Engine sound? Or the lack of?

RodBorza

Hello all,

It may sound strange (pun not intended) but I feel that the module is lacking some variation on engine sound for different power settings.

Let me explain: in the P-51 you know when you are losing or gaining speed by the sound of the engine. More power, louder engine sound.

But on the P-47, regardless of the power setting, everything I hear is the constant whining sound of the engine (or whatever is doing this humming sound), with no variation whatsoever.

I always have to check the instruments to see if I'm gaining or losing speed.

Maybe it is just me, maybe it is the way it is in real life, I don't know. If someone else noticed it, please let me know.

This is an amazing sim! 'Nuff said!:pilotfly:

YouTube: SloppyDog

yep noticed this too. I only hear the clicking sounds of the throttle itself, but no variation in engine sound. Maybe a very subtle change in tone, but very irritating in general :)

Favorite module: F16C 💥
Currently learning F15E 👨‍🏫
13900k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - Varjo Aero - TM Warthog Hotas - Pedals

Did you notice that this is an early access title? That is why you saved 20% on its price, to compensate for the fact that you will have to wait a while for it to be fully complete.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Did you notice that this is an early access title? That is why you saved 20% on its price, to compensate for the fact that you will have to wait a while for it to be fully complete.

Weird, it's almost as if this was the right time to point out things that are still lacking.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

So, a couple things to keep in mind.

The P-47 is a big plane, and you're not seated right behind the engine, you're quite a few feet back from the back row of cylinders.

The P-47 is also turbosupercharged. When you advance the boost lever, more of the actual exhaust gets funneled to the turbine, which is behind you. The airplane is quiet because the exhaust is not being fired out of 6-inch long stacks, its being ducted 6 ways to sunday, so its going to be quiet.

Unfortunately, there's a great many things that can be simulated and understood, one of them is that you're not feeling the engine in your butt.

The Oni abides, man✌️

Very nice cockpit cam video of the P-47:

We are not going to get the exhaust notes because of the turbo-charger system, but we should be getting the vibration and piston noise. I think that may be either not yet all in there, or possibly just running to low relative to the other noises.

That said, the exhaust noise from the exhaust in aircraft where you've got near direct line of sight to them is *very loud*

Compare the Kermi-cam of the F4F FM-2 with the over wing exhaust stacks vs the F4U with the underling exhaust stacks:

Weird, it's almost as if this was the right time to point out things that are still lacking.

Yes. My point exactly. If something is wrong with it, now it is time to tell ED.

So, a couple things to keep in mind.

The P-47 is a big plane, and you're not seated right behind the engine, you're quite a few feet back from the back row of cylinders.

The P-47 is also turbosupercharged. When you advance the boost lever, more of the actual exhaust gets funneled to the turbine, which is behind you. The airplane is quiet because the exhaust is not being fired out of 6-inch long stacks, its being ducted 6 ways to sunday, so its going to be quiet.

Unfortunately, there's a great many things that can be simulated and understood, one of them is that you're not feeling the engine in your butt.

Yeah. I believe you are right. Looking at the engine/intercooler/supercharger scheme it makes sense. As I fly with the trottle and booster linked all the time, that supercharger thing is on almost indefinitvely, that's why I can't hear the engine noise varation.

Very nice cockpit cam video of the P-47:

We are not going to get the exhaust notes because of the turbo-charger system, but we should be getting the vibration and piston noise. I think that may be either not yet all in there, or possibly just running to low relative to the other noises.

That said, the exhaust noise from the exhaust in aircraft where you've got near direct line of sight to them is *very loud*

Compare the Kermi-cam of the F4F FM-2 with the over wing exhaust stacks vs the F4U with the underling exhaust stacks:

Nice videos. Thank you for the links.

About the P-47 video..it is interesting. The engine sound is constant, and the whining sound is there. It seems ED got it right.

It's a new plane, we all will have to (re-)learn how to fly it.

• ED Team

Unfortunately there are two similar themes on the forum. I have to copy-paste my answer about the volume here:

Perhaps you expected something the same as the P51 or BF109 in sound. But alas, the P47 is a really quiet plane. If someone else from the WW2 aircraft we have presented flies next to him in the sky, you won’t even really hear him.

You watch and compare the simulator with YouTube videos, recorded with sound compressors. In life, he is really quiet. I present to you a real record from the cockpit with an open P47 canopy at idle when other planes fly nearby - https://yadi.sk/d/KVy8T91NAGHnFA

From the very beginning (in addition to flybys) you can hear the sound of the propeller, but not of the P47, but of another aircraft, which is really far away. Closer to the middle of the recording, this sound even gets brighter and louder than everything that sounds in the cockpit p47. The sound of the 47th in the cockpit is actually muddy and quiet on low rpms.

And the answer of horseback:

most if not all of their exhaust is usually going directly into the turbosuperchargers so that most of the engine noise is muffled compared to the P-40s, Mustangs, Corsairs and Hellcats that were also present.

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

While I agree with all of the evidence here as well as personal experience, the exterior view is also seemingly quiet too. For the F1 cockpit view however, I'm flying with the "helmet volume" checkbox left blank, and the P47 is the only aircraft that I need to do this in. That coupled with increasing my system volume up about 10% (not the DCS main volume slider) relative to what I fly everything else at, will give me a suitable sound to carry things out with. If overall volume received roughly a 10-15% boost that would be great.

While we're at it, Konstantin, would you consider tweaking the volume of generic "pop" sound when the engine catches during startup and similar "pops" when engine backfires during shutdown? I believe these are the same samples we've been having for quite a few years, but nowadays they're just quite a bit louder than all those new idle and low RPM sounds you created for DCS warbirds recently.

With rather quiet idle sound of Thunderbolt, this volume transition difference is even more noticeable here.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Just a comment, At Duxford, where we can see the B-17 and the P-47 fly, I was surprised at how quiet they sounded, not really the throb of 4 merlins with the Lancaster and nothing like as noisy as a Shackelton which gave you ten minutes warning it was inbound. However, yes a bit more 'volume' would be nice IMHO, But LOVE the P-47, It's brought me back to the Warbirds again.

I love the sound model, but I agree...I had to turn "hear like in helmet" off and crank up the volume. Speaking of crank, the start up sounds need to be boosted. There is virtually no starter noise, rather a silent crank. I know it's early access but I agree with the rest, this is when it needs to be brought up.

Lenovo k450e, Windows 10 Home, 64bit / Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz / 32GB Ram / DCS running off 500GB SSD / GeForce 1060 GPU / Oculus Rift cv1 / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/ Saitek combat pedals

I go with what btd said. We want a realistic model. Not a model that has boosted sounds just because it’s what we ‘think’ it should be like. The only thing that could be improved is the start up noise, not the starter noise. But the actual transition from cranking to engine start up. Not enough coughing and banging and there are a completely silent few seconds where the engine is running but the idling noise hasn’t begun yet. More spluttering please. WIP I presume. And that turbo noise when you disconnect it from the throttle at altitude and crank it up is simply superb!

Good Job ED!,

I go with what btd said. We want a realistic model. Not a model that has boosted sounds just because it’s what we ‘think’ it should be like.

I'm 100% on this, however, I will always request an uptick in volume for things you feel in your butt, like engine noise or the inertial starter windup

Because unfortunately, a virtual butt feels nothing :smartass:

The Oni abides, man✌️

I'm 100% on this, however, I will always request an uptick in volume for things you feel in your butt, like engine noise or the inertial starter windup

Because unfortunately, a virtual butt feels nothing :smartass:

Well do the best investment you can for dcs and get a buttkicker along with the software. You will feel everything and will never be able to fly without it.:thumbup:

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

You're conscious about the functionning of a constant speed propeller right ?

In the governing range ( " on speed " governor state, so generally in flight and not taxiing ), changing power ( meaning Manifold Pressure ) won't change at all the tone of the engine as it's spinning the exact same RPM due to CSU ( governor ) action, if no action is taken on the prop lever.

You can hear a slight change of sound level due to the increased horsepower ( and so exhaust gases pressure being delivered ) but that's it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

• ED Team

Dear all, Let's listen to real recordings of P-47 startup from the cockpit with opened canopy. It was recorded with professional sound equipment. To understand the recording level, note that at the very beginning of the recording, the pilot zips up his jacket

https://yadi.sk/d/B6knW-iMcNbWlw

Do you really want just a loud sound or a sound close to real?

While we're at it, Konstantin, would you consider tweaking the volume of generic "pop" sound when the engine catches during startup and similar "pops" when engine backfires during shutdown? I believe these are the same samples we've been having for quite a few years, but nowadays they're just quite a bit louder than all those new idle and low RPM sounds you created for DCS warbirds recently.

You're right. Some pop sounds were created separately for P47, and some are taken from general sounds for WW2 aircraft. I will fix it. Thanks.

Best regards,

Kanstantsin Kuzniatsou (btd)

Engine sounds need a precise and everything revamped.. this is not a Cessna.. and a radial when you actually fly them for real not from a Microphone that are not well done.. it sound like something close to a harley.. inside Now the wobble would be unacceptable in RL .. so imagine with bombs etc.. this is a war machine.. a weapon delivery system flight machine .. not a Dogfighter ofcourse but it is much stable in RL

Fly it like you stole it..

@uist1 Yes so!! .. listen what I am saying then.

I am listening. And I am listening to btd as he has recorded the real thing. I’ll stick with what he says thanks. I don’t know what Cessna’s you have heard but they must be pretty well modded with an R2800 up front. I’ve seen Snafu fly in the uk and what I heard at Duxford is pretty much what I hear in DCS. I’m happy.

Edited by uist1