Expose APIs for F10 radio transmissions (Especially new Marianas ATC).

OverlordBot is an Open Source SimpleRadioStandalone voice enabled AWACS and ATC Bot.

* It has been installed on over 80 public and private multiplayer servers
* It processes around 100,000 transmissions and about 3 days worth of audio per month
* Over 600 players have submitted voice training sets to help the bot recognise them
* The Discord has over 1,300 members.

Currently OverlordBot implements all its features using internal code. It does not call any ED provided scripting APIs to implement its AWACS and ATC functions (Because there are none that are applicable to these use-cases).

However it can also act as a simple voice-to-command proxy to the DCS functions that ED makes available to the Mission Scripting Environment so that those functions can be triggered using voice commands that are transmitted over SRS (Just like in real life, the radio voice channel is the communication method and requests and responses can be heard by everyone tuned in).

I would like to give players the ability to call into the new ED ATC, that is currently under development, without needing to use the F10 radio menu, other mouse / keyboard based UI or requiring local mods and also generate the response using a TTS system. Providing a full two-way voice UI will increase immersion and make ATC radio calls more natural for both transmitters and receivers.

Therefore this request is is to expose the APIs required so that we can trigger the functions that would otherwise be triggered by clicking on the existing F10 radio menu.

For example, if there were an F10 radio command under a specific airfield for `Inbound` then there would be a mission scripting API along the lines of

result = atc.callInbound(airfield_id, unit_name, transmit_pilot_voice = false, transmit_atc_voice = false)

-- transmit_pilot_voice will determine if the in-game pilot states the request with the pre-recorded audio snippets.
-- true means transmit using the pre-recorded audio snippets. Useful for things like Voice Attack where the player is not transmitting over voice comms
-- false means there is no audio transmission sent as other players will already have heard the request over SRS and OverlordBot triggered the action

-- transmit_atc_voice will determine if the in-game ATC replies with the pre-recordded audio snippests
-- true means that the ATC transmits the response in-game
-- false means that the ATC does not transmit a response in-game (Will be used by OverlordBot that will speak the response from the result)

-- Result table contains structured pertinent information including the text of what the ATC would say or a structure containing the data that would be needed to turn into spoken text. If ED action this request then I would be happy to discuss this bit in more detail.

(There would probably need to be some sort of push mechanism or method that can be polled for updates to be transmitted when ATC wants to contact the player. A new event in the event steam would be a good method I think, happy to discuss that if ED proceeds with this request.)

As this new ATC is in active development I hope this request can be actioned more easily in the code being written now.

A side request would be to expose the existing radio APIs so that we can do the same thing (For example being able to contact tankers via voice for air-to-air refueling operations).

Edited by rurounijones
Update statistics
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 8

This would be so amazing. Basically now I choose servers based of they support OverloardBot - If it could be implemented with using EDs API it would be even better.

Especially for VR users like me, pushing F1-12 keys to request a Bogey dope is just a pain. You click the wrong one and you are in a Wingmen or whatever menu. And yes, there is Voice attack but OverlordBot is just so much more immersive, even If you just hear all the other players interacting with it.

• Like 1

OverlordBot is a crucial part of my multiplayer experience, and the integration with voice communications helps bring a new level of immersion to our experience. Please support the folks that volunteer a tremendous amount of time to build game-enhancing tools by building the public APIs that they need. Doing so is a win for everyone!

• Like 3

People like rurounijones have a greater impact on the community than I think anyone realizes.

He and others like him are creating and enhancing game functionality to make things better for the community, but they can't do that if you don't enable them.

Opening up more of the game to the scripting interface will do wonders for the community. I know it's hard to go back and create APIs for existing functionality, but it makes a ton of sense to create them for features that are new and in progress. Build APIs as you build the feature and let us create cool things for the community.

I support this request fully.

• Like 6

Allowing the community to expand base game functionality is part of what makes a product great. Please implement this, even if you plan on having similar functionality natively. 

• Like 1

It would be great if such API (along with existing radio API) is exposed by ED. rurounijones did a great job developing OverlordBot and its integration via such API would be amazing to have.

• Like 1

Все написанное выше является моим оценочным суждением

Everything written above reflects my personal opinion

Занимаюсь "активной пропагандой Американцев на данном форуме" © Flanker

ED - please implement this so that mission makers / server operators can help you to provide us with an immersive experience. 

Nothing breaks immersion (especially in VR) like having to navigate a menu to communicate.   I feel like the community is doing the 'heavy lifting' here with projects like OverlordBot -- please support them with API support so they can do great things for the community.

• Like 1

+1

Even if ED plans to make their next ATC system work with our voices and an AI, releasing these APIs would still allow mission and campaign creators far better control of what's going on than would otherwise be possible. If no one on staff have used the OverlordBot or the accompanying ATC system you're missing a golden opportunity. No other flight sim out there now has a similar ability to what OverlordBot brings to the table. The only thing similar is VoxATC on FSX or P3D.

• Like 3

It would be great for immersion!

Feel the need, the need for speed forum.jpg

I feel the need...the need for speed. Highway...to the danger zone. Gonna take you right into the danger zone.

MB ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer, CPU i5 4690, GPU MSI GTX 970 4GB, RAM Corsair Vengeance blue 24GB, SSD Samsung EVO 860 500GB, T16000M FCS Hotas, PS3 cam with Opentrack.

I support this request from ruronijones - Overlordbot is a critical part of DCS immersion, and ensuring that it can integrate well with upcoming ATC developments is in the best interests of all MP users. Please, ED - releasing these API's would be an act good faith from ED to developers who give of their time freely to enhance our experience of your product. 

• Like 1