DCS: Black Shark Producer's Note #5 Available on You Tube

Wags

I guess watching an explosion from 5km away just ain't violent enough, and driving to get to a point where that explosion will happen is like driving a car to work for her? :D

I totally understand people who want fast action NOW ... and lack the desire to learn how to operate even a simulated aircraft; I don't hold it against'em. Well, there's always other people you can play with ;)

Her thing is that she has no interest in flying a plane or operating a vehicle of any kind in combat. I try to tell her that its like kinda like an FPS -- you shoot at the bad guys while using tactics and teamwork to stay alive -- but she doesn't buy that one. She won't even fly around in the air plane. I seriously wonder whether or not she'd play a tactical shooter like ArmA, or a racing simulation.

@RedT: you lucky bastard, the only time I could get my GF to play some games were Indy 4 years ago and a tiny little bit of Swat 4. Oh and trying to land once on a carrier in Pacific Fighters. And we're together for more than 10 years now... :doh::D

Yes, I do count myself lucky. Flight sims and strategy games are the only games we don't have a common interest in. Everything else is cool.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ka-50 just screams Coop. Yet another sim I get to beg my wife to give a try. She'll play every violent, mindless FPS that comes along with me, but no dice when it comes to flight sims. :cry:

It's strange, I've always thought that women love playing with *joysticks* :D

Regards!!

When I was watching this movie I still thought "fire this vikhr, what the hell fire it!". Fine options to set luminance, brightness, contrast on CRT TV :D

Yeah and some more teasing :D "..turns into a standard cross which indicates a valid launch parameter" Oh, yeah! Finally he's gonna show that stryker who's the boss.. "and here's the windshield wiper for the Shkval" Noooo! :doh::lol:

and so we move closer still

Things seem to be going quite well at ED (erectile dys...gotta change that one day). Another great update, more drool, and the clock keeps winding down to release time. Maybe we could spice things up a little? How about a contest to see who guesses the correct release date? In case of a tie, the first received correct guess takes the prize. Maybe an autographed copy?

Oh wait. nevermind. It's the meds kicking in.:music_whistling:

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

One question: the video shows that you can automatically slave the Shkval sensor to preset target waypoints. Is that also possible for target positions received via datalink? Would be very helpful let's say if you are hovering in a battle position behind a ridge/hill while another Ka-50 searches for targets from a safer position and transmits them to you, so that you can slew the sensor to the direction of a still hidden target before doing a pop-up attack for example.

Great Question...

And as the Vikhr is Laserguided, would it be able that one Helo is tracking the Target and another one is firing the Weapon? If yes, did it work also fo AI?

Would be great! Because only one of the Helo's needs active Radar. Or does it work via Image tracking? (Didn't saw Video yet...downloading now)

• ED Team
Hehe yeah, talk about work sharing. Once there will be in-game player-to-player comms that are calculated the way AI-comms will be it gets even more interesting, since you may have to assign someone as a "flying relaying station" if there are no direct radio transmissions possible between scout and attacker, because of line-of-sight obstructions. Although that job is probably as interesting as potato peeling... :D

Oh, we'll be discussing that in great detail once we get to the note regarding in flight data link ;)

Regarding the question about remote laser designation: For the Ka-50 / Vikhr system, it is not possible (real world and simulation). While systems like Apache / Hellfire use a designation point with assigned frequency to allow remote designation, the Vikhr is a beam rider. As a beam rider, it must "ride" the laser designation from the launch aircraft to the target.

Things seem to be going quite well at ED (erectile dys...gotta change that one day). Another great update, more drool, and the clock keeps winding down to release time. Maybe we could spice things up a little? How about a contest to see who guesses the correct release date? In case of a tie, the first received correct guess takes the prize. Maybe an autographed copy?

Flyby out

Something like my Bett-a-year team :D

Currently, ED is competing with RSK MiG that should have delivered 4 repaired sets of MiG-29 engines and avionics back to Serbia before the end of last year. I alway wondered what would come first.. those migs or BS :doh:

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

Oh, we'll be discussing that in great detail once we get to the note regarding in flight data link ;)

Regarding the question about remote laser designation: For the Ka-50 / Vikhr system, it is not possible (real world and simulation). While systems like Apache / Hellfire use a designation point with assigned frequency to allow remote designation, the Vikhr is a beam rider. As a beam rider, it must "ride" the laser designation from the launch aircraft to the target.

Copy that! Thanks for your quick answer.

a tough call

Something like my Bett-a-year team :D

Currently, ED is competing with RSK MiG that should have delivered 4 repaired sets of MiG-29 engines and avionics back to Serbia before the end of last year. I alway wondered what would come first.. those migs or BS :doh:

I wouldn't know which to bet on in that case! Well, maybe I'd have to go with BS being released first.;) More of a vested intererst in chopping the air into submission!:)

Flyby out

• ED Team
Just curious.. how many developer notes are you planning before release?

/wink

Still not sure and a lot will depend on when the game hits the streets. However, right now I am planning:

6- Weapons part 1

7- Weapons part 2

8- Defensive systems

9- Data link

10- Damage and physics model

11- Mission editor

12- Open to suggestions...

12- How about a release Note :smartass:

Just kidding, I actually think you covered the topics nicely Wags.

Staffan

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

Perhaps this is out of scope, but a realease note on tactics (possibly historical, and their application in BS?) might be interesting.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Perhaps this is out of scope, but a realease note on tactics (possibly historical, and their application in BS?) might be interesting.

That would be nice, but I'm afraid Wags wants to stick to the actual presentation of DSC:BS itself. But who knows... BTW. Leave something for Ironhand too. ;)

Personally, I'd love to see brief presentation of major targets & threats. How are they modelled in DSC and what should we expect.

Or how about radio communications? Well, if this actually covered, since I have no idea. Or ATC if there are some important changes.

Can't wait for the next P'sN videos. Something will finally go BOOOOM. :)

Very interesting GG.

It could be fantastic if the combat experience about Ka-50 - Ka-29 Combat Attack Group ( BUG ) in Chechnya from end 2000 to 2001 would be the base of this release note.

Tactics employed by the Ka-50 and supporting Ka-29 in a very difficult enviroment ( mountain areas, gorges, wind and bad weather ) and the difference between the Hind and the Hokum in the way of piloting it in such terrain.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

how about this for #12?

Still not sure and a lot will depend on when the game hits the streets. However, right now I am planning:

6- Weapons part 1

7- Weapons part 2

8- Defensive systems

9- Data link

10- Damage and physics model

11- Mission editor

12- Open to suggestions...

How about a demonstration of the Ka-50 flight model in an acrobatic mode? This could show the fidelity of the FM to the real bird. Maybe even do that spiral-down manuever firing rockets at a target from directly above? Inside views and outside views. Might be a nice show to put on, just before release. Have grown men lose bladder control at what they see, and can't wait to try: "Uh-oh! I feel like I got to pee!!!";)

Very interesting. The nice thing in favor of this is that we have a piece of hardware thats very low-intensity and tactical in nature and is limited to mostly day time operations. Just about the only thing I've read about the Ka-50 in service can be summed up as "it saw action in Chechnya". However, things still seem to be pretty basic level at this point. If not a release note, some history would be a nice addition to the manual, kinda like the Flanker 2.0 manual had.

12 - Different Mission Types and how to accomplish. (CAS, SEAD, BAI and so on...for ppl who are relativ new in Mil-Sim's)

Or

12 - Tactics to avoid beeing shot down by Sam, Manpad and AAA.

Or

12- Using your Wingmen. What commands you can give them and how they work.

Something for Basic Tactic and Strategy.