Why are you excited for the -A?

GregP

First off I want to clearly state that this question is not in any way intended to criticize or minimize the fantastic work Heatblur is doing on this module; the F-14 is by far my favorite DCS module and at this point, I'll buy anything they put out.

However, I genuinely feel like I'm missing something -- are people excited for the -A simply because it's another version of the Tomcat? Or is there something different enough about it that you're specifically excited to fly the -A? From what I understand, it will basically be a lower-thrust, more temperamentally-engined Tomcat. Is there something about it that people believe to be superior to the -B?

And again, I'm asking an honest question here and looking for input, with no ill intent toward Heatblur whatsoever. Frankly in my book, just the fact that we can now do afterburner carrier launches (right?) would be enough for me to get excited about the -A. :) But I'd like to hear specifically why others are looking forward to it.

However, I genuinely feel like I'm missing something -- are people excited for the -A simply because it's another version of the Tomcat? Or is there something different enough about it that you're specifically excited to fly the -A? From what I understand, it will basically be a lower-thrust, more temperamentally-engined Tomcat.

Simply? Basically? Just? Even if that wasn't a reason enough, how about historical significance? If F-14's were being born, not made, and you were born as one, you'd most likely be an A. And if you were born before 1988, you'd most certainly be one.

Is there something about it that people believe to be superior to the -B?

And to quote the great Jedi master "this....is why you fail". If the only reason you can think of of why someone would want to fly a plane is because of its perceived superiority, then you will never be able to understand other people's motives. Why having an F-14 at all? Other more modern planes could do most of the missions and be higher performing and more user friendly, ergo superior to it, right?

• Like 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I'm excited for it because it was the longest serving variant of the F-14, and even at the end made up 40% of the Tomcat fleet. VF-41, arguably the F-14's most historically significant squadron, only ever flew the A, and the F-14A was the first model to both shoot down an enemy aircraft and drop bombs in anger.

• Like 1

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I'm excited for it because it was the longest serving variant of the F-14, and even at the end made up 40% of the Tomcat fleet. VF-41, arguably the F-14's most historically significant squadron, only ever flew the A, and the F-14A was the first model to both shoot down an enemy aircraft and drop bombs in anger.

Thanks! That was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Great points.

• Like 1

Because it's iconic (cliche answer I know), plus it fits the mid-to-late Cold War exceptionally well (well, the early one will), which is personally my favourite era.

For me, it's very little about how good the aircraft is, harder aircraft for me simply more rewarding when you get stuff right. I also love some of the interesting quirks of these more harder to tame aircraft. Plus, Tomcat.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

not sure. i fly the mig21 a lot so i like any aircraft that is easy to stall out the engine. i have no clue about F14 squadrons and don't care much about the aircraft history so that really isn't a factor. i dunno. i like outdated aircraft in general. my fav is the Mig19. so when someone says here is an F14 that is a bit older then the one you have, it gets me excited.

• Like 1

Thanks Northstar98.

Perhaps a better way to word my question would be, is there some gameplay experience that you expect to have with the A that you couldn’t get with the B?

Flight dynamics. While the maximum lift available will be largely the same (maybe slightly larger in the A due to less weight), the excess power available per mach is very different, at least on the uphill part of the envelope. This alongside with throttle responses, requires adjustments to strategy when doing BFM.

• Like 1

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Because it still flies today in IRIAF. Do we need another reason why this varient is needed? It was also the master of the skies in the Iran-Iraq war with so many kills under its wings.

look forward to trying out the Iran-Iraq DCE campaign once they add the F14A to it!

• Like 2

First off I want to clearly state that this question is not in any way intended to criticize or minimize the fantastic work Heatblur is doing on this module; the F-14 is by far my favorite DCS module and at this point, I'll buy anything they put out.

However, I genuinely feel like I'm missing something -- are people excited for the -A simply because it's another version of the Tomcat? Or is there something different enough about it that you're specifically excited to fly the -A? From what I understand, it will basically be a lower-thrust, more temperamentally-engined Tomcat. Is there something about it that people believe to be superior to the -B?

And again, I'm asking an honest question here and looking for input, with no ill intent toward Heatblur whatsoever. Frankly in my book, just the fact that we can now do afterburner carrier launches (right?) would be enough for me to get excited about the -A. :) But I'd like to hear specifically why others are looking forward to it.

The saying goes something like:

" First impressions are the strongest " ... and the F-14A was the first.

And so, it was the one which engraved the Tomcat concept in peoples minds.

When people hear the words " F-14 " or " Tomcat ", the majority of them will probably visualize the TF-30's exhaust nozzles instead of the F110's ones...

It was pioneer in several technological concepts / capabilities, and when it appeared there was nothing like it anywhere else in the world.

The -A was also the version which was produced in the biggest numbers, gaining more visibility, and again it was the first... so it became 'the reference'.

Because of its truely uniqueness - it became a cult icon in military aviation.

For many people, the -B might be the 'improved'; but the -A will always be the 'classic'... and nothing beats The Real McCoy.

• Like 2

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Ok, lots of good points here, thanks for responding. I was concerned/confused that maybe there was something very obvious that I was missing, something that would make the experience of flying the A significantly different from the B in some particular aspect.

But it seems that it’s more the common sense things like it being the original version, comprising such a large percentage of the fleet, so much combat experience, the obvious point of it still serving with Iran, etc. That all makes sense and clears up the confusion for me, so thanks!

Want to fly some burners off the cat in VF-84 but will probably mostly keep flying the F-14B with VF-103 or VF-32 and dreaming of the F-14D.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

I've been on a cold war kick lately so leaving the relative comfort of the -B is going to be very interesting. I'm a fan of the classics and flying the variants of the -A is super appealing because the garbage tier engines should be a hell of a challenge along with what I'm guessing is a even more analog cockpit. I'm going to have to break some habits that I have from the -B and as others have said the -A is the original and most prominent.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EtherealN: I will promptly perform a sex change and offer my hand in marriage to whomever

GregP said:
Thanks Northstar98.

Perhaps a better way to word my question would be, is there some gameplay experience that you expect to have with the A that you couldn’t get with the B?

Hmmm, that's a difficult one for me to answer. There's not a heck of a lot of difference between the A and B, just that the A is more temperamental and no LANTIRN.

But as I said, sometimes things that are more of challenge (i.e don't have as good engines or sensors for instance) and then achieving results with them, I find very rewarding, so there's that which I guess is kinda a gameplay reason.

But the main fact about it (apart from it being a Tomcat), is that DCS is currently kinda all over the place when it comes to era consistency - I'd argue that WWII is the most fleshed out and consistent era for DCS by a long shot. And near enough every asset that isn't WWII (save for a very select few) are mid-to-late Cold War (which is incidentally, my favourite era - early 70s to the early 90s), but full-fidelity modules here are few and far between (if it weren't for the F-14A, we'd only really have the F-5E-3, MiG-21bis and maybe the Mirage 2000C); the F-14A fits perfectly here and is a step in the right direction for me personally.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting, spelling

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Hmmm, that's a difficult one for me to answer. There's not a heck of a lot of difference between the A and B, just that the A is more temperamental and no LANTIRN.

But as I said, sometimes things that are more of challenge (i.e don't have as good engines or sensors for instance) and then achieving results with them, I find very rewarding, so there's that which I guess is kinda a gameplay reason.

But the main fact about it (apart from it being a Tomcat), is that DCS is currently kinda all over the place when it comes to era consistency - I'd argue that WWII is the most flushed out and consistent era for DCS by a long shot. And near enough every asset that isn't WWII (save for a very select few) are mid-to-late Cold War (which is incidentally, my favourite era - early 70s to the early 90s), but full-fidelity modules here are few and far between (if it weren't for the F-14A, we'd only really have the F-5E-3, MiG-21bis and maybe the Mirage 2000C); the F-14A fits perfectly here and is a step in the right direction for me personally.

A has Lantirn, it's the older A that they're adding later that doesn't.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

A has Lantirn, it's the older A that they're adding later that doesn't.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that, thanks. I guess the F-14A (late) is late 80s/early 90s then?

System:

As a virtual RIO I'm very intrigued by the older RWR and working with that instead. I'm also looking forward to see how my pilot will deal with the old engines and their characteristics :joystick:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that, thanks. I guess the F-14A (late) is late 80s/early 90s then?

The -135GR (Late) that we're getting is a contemporary of the F-14B we already have. The mid-80's model and IIAF/IRIAF version are coming later, and if I read the road map right, options will eventually exist to, at least visually, represent even earlier Tomcat models. Looks like they're out to satisfy as many customers as they can.

• Like 1

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

The -135GR (Late) that we're getting is a contemporary of the F-14B we already have. The mid-80's model and IIAF/IRIAF version are coming later, and if I read the road map right, options will eventually exist to, at least visually, represent even earlier Tomcat models. Looks like they're out to satisfy as many customers as they can.

Ah okay then.

I'm not really familiar at all, I was just assuming that the F-14A-135GR (late) would be mid-to-late 80s - 90s, and the early be late 70s - mid 80s or something along those lines (mind you we're not getting IRST and presumably that was only around in the 70s as AFAIK it wasn't that useful at all). But regardless, thanks for clearing it up for me, cheers :thumbup:

System:

But the main fact about it (apart from it being a Tomcat), is that DCS is currently kinda all over the place when it comes to era consistency - I'd argue that WWII is the most flushed out and consistent era for DCS by a long shot. And near enough every asset that isn't WWII (save for a very select few) are mid-to-late Cold War (which is incidentally, my favourite era - early 70s to the early 90s), but full-fidelity modules here are few and far between (if it weren't for the F-14A, we'd only really have the F-5E-3, MiG-21bis and maybe the Mirage 2000C); the F-14A fits perfectly here and is a step in the right direction for me personally.

This is 100% how i feel

this wont be popiular and i dobt care if the tech addicts get their newest jets but itll just end up mostly blufor and no redfor

i wish dcs would be dcs ww2 and then focus (not solely do but emphasis heavily) on 45 to 89.

and also on working on filling the roster out on the red side. Its possible we could get a original su24 or mig 25 and mig 23 27 etc. We wont see a realistic su35 or su57 anytime soon. We wont see a modern chinese only plame anytime soon. Even the latest us ones..

whereas 60s designs and 70s operational periods.. (i admkt i love the planes too)

we could get a6s f111s f4s, tu16s su24s (i really want one of these) su22, il28, mig 23 27, along with many many analog european and warpac airframes. The mi24 id being done. What better to complimemt tham the already promised yrs ago ah1? Imagine them filling the rosters out much more so than now. Almost none of the planes I named are pure niche except maybe the mig25. The rest can do a variety of roles and would fit reasonably well in dcs

as for the f14 a its the definitive model. They never completely replaced As until.the f14 retired. They were in use by far the longest.

i also am at 5 previous f14 pilots saying the compressor stall thing is exagerrated andnhas taken a life on ofnits own. As virtual pilots we wont pay in blood for our mistakew and i think the ppl with the worst luck will figure out how to avoid the problems in a few flights. Just like flying the me262 in ww2 games - people.always are destroying the engines the first few flights then learn to put them basically all the way up anfnleave them.. and the problems drop drastically.

same with the f14. Once ppl get out of the B habit of slamming throtyles back and forth and keep thenspeed up, and basically fly her on mil power or AB anytime youre planning on maneuverinh hard.. i doubt we.ll see the provlems ppl see. Someone else mentioned "garbage tf30s" ill point out they arent garbage at all. Theyre merely bonber engines put on th.c e f14. In fact I think they actually may be able to make tbe plane go faster...? Anyways ill be glad to see her. Ill be even more glad when they fix some glaring details like the A and B throttle indicator. The B thorottle is all wrong. And i really really think HB needs to recogbize that jester has to be ablento do lgbs even very basically.. or if not they ought to pay the guy who made the mod they tried banning that let you do it from the front. I also have said this a zillion times - when you habe many contacts and are STTing different ones or theres a lot going on sometimes jester wont say you locked a friendly or w.e. regardless considering the IFF button is very prominently placed in your face in the RIO pit it leads me to think IRL the button was important (duh) therefore I think there reallt needs to be a jester > bvr > iff interrogate. I dont care what happens under the hood- its a game andbthe game knows if thats enemy or not. I dont code but to me this seems like more a matter of just the time implementing it. The lgb issue i can see being a lot more complex of course though.

finally why not? I mean this is awesome. Its gonna take longer but I thought wed get one A. We are getting 2 US a models ans an iranian model. Thats awesome to me minor details or not

further this means we will be closer to seeing our promised Forrestal (Im still convinced ED told HB not to release forrestal for awhile.to make money off SC. I get it though i dont like it) and more important to me a6s. Ai a6s... a6s first of all hold a special place in my heart. Theres strongly worded rumors that the ai a6 is a step to hopefuly an a6 module. I pray for this. The A6 and F14 may not have beem designed as a team but I cannot think of a better pair of planes for almost all roles. Ea6s jamming, a6s bombing low level at night. F14s escorting. I mean both planes got tge range and speed and massive ordinance.

itll be even cooler if someday A7s are added.to the fray. Imagine if in a few years we have flyable a6s a7s and su24s and mig23s/27s. Id be so stoked. Maybe su22s.. j really want some redfor planes to come with it. But even if not.. id theu get a6s and a7s our carrier complement for the 70s would be near complete and thatd be awesome

• Like 1

I am exiced because now HB can proceed to other projects finally.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5