VR Institutionalized Pilot

DishDoggie

Speaking of neck, I just finished a 3-hour session practicing A2A in the turkey, and now, my neck is shaking...

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

The contents of DCS World are so overwhelming to me: so many things to try, so many things to revisit. For now, whining about new products being late does not make much sense.

10 hours ago, DucS2r said:

I recently went from the Rift S to the G2. It is a night and day difference to me and has made me go 100% VR, a very good thing indeed. Takes a few weeks to get everything tuned properly, it is not plug and play like the Rift, but it is a major upgrade. As long as you have the horsepower to run it, I think you will love it. 

This is literally the main reason why I'm still staying away from a G2 at this moment. I don't HAVE several weeks of tuning to do. At this moment it's time better worth playing. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

This is literally the main reason why I'm still staying away from a G2 at this moment. I don't HAVE several weeks of tuning to do. At this moment it's time better worth playing. 

If you have a high spec rig and follow Speed of Heat's guide carefully, I reckon you can easily be fully optimised with a G2 in less than a day.

I did and my G2 is silky smooth. I'm aligned with SOH's test 26 settings including mods..and I use the universal shader mod on top of that for even sharper clarity.

Plenty of us G2 owners to lend a hand if needed.

Go on..do it !

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Don't let the mentions of tuning scare you away from the G2.  Its just like any other new tool, as is the Rift.  Its not any more difficult to deal with than a Rift, its just different.  I had all the same gripes when I went from the Rift CV1 to the Reverb G1.  But, the more I thought about it, the CV1 was a PITA to get working properly too, just because it was new to me.  I remember all the research I had to do to find out that it was best to install a dedicated, powered USB card (even my self-powered hub didn't have sufficient power to run the CV1 and my HOTAS at the same time).  When the G1 came, I had to learn the ins and outs of WMR and getting the two Steam programs installed to make WMR and SteamVR work together.  According to the reading I was doing (most of it on this very forum), there were all kinds of hoops to jump through each time I wanted to go into DCS.  But, most of that turned out to be urban legends that were just passed on as tribal knowledge.  Its actually very simple.  Plug the power brick for the G2 in, wait for WMR to recognize it and start up, then start DCS like you normally would...that's it.

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

2 minutes ago, eaglecash867 said:

Don't let the mentions of tuning scare you away from the G2.  Its just like any other new tool, as is the Rift.  Its not any more difficult to deal with than a Rift, its just different.  I had all the same gripes when I went from the Rift CV1 to the Reverb G1.  But, the more I thought about it, the CV1 was a PITA to get working properly too, just because it was new to me.  I remember all the research I had to do to find out that it was best to install a dedicated, powered USB card (even my self-powered hub didn't have sufficient power to run the CV1 and my HOTAS at the same time).  When the G1 came, I had to learn the ins and outs of WMR and getting the two Steam programs installed to make WMR and SteamVR work together.  According to the reading I was doing (most of it on this very forum), there were all kinds of hoops to jump through each time I wanted to go into DCS.  But, most of that turned out to be urban legends that were just passed on as tribal knowledge.  Its actually very simple.  Plug the power brick for the G2 in, wait for WMR to recognize it and start up, then start DCS like you normally would...that's it.

I don't use the Steam version of DCS, just standalone is that a problem?

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Just now, Lurker said:

I don't use the Steam version of DCS, just standalone is that a problem?

Not a problem at all.  Its just the SteamVR application and the SteamVR for WMR application that you need installed.  I have the standalone version of DCS and it works just fine.

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Any effort spent tuning tuning is worth it and using other's help will significantly shorten the time required. I'm well into the love of VR thread!! I have been on and off sims for a very long time. I used them because I want to experience flying. I went off them because I couldn't experience flying. VR is a technology that has been on the horizon for years, and I have said years ago "one day I can fly jets in VR and it will be awesome". These days I fly jets, warbirds and helis in VR and it is...awesome! Without VR I would probably do something else.

• Like 3

The G2 now is quite easy to setup, unbeatable quality and crisp image. I can't fly without it....I spent several hours in a cessna with xp11 in vr  and after a while I rent a real one with a teacher,  made a trip from Basel to Luxemburg and back, made taxi, take off and most part of the flight for a total of1 hour. Of course the sensations was different but amazing how is near to reality.    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hoirtel said:

Any effort spent tuning tuning is worth it and using other's help will significantly shorten the time required. I'm well into the love of VR thread!! I have been on and off sims for a very long time. I used them because I want to experience flying. I went off them because I couldn't experience flying. VR is a technology that has been on the horizon for years, and I have said years ago "one day I can fly jets in VR and it will be awesome". These days I fly jets, warbirds and helis in VR and it is...awesome! Without VR I would probably do something else.

Yeah, I spent months getting VR properly configured, with the Rift S. It's been a bumpy ride, and my system is no slouch. I have a RTX3090, but it still took me a while to get it to run great. It's been a hit and miss with regards to what settings I can tune in Windows, with the drivers and within DCS, and most of my performance "boost" came from disabling HAGS. So yeah, maybe it's time for an upgrade as the clarity of the Rift S indeed leaves a lot to be desired. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lurker said:

I need to qualify my two weeks statement. That was an hour or so each evening over two weeks. Plus I acquired a new computer so that included testing and setting the XMP memory profile, fooling around with overclocking the CPU (I didn’t end up doing it) and coming up with an undervolting  profile for the 3090. Plus, I had not used mods before, so I had to learn how to use a mod manager, plus test out Keggety’s shaders and other potential mods. That was when Reshade first came out too, so lots of fooling around with it. And Speed of Heat’s tests came out too, so I tried all of those. The only real time spent just on just the G2 involved learning to use and set up WMR portal, Steam VR, and putting my standalone DCS in the Steam directory. 

If I had had the set up guide Speed of Heat put together, and with my computer already set up I could have done the whole thing in a couple of days. I love to tinker as well, so I didn’t rush. I basically did everything SOH ended up with, except I use Reshade VR and do not use FSR. I also added a thin face plate gasket to improve the FOV and sweet spot. 

Edited by DucS2r
  • Like 1

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

10 hours ago, ShaunX said:

If you have a high spec rig and follow Speed of Heat's guide carefully, I reckon you can easily be fully optimised with a G2 in less than a day.

I did and my G2 is silky smooth. I'm aligned with SOH's test 26 settings including mods..and I use the universal shader mod on top of that for even sharper clarity.

Plenty of us G2 owners to lend a hand if needed.

Go on..do it !

What @ShaunXsaid... I'm not going to bore you with all the details, but suffice it to say I had sworn off VR until I finally, FINALLY I got my G2 tuned using Speed of Heat's guide and the universal shader.  I can now look sideways without seeing smeared vibrating doubles.  Everything is silky smooth, stunning and absolutely brilliant.  Every aggravating hair pulling second was worth it tenfold.

Edited by GoodHope

VR immersion sometimes has consequences..

After posting in this thread yesterday, I flew a mission with my G2 and after completing it I had just touched down my Hornet, and was barrelling down the runway under control, when an AI Hornet which was waiting in a cross taxiway, suddenly decided to taxi across my runway, right in front of me. I almost came out of my seat, instinctively stamped hard on the brakes, and my right rudder pedal snapped !

So take care and remember "most driving accidents occur within a few miles of home" 😉

• Like 6

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

19 hours ago, DucS2r said:

I need to qualify my two weeks statement. That was an hour or so each evening over two weeks. Plus I acquired a new computer so that included testing and setting the XMP memory profile, fooling around with overclocking the CPU (I didn’t end up doing it) and coming up with an undervolting  profile for the 3090. Plus, I had not used mods before, so I had to learn how to use a mod manager, plus test out Keggety’s shaders and other potential mods. That was when Reshade first came out too, so lots of fooling around with it. And Speed of Heat’s tests came out too, so I tried all of those. The only real time spent just on just the G2 involved learning to use and set up WMR portal, Steam VR, and putting my standalone DCS in the Steam directory. 

If I had had the set up guide Speed of Heat put together, and with my computer already set up I could have done the whole thing in a couple of days. I love to tinker as well, so I didn’t rush. I basically did everything SOH ended up with, except I use Reshade VR and do not use FSR. I also added a thin face plate gasket to improve the FOV and sweet spot. 

I would build it up slowly as it's almost impossible to do everything at once. You will have no idea what's working and what isn't. But if you love to tinker as you say then maybe it works for you. 

• Like 1

Good thread DishDoggie, I can relate to a lot said here.  Loving VR and find it difficult to cope with flat screen flying when my group wants to fly a particular flight sim that has not yet made the change to VR.  For me, VR has revolutionised flight simulation and I am indeed a VRI pilot. 

Happy landings,

Talisman

• Like 1

Bell_UH-1 side.png