US Carrier Fleet Mod

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn! I'd love to make a skin for those two beauties! :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

No. Kato modelled their F/A-18's to have a working hook by using the refueling key as it and use the F-15 airframe. The hook works, however you cannot catch a wire so the same would apply with any other airframe, just the Su-33.

A question came out of the VNAO forums.... if you model a working hook for a model, could you replace something else (like the Su-27) and will it work and still catch?

It depends on whether you talk about an AI or player controlled aircraft.

Or am I thinking that the hardcoding only recognizes the Su-33 as carrier capable?

As far as "player FM" is concerned yes :)

Or does it really require the hook be active so you can land on the carrier and then takeoff? Alfa?

No it has no influence on the physics involved. The hook movement is just a visual effect acitivated by the code - i.e. it "calls" a particular argument #, which in turn activates the animation stored in the 3D model. For AI controlled aircraft you can make anything "carrier capable" simply by altering a couple of lines in the Meinit - you will be able to set up a landing point leading to a carrier and the aircraft will appear to catch a wire regardless of whether the model has an animated hook or not :) .

But player control is a separate thing and there is no external access to modify this, so the Su-33 entry is the only one for which human controlled carrier trapping is possible.

JJ

Well it was a good idea man

Hehe yeah but thats the thing about modding in Lock-on. There are a lot of code restrictions that you cannot do anything about, so IMHO the trick is to try and choose the most "subtle" approach that works best under those restrictions - hence my earlier comments in regards to the carrier swap-outs.

..thanks!

You are welcome Eric :)

JJ

Eric, Kato figured out how to get multiple models using the F-15 in the same mod last year for VFAT. http://forum.virtualthunderbirds.com/viewtopic.php?t=1817&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

The link shows some screen shots of it. Possible of a Tomcat and Super Hornet sitting next to each other. Looks like it is a reality. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And let me guess, there's no way to fake the funk and have two Su-33s at the same time right?

No because you cannot have two aircraft entries sharing the same CLSID in the Meinit......and the CLSID is what links "player FM" to a paricular aircraft entry in the lockon.exe.

JJ

Here's a dumb question. Would you be able to use the AI F-14 flight dynamics for the model and still be able to trap? I would think that there would be a way to get both the F-14 and Super Hornet on the Su-33 with their own AI flight dynamics? (obviously there isnt a Super Bug in the game, but you could use the regular Hornet AI flight dynamics)

Rhino2007VBA_sig.jpg

A update from Racer on the F-14D Tomcat. :thumbup:

I have finished the modifications to the spoilers.

Man is there the stuff hanging out on this wing! icon_e_biggrin.gif

When we add in the swing of the wing this will be an animation

masterpiece. (Or nightmare more than likely) lol

(And yes I know the aileron goes down with the flap but it need it's separate animation

for the aileron movement)

I will generate the texture maps for the wings next and then move to the Super Bug wings.

Total Polys on the F-14D thus far: 6752

Wing1.jpg

F-14D20Wing202.jpg

F-14D20Wing203.jpg

F-14D20Wing204.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Another update from Racer,

Well we have finished the texture map for the F14-D wings.

Please access the link below for the map.

May the best man win. icon_e_wink.gif

And a picture of what it looks like.

The map is labeled to know what is where.

Now back to the Super Bug for you Hornet fans out there.

F-14D20Wing205.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Racer is just a beast. Now the Super Hornet has wings. :pilotfly:

Racer:

"Well, I am whipped now.

I have finished the F-18F wing texture map now for you texturing pleasure.

Total F-18F Super Bug Poly Count Thus Far: 5764"

F-18201.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]