Keybinds won't save

S. Low

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=270603

I'm reposting my bug report here in this section as I think it's more appropriate here than under steam support.

I'm trying out the p51 during the free month. 3 times now in two days my keybinds have reverted. The first two times the keybinds reverted to default setting. Last night after the game crashed when I was trying to create and edit a fast mission my keybinds reverted to an interim set of binds before I had completed my keybind set up.

As I stated in the original post, I can go into the dcs config\input folder and find the lua file for the p51, and when I open it in text I can see my keybinds mentioned in there. I'm no programmer so I have zero idea as to why the game is screwing around with my keybinds.

This plane, and the spit, and the Normandy map and assets, are all beautiful products. But I refuse to pay any money for this absolute headache of rebinding keys. I don't even want to keep doing the free trial on these planes. I was prepared to spend the sale price of $60 for the map, assets, and plane, but geez. I'm just gonna get boddenplatte and then get the dcs stuff on a different sale if it's ever fixed.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

NEVER open a lua file in notepad it adds extra information when you close it making the file not usable.

Always open them in a program named Notepad ++ you will find it online here: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

Game crashes and even sometimes updates will wipe out your settings backup your saved games control settings. After this happens a few times it becomes normal to do this every once in a while. The more planes you have the worse it is to have to remap everything.

Are you sure, that you are editing proper bindings file ?? in save folder not in main installation folder. Key binds from inhalation folder is used only for resetting binds.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

I've seen something like this as well. It happened once I transitioned from a -25 to a -30. It seems like there are 2 control files DCS is using, and it seems to waffle between them randomly.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

1. There are TWO versions of the armed P51 mustang (the NA25 and the NA30). Each one needs it's controls set up independently - and do it in game, not via file edits, unless you're using notepad++ and are familiar with editing .lua files.

2. Bind controls in single player mode. Sometimes binds which are made whilst online don't take

3. Save duplicates, just in case

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

DCS doesn't currently show 2 different control files for the 2 different versions (-25, and -30). And I'm pretty confident I've loaded the -25 and gotten the my -30 control file.

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

I think too that -25 -30 has common config file.

But if you were setting up controls in the mission editor, game will not save this globally, it will save it in to mission.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

In theory both Mustangs should indeed use the same input folder (juts like both Spits), but I recall DCS not really working very reliably in this aspect and sometimes loosing all control assignments depending on which variant you played first (ditto for the Spits, unfortunately).

Manually creating a separate input folder used to be a primitive, but bulletproof solution to this problem (so now I've got two folders in Saved Games/DCS/Config/Input location: one named P-51D and the other named P-51D-30-NA). Their content is the same.

I don't know where Steam version saves the control settings though.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I've never EVER had this issue with any other module I own. I set up keybinds both in the main menu and in an instant action, or a mission, or a campaign. It has never mattered.

The keybinds reverted before I opened up the lua. The keybinds reverted before the game crashed. I mentioned the game crash to add to my sheer frustration.

I already purchased bodenplatte so I don't care. Fix it or don't, it's just ridiculous that such phenomenal pieces of work as ED's P-51 and Spit are held back so much by basic shit like keybind bugs. Seriously.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

I always joining MP server in order to change bindings or snap view, When i do this stuff from SP mission or from loaded mission of the editor, stuff is saved somewhere else because when i start another mission or join MP any changes are not present. I haven't tried edit key binds from menu level only because i like to validate my changes at the same time so editing it from menu level is no go for me.

And editing snap view from menu level is impossible anyway :P.

Oh before i start key/axis bind setup i always wipe out all default binds, save it and then key bind process may start.

Default binds are much more annoyance then any help for me. You can't use default binds because pitch axis is binded to all possible hardware you have connected to PC, i have pitch assign to rudder pedals to throttle, to stick at the same time, and same is with any other axis available. And when you try to edit assigns on top of that it is complete mess.

Edited by grafspee

I always joining MP server in order to change bindings or snap view, When i do this stuff from SP mission or from loaded mission of the editor, stuff is saved somewhere else because when i start another mission or join MP any changes are not present. I haven't tried edit key binds from menu level only because i like to validate my changes at the same time so editing it from menu level is no go for me.

And editing snap view from menu level is impossible anyway :P.

Oh before i start key/axis bind setup i always wipe out all default binds, save it and then key bind process may start.

Default binds are much more annoyance then any help for me. You can't use default binds because pitch axis is binded to all possible hardware you have connected to PC, i have pitch assign to rudder pedals to throttle, to stick at the same time, and same is with any other axis available. And when you try to edit assigns on top of that it is complete mess.

I don't think you are reading or otherwise listening to me. Why are you in here debating, arguing, or providing counter points to my bug report?

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Today after playing some IL-2 boddenplatte (where the controls actually save) I loaded up the DCS P-51 and ran another instant action mission on normandy, specifically dog fight, and magically my controls were loaded and worked properly. Then after turning off DCS to do something else and then turning it back on a bit later, I tried another instant action mission in the P-51, and hilariously the game decided to revert my keybinds not to default this time, but to some other "in-between" version of keybinds I had set up.

Lol what is this mess?

Is this related to the free month? Is it steam? Or is the p-51 module just so bad that it cannot load keybinds consistently? The flight models on the p-51, spit, and 109 already feel questionably unrealistic, but I'm no pilot so I guess I can't debate that point intelligently. What I can say intelligently is that a game as expensive as the average DCS module, and one that takes away dev time from the modern stuff specifically because "It's easy to train new devs with" should at the VERY LEAST be able to properly save and maintain the user keybinds.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

a lot of us had this issue yesterday, all was working well, went into a server all my bindings where all screwed up again.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

This is seriously broken in case of both the P-51 and the Spit. When I got my CV1, I decided to give the Warbirds another try in VR as it rendered to make AAR and chopper hoverworks a lot easier, although not until 256. Just to find out that despite the lua diffs were still there, the mappings were gone completely, reverted to default. No problem in the 109 and 190D though. But I just went ahead and remapped things to have some fun flying around with Sunset Shimmer just for the added mood. Now recently I wanted to fly the Pony again just to rediscover the mappings are gone again. Well, the lua diffs are still there, checked their content with np++, looking good. Then I wanted to know more, made a backup of that config folder and removed those files in case of the P-51. Of course, I had to remap things again which I did. Shut down DCS, files are back there due to remapping, looking pretty much like the old ones. Fired up DCS again, jumped into the same 51, controls are gone again. Didn't do all those shenanigans with removing files and redoing the mapping all over again with the Spit, but I'm pretty confident it acts the same way.

My 2¢ = It's rather they won't load. Needs fixing very badly. This is much worse than having to fly at 22fps in VR TBH.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Try to jump to both versions of the plane mk ix CW/non CW and -25 and -30 then try set up bindings.