2.7.0.4625 Open Beta crash at second mission load

XPACT

I found a workaround that worked for me - this is 100 % reproduceable on my end and I have no idea why.

If I start DCS (no matter if Fullscreen is activated or not in the DCS graphics menu) and I try to "Fly again" after a mission (or want to fly another second mission) - it crashes immediately.

BUT: If I start DCS and I am in the main menu and use ALT+TAB just to switch into another application and go back to DCS - no more crashes on second mission load or "Fly again".

I tested this 5 times and this is totally reproduceable - I am totally confused, why this is working but it does (at least for me).

I am currently using the newest NVIDIA driver 466.11 - no idea if this is a driver issue or strictly DCS related...

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

I tried everything in this thread, and something fixed the crashing for me. Cheers!

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

8 minutes ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

I tried everything in this thread, and something fixed the crashing for me. Cheers!

I just did what you said, (alt+tab) I launched a mission at random, I did echap, relaunch main menu to change the radio assistance, I restart the game, result:

Sans titre.png

Edited by mobile83

8 minutes ago, mobile83 said:

I just did what you said, (alt+tab) I launched a mission at random, I did echap, relaunch main menu to change the radio assistance, I restart the game, result:

Sans titre.png

The ALT+TAB only works, when you have another application opened while running DCS (for example the Task Manager, an Explorer Window or opened Web Browser).

When you press ALT+TAB in DCS, you should actually see the other window or application that is running and opened. After clicking back into DCS, no more crashes on second loads.

So it is necessary you still have another window or application opened in your task bar. Could you try that out?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

I agree. 😐

Thanks guys, I'll report it to Obi.

@MileHiRyder@Tepnox@Sonoda Umi

Can you please try this workaround and see if it works for you as well?

Running DCS (with full screen unchecked) I flew an instant action mission with the f16, quit then pressed fly again and DCS crashed as it did consistently before.  I ran DCS again and flew the same mission then quit, before flying it again I pressed alt-enter one time...DCS crashed again before the second mission started.  I started DCS a third time and after flying the same mission and quitting,  I pressed alt-enter then alt-enter again before pressing fly again....the second mission started without crashing.  Subsequent missions worked with no problem at all even though I didn't press alt-enter anymore.  I shut down then restarted DCS and flew several missions in sequence again without crashing and without pressing alt-enter at all.   

Hoping the problem might have somehow been resolved, a little later I again restarted DCS and ran the same sequence without pressing alt-enter...it crashed on the second mission😒.  Restarting and doing the sequence again this time pressing alt-enter twice after quitting the first mission, I was able to run multiple missions without crashing.

I hesitated even posting this but it does appear that pressing alt-enter does have some effect.   

Edited by MileHiRyder
  • Thanks 1

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass, Asus Rog Maximus IX Hero Z270, Intel Core I7 - 7700K, Gskill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair RM750X, Windows 10 Home, Asus ROG PG348Q 34” 3440 x 1440 100hz curved IPS G-Sync monitor, Saitek X52 Pro Hotas, TrackIR V5

45 minutes ago, Tepnox said:

The ALT+TAB only works, when you have another application opened while running DCS (for example the Task Manager, an Explorer Window or opened Web Browser).

When you press ALT+TAB in DCS, you should actually see the other window or application that is running and opened. After clicking back into DCS, no more crashes on second loads.

So it is necessary you still have another window or application opened in your task bar. Could you try that out?

lol, thanks for the clarification, but I know how it works and I did it right, the bug has nothing to do with alt + tab

this manipulation does not correct the problem, the problem is quite other, I think related to loadings of textures or clouds or very graphic parameters because if one puts SSA on or off and that one launches a part, that crashes systematically

Edited by mobile83

My game didn't crash for two days but few minutes ago decided to crash during opening custom mission in the mission editor btw that was not first load of the mission I already played for a bit before it happened.

Not running in full screen definitely seems to make the overall game more stable for me, or at least it feels like it, but sadly crashes still happen from time to time during those loading screens.

Also still having this problem. Actually, it's worse. I used to be able to launch the same mission multiple times in a row from the mission editor, so long as I didn't switch missions it was fine. Now my game is crashing the second time I launch a mission regardless of it it's the same mission I launched the first time or not. 

• Like 1

Yes, the ctd is worse now, so bad in fact that I have rolled back to the previous beta before 2.7. It’s obvious there is a major bug, and it’s affecting most users. I understand this is a beta but the previous version was as well and i had zero issues. 

Edited by blue281269
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah I'm in the same boat, not only did the patch not fix it, it is worse than it was previously on release 2.7.  One thing I did notice on release 2.7 (and the latest hotfix as well) is that the loading times are significantly longer.  Not sure if that has to do with the new cloulds/effects or what but I'm on an nvme SSD and previously it took just a few seconds (say 5) to load a mission and now it's significantly longer (20-30+), almost like it 'stalling' while loading a mission.  It's slow to load DCS world on startup as well, which makes the crash so frustrating it takes so long to get back to where you were previously.

16 minutes ago, Boogdud said:

One thing I did notice on release 2.7 (and the latest hotfix as well) is that the loading times are significantly longer.

For some currently unknown reason someone decided that shaders are generated every time at startup of any loading, that should impact loading times greatly (basically before 2.7 only on the first fresh launch of the game without any user data you would get this longer loading screen), and since that is major change I have some suspicion that it's responsible for these crashes in some way.

8 hours ago, MileHiRyder said:

Running DCS (with full screen unchecked) I flew an instant action mission with the f16, quit then pressed fly again and DCS crashed as it did consistently before.  I ran DCS again and flew the same mission then quit, before flying it again I pressed alt-enter one time...DCS crashed again before the second mission started.  I started DCS a third time and after flying the same mission and quitting,  I pressed alt-enter then alt-enter again before pressing fly again....the second mission started without crashing.  Subsequent missions worked with no problem at all even though I didn't press alt-enter anymore.  I shut down then restarted DCS and flew several missions in sequence again without crashing and without pressing alt-enter at all.   

Hoping the problem might have somehow been resolved, a little later I again restarted DCS and ran the same sequence without pressing alt-enter...it crashed on the second mission😒.  Restarting and doing the sequence again this time pressing alt-enter twice after quitting the first mission, I was able to run multiple missions without crashing.

I hesitated even posting this but it does appear that pressing alt-enter does have some effect.   

Many thanks for your thorough testing, @MileHiRyder. 👍

@Sonoda Umi said earlier the problem was solved by deleting "Saved Games\DCS...\Config\options.lua". This file contains fullscreen setting among other things.

Can someone please try to rename this file? Call it whatever you want so DCS can't find it. You'll have to set your graphics settings anew. See if DCS keeps crashing on second mission loading after that.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

29 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Many thanks for your thorough testing, @MileHiRyder. 👍

@Sonoda Umi said earlier the problem was solved by deleting "Saved Games\DCS...\Config\options.lua". This file contains fullscreen setting among other things.

Can someone please try to rename this file? Call it whatever you want so DCS can't find it. You'll have to set your graphics settings anew. See if DCS keeps crashing on second mission loading after that.

I deleted "Saved Games\DCS...\Config\Options.lua" in my directory (note it was an uppercase O on Options) and renamed it Options_OLD. 

DCS recreated the 'options' (lower case o) file as expected on restart and I was able to load several missions without a crash having reconfigured my graphics settings.

I then quit DCS and restarted it immediately. 

Unfortunately on second mission load of any Instant Action, DCS crashes.

6 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Thanks @orcrist.

Does MileHiRyder's trick works on your PC? He said he would hit "Alt+Enter" twice before loading a second mission so DCS doens't crash.

I dont know about that, I was busy testing something else whilst you replied.

The first time I tried it (above) I had left everything in the Mods folder in Saved Games.

I deleted options.lua again and renamed it, restarted, went through graphics config, exited.

Deleted all mods in the mods folder, moved to temp folder on desktop.

Restarted DCS.

Have now reloaded about 20 missions from Instant Action with no CTD, along with several custom missions, ME, etc. So far, no issues - with the Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Mods folder completely empty. 

45 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Thanks @orcrist.

Does MileHiRyder's trick works on your PC? He said he would hit "Alt+Enter" twice before loading a second mission so DCS doens't crash.

unfortunately no, this does not work. Crash at 'mission load done', right at the end of the progress bar. 

I don't usually run in full screen anyway as we use DCS commercially and in VR, and there's no need for full screen, but loading any

mission on second load still results in a crash. 2.7 is a massive improvement and given the improvement I'd actually rather suffer the CTD after every mission to reap the other benefits 2.7 brings to our customers, BUT our machines load up pretty quickly (32GB, 2 x M.2 drives, high spec AMD CPUs and either 2080Tis or 3060Ti GPUs), so I can go from win start to 'fly' in under 60 seconds typically .... I must have loaded at least 30-40 missions this morning trying to figure this out across a couple of machines but there's nothing I have found so far that doesn't give the crash. Will keep looking today.

Mods folders empty btw. 

Edited by orcrist

Many thanks for your testing. 👍

I'm still unable to reproduce this issue, but I know a friend kept having this while streaming the initial DCS 2.7 OB.

Can you please attach your latest crashlog? (dcs.log file)

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Same result though, CTD on second load. Too big to upload at 7.2mb. 

Deleted options.lua again, reconfigured graphics, restarted. 

Loaded several IA missions, no issues, custom missions, no issues.

Restarted DCS second time. 

Loaded IA mission.

Loaded custom mission.

Crashed.

Crash log too big at 7.2mb, emailed at 0922 GMT, can be downloaded here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uR_LFZNqzyrein4Wsh968ex4UcoycDd7/view?usp=sharing