Litening II 3d model

Gianky

So, in the Hornet mini-updates thread, Wags wrote:

"We are adding the ability to mount the targeting pod on the station 4 cheek station. In order to do this correctly, we must first recreate the 3D model of the pod because the current model does not support this (cooling intake is on the wrong side of the pod)".

Now, I'm a bit confused, because our pod has the cooling intake on its right side, just as its real counterpart have (see

at 3:58 and 4:28 ).

On the other hand (no pun intended), I've seen pictures on the Internet of Litening with the cooling intake on the left side, pictures that are clearly not mirrored, since the writings on the pod are in the correct way.

So, what am I missing here? Have the different Litening versions got the cooling intake on different sides? Can the pod be built with it on either side, according to the user preferences of the type of aircraft on which it will be used? And, if there are indeed different versions, can't we just use station 6, instead of 4?

Now, I'm a bit confused, because our pod has the cooling intake on its right side, just as its real counterpart have

The pod sits in a different position when mounted on station 4. (cooling intake is on the right side).

The original model of the LITENING does not support this (this = the station four configuration), so they have to correct it.

Doesn't it have to be something like rotating it? I mean, I can't believe there would be different versions of the Litening II around for mounting them in different places. So it's either it needs to be rotated somehow (no idea if it has multiple ports...) or it needs some sort of adaptor pylon.

@drPhibes

The version in your picture is the one ED will make (cooling intake on the right side of the pod). The ECU can be rotated. What ED has to do is to mirror everything behind the forward section. See the pic below).

This version is the one we currently have in-game:

DAq9V9Y.jpg

Edited by BarTzi

Sniper is for F-16. ATFLIR is for F-18.

I could be incorrect, but does the RCAF not use Sniper Pods on their Hornets?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_Advanced_Targeting_Pod#In_use

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Remember ED has building USNavy / USMC version, no export versions.

I'm aware of that. However the statement I was referring to was a blanket opinion stating 16's use the Sniper and Hornets use the ATFLIR which in my fact obsessed mind was incorrect and required clarification.

Pardon my obsessiveness.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

According to this picture form the Northrop Grumman press archives, the ECU is detatchable, and the mounting bolt pattern looks pretty symmetrical, so perhaps it's possible to flip the ECU?

Interesting, thanks for clearing that up.

I don't know if this may be why, but I have been fortunate enough to see an RAAF and a USMC Hornet side by side at a Pitch Black open day. I don't fully recall what differences were, but I saw that there were clear physical differences in the pods although they were both definitely centreline mounted Litening pods.