everything else, no shadows, and do some testing. If performance is smooth, work your way up from there. Add some flat shadows.

MSAA and Shadows are big resource hogs in VR. But 2x MSAA really helps. Also set AF to 16x, it helps in the shimmering and not much cost in performance.

Don B

I would not worry with Presets, just start by doing your own adjustments.

I would set PD to like 1.2 and MSAA in game to 2x.

Start low on everything else, no shadows, and do some testing. If performance is smooth, work your way up from there. Add some flat shadows.

MSAA and Shadows are big resource hogs in VR. But 2x MSAA really helps. Also set AF to 16x, it helps in the shimmering and not much cost in performance.

Thanks. Any suggestions how to see fps in the headset? Saw that the other oculus tool is suggested but it does not have fps? What is AF? Edit: Got it.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Edited by deepakvrao

Thanks. Any suggestions how to see fps in the headset? Saw that the other oculus tool is suggested but it does not have fps?

I use the in game fps counter, it displays nicely in headset.

I have it assigned to a button on my HOTAS, so can toggle on and off.

I would not get too hung up on fps , shoot for smoothness.

Don B

OK Guys,

I have kind of the same setup as you do and I currently run PD 1,3, 2x MSAA 16x AF and textures high, cic traffic low, shadows flat, trees 90% and most of the other tings like lensflase etc off.

If it looks shitty compared to monitor get used to it. Thats VR in 2019. Maybe 2025......

The small FOV is almost no problem for me anymore, and Im getting used to he low resolution also but Im still struggling with the aliasing/shimmering big time. On the carrier the island quite often looks like a christmastree! :cry:

Other than than, VR of course gives you a (remote) feeling like your sitting in the plane. EG when I close the A-10C-canopy I want to pull my right hand back to not get it squeezed since Im have my stick on the right side. So VR really makes it feel real a bit!

BTW: My Rift is now running without need of several hotplugs: I got a powered USB-hub, that solved it for me. I also tried a USB 3.0-PCI-addon-card, but that did not work. But I guess the card was too old since it came out 2012.....

Thanks. Another question. Every time I open dcs it opens up in the rift. Any way I can make it open for monitor play without disconnecting the rift?

And then, is it possible OK to leave the rift plugged in all the time?

Is the USB c for power only? If I unplug that alone will it leave the rift off?

Yes you can, I personally use SkateZilla's excellent utility for this purpose, works great.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Yes I leave my Rift S always plugged in. But you can certainly unplug it if you desire.

Don B

Thanks. That looks great. You mean you leave it connected, and you have that white LED on all the time?

Yeah I do leave connected but set it in the box when not using.

I have the USB plugged into a powered hub with a switch that I turn off when not going to be using for a while. Other than that I just leave on and yes white led is lit when on.

Don B

Closing "Oculus VR Runtime Service" under "OVR Service Launcher" in Task Manager under "Background Services" turns off the headset and the light goes red/orange. I think that it's best to not leave it powered but could be wrong.

Occulus Tray Tool has an automatic feature that does this for you as well as returning the audio to you non-Oculus device if you use one or more. I start OTT and it launches Oculus and stops it when I close OTT. One click and done. I like OTT for these reasons alone and would use it if I used nothing else in OTT.