AAR on JF17 (mini-update 02 FEB 2020)

Floydii

First, this is a great addition, can't wait.

Second, with regard to 'add/remove the AAR Probe', please make it close to instant when on the ground in game (the same delay as when you ask the Ground Crew to update the DTC).

I say this because fitting or removing a major piece of the aircraft isn't really something that is relevant in the context of the conduct of the game. In real life, this process would probably take more than 1-2 minutes (10 minutes? 2 hours?) and I am not able to think of a situation where, in reality, the rapid fitting or removal of an AAR probe would be operationally relevant ('Quick! I know you've just flown a 10 minute intercept without the boom, but now we need you to magic DCS rearm your jet and fly a 4 hour long range strike with AAR!).

Now, where this will happen is in an MP server where you join, but the probe is/isn't fitted, and you need to change that along with your weapons to suit the dynamic situation presented. In this case, waiting minutes for a boom to be fitted doesn't match with the rest of the DCS 'ecology' where rearming takes about 20 seconds and your ever talented ground crew can repair your entire plane in 3 minutes (which in itself is completely arbitrary, likely a hangover of LOMAC PvP days). A delay in this regard is a irrelevant nuisance that doesn't add to the enjoyment of the game.

All this being said, the ability for the mission creator to choose if the probe is fitted by default and the ability to determine if the player is allowed to remove it should be retained. The caveat here is that the default setting in the editor should be AAR probe fitted and players being able to remove it.

Agreed.

Reality is the pilot arrives at the jet ready to go. We don't.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

About AAR probe install/remove by ground crew.

1. it can be done by ground crew in RL;

2. If we leave it to ME, we need add more code to interactive with ME,

and mission designers will have another option to care about;

3. it will bring addtional drag, the FM have to consider this drag, nobody want to be forced to use a draggy plane.

So, leave it to player, will be more resonable so far.

Wait, so is the probe gonna be fixed? And why put the unfinished cockpit and external textures on hold for that? Seems like a much higher priority. I feel like the untextured missile pylons just stick out a lot at the moment and create an unfinished look.

Edited by Airhunter

Wait, so is the probe gonna be fixed? And why put the unfinished cockpit and external textures on hold for that? Seems like a much higher priority. I feel like the untextured missile pylons just stick out a lot at the moment and create an unfinished look.

We never claimed it's finished.

3. it will bring addtional drag, the FM have to consider this drag, nobody want to be forced to use a draggy plane.

I understand your thought process on this. With that in mind, please don't add a random delay to install it via groundcrew. If it can't be an option for the ME, then every single time most people start it up there will be an arbitrary and forced annoyance.

My choice would be to have it installed by default and an option for the ground crew to remove it if desired, regardless of whatever delay you decide to program into it.

Loving it, keep up the great work ~

L0op8ack, my concern with it not being fitted by default, and now your suggestion that the Mission designer won't be able to fit/remove the probe in the ME, is that players may launch on SP

missions that need the probe without fitting it themselves.

Perhaps another option is treating it like the Mirage's ECLAIR pod or the Gazelle's IR suppressor. It is added on its own 'pylon'.

Finally, I'm not sure mission designers in DCS could be accused of complaining about too many options. Having it as an option in the ME and in game would be the most flexible solution.

My choice would be to have it installed by default and an option for the ground crew to remove it if desired, regardless of whatever delay you decide to program into it.

I think,we will fly more often without, than with :)

Not install by default is better IMO

L0op8ack's concern was with the ME interaction - it's a pain to deal with to add support, programatically.

I agree with the additional pylon option, then it can be added during loadout selection.

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

let me put things more clear:

1. special option: completely controlled by player, mission creator is out

2. ME option, completely controlled by mission editor, but when #aircraft increase, it's a heavy job

3. radio ground crew, a more balanced way for both (i.e mission creator can add some macro in mission sortie or brief to do something, like MAGIC_IFF)

To me, 3 is better

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

let me put things more clear:

1. special option: completely controlled by player, mission creator is out

2. ME option, completely controlled by mission editor, but when #aircraft increase, it's a heavy job

3. radio ground crew, a more balanced way for both (i.e mission creator can add some macro in mission sortie or brief to do something, like MAGIC_IFF)

To me, 3 is better

Option 3, with the probe fitted by default would be the best option IMO.

Having a probe fitted will not lead to mission failure, not being able to AAR and running out of fuel will lead to mission failure.

Well that puts my wallet back into my pocket.

My commitment was to buy the module when the cockpit textures are better and now that it is on hold im not gonna buy it until its done.

Im sorry but AAR is not on my priority list but that decision is not up to me. Good luck though with the update :thumbup:

Edited by Mainstay

g8PjVMw.png

Well that puts my wallet back into my pocket.

My commitment was to buy the module when the cockpit textures are better and now that it is on hold im not gonna buy it until its done.

Im sorry but AAR is not on my priority list but that decision is not up to me. Good luck though with the update :thumbup:

Cool beans. Razbam is more your type of developers mate. Check them out. Very good looking modules.

Airplanes : A-10C II | AJS-37 | A/V-8B | F-4E | F-14A/B | F/A-18C | FC3 | JF-17 | M2000-C
Helicopters : AH-64D | CH-47F | Ka-50 III | Mi-24P | Mi-8MTV2 | SA342 | UH-1H

Other Modules : Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Afghanistan

TRAINED - LEARNING - LOW EXPERIENCE - ABANDONED

It's perfectly reasonable for a perspective customer to let a dev know what they will and won't buy. And mainstay wasn't even rude about it. However mainstay I play in VR and find the cockpit to be on par with most modules. Not quite F-14 or 16 yet but its has improved. Also you have to keep in mind the actual aircraft has a bare and too be honest ugly cockpit. That is not directed at Deka's artwork but the a actual design. I really like the module and give it a solid recommendation but more people should probably wait for EA modules to get cleaned up before buying so hold off if your not ready :thumbup:

Cool beans. Razbam is more your type of developers mate. Check them out. Very good looking modules.

:megalol:

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It's perfectly reasonable for a perspective customer to let a dev know what they will and won't buy. And mainstay wasn't even rude about it. However mainstay I play in VR and find the cockpit to be on par with most modules. Not quite F-14 or 16 yet but its has improved. Also you have to keep in mind the actual aircraft has a bare and too be honest ugly cockpit. That is not directed at Deka's artwork but the a actual design. I really like the module and give it a solid recommendation but more people should probably wait for EA modules to get cleaned up before buying so hold off if your not ready :thumbup:

Thank you for your input on the experience you have in VR and quality wise.

From what i understood the person in control of cockpit textures was in the hospital for a long time. I dont know if this is still the case but that was one of the reasons what made me decide to wait a bit longer back then (initial release). Did it get some work after this period or are the videos correct wich point out it requires more work et cetera. Because the mini update gives me the impression it still needs to be brought up to a level where it belongs.

g8PjVMw.png

The textures has been improved a lot. It is like Jester986 wrote... The real cockpit is sort of ugly and bare :D

Sadly the most impressive features of this module is often overlooked. The Special Options tab that let you adjust tdc axis sensitivity for each function like TGP, Air-Air radar etc. And you can set up your counter-measures too.

And maybe the best feature of any module! DATA CARTRIGE You can create a flightplan with waypoints and pre-planned targets in about a minute. Much faster and easier compared to the Viggen. It is a gamechanger once you start using it.