Transfer steerpoints from the F10 map into the aircraft - DCS: The Way

Comrade Doge

It seems I cannot make the v2.3.1 run. It keeps on showing "No connection to DCS" text. I uninstalled completely v2.4.1.

Then I edited the text inside the Export.lue file to: local TheWayLfs=require('lfs'); dofile(TheWayLfs.writedir()..'Scripts/TheWay.lua')

sinice v.2.3.1 has no folder "\Scripts\TheWay" like v2.4.

Also copied TheWay.lua inside the Scripts folder.

What else am I missing here?

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\theway is only 6MB big. Is that enough?

image.png

Edited by skywalker22

What I was also wondering for the F-16 (can't talk for the other planes), is it possible that the steerpoint on HSD would be designated as normal steerpoint (as you create it in mission editor) as a circle? Now each steerpoint created with this app is somekind of an asterix. And to connect these newly created steerpoints is not possible to connect with a line, right? Like by default.

image.png

Edited by skywalker22

On 1/21/2024 at 11:15 AM, Thedoc_tv said:

Amazing app.

Do you plan on adding the possibility to choose the type of waypoint I want to store (target, markpoint, hazard, control measure etc..)?

Yes this is in the plans for the Apache, the more I fly it the sooner I'm gonna make it

On 1/22/2024 at 8:49 AM, skywalker22 said:

What I was also wondering for the F-16 (can't talk for the other planes), is it possible that the steerpoint on HSD would be designated as normal steerpoint (as you create it in mission editor) as a circle? Now each steerpoint created with this app is somekind of an asterix. And to connect these newly created steerpoints is not possible to connect with a line, right? Like by default.

image.png

Make sure you are not actually creating a mark point, that would be represented as a cross on the HSD. Generally if you don't choose too higher STPT numbers you won't run into the mark point data bank

• Thanks 1

----- F-16C -----
(steerpoints 1-25)
> steerpoints 1-20  (auto)
> steerpoints 21-25 (only man)
Active Navigation Route (white line) steerpoints 1-25.

> Steerpoints 26-30 are reserved as markpoints

>>> The Bullseye point <<< is normally set to Steerpoint 25 but can be set to a different steerpoint on the BULL DED page. Each subsequent markpoint that is stored will overwrite steerpoints 26-30 in a cyclic fashion.

Maybe it can help

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to get it to work in an A-10C on a pretense server where I selected a mission (and thus already have some waypoints). It works connection wise, I can set-up waypoints in the gui using the F10 map. But when I click "transfer to DCS", I immediately get a CDU error displayed in the A-10. I already upped the delay to 100ms. Anything that I could have done wrong or any information how I could debug the issue?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, please check the newest release with the following bugfixes:

• Fixed crash on exiting DCS
  • Fixed not being able to select waypoints on water using keybinds

Important!
To update to this version from an older one, replace your existing TheWay folder found in Saved Games/DCS/Scripts with the new one, overriding any modified files. Then, run the new installer. No need to modify the Export.lua file.

Download link here: https://github.com/aronCiucu/DCSTheWay/releases/tag/v2.4.2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

VR issue

Ciao.  Super mod that help us a lot.   Thank you.

It will help VR users a lot to have a joystick key mapping.   

At the moment, when I make a waypoint on the map I need to take off my VR and use my mouse on the monitor or on the keyboard to find the right buttons to memorize and transfer in the CDU.   

Instead If you give us a joystick key mapping, we will do everything inside the VR. 

Do you have in program to realize it ? 

3 hours ago, Luthor033 said:

VR issue

Ciao.  Super mod that help us a lot.   Thank you.

It will help VR users a lot to have a joystick key mapping.   

At the moment, when I make a waypoint on the map I need to take off my VR and use my mouse on the monitor or on the keyboard to find the right buttons to memorize and transfer in the CDU.   

Instead If you give us a joystick key mapping, we will do everything inside the VR. 

Do you have in program to realize it ? 

You could probably use VoiceAttack to do this if there is nothing else.

Voice attack usually works by performing keypresses and other things when you say a command, but you can also program voice attack to do a command when you press a key, or a joystick button.

So when you press a joystick button you can have voice attack press a key, or multiple keys like LCTRL+A for example.

You can also program voice attack to move the mouse pointer to a specific point on your monitor. As long as "TheWay" opens in the same place each time you run it, that should be good.

You can also program voice attack to move the mouse and then press a mouse button.

The free version of Voice Attack let's you have 20 seperate commands IIRC, and each command can do multiple steps.

Eg

Move the mouse pointer 

Press Left mouse button

Move the mouse pointer

Press right mouse button

Play a sound.

Just an idea 💡 

Edited by jonsky7
  • Like 2

Just found TheWay last week got it working no issues on my last PC, got a new PC yesterday and i just cant get it working at all, just got the "no Connection to DCS" message in the app,
I've uninstalled/re-enstalled, made exceptions for everything i can think DCS related in windef, just out of ideas probably something silly ive missed but i cant figure it out any ideas?

regards

Nevermind its randomly started to work for .... reasons i dont know what was the issue but heh its working

Edited by shinobi61

The Way V 2.4.2, please help. (Both VR and 2D)

Installed the apps as instructed (copy "Theway" folder, edited the "export.lua", Installer run.

The apps started, and showing connected to my plane in DCS (A10C2), I have setup key bindings
CTRL + SHIFT + X (Toggle Crosshair)
CTRL + SHIFT + S (Save Waypoint)
CTRL + SHIFT + D (Delete Last Waypoint)
CTRL + SHIFT + A (Delete All Waypoints)
CTRL + SHIFT + T (Transfer Waypoints).

Nothing change when I use any of the above key bindings. 

I can save the waypoint by pressing the green tab "Save" on Theway control screen, the Lat/Lon save a waypoint with correct information.

But I cannot export/transfer the WP to DCS.

Anyone can help? Thanks.

Did you have an older version installed before 2.4.2?
I still had 1.5.1 installed. After upgrading to the latest (I just ran the latest installer thinking it would be enough) it didn't work either anymore.
Did some investigation it turned out there is another spelling in the TheWay folder (the older one had a space in it) that needs to go into the scripts' folder + the line to copy into the export.lua was different too.
After these corrections it worked.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Hey, I'm having and issue in which I do not get a connection to DCS denullspite following the install instructions to the letter including that it was a clean install of TheWay. still scratching my head on what the potential issue is. could it potentially have something to do with DCS being on a external hard drive? 

image.png

Edited by gazzy5

When putting a green dot over point like a tank in F10, what is the best way? Should it be marked at the tanks elevation? Seems it can be off quite a bit when getting a Maverick ready, so I'm trying to get a better way of getting closer to the tank...yes, I know how to move the pointer.

I "guess" you need to remove V242 from the name of the TheWayV242 folder.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Just installed today and all working ok other than the little green crosshair dot won't go away even after closing The Way app?

Its still perched smack dab in the middle of my DCS screen?  Using the Toggle Crosshair hotkey (CTL-ALT-X) i set up does nothing either?

Any ideas?

Thanks. 

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - Intel Core i9-13900K - 64GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 3200 MHz - ASUS TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4 - Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 - 2TB  INTEL NVMe SSD (Windows 10) - Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (DCS) - Crucial CT1000 1TB NVMe SSD - WinWing F-16EX Stick - WinWing Orion Throttle Base with both F-18 & F-16C TQS Throttle Grips - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech G-910 Keyboard - Logitech G-502 Lightspeed Mouse - Logitech G-533 Headset - Occulus Quest Pro VR - TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro

@Comrade DogeThis is one piece of very cool software. Thanks a lot. Makes waypoint-editing sooo much more fun 🙂 (and a lot less painful). I was wondering how you transfer the waypoints into the planes systems. I'm one of the Devs from VSN and your App would come in very handy for our F-4B/C and upcoming standalone Mods for multiplayer use. Right now, we are reading the waypoints from the mission itself. Is there a possibility to read the waypoints from TheWay somehow? It transfer the waypoints somewhere and I guess they do not get set in the mission itself?

There's a button "Transfer to DCS".
Once you have set your waypoints, revert to the plane's cockpit press the "Transfer to DCS" button.
This will then transfer the waypoints into the plane's NAV system. You'll see The Way do its job, just like you would do it yourself manually.

On 3/25/2024 at 8:37 PM, minimi66 said:

Hey guys,

Just installed today and all working ok other than the little green crosshair dot won't go away even after closing The Way app?

Its still perched smack dab in the middle of my DCS screen?  Using the Toggle Crosshair hotkey (CTL-ALT-X) i set up does nothing either?

Any ideas?

Thanks. 

Hello, try starting theway again and opening/closing the crosshair. It should reset itself.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:12 PM, PeeJott17 said:

@Comrade DogeThis is one piece of very cool software. Thanks a lot. Makes waypoint-editing sooo much more fun 🙂 (and a lot less painful). I was wondering how you transfer the waypoints into the planes systems. I'm one of the Devs from VSN and your App would come in very handy for our F-4B/C and upcoming standalone Mods for multiplayer use. Right now, we are reading the waypoints from the mission itself. Is there a possibility to read the waypoints from TheWay somehow? It transfer the waypoints somewhere and I guess they do not get set in the mission itself?

Hello, TheWay can save the waypoints to a file, as well as being transferred in the jet. Simply click the download icon in the bottom left corner to save the waypoints in a json format.

1 hour ago, Cobb said:

How do we set up the CTRL + SHIFT + (key)?  I can get the CTRL or SHIFT to show in the Keybindings setup, but not both.

It should work if you hold ctrl, then hold shift, and then the next key. If it doesn't, PM me and we'll take a closer look

Hi all,

I'm new to DCS, and I have been trying to install the way V2.4.2 and V2.4.1 for over an hour, but the installer simply doesn't work at all. I double click it, or run as administrator, and still getting no reaction at all from my PC, not even an installation error message.

I'm installing it on Windows 11.

If anyone have any clue why the installer isn't working, please let me know.

thanks  

When run it (should) install automatically into:

C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\Programs\theway

But you should see (only briefly) an installer window, no option to select where to install though.

Edited by Lange_666