Do I correctly see (VR) pilot body improvements here?

sirrah

I just stepped into the Hornet again, after having a brief affair with some other modules last couple of weeks *giggety*, and I thought I noticed that the pilot body looked different/better.

Especially the pilot harness looks more detailed than I can remember. Also (I was flying the first mission of Raven One over the PG) I can't remember ever seeing the pilot overall being desert tan.

Did ED secretly gifted us some improvements here? Or did I just miss the news? :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Maybe. They are reworking the Hornet pilot alltogether as per one of their recent newsletters. Utilizung the new skeletal model and animations.

Now that you mention it, I did see that news message. I just didn't expect to see gradual changes and assumed they would at some point replace it entirely.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I just stepped into the Hornet again, after having a brief affair with some other modules last couple of weeks *giggety*, and I thought I noticed that the pilot body looked different/better.

Especially the pilot harness looks more detailed than I can remember. Also (I was flying the first mission of Raven One over the PG) I can't remember ever seeing the pilot overall being desert tan.

Did ED secretly gifted us some improvements here? Or did I just miss the news? :P

The first person pilot body was wearing a tan coloured flight suit? Which livery was that with? Very cool!

Anyone use the pilot body in VR?

I certainly never would.

I pretty much never fly modules that don't have a VR pilot. I bought them, yes, but I'm eagerly waiting for pilot bodies to be added (Viper, Tomcat, Warthog II, AV-8B, to name a few.. :music_whistling:).

In my opinion, sitting in an empty cockpit while seeing the stick, throttle and pedals move, just feels so unrealistic. I like the cramped and tight feeling I get when seeing legs and arms. Even if those arms block some parts of the side panels during startup. If you ever sat in the real thing, you know what cramped feeling I mean :smilewink:.

Anyways... Let's not make this thread about whether the pilot body feature is needed or not. That has been discussed to death. Some people like it, some don't..

• Like 1

System specs:

In my opinion, sitting in an empty cockpit while seeing the stick, throttle and pedals move, just feels so unrealistic. I like the cramped and tight feeling I get when seeing legs and arms. Even if those arms block some parts of the side panels during startup. If you ever sat in the real thing, you know what cramped feeling I mean :smilewink:.

It is funny how opinions change. I liked the pilot body previously but not anymore since started to use years back hand controllers to operate aircraft as I have only real throttle/stick functions binded to HOTAS and all rest I do using the 3D cockpit by moving hands etc.

Since then it feels totally out of experience when I see that my hands move in cockpit as the virtual gloves, but the 3D pilot body stays there with hand on throttle and stick. It is like I would be reaching behind someone to operate aircraft.

That is why I would love to see pilot models to have skeleton hands as well head animated so that one can see it in mirrors when leaning and arms follow the gloves when hands are in use.

Other reason is that for proper world scaling, the pilot body feels like 15 year old me.... Skinny kid in a cockpit. And if I scale world to body proper size, I am in huge cockpit.

Those models are beautiful and it is just sad to miss them.

If we ever get even such things as 3D skeleton modeled pilots that would reach to press functions that even keyboard user presses, it could become cool feature.

Just an smooth and fast fluid animation that body arms moves to click all things. Huge work for 3D animators but it is doable.

That could be icing on the cake as final touchups for 3D pilots.

I am waiting the new pilots models be updated and added, and it is difficult really to track that what has latest and greatest versions as there has been so much teasing in past but waiting to be added.

So does hornet already have it or not?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

If we ever get even such things as 3D skeleton modeled pilots that would reach to press functions that even keyboard user presses, it could become cool feature.

Just an smooth and fast fluid animation that body arms moves to click all things. Huge work for 3D animators but it is doable.

Perfectly doable, some ex Air Force pilot shown on YT F-35 'simulator' named "VTOL VR", far less realistic than DCS but with the whole pilot body moving in the cockpit with you, manipulate all the controls, operate DDIs, handles, switches etc, he was even dancing inside the cockpit :)

BTW. This whole sim has been done by ONE SINGLE guy!

So it's perfectly doable and probably less time consuming than one may think.

It is funny how opinions change. I liked the pilot body previously but not anymore since started to use years back hand controllers to operate aircraft as I have only real throttle/stick functions binded to HOTAS and all rest I do using the 3D cockpit by moving hands etc.

Since then it feels totally out of experience when I see that my hands move in cockpit as the virtual gloves, but the 3D pilot body stays there with hand on throttle and stick. It is like I would be reaching behind someone to operate aircraft.

That is why I would love to see pilot models to have skeleton hands as well head animated so that one can see it in mirrors when leaning and arms follow the gloves when hands are in use.

Other reason is that for proper world scaling, the pilot body feels like 15 year old me.... Skinny kid in a cockpit. And if I scale world to body proper size, I am in huge cockpit.

That could be icing on the cake as final touchups for 3D pilots.

I am waiting the new pilots models be updated and added, and it is difficult really to track that what has latest and greatest versions as there has been so much teasing in past but waiting to be added.

So does hornet already have it or not?

I use PointCtrl, so I also click everything manually in the cockpit.

During pretty much all missions I only have to hide the body once (in the Hornet)

During start-up I hide the body for:

FCS reset

OBOGS

TO-trim

and ok, I have the AAR switch bound to my hotas.

By the way:

In my OP I didn't realize that the Raven One campaign came with it's own skins (and apparently also pilot and helmet skins). So maybe I was was just seeing that :)

System specs:

To be honest i don't understand this kind of discussions. There is an option to hide the pilot body. If you like it (like me) - just enjoy it. If you don't like it - just switch it off - you can even keep it off by selecting it in the settings. There is no need for a discussion in my opinion.

• Like 1

Anyone use the pilot body in VR?

I certainly never would.

Every single time, unfortunately the Hornet is the only module that I own which as the pilot body. A10C I/II doesn't, F16C doesn't, F14B doesn't. Immersion when in VR with pilot body is great, without it I feel like Lt. Col. Dan from Forrest Gump - "I don't have any legs!"

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 1

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

They've certainly improved the head movement (visible via mirrors). Head movement tracks 1:1 with your head movement in real life. Can't wait until they add the shadow of head movement back, they had this probably about a year ago, but unfortunately removed it for some reason and hasn't been back since. Quite immersive seeing the shadow move with you head movement 1:1 as well.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Can't wait until they add the shadow of head movement back, they had this probably about a year ago, but unfortunately removed it for some reason and hasn't been back since. Quite immersive seeing the shadow move with you head movement 1:1 as well./QUOTE]

Yep, that was a nice feature. Hope it returns.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I m not in for a pilot body but having it for head shadows could really be a plus! In the hornet, in VR, you could then be able to shade your DDI's with your head when you have sun in the back.

Could be very helpful indeed...

• Like 1

Rig: MB Gigabite z390UD, CPU Intel I7 8700k, RAM 32G DDR4 3200 Gskill ripjaws, GPU MSI RTX2080SuperOC, HDD Crucial mx500 1tb M2 sata, PSU Corsair 850W, watercooling Corsair h100,

Controlers TM f/a 18 stick on Virpil warbrd base, TM cougar f16 stick on cougar base, Cougar F16 throttle on TUSBA, ch pedals, TM cougar MFD

27" monitor with trk IR 5 and HP Reverb HMD.

Modules F18, F16, F86, Mig15, FW 190D9, Nellis range map, Aggr campaign, Middle East map

I m not in for a pilot body but having it for head shadows could really be a plus! In the hornet, in VR, you could then be able to shade your DDI's with your head when you have sun in the back.

Could be very helpful indeed...

I used to do this when the feature was implemented. It's also immersive when you can see the hose for the mask moving as you pan your head. Really hope they add this feature back in. About to go dig through to find my original 'wish list' request and give it a buuuump.

Cheers,

Ziptie

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 3/22/2021 at 5:01 AM, tigger6 said:

I would also enjoy it if the kneeboard was on the flightsuit...

It is....

Cheers,

Ziptie