DCS MiG-23 development update

10 minutes ago, WinterH said:

From what I gather, Razbam's development cycle goes like "do the 3D first, start with coding once that part is more or less ready". While in recent couple of years their number of programmers seem to have grown so that they do now actually have multiple teams, with highly complex Strike Eagle being in development (and seemingly being slotted for an earlier release than the MiG), as well as Mirage 2000C still seeing improvements, and Harrier seemingly having things to be done (don't follow that one closely TBH so not sure), one can see and understand that it will likely be a while before we see systems working on the MiG, let alone having even a tentative release window.

At least it is being worked on, and I am happy to see that. But I don't expect it to be in our virtual hangars soon if I have to be realistic. With 3D model progressing, and Mirage as well as Harrier having relatively little left to do on them coding wise (well not sure on Harrier but I would hope anyway), we will like start seeing such progress on the 23 too in the coming months. But for an early access, I'd say at least about a year, give or take a month or two 😛

Thank you WinterH.

I fully understand, although it's a pity it will take so long.

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I seriously hope this bird will be of the same quality as the harrier and the F-15E else I’m not even gonna bother. So far I’m not really impressed of the development cycle of this one so far. Was really looking forward to the Flogger cause I love these old soviet Cold War era birds but meh… 

• Like 1

g8PjVMw.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, shaneduce said:

So any day now?

Its coming after the F15E. So likely a year out at least.

• Like 1

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 3:55 PM, grimm862 said:

Sucks I'd much rather have this thing than the f-15. But I am sure the f-15 is going to sell like hotcakes. Keep up the great work razbam.

Thats the issue right. Its a shame cuz the F15 is gonna consume resources for a loong time in EA.

• Like 2

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

1 hour ago, Krez said:

A different team is on the MiG-23 than the F-15E.

Keep thinking that. 3 model wise thats true..

On 11/23/2022 at 6:18 PM, Krez said:

You have inside information or are you just guessing?

I'm on their discord and I talk to them, their coding resources are going to the F15 RN. And they don't start coding stuff till the 3D model is complete, and we still haven't seen the 3d pit. So draw your own conclusions. Once the F15 drops into EA I suspect they will start coding basic systems and FM for the 23 as their FM guy will largely be free to do that while tweaking the 15FM. 

So the primary determinants of when the 23 comes, are:

1. When is the 3d pit done?

2. And when the Eagle drops, and how complete it is in terms of various stuff. 

Edited by Harlikwin
  • Like 1

On 11/25/2022 at 1:23 PM, Harlikwin said:

I'm on their discord and I talk to them, their coding resources are going to the F15 RN. And they don't start coding stuff till the 3D model is complete, and we still haven't seen the 3d pit. So draw your own conclusions. Once the F15 drops into EA I suspect they will start coding basic systems and FM for the 23 as their FM guy will largely be free to do that while tweaking the 15FM. 

So the primary determinants of when the 23 comes, are:

1. When is the 3d pit done?

2. And when the Eagle drops, and how complete it is in terms of various stuff. 

Razban have already stated that two different teams are working the projects. Maybe they do this when it's closer to release?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Given the state of the artwork and the relative simplicity of the systems - I wouldn't be surprised if the IA-58 ends up being released in between the F-15E and the Mig-23ML

Doubt though
I believe that once the Eagle is released more efforts will be put into the MiG
I could be wrong and I wouldn't mind at all xD

5 hours ago, Alex Delgado said:

Doubt though
I believe that once the Eagle is released more efforts will be put into the MiG
I could be wrong and I wouldn't mind at all xD

I'm kind-of expecting both before 2024... of course, it is dangerous to expect things like that - so I wouldn't advise anyone else to do it. But I'm willing to risk 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 7:47 AM, Avimimus said:

Given the state of the artwork and the relative simplicity of the systems - I wouldn't be surprised if the IA-58 ends up being released in between the F-15E and the Mig-23ML

Yeah you might be right. I mean it needs a basic gunsight, engine controls, and an FM, its basically a WW2 fighter systems wise. 

On 11/26/2022 at 2:03 PM, Krez said:

Razban have already stated that two different teams are working the projects. Maybe they do this when it's closer to release?

You need to understand what a "team" is for razbam may not be what you are thinking of. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Avimimus said:

I'm kind-of expecting both before 2024... of course, it is dangerous to expect things like that - so I wouldn't advise anyone else to do it. But I'm willing to risk 🙂

MIg-23 will go out in 2023

MIG-25 in 2025 

31 ....

57?!! I will be long time dead by that year 😄

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2022 at 6:24 PM, Avimimus said:

I came through look for news... so the text of this message and thought 'poor fool'... then saw that it was me!

• Like 3