CCIP with Bombs

Sleepy Joe
Go to solution Solved by LastRifleRound,

I've been using the f18 for a few weeks now and slowly learning as I go. I recently started practicing dropping mk-82s and CBU99s. For whatever reason I am unable to hit my targets. I've done the ingame tutorials and watched many youtube videos on the topic and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and whats causing me to miss.

I set up all the bomb parameters, select CCIP hit sensor select forward (can't remember the name of the mode) wait for the X on the bottom of the line then I drop the bombs. Seems like I'm always 100 feet short and 200-300 feet short with the CBU99s.

I've seen some older posts saying its bug? Is that still the case or am I just doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Specs: RTX 3080FTW3, 5800x, 32gb 3200MHz ram

Peripherals: HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter MKIII with SCG Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle

Would need to see a track to help diagnose what the problem may be. Sensor Control Switch Forward in A/G master mode will command Air-to-Ground-Ranging (AGR) mode on the radar. When using Rockeyes (CBU-99 or Mk-20), ensure the HT option is set to 1500, as changing it on the STORES display doesn't actually change the burst altitude of the canister. It's hard-set at 1500 on the weapon.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

• Solution

CCIP is bugged, the aiming cross is mis-placed. Additionally, if you are using Mk83's, those are bugged for all but a very specific speed and altitude pairing.

Confirmed Pipper bug below. Mk83 bug also confirmed but it's old (though never fixed) so I'd have to dig it up.

If you want to use CCIP, you need to drop late, past the target. You can use the FLIR as well, which does accurately place the impact point.

14 hours ago, LastRifleRound said:

CCIP is bugged, the aiming cross is mis-placed. Additionally, if you are using Mk83's, those are bugged for all but a very specific speed and altitude pairing.

Confirmed Pipper bug below. Mk83 bug also confirmed but it's old (though never fixed) so I'd have to dig it up.

If you want to use CCIP, you need to drop late, past the target. You can use the FLIR as well, which does accurately place the impact point.

Oh really so its not me. Good to hear lol. Thanks for the help.

Peripherals: HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter MKIII with SCG Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle

Jeez, so now CCIP is down too. Great. I wonder how many hours the OP wasted trying and trying just to find out it isn't him screwing up. As I said in another thread, I'd like to see ED fix all the bugs before they spend time putting out a new 'feature'.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, CBStu said:

Jeez, so now CCIP is down too. Great. I wonder how many hours the OP wasted trying and trying just to find out it isn't him screwing up. As I said in another thread, I'd like to see ED fix all the bugs before they spend time putting out a new 'feature'.

it's been broken going back to release despite being "fixed" multiple times, like many other systems.  swiss cheese module

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CBStu said:

I also wish there was a list of bugs that they are aware of that I could reference. Its especially difficult when you're new. I had no idea if it was a bug or something I was doing wrong.

• Like 2

I also wish there was a list of bugs that they are aware of that I could reference. Its especially difficult when you're new. I had no idea if it was a bug or something I was doing wrong.
There's a massive list of reported issues in the Bug section, some of which date back to the release of the Hornet. Since they're posted in their own forums, ED is or should be aware of them. No one can comment on whether or not they are a priority, though.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Well, there´s a reason why this aircraft is called The Bug

Also, is incredible that the solution to this problem is to say, "its bugged, sort it out yourself" 
Incredible indeed, but no one here can do anything more than tell the OP how the situation is. At least they won't waste their time testing for an old, reported bug or thinking they're doing something wrong. And at least, they can go in the Bugs section and check about other bugs there.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

4 hours ago, Harker said:
14 hours ago, AKULA_OPTIMUS said:
Well, there´s a reason why this aircraft is called The Bugemoji23.png

Also, is incredible that the solution to this problem is to say, "its bugged, sort it out yourself" emoji2357.png

Incredible indeed, but no one here can do anything more than tell the OP how the situation is. At least they won't waste their time testing for an old, reported bug or thinking they're doing something wrong. And at least, they can go in the Bugs section and check about other bugs there.

Yea, and that´s ridiculous, we don´t even have a post with all know bugs for this module, you have to search through hundreds of threads to see if the problem is reported or not, and that´s if you know theres is a forum, most of the players don´t. ED has A LOT to improve in this regard, many times it´s like they don´t even care, as it is shown with bugs that have been there since the module was launch. Three years had passed, the aircraft is still in early acces with dozens of bugs, but still they charge full price for it.

On 11/8/2021 at 6:58 AM, LastRifleRound said:

Is this serious? CCIP is still bugged?

Guys, I was away from home and therefore DCS for one year and I came back a couple of weeks ago. The state of the Hornet is by no means better than a year ago. I was hoping that one year of hard work would probably get things fixed or at least improved.

Is Kate giving updates like she used to do? What happened this year?

• Like 1

Stay safe

The last day or two I have been flying a mission requiring long flights so an extra tank under each wing. There are multiple targets so 2 dumb bombs under the fuselage and some MavF under the wings. I hate CCIP (and now I know why) so have been trying alternate armaments but have yet to be successful. This really pi$$e$ me off. The absolute simplest type of bombing is bugged and has been for years??? They have had time apparently to design and build not just one, but two Flir pods, ground radar, a new carrier, a FLOLs cartoon, etc, etc, etc. ED fix this crap!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CBStu said:

The last day or two I have been flying a mission requiring long flights so an extra tank under each wing. There are multiple targets so 2 dumb bombs under the fuselage and some MavF under the wings. I hate CCIP (and now I know why) so have been trying alternate armaments but have yet to be successful. This really pi$$e$ me off. The absolute simplest type of bombing is bugged and has been for years??? They have had time apparently to design and build not just one, but two Flir pods, ground radar, a new carrier, a FLOLs cartoon, etc, etc, etc. ED fix this crap!

yeah I heard you man. It makes the learning process that much harder.

• Like 1

Genuinely curious: Why the fixation on CCIP? It’s my understanding that “the Navy way” is to drop in AUTO (source Fighter Pilot Podcast).

I have excellent results designating the target with ATFLIR and rolling in for a 30deg or 45deg delivery in AUTO. Good hits almost every time. 

It doesn’t fix the CCIP issues, but when one tool isn’t working just use another until it does get fixed. 

14 hours ago, Nealius said:

Genuinely curious: Why the fixation on CCIP? It’s my understanding that “the Navy way” is to drop in AUTO (source Fighter Pilot Podcast).

I have excellent results designating the target with ATFLIR and rolling in for a 30deg or 45deg delivery in AUTO. Good hits almost every time. 

It doesn’t fix the CCIP issues, but when one tool isn’t working just use another until it does get fixed. 

I'm learning the game and the F18. I figured manual bombing would be easy for me to learn but boy was I wrong lol.

That is pretty much what I have been doing- using other methods. But I happened to try a mission where the standard loadout would not allow room for Atflir pod so had to try CCIP. Since reading here that many of the setup routines we need to go through would, in RL, be done on the ground and a cartridge inserted into the jet, lately I have been using the F10 map, or mission planning map, to get coords to set up an extra waypoint. Then I can set that and use waypoint designate for targeting. 

what's the fixation on CCIP

At least in older versions (haven't tried AUTO lately), CCIP has been way more accurate than AUTO.  A year ago, 99% direct hits on vehicles from 10k was possible.  AUTO didn't get similar results because of the granulairity with which it checks for release conditions.  By the time the computer decides to drop, the plane has already moved slightly away from the release condition. 

Also, you can't (easily) attack multiple targets in one pass with AUTO.  8 hits used to be possible with CCIP from one dive. 

CCIP also uses the least key binds and usage is similar in all planes of all eras.  

Not saying high accuracy is realistic, but the F-18 CCIP should work at least as good as a SU-33. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike_CK said:

What about mk-84s? I guess I mean: is it the CCIP system on the aircraft or drag/energy issues with specific bombs ?

This is what I'm wondering. I typically use Mk82 or Mk83 and have had zero issues with AUTO. The other day I did a few CCIP runs with Mk82 (dropping on the ships wake, so couldn't designate for AUTO), and I didn't see any egregious accuracy issues. The only issue I experienced was significant delay between button press and release, causing my shots to fall long until I figured out the timing. AUTO eliminates this delay, which I suspsect may be one reason it's supposedly preferred in real life.

Edited by Nealius

I just did some test, CCIP is really a lottery, sometimes you hit bullseye, sometimes you miss by 10 meters, and I´m talking about releasing them at constant speeds and stable flight, no crazy manoeuvres,  AUTO is overall more reliable but also limited. With fragmentation bombs... it doesn´t matter how you launch them, they are bugged and they hit wherever they want, and its been like that for more than a year at least🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKULA_OPTIMUS said:

I just did some test, CCIP is really a lottery, sometimes you hit bullseye, sometimes you miss by 10 meters, and I´m talking about releasing them at constant speeds and stable flight, no crazy manoeuvres,  AUTO is overall more reliable but also limited. With fragmentation bombs... it doesn´t matter how you launch them, they are bugged and they hit wherever they want, and its been like that for more than a year at least🤦‍♂️

To be fair: IRL the CEP of iron bombs is way worse than 10m/30ft

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H