Runway in the Hud and Helmet

SUBS17

21 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

As far as you know, but I am telling you that they are testing them. Remember this, 3 wire every landing on a moving carrier. So for the A-10CII we might someday see the runway and taxiway outline in the Helmet and HUD. So it is tech that is very, very new. Like that new missile the APKWS that is capable of hitting people, precision!

I want to see a man hit by a APKWS ! (no, it will be quiet disturbing for me.. a water melon at least !)

Personnaly I'm not fan of this full helmet no hud use in plane like F35... they have big issue with canon aiming with this. THe runway in the hud is already a great things in ifr with the M2000.

I suppose I'm too old for this sh*t 😉

• Like 1

The F35 has a HUD. Check youtube for videos of precision weapons. The one in the M2000 is not as accurate as the SCORPION HELMET. But it could have that precision someday in regard to the runway outline, they would have to talk to Boeing.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

What on earth are you talking about? What does the Scorpion helmet have to do with Navy or Marine aircraft (which don't use it)? What is your source for the functionality of the Scorpion helmet?

• Like 2

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I agree with kengou above me. You've written multiple comments in this thread yet you didn't give a single link to the source of your statements. 

You even said ED should ask Boeing about this system (does this mean you've got special information from Boeing too ?). If ED managed to model the helmet symbology (meaning they had some sort of source to do it), why would they not already manage to add the runway outline in the hmcs. This is probably due to the fact that their source didn't indicate this feature.

Let me get this straight, I would much rather believe ED's research work than yours especially if you aren't giving any sources explaining how this feature works or if it even is present in the first place (I couldn't find anything about it either).

If only there were an a10c sme that could say yes or no to this question we wouldn't have this debate.

Edited by notproplayer3

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

On 4/29/2021 at 5:29 AM, notproplayer3 said:

I agree with kengou above me. You've written multiple comments in this thread yet you didn't give a single link to the source of your statements. 

You even said ED should ask Boeing about this system (does this mean you've got special information from Boeing too ?). If ED managed to model the helmet symbology (meaning they had some sort of source to do it), why would they not already manage to add the runway outline in the hmcs. This is probably due to the fact that their source didn't indicate this feature.

Let me get this straight, I would much rather believe ED's research work than yours especially if you aren't giving any sources explaining how this feature works or if it even is present in the first place (I couldn't find anything about it either).

If only there were an a10c sme that could say yes or no to this question we wouldn't have this debate.

It is not debate, it is interesting for people to know how good this technology is and what else it is capable of. There are more Helmets of this Kind coming with other capabilities from Soldiers to Police. It has a lot of uses, one of the best features is for Airline pilots and civilian aircraft which is also a Helmet. It is so good that it will no doubt later become the new CAA standard for Flight Safety. It is weird for you to believe that it is a debate when someone is informing everyone of the capability of the Helmet. You seem to believe that you know everything but on this topic you know absolutely nothing.

On 4/29/2021 at 5:14 AM, kengou said:

What on earth are you talking about? What does the Scorpion helmet have to do with Navy or Marine aircraft (which don't use it)? What is your source for the functionality of the Scorpion helmet?

The Navy and Marines are testing it. It is extremely good, it is combined with several other features extremely good for pilots to find Aircraft Carriers in IFR and features Auto-land which always catches the 3 wire. They are currently testing it.  

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Ok if you have no source there’s really no point in continuing this topic...

• Like 2

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

1 hour ago, SUBS17 said:

It is not debate, it is interesting for people to know how good this technology is and what else it is capable of. There are more Helmets of this Kind coming with other capabilities from Soldiers to Police. It has a lot of uses, one of the best features is for Airline pilots and civilian aircraft which is also a Helmet. It is so good that it will no doubt later become the new CAA standard for Flight Safety. It is weird for you to believe that it is a debate when someone is informing everyone of the capability of the Helmet. You seem to believe that you know everything but on this topic you know absolutely nothing.

So let me get this straight, you are saying you basically opened this whole thread so that people would be like "wow, this technology is so cool, we have a runway overlay function in the helmet". If that's what you meant, alright, suit yourself then, I know runway overlays exist so I'm already cool with that. 

Except, you actually started your thread by asking for ED to add this function to the helmet to which people responded that they didn't believe it existed on the real a10c scorpion helmet.

So yes it became a debate between you and everyone else. 

No, I don't believe I know everything and I never implied it, but you on the other hand act like you personally know of this helmet feature ? 

Why make it hard when everything could be simple: give me a single picture, document, vague description of this feature being actually present of the a10c scorpion helmet. 

Or perhaps you could even introduce yourself and explain why you are so sure of this feature being present on the exact a10c scorpion helmet we have in DCS. 

Look, like you said, this doesn't need to be a debate, just clear up all our doubts about this feature actually being present by giving us strong evidence and the debate will end and we'll thank you for the useful information you've given us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

21 hours ago, kengou said:

Ok if you have no source there’s really no point in continuing this topic...

I am telling you what it can do and those features are already on the real Helmet.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Helmets don’t fly planes thus helmets can’t hit a 3 wire every time period!  
synthetic vision has been on many vehicles from air liners to snow plows for years. No, snow plows can’t hit 3 wire every time either. 
NOW, there MAY be a helmet in development that “assists” with all weather flying and landing but with no pilots head inside, it aint hitting sh!t..... 

Your not winning this one sonny....

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

On 4/30/2021 at 10:12 PM, SUBS17 said:

It is weird for you to believe that it is a debate when someone is informing everyone of the capability of the Helmet. You seem to believe that you know everything but on this topic you know absolutely nothing.

I think nobody here has doubts that such a system would have this capability. But unless you can provide a source showing it is actually used in the A-10 Scorpion, it should not be incorporated into the module.

And "The Navy and Marines are testing it" is not really proof of that. Considering neither Marines nor Navy fly the A-10...

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Eugel said:

I think nobody here has doubts that such a system would have this capability. But unless you can provide a source showing it is actually used in the A-10 Scorpion, it should not be incorporated into the module.

And "The Navy and Marines are testing it" is not really proof of that. Considering neither Marines nor Navy fly the A-10...

They are testing the Helmet and new navigation system not A-10's.

18 hours ago, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

Helmets don’t fly planes thus helmets can’t hit a 3 wire every time period!  
synthetic vision has been on many vehicles from air liners to snow plows for years. No, snow plows can’t hit 3 wire every time either. 
NOW, there MAY be a helmet in development that “assists” with all weather flying and landing but with no pilots head inside, it aint hitting sh!t..... 

Your not winning this one sonny....

The SCORPION Helmet is part of a new Navigation System for aircraft which is precise. For the 3 wire there is a new Autopilot with Auto-Landing mode. Pilots can see the Carrier in any weather with a SCORPION HELMET. Even A-10CII pilots would be able to see the Carriers and Ships if they were flying past. Unlike way point's in the Helmet they would see the Carrier outline.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

45 minutes ago, SUBS17 said:

They are testing the Helmet and new navigation system not A-10's.

But you posted this in the A-10 C II wishlist subforum. So unless what you talk about is used in the actual A-10 C II, the answer should simply be: NO.

• Like 1

Oh I've just realised what he's talking about for hornet. With the new PLM, when you are in rate or path mode there is a virtual VV that shows as a little carrier deck symbol, it's tied to the carrier's motion so all you do is put the symbol on the deck.

It's not the same thing as a runway virtualization like other jets have.

Also, what are you talking about. F35 doesn't have a HUD

• Like 4

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

This was a fun thread to read through first thing this morning.  Many people had pointed out the incorrect information but just to verify  the A-10C HMCS never had the items stated in the first post.  We’ve upgraded real world from HMCS to HObiT (Hybrid Optical-based inertial tracker) and still don’t have the symbology that the original poster is sure HMCS has.

this shouldn’t even be in the wishlist section, it should be marked as inaccurate and closed to avoid confusion.

Edited by Snoopy
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:31 AM, Eugel said:

But you posted this in the A-10 C II wishlist subforum. So unless what you talk about is used in the actual A-10 C II, the answer should simply be: NO.

The answer should be when they find out more information shouldn't it or would you prefer a half modeled A-10CII, do you really use DCS?

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

6 hours ago, Snoopy said:

This was a fun thread to read through first thing this morning.  Many people had pointed out the incorrect information but just to verify  the A-10C HMCS never had the items stated in the first post.  We’ve upgraded real world from HMCS to HObiT (Hybrid Optical-based inertial tracker) and still don’t have the symbology that the original poster is sure HMCS has.

this shouldn’t even be in the wishlist section, it should be marked as inaccurate and closed to avoid confusion.

Later on when the SCORPION is on helicopters it would also feature trees and buildings in the Helmet. That is the potential for the technology and even civilian aircraft will be using the system in the near future. The symbology is a line for the runway outline and taxiway. Helicopters will feature Auto take off, Auto Cruise,Auto Hover and Auto Land using this new technology it is extremely good.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

5 minutes ago, SUBS17 said:

The answer should be when they find out more information shouldn't it or would you prefer a half modeled A-10CII, do you really use DCS?

Uh, not sure if I understand what you are trying to say...

Yes, I use DCS, but what "half modeled A-10" are you talking about ?

Do I get this right ? You suggest that ED should put in some system that the Navy and the Marines are testing on some other aircraft into the A-10 ? Why ?
Do you think they should put Phoenix Missiles on the A-10 as well ? I mean, the Navy is using them on another aircraft...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

Later on when the SCORPION is on helicopters it would also feature trees and buildings in the Helmet. That is the potential for the technology and even civilian aircraft will be using the system in the near future. The symbology is a line for the runway outline and taxiway. Helicopters will feature Auto take off, Auto Cruise,Auto Hover and Auto Land using this new technology it is extremely good.

Not for the A-10 with suite 9 or suite 10.  Stop spreading false info.

Edited by Snoopy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2021 at 1:45 AM, SUBS17 said:

Just to point out F35B/C and AV8B Harriers are using this technology which includes AUTO-APPROACH and AUTO-LAND. It is extremely good technology in not just being able to see everything in all weather but to avoid accidents by knowing precisely where everything is. 

AV-8B N/A and AV-8B+ are already funded to receive a JHMCS in 2023. Just a few years before retirement. Same time there is coming compatibility to AIM-120C, AIM-9X II, LINK-16 and couple other new upgrades.

But one thing I know is that Harrier doesn't have a automatic landing function. It is all hands on. Best you get is Reaction Control System (RCS) and it is nowhere automatic. There is nothing denying you to flip over or assist you to perform proper landing.

What comes to F-35B, that has all such things. It flies by itself and it has all automatic carrier landing features and assisted carrier landing and all. What you need to do in it is just to want to do something and you move stick or throttle and system drives and park it by itself.

But Harrier has nothing that kind as far I know. It has AWLS:

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/212206-icls-on-lha

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/159087-about-the-awls-all-weather-landing-system-or-ils-by-another-name/

DCS doesn't support AWLS at the moment.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 4/28/2021 at 7:24 PM, SUBS17 said:

The F35 has a HUD. Check youtube for videos of precision weapons.

I am yet to see a production F-35 with a HUD as the whole point of it is that HUD was designed to be obsolete as the pilot helmet projects all the information to their view. 

The one in the M2000 is not as accurate as the SCORPION HELMET.

Scorpion sight is as accurate as aircraft navigation system can be. 

It is true at the moment that we have too optimistic navigation instruments and accuracies in navigation systems, even in GPS assisted ones.  But the M2000C one is enough for reliable landing finding as it is not about GPS or helmet/visor.

But it could have that precision someday in regard to the runway outline, they would have to talk to Boeing.

But if your point is that these are currently in development and testing, then it doesn't matter if they are not compatible with the modules tech we have now in DCS.

If you can't just grab a new helmet and have it do all the work without connection to aircraft and requirement to have make changes to get the helmet paired with the aircraft, then it doesn't matter.

I don't know what exact software suite A-10C II should be presenting but I have recollection that people who knew better said that it is mix of the couple suites and not exactly one. But if Scorpion should already have those features and capabilities then why not... You just need to show ED the information that and they listen.

Likely ED has already made their minds and you can't get them to reconsider things no matter what.

Edit: Scorpion is in the end just a another HMS system. It doesn't provide to aircraft navigation or controls anything to make them fly themselves or assist in landings or flying a route etc.

All those needs to be in the aircraft itself already.

Like the Thales marketing video about having these systems in civilian airplane requires that you have GPS and other information connection from plane to their system. As otherwise the scorpion can not have information from aircraft like AoA or slip information and present them on it. You could get basic GPS location, GPS ground speed, GPS altitude and electromagnetic compass to give view direction as standalone unit. And load some digital terrain data like airports locations, lengths, and then tall buildings and terrain altitudes at approach/take-off paths. 

But you really wouldn't be flying with that thing as you have no means to get flight path marker on HUD, artificial horizon or any accurate required information from the plane to it and align it with plane to be able use it land in zero visibility. As if most accurate thing pilot could do is to try align it to plane by adjusting it's position in forehead..... Then pilots are going to die as they can be pointing where ever in time. 

Edited by Fri13
  • Like 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• ED Team

Please keep to the thread topic and do not derail, if you have issues with people here please add them to the ignore list. 

Regarding the topic, it is not planned, and we have no evidence for it

thank you

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

If you have any evidence of that is a feature of the Scorpion helmet MODELED BY ED ON WARTHOG then show it but that a prototype in Nicaragua was testing a feature like that last year is not a evidence and has nothing to do with our Warthog, simply as that.

Remember, ED model aircraft from an specific model and year

• Like 2

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

21 hours ago, Eugel said:

Uh, not sure if I understand what you are trying to say...

Yes, I use DCS, but what "half modeled A-10" are you talking about ?

Do I get this right ? You suggest that ED should put in some system that the Navy and the Marines are testing on some other aircraft into the A-10 ? Why ?
Do you think they should put Phoenix Missiles on the A-10 as well ? I mean, the Navy is using them on another aircraft...

No, the helmet is being tested by the Marines and US Navy, it is very good technology. It will no doubt be in later blocks of those aircraft that it is designed for. It is good for people to know of the future applications of the tech. So I am not complaining that there is no runway marked out on the Helmet Display, I am informing of what it can do and what is already in there. The Helmet will know if there is for example an obstacle later and inform the pilot to climb to void it. It would be for a Hornet a later block, the A-10CII however can have those features once it is cleared by the CIA that they are allowed to model it. It might take a while, I am surprised that this was allowed to be modeled so soon.

18 hours ago, Snoopy said:

Not for the A-10 with suite 9 or suite 10.  Stop spreading false info.

For the SCORPION it is not an upgrade of the systems it is a software update for terrain information. So it could be modeled once the CIA allows that information for DCS.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]