Mission 5 - workaround

Zarma

Hi guys.

If you are stuck in mission 5 with Prince telling he is climbing to 28k but still agressive, let him hit you 3 times with the gun (you are invulnerable at this time). He will turn friendly and go back to the mission.

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

For me I'm missing most of the voice overs and it seems to go into a bit of a limbo state.

I receive following messages:

- Prince turns north climbing

- Calling for saddled and speed

- If we are not at W2 yet, I can call for radios but after this everything goes silent

- It gives me a prewarning for turn to W3 if I haven't yet called for radios

- After that I can press space for commenting the turn but this doesn't give any audio feedback, only the prompt goes away.

- At fight, I'm not getting any voice overs (except once out of 5 tries, then we did call tapes etc, but Prince never disengaged after itself called joker), only once I did 3 hits and then called joker and I managed it to disengage but didn't get any voice until I was already at marshal and only then strike woke up saying Prince is at Waterloo red.

I think it is related to guard because on when you switch AUX to Strike, GRCV cannot be pressed on Comm 2. It can be pressed on PRI but then the COMM 1 will go from AM to FM.

If PRI 1 FLIGHT is 300.100 AM and AUX 2 STRIKE is 277.600 AM, there is no way you can monitor Guard on FM.

Ah: It seems to be a bug in the UFC, going GRCV on Comm 1 will swap AM to FM and you need to manually swap back as Guard is on AM too.

Edited by Jalava

I thought I'd just ask here rather than making another mission 5 thread - when it's suggested that we tip Prince's wing over... we're not supposed to do that, right?

There is a chance that I got impatient and immediately tried to do it. It did not end well. The AI attempted avoidance and avoided himself right into me.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

I am stuck on Mission 5. I have read the workaround BD put up on his website but at best it is inconsistent.

First attempt couldn't get Prince to call joker. After the first run he breaks off and when he calls "turning in fights on" he kinda just turns in and doesn't engage.

Second attempt I just selected "Prince Hits you" From the F10 menu, even if he wasn't in firing position and reset the engagement. He again eventually just flies away. I give up and proceed to return to mother and try to skip to next mission. Flying to mother Prince's trigger finally switches and proceed to the mission. I get in the dogfight with the Su-33 but the Su-33 crashes into me ending the mission. That was frustrating to have all that progress disappear.

Third attempt do the initial breakaway Prince engages. I do a lazy arc to get Prince to hit me. He makes a couple bursts (which I only later saw in Tacview) doesn't hit me then breaks off the attack. I call a sidewinder shot and Prince calls for a breakaway he repositions and then turns back in but doesn't engage just flies past me. I try a couple different F10 calls (Prince Hits Me. Sidewinder shot, Joker) then Prince just flies in a straight line and lands at an airfield in Iran. So then I just decide to skip the mission. Return to mother land and end the mission. Then I go the next mission I am still at Mission 5.

Ok I did get the mission to work. Here is what worked for me:

1st Engagement: Not sure it matters but I made sure I was in SIM, MASTER ARM ON, and CATM-9 selected. Called Fox 2 Head-on before the merge at ~0.7 nm. On the cut away continued on a straight heading. After continue and fights on turned back toward Prince.

2nd Engagement: Same things as before head-on Fox 2 call at about 0.7nm. After cut away continue on straight heading. After continue and fights on turned back toward Prince.

3rd Engagement: Select Guns and call gun shot Head-on at about 0.7nm. After cut away continue straight on heading. After continue and fights on turn back toward Prince.

4th Engagement: Select Guns. Continue past merger and then maneuver behind Prince and call guns with trigger down on Price.

Shortly after that Prince called Joker and then the mission continue as per designed.

Hope this helps anyone get past the mission until the next patch. The let Prince gun you three times work around didn't seem to get me past this stage of the mission without Prince landing in Iran.

There's definitely some weird AI behaviour being exhibited, shocking for DCS, I know. One of the few times I've got Prince to continue correctly after Joker, he then began a Mach .35 climb to 28,000... he didn't make it to 28 by the time we reached the waypoint and promptly disappeared and reappeared 3,000 feet above me.

Another time he dove straight into the water at 500kts and seconds later came flying back out of it like a bat out of hell.

Not to say any of this is anything to do with you, Baltic Dragon! I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. And frankly I can't wait to see what you're capable of when ED sorts out the AI :-D

EDIT: Is there another issue in the mission or am I being a bit stupid? You're told not to use DCS comms until prompted, but I never receive any prompt even though I'm sitting off his wing at 8,000 (though the dialogue says he should be at 5,000?).

Edited by LooseSeal

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

There is something definitely wrong, and having red Prince (the one during duel) to behave as I wanted him to took much more time than setting the Bandar Abbas strike from M10, which is way more complex.. or should be. But it seems this only worked until the patch releasing the campaign. Going to play with it tonight and see if I can make Prince do what he should...

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

I've flown the mission today. Had no issues with Red Prince, or any comms with him though I stayed on channels 1-1 throughout the whole flight. He never told me to go on Guard.

The problems started when

he lost consciousness. I shouted at him and then nothing was happening and we simply flew towards Iran. Then at some point I decided to switch to Strike on PRI and heard the report about situation - he told to turn west, I declared an emergency then radio silence. At some point I switched to Guard and heard part of a conversation between Iran ATC, AWACS, myself. At that point we're deep into Iran's territory. Then all of a sudden Prince blows up and the next thing I know I'm dogfighting with some Su-33. WTF, but OK. We flew couple of circles, then he bugged out, I refueled with the emergency tanker and came back home. Still, from the moment Prince went lights out until I refueled I was in constant state of "what's going on"?

The idea and story is good, however due to whatever DCS/Scripting reasons, half of the mission made no sense. Will need to re-fly it at some point.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

I've flown the mission today. Had no issues with Red Prince, or any comms with him though I stayed on channels 1-1 throughout the whole flight. He never told me to go on Guard.

Early on in the mission you get a prompt to tell Prince about the radios. He then tells you to go Strike on Pri and enable Guard. Once he goes unconscious the mission unfolds on Strike and Guard. This is why you probably missed most of the discussion. The discussion follows the book and includes conservation with a few different parties.

Early on in the mission you get a prompt to tell Prince about the radios. He then tells you to go Strike on Pri and enable Guard. Once he goes unconscious the mission unfolds on Strike and Guard. This is why you probably missed most of the discussion. The discussion follows the book and includes conservation with a few different parties.

Good to know, thanks. I didn't get that prompt for whatever reason. The first one was a comment about a turn. Maybe this was due to late rejoin. I took my time to go though items on cat and then flew outbound to 7DME. I caught up with him mid way before W2 and W3.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Having done this mission a number of times, I have gotten formed up before WP2 and the turn to WP3. For me it has gone, get close to Prince then "Press Space to tell him you saddled" and then a minute or two later you get another prompt where Flip reminds Price to change radios. Then Prince gives the instruction to turn and shortly after you get prompt to debrief Prince on his turn.

Maybe the manual or this missions briefing should say that "enabling GUARD" means GRCV in coms, it seems that other missions have it enabled from start. This mission 5 is confusing if not enabling guard because you need to be also listening this third channel (GUARD) that is listed in kneeboard so some might try to change channels to it on this mission 5.

The after join prompt for changing radio channels worked for me. And wingman AI scripting worked trough the mission correctly.

Edited by RpSPT
Changed first sentence to state briefing, added more info

Maybe the manual or this missions briefing should say that "enabling GUARD" means GRCV in coms, it seems that other missions have it enabled from start. This mission 5 is confusing if not enabling guard because you need to be also listening this third channel (GUARD) that is listed in kneeboard so some might try to change channels to it on this mission 5.

The after join prompt for changing radio channels worked for me. And wingman AI scripting worked trough the mission correctly.

THIS. I will add explanation to designer’s notes at the beginning to avoid confusion. It was clear to me but I can see what the problem is.

I wanted to add some minor things I noticed about also about this mission.

1. When you dogfight Prince it seems no matter how many times you hit him he will keep calling cut away and then start the fight again until he hits joker. If he hits you 3 times it seems to progress or if you use the F10 option and say that you are at joker after you hit him 3 times. I did not see anything that mentions this is an option until like my third time through and he hit me and I used the F10 option to call a hit.

2. I also had the confusion about the guard radio situation until I looked at this thread.

3. I also had the issue where if I tried to get close to Prince and change his course, the AI would bug out and crash into me.

4. I also had a minor issues with the tanker. When it decended it went to like 7500ft not 5k on crs 180 stayed there for a bit then while i was hooked up for a bit started decending to 5k and slowed down to like 250kts.

I also have a question on this mission. I've finished the mission second time round manually switching to the Guard channel, since I didn't know how to monitor it. I was googling "how to monitor a third channel" only up in here I saw the "GRCV", and was able to find that in the plane's manual.

Other than that... nail biting mission. I hooked up with Texaco with 810 Gallons fuel remaining.

Edited by J3tBl4st

• 4 weeks later...

I just played this mission again today, and noticed that there is a confusion on radio channels in the pop-up messages. When returning from the hostile airspace after the "encounter", the tooltip says to switch to Departure on AUX to contact the tanker and remain on CH1 on PRI. However, there is no Departure freq listed on AUX comm plan. So maybe this should be Departure on PRI and Strike on AUX?

While fumbling around with frequencies I missed some radio calls, but was able to refuel and finish the mission.

Edited by MagicSlave

• 4 weeks later...

While indeed it is not listed, it was done intentionally - with just a bit of cross checking you can easily fulfill the instructions (by looking at the freq for Departure on primary radio and then just typing it on aux). If I am not mistaken, it is also pre-programmed under CH 5 on Aux too :) so I will leave it as is now if that's OK :)

• 2 months later...

by me Prince is diving into the sea.. Tried the mission 2 times and same results. I checked in Tacview and the G he got before diving into ocean was only 4.5, so I guess he did not black out. I will try tomorrow once more and I hope this time all goes smooth and I can pass the mission