Target size questions

eatthis

Apart from distance to target when it goes active what else changes with the target size setting? 

Will shooting at a fighter in large target size increase the missiles chance to miss/go stupid?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Nothing else changes but the result of that is when you set large target size, the missile will go active sooner and may have a hard time finding a fighter on it's own.

The TGTS (targets) switch selects expected target size which is used by the WCS to calculate missile launch zones and set parameters for target tracking in the radar. It also sets the range at which the missile ATC is sent, SMALL being 6NM, NORM 10NM and LARGE 13NM. The selected position of this switch might negatively affect target tracking and engagement if set incorrectly.

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#detail-data-display-ddd-and-panel

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

9 hours ago, draconus said:

Nothing else changes but the result of that is when you set large target size, the missile will go active sooner and may have a hard time finding a fighter on it's own.

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#detail-data-display-ddd-and-panel

doesnt explain much

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

7 minutes ago, draconus said:

On which part you need explanation?

The part where is goes "The selected position of this switch might negatively affect target tracking and engagement if set incorrectly. "

How might it negatively affect tracking and engagement? What kind of targets are we talking about? An F-16 vs an F-14? If the target is in a 5g turn, which would be better? If the missiles is further away from the target when it goes active, does it have a larger cone to find it? If you know the target is going to try and maneuver hard before the missile hits, would "small" be a better setting?

The longer the distance the bigger the cone, right (well, the cone is the same but is wider at the longer range). But the lower target RCS can be too small and impossible for the 54's radar to pick it up from that distance. That's how it affects both tracking and engagement. For the best tracking you want the small target selection ofc but then it is almost SARH, isn't it? You have to weigh in the time you possibly have to engage or extend depending on enemy's actions or possible actions (like expecting a heater or TWS AMRAAM shot incoming).

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 months later...

It’s definitely modelled wrt when the missile will go active and no longer need supported.

I’ve used it successfully on fighters with the large setting which goes active about 4-5 seconds sooner on average, about 20 seconds or thereabouts. Normal usually starts flashing at 15-16. Never tried small, at that point its STT all the way.

3 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

I'm pretty sure that this: "The selected position of this switch might negatively affect target tracking and engagement if set incorrectly" is NOT modeled , at all. 
Probably only changes when the targets gets the RWR warning. 

Unless you're flying formation with an IL-76, I'm not sure that will negatively effect the missile in the way you're hoping it will.

On 3/17/2021 at 10:34 PM, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

I'm pretty sure that this: "The selected position of this switch might negatively affect target tracking and engagement if set incorrectly" is NOT modeled , at all. 
Probably only changes when the targets gets the RWR warning. 

100% this is modeled.

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

3 hours ago, IronMike said:

100% this is modeled.

Huh, interesting. Now I'm curious what it does exactly in this regard?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In theory, because of the greater distance when the missile goes active earlier it should have a harder time finding it's target. 
The phoenix however is so aggressively tracking, (it will just keep finding you again and again,  no matter how many times you ditch it) that in reality it makes no difference. 

It is like it has a 360 degree sphere search pattern with unlimited range once it goes active . I'm even getting phoenix RWR warnings when i'm refueling on the runway. 

Edited by Csgo GE oh yeah

50 minutes ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

It is like it has a 360 degree sphere search pattern with unlimited range once it goes active . I'm even getting phoenix RWR warnings when i'm refueling on the runway. 

I would love to get ahold of the AIM-54 that exists in your imagination. It sounds like a real hoot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

If that missiles radar can send radar energy lets say 10nm, detect reflected energy of target and track it, it also means that that emitted radar energy can travel and be detected by RWR probably several times that distance. So whats so strange about that? Its only logical.

1 hour ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

In theory, because of the greater distance when the missile goes active earlier it should have a harder time finding it's target. 
The phoenix however is so aggressively tracking, (it will just keep finding you again and again,  no matter how many times you ditch it) that in reality it makes no difference. 

🤦‍♂️... not even close to how the AIM-54 operates in game. Its literally the easiest missile to evade rn. Just stop whining about it, and honestly just spend the time wasted on the forums getting good at BVR.

• Like 4

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

2 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

I wish we could get you as the Phoenix seeker, it would never give up and would be impossible to ditch. You’re certainly willing to die on your hill, aren’t you. 

• Thanks 1

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

4 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Just git gud brah.

Give that man a medal guys, the heat death of the universe won't stop his persistence 😄

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Hey man don't shoot the messenger. 
Only the phoenix seems to still try to get me when i'm refueling, i've never ever gotten an RWR warning from any other missile while i was refueling on the runway. 
Only the phoenix keeps re-acquiring me like a crazy stalker. Sometimes even 10 seconds after it seemed ditched. Everytime i'm like "what  ?! Are you serious !?! LOL" . It's funny to witness. 
And only an active phoenix shoots past me, and tries to get me when it's on my 10'o clock IN FRONT of me 🙂 

Not trying to pick a fight but in my humble experience the seeker seems a bit weird to say the least. 

13 hours ago, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Only the phoenix keeps re-acquiring me like a crazy stalker. Sometimes even 10 seconds after it seemed ditched. Everytime i'm like "what  ?! Are you serious !?! LOL" . It's funny to witness. 

Its almost as if... the AMRAAM does the same thing

Edited by dundun92
  • Like 3

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

On 3/20/2021 at 7:14 PM, Csgo GE oh yeah said:

Hey man don't shoot the messenger. 
Only the phoenix seems to still try to get me when i'm refueling, i've never ever gotten an RWR warning from any other missile while i was refueling on the runway. 
And only an active phoenix shoots past me, and tries to get me when it's on my 10'o clock IN FRONT of me 🙂 

Not trying to pick a fight but in my humble experience the seeker seems a bit weird to say the least. 

Boy would I love to see some trackfiles of this. Strange that you never provide any evidence for you claims. 

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

1 hour ago, Gunslinger22 said:

Boy would I love to see some trackfiles of this. Strange that you never provide any evidence for you claims. 

Seemed like a bit of sarcasm and embellishment if you ask me. I doubt he has had the exact experience, just relaying his frustrations. 
I am curious however.  Who are you to ask for evidence?  And If by chance he sent you some, please illuminate us on what you would do with it? Jump under the “ole lid” and give DCS a tweak?  Should we start sending all of our track files to “Gunslinger “????

Whats with all the bullies lately?  

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

Go easy on each other guys. I think Gunslinger is just a little frustrated, as probably a lot of people are getting with the majority of CS Go’s posts degenerating into unsubstantiated claims of HB cheats and game breaking “intentional bugs” all of which when pressed for evidence evaporate or “cannot be arsed” providing.

As with all allegations there must be a degree of proof.

• Like 4