HP Reverb G2 - What are your thoughts?

hansangb

Stepped up from the G1. Overall improvements in several areas.

Comfort- better fit. I think longer stints like 2- 4 hours will be more comfortable. Clearer, brighter and better contrast. If there was any screen door effect in the G1, it's basically non-existent in the G2. That's huge. I miss having the 3.5mm jack to use my own earbuds and mic, but the new speakers and mic are a step up. The G2 is a tad heavier than the G1. 500g/1.1 lbs vs 550g/1.2 lbs. The cable to/from the HMD is thinner and less intrusive than the G1. The G2 faceplate is much easier to remove and manage than the G1 which helps with cleaning.

Plug and play with existing WMR. Had to tweak SteamVR like everyone above. Can hold a solid 45 fps (like the G1) with motion smoothing on. With smoothing off, it's hovering around 50-70, but that really depends on the map, number of objects, altitude low vs high, # of players (if multiplayer), etc. Although, it's jittery when looking around with smoothing off. Still trying to find that balance. Perhaps somewhere in the the Nvidia control panel.

• Like 1

I just got my G2 yesterday and it looks and runs pretty well so far. First impressions are that 1) the fit and feel is MUUUCH better. It fits on my face much better than my G1. It's a tiny bit heavier but feels more solid. 2) Colors seem a bit richer and vibrant. 3) Resolution is a bit better, but not earth shattering better. But that last point might change over time as I use it more. Overall, I'm really liking it and glad I stepped up from the G1 to the G2. It's not a night and day difference, but a subtly better overall feel and look. Probably more correctly a G1.5 rather than a 2.0 generation change.

The good news is I plugged it in and it powered right up and worked on my existing WMR and Steam VR settings. So no struggling to get it to work. It was plug n play but ofc I already ahd WMR and Steam set up for the Reverb G1, so it should have worked as it did.

The only annoyance so far is the right ear audio keeps cutting in and out intermittently. I have to touch the ear piece or juggle it sometimes to get the sound back. But when it works, the sound is really good. Much better than the G1.

I have disabled the G2 audio and moved to earbuds plugged into my Creative sound on PC.

Not due to sound cutting in and out, just wanted better - to me the G2 off ear headphones are just too quiet for my tastes, and of course I hear

ambient noise. Loving the sound from the earbuds, plus complete isolation from ambient noise.

And plenty of loudness! The extra wire is quite small in diameter and really does not bother me.

The sound quality of the G2 headphones is quite good, again just wanted more loudness. I enabled bass boost and other enhancements in the sound properties for it, but still just a little quiet for my tastes. I like rockin sound.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have disabled the G2 audio and moved to earbuds plugged into my Creative sound on PC.

Not due to sound cutting in and out, just wanted better - to me the G2 off ear headphones are just too quiet for my tastes, and of course I hear

ambient noise. Loving the sound from the earbuds, plus complete isolation from ambient noise.

And plenty of loudness! The extra wire is quite small in diameter and really does not bother me.

The sound quality of the G2 headphones is quite good, again just wanted more loudness. I enabled bass boost and other enhancements in the sound properties for it, but still just a little quiet for my tastes. I like rockin sound.

Hey Don,

What earbuds do you recommend for sound isolation? I am not an audio guy, but I really like your idea of using earbuds. Things tend to get even warmer with my big ass headphones over the VR headset, plus it's a pain for me to put everything on and off.

MIles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

OK, so update from SystemActive. I've got a week and a half to wait! In the UK Tuesday 1 Dec.

Quote:

We had our update meeting with HP this morning and we are passing on this information as promised.

We were inundated with calls and emails following last weeks update. Quite rightly customers were requesting delivery expectation for those who pre-ordered August onwards.

It is with great pleasure we can announce much better news than we anticipated. So here goes:

• Those that pre-ordered by 31st July will receive their orders on Tuesday 1st December (Really sorry guys this has slipped another day!)
  • Those that pre-ordered between 1st August and 30th October will receive their orders by Thursday 10th December

We will follow up with another update for those who pre-ordered after October 30 as soon as we hear more from HP.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hey Don,

What earbuds do you recommend for sound isolation? I am not an audio guy, but I really like your idea of using earbuds. Things tend to get even warmer with my big ass headphones over the VR headset, plus it's a pain for me to put everything on and off.

MIles

Well I am not an expert on brands of earbuds in the least, I just searched for some that had extended cord that would reach my PC.

This is what I got and am pretty pleased with them.

I removed the headset earphones (lightened it up a tad) and disabled the headset audio (not mic) in the WMR setting menu.

I have the earbuds plugged into my onboard Creative sound jack. Plenty of options to set sound preferences in the Creative software.

No problem with weakened sound any more, and no sound filtering in from the outside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hello all, long time DCS, first time VR. I got a reverb G2 and I'm lost. I don't use steam but I keep seeing references to Steam VR. Any thoughts or suggestions on taking the plunge from Track-ir to VR? I know its a new device and I'm finding reference material for getting it working with DCS (non steam) rather frustrating. Thanks in advance!

Just my opinion but the "sweet spot" in the Reverb is more noticeable than the Rift S . It could be the higher resolution causing that effect.

Hmm, don't know about that as the G1 has the same res, but quite a small sweet spot.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Hello all, long time DCS, first time VR. I got a reverb G2 and I'm lost. I don't use steam but I keep seeing references to Steam VR. Any thoughts or suggestions on taking the plunge from Track-ir to VR? I know its a new device and I'm finding reference material for getting it working with DCS (non steam) rather frustrating. Thanks in advance!

What exactly are you having issues with the new G2? For starters, make sure you have the latest Windows 10 build. Windows Mixed Reality Portal will be updated automatically. As for SteamVR- assuming you have Steam installed- look for and install Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR. SteamVR will allow you to make some resolution and other tweaks for games.

Launch Mixed Reality Portal

Launch SteamVR.

To use VR in DCS, in main menu of DCS, click on the options (gear) icon up top. Then go to the VR tab to the far right.

Check the box for Enable Virtual Reality Headset.

Check the box for use mouse (recommended) unless you plan to use the hand controllers.

Click OK at the bottom right and DCS will restart in VR.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

I was questioning my purchase until I finally got to try it tonight. My experience is with the RIFT (not S) and recently with just using trackIR and a 27”1440pV monitor. I was worried my system wasn’t enough for the g2.

Surprisingly, I found it very playable at first attempts, multiplayer only, so no complicated mission for my cpu to compete with. I was thinking I would neee both a CPU and GPU upgrade, and while that might still be in the cards the existing system works well enough for now, even downtown in PG.

I followed recommendations on the PD=1.0 herein and and making sure no supersampling on steam VR... also followed Thuds recommendations on the nvidia application specific settings.

I was 100 percent expecting to need an upgrade to my 1080ti but was surprised by how it was so much smoother than expected. No way near 90fps, mind you, but I’m satisfied for now...

I found the entirety of the Viper cockpit gauges are clearly visible. I experience no ghosting or stuttering. It’s easier to read my MFDs than it was on my 1440p flat screen. It’s also easier to visually spot ground targets from the air. Compared to my RIFT this is a a significant upgrade. With the RIFT I need to map a zoom key to read the cockpit or lean in, now I just look. What’s really amazing is that and frame rates have not actually suffered because of the PD / supersampling that is no longer needed.

In short, while I’m sure I’ll want to upgrade at a point of my choosing, I can live with my 1080t for now and upgrade when the market conditions are more favorable.

And one more thing. After not flying in VR since June I used the G2 for about two hours tonight and found it to be a better visual experience than my monitor and at the same time my eyes felt very relaxed after using it and it was so much more comfortable than what I was used to.

Great to hear you're satisfied with your purchase, and don't suffer the same buyer's remorse that I did. Happy virtual flying, and I hope to join you some day in the not-too-distant future!

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I have logged many gaming hours in the Reverb G2 since getting it last Friday.

Both in sims and in other VR games that use the controllers.

Overall I am extremely pleased - coming from a Rift S.

So far the device is working flawlessly for me. I am surprised the controllers tracking is as good as it is, spent part of yesterday and much of today playing VR game that uses the controllers heavily and did not have an issue. Other than already wearing down the original set of batteries that came with them.

Initial installation and setup was a bit of a pain for me, after getting everything working properly together it has been smooth sailing.

I still like to tinker a little and try different things but that is just me.

Overall I am quite satisfied and feel it was well worth the cost of admission.

Don B

Hey Don,

MIles

I have the Bose wired ear buds like theses. I got them on sale at Best Buy for something like $50 back in the spring. https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundSpo...a-844317911949

Love them!

PS - I do miss the headphone jack on the G1. The new G2 ear speakers are a huge improvement over the G1 - but I still think I would prefer the earbuds for better immersion.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I got my G2 2 days ago and wanted to share some thoughts on it and perhaps get some feedback on something I noticed.

First of all the colors are better and it does look clearer than the g1. The fit is good and prevents light bleed and I find it comfortable. The tracking is better I haven't found myself losing tracking yet when looking down and on start up it finds my room space almost immediately sometimes the g1 would fight me from time to time.

In dog fights for example right after a head on merge I can look back and keep the other plane in my fov and not lose him. Being aware of his locating right after the merge is noticeably easier this is likley due to the better edge to edge clarity.

Yes the G2 is a great improvement and Im happy.

Here are some things that are unexpected:

1) Yes its clearer but perhaps not the way people think it is. Its clearer because it doesn't have the perceived mura yes its still there but now you have to go way way way out of your way to find it. Sit in the cliff house and stare right at that white blank wall then remember to look for it and you can pick it out. in the G1 I would notice it playing DCS it would show up on the sky / clouds all the time. Not with the G2 in game its a total non factor I cant break it out in any condition. The lenses are better and the sweet spot is larger giving sharper image over a larger % of the FOV. Finally its likley that a steam issue possible made its way into many reviews that didnt notice the issue. I wanted to do a direct comparison with my g1 which I always ran at 180% SS. I plugged in the G2 and I think it remember the default 180 value and I was like wow this is way better cliff house looked really good and then I went into DCS and was like wow big improvement then I noticed my FPS was down quite a bit. Ah ha. Its a totally different slider value for the G1 vs the G2 for the G1 180% is 2964 x 2900 for the G2 its 4252x4156. To compare fair the G2 must be set to 88% which is 2972x2908. Reviewers said they set to 100% well if you set the G1 to 100% that is 2208x2164 But if you set the G2 to 100% thinking its a fair comparison you get 3168x3100 thats about equal to the G1 at 200% SS. So im sure that gave some people the impression that the G2 is better than the G1 by more than it really is. If you set them both to equal resolution and pick a reference object (I used text in the p51) the G2 has a slight improvement if you are looking direct at the text the G2 has a bigger improvement as you move more to the edge of the fov due to the bigger sweet spot. So now im suspect of a lot of these comparison videos....

2) I think I have a harder time focusing on particular items in the G2 and I was hoping another G1 owner might be able to provide some feedback here. I have good vision no glasses. IPD adjustments dont seem to help. For whatever reason the Wingspan lenght slider in the p51(reference object) "no hand hold" on the gun sight is harder to focus on. It feels like its closer to my face than it looks and it seems like I struggle to stop from getting double vision on the numbers it feels a little bit unnatural vs the G1 which was non factor.

The other item is FPSVR frame counter. I have mine set to left side of screen when not using hand controls. So I usually just look low out the left side of the canopy to see it. No issues with G1. With G2 its pretty tough and I seem always have a slight bit of double vision trying the read FPS for example. I noticed this right away. I have no idea why its fine in G1 but gives me issues with G2. Am I the only one?

Thanks

After 6 days now of using the G2, I'm completely satisfied with it, put my remaining G1s up for sale, and ordered a 2nd G2 for my other system as well. I've got it dialed in now after a bit of messing about in various settings, I'll post my nVidia control panel/WMR/SVR settings later tonight.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I'll post my nVidia control panel/WMR/SVR settings later tonight.

That would be awesome to see your settings. Please make sure to post your system specs as well.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Thanks Don and Notso for the links. Since my hearing is shot anyway, I ordered from the $17.99 Amazon link instead of the $130.00 one. I still have kids at home to feed and pay for their college.

Thanks again,

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

OK I did a search and wasnt satisfied with the results so I will ask the experts here...............with standalone DCS (open Beta)is it REALLY necessary to use SteamVR with the G2 running DCS, Sorry if this is an old question(to you guys) but my G2 arrives monday and I really dont want to run steam if I dont have to, Im getting a lot of opinions and decided to come to you fellas, I bought this HMD strictly for DCS and IL2.

OK I did a search and wasnt satisfied with the results so I will ask the experts here...............with standalone DCS (open Beta)is it REALLY necessary to use SteamVR with the G2 running DCS, Sorry if this is an old question(to you guys) but my G2 arrives monday and I really dont want to run steam if I dont have to, Im getting a lot of opinions and decided to come to you fellas, I bought this HMD strictly for DCS and IL2.

As of right now, SteamVR is the only way to run DCS in the G2. ED may some day implement native support, but nobody knows when that will be. For WMR headsets like the G2, you will also need to install another Steam program called "SteamVR For WMR".

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I got mine today. I updated from an Oculus CV1. The build quality seemed a bit better on the oculus. I noticed that right away. I mean that thing has had some hours on it and it's still going strong. It took me a bit to get used to the WMR and having to run steam VR. Not a bit deal but kind of had to figure it out.

I tested it out on DCS, American Truck Sim and Elite Dangerous so far. Im very impressed! I can read gauges now! I was a bit surprised I could run the G2 on a founders 1080 as well.

Head tracking is good. Fits good. Sound and mic seem good. I did have to turn my sounds in all my games up a bit as the earpiece doesn't touch my ear like oculus did.

Im happy so far. Cant wait to upgrade my card now.

• Like 1

Just ordered mine on back orders, without controllers since I don't intend to play any other games than DCS in the near future, it will do.

My provider (SystemActive) sent me an email:

Just to let you know — we've received your order #5444, and it is now being processed:

I tested it out on DCS, American Truck Sim and Elite Dangerous so far. Im very impressed! I can read gauges now! I was a bit surprised I could run the G2 on a founders 1080 as well.

That would be nice, since I'm gonna have to use my 1080Ti for some times...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

That would be awesome to see your settings. Please make sure to post your system specs as well.

Please, please show us your settings.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Rift CV1 user; I bought the G2 and have issues running the G2 on DCS; for some reason all the VR compositors open and steam VR conflicts with Oculus VR app causing issues. My FPS is at a dismal 15 to 32 fps; unplayable. The mouse doesn’t work when I put the head set on it’s hit or miss, I have to altab the screens in-order to get it to focus into the headset.

IL2 runs flawlessly no issues except the mouse every once in a few launches won’t work when put the headset on.

love it in IL2!! Very sharp looks 1080p quality, still some fuzziness but very easy to over look.

sound is good, very deep base too. Head set is very comfortable.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Well, I figured this would happen... Just received my HP Reverb G2 (bumped up from G1). Everything ran great for 1.5 days, then problems...

SteamVR locks up when I'm in DCS multiplayer. Sometimes, when the G2 doesn't 'black screen' when jumping into the pit, it will 'black screen' when I press F10 for the map.

Fortunately, my monitor continues to show what's going on. I can press escape and exit out of DCS. No issues when on single-player.

Put SteamVR on 'beta' mode; didn't work, so I put it back and things ran ok until I hit F10 to view the map, while on multiplayer.

This G2 is right off the shelf (new plastic smell)... Hopefully, there will be update(s) to fix this sooner than later.

Everything is updated (NVidia, Windows 10, both WMRs of MS & steam). Wish I didn't have to run steam for HP, but oh well.

That definitely sounds like a DCS issue, not a Reverb issue. I'd suggest trying the Reverb with a bunch of other programs before you get too concerned. I'm betting they'll all run perfectly.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals