Release by end of Q1 2022

xavnl

The regular day for patches for the open beta in the US has been Wednesday.

Again, why not just announce a release date qualified with “barring any blocking bugs”? Instead, the practice seems to be some reps saying “imminent”, the module going “gold” (whatever that signals), and forum admins posting various conflicting statements on various unofficial boards (saying that the tutorials won’t hold up release, that release won’t happen this week, that they “might” be wrong, that you “might” have a great week off). Ugh. 

• Like 5

I'd say the 'mights' are to due with not being 100% certain. If it's going to take a week of things going well to have this rolled out - then that's the plan, but the best intentions don't always go as expected. If it's a week (or close to worth of work to be done), that's a week or close to of something not going as planned, and having to delay a few days. Anyone who has worked in IT with rollouts knows that it's not smooth every time. 

Given the way I've seen the way some posts have been made on this board, I suspect they've probably been burned plenty of times before by "you said", so now they keep it a little vague so not as to get burned again. I'm guessing they want to share information and be as transparent as possible, but they want to protect the company and themselves at the same time if it doesn't go as expected. Many here don't understand the concept of an open beta and get upset when there's bugs in it... and thus probably have about the same capacity to understand an estimated release "baring blocking bugs" date vs a cemented will happen date. I suspect they're just accommodating for those minds in their responses.

The other option would have been to shut up, keep saying "By the 31st of March", and then when it's released - announce it then. So I for one am grateful for the transparency they're showing.

Edited by Dangerzone
  • Like 1

I guess I’m in the camp of them not saying anything then other than their true “committed” date. I don’t think “might” is a problem necessarily, it’s the conflicting info from their sources spread across various medium combined with statements like “imminent”. Why use that word if you really mean a month away? 

5 minutes ago, davidrbarnette said:

I guess I’m in the camp of them not saying anything then other than their true “committed” date.

There's 3 ways then of achieving this.

1) Say nothing, and not release it before March 31st and just hold onto it until then even though it's going to be available earlier.

2) Keep saying by March 31st until it's actually available for download and give a surprise announcement.

3) Give us the best available information they have and be transparent even though that means that things will change as they hit hurdles themselves. 

I get what you're saying.  But I also get people (like myself) appreciating updated information. In this instance you're probably better off not following this thread (and similar) and sticking with the assumption of March 31st until it's definitely released - then you'd get to have your desire, and we'd get to have ours too. 😉

7 hours ago, ebabil said:

It doesn't have to be "rest of the patch"

they can add a module without a comprehensive patch

The new Modules usually need a new patch level also.

3 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

The bit that concerns me the most is steam.

Easy fix. Stop using Steam for DCS it just hurts ED profits. I did it years ago and never for even one second regretted it. And ED makes more money to turn into more flight modules we all love.

7 hours ago, giullep said:

Nineline said Yeah sorry, this week isn't happening, next week at the earliest, and it will be a regular release day for patches.…

when is the regular patch day?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pii said:

Easy fix. Stop using Steam for DCS it just hurts ED profits. I did it years ago and never for even one second regretted it. And ED makes more money to turn into more flight modules we all love.

I don't use steam. What concerns me is that the release could be delayed to accommodate what's required for steam to 'get it ready' was my point. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

As for normal release date - I think they're usually Thursday's aren't they?

Just remember that preparing a release of a project of this size isn't trivial. Even if everything is more or less finalized, it's not necessarily as easy as hitting a button to turn the closed beta into an OB release. They probably need some time to sort out the release itself.

If anything, Steam users are waiting for ED store, since AFAIK Steam makes updates relatively painless on their end.

5 hours ago, kornykidd0 said:

I wonder how long it’ll be before we get some quality campaigns. I haven’t really kept up on the F14 campaigns, we’re they designed around 2 player coop or just jester? Hopefully ED and the 3rd party teams don’t lock us out of coop. 

Could be at least a year if F/A-18 and F-16 are anything to go by. Probably depends how "fleshed-out" the module is upon release, many campaign creators don't like to invest time into campaigns when the module is changing every 2 months.

Coop and SP campaigns don't mix in the current state of DCS because you "have to" have a "Player" slot. Coop right now means "Client" slots and a server to host the mission. I also hope this changes in the future!

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

I really dislike them using the term "gone gold" for a product that is clearly going to be released into early access beta. I'm not surprised by it though, they have been hyping this release like no other. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Aren‘t we a little over sensitive with this term? I mean they even defined precisely what is meant by this in the next sentence. No tinkering with the code anymore.

And tbh the analogy is pretty solid. 

Not to mention that, when we (the forum) are not complaining about the choice of words, we usually are complaining of too little information… So, which one is it?

…and the hype is made up by ourselves at least to the same extent.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 6

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

10 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

I'd be seriously disappointed if everyone waiting for the Apache suddenly had it tied to an update for the Syria map, when many of the Apache consumers may not own or care about the Syria map.

Like it or not, but the Apache comes with the next OB patch which includes the expansion and many other things you might not consider important.

• Like 1

Just now, iRocco said:

Like it or not, but the Apache comes with the next OB patch which includes the expansion and many other things you might not consider important.

Absolutely this is a simulation that cares about every player also new flir updates etc are coming too. I agree with you

vor 27 Minuten schrieb Hiob:

Aren‘t we a little over sensitive with this term? I mean they even defined precisely what is meant by this in the next sentence. No tinkering with the code anymore.

Not to mention that, when we (the forum) are not complaining about the choice of words, we usually are complaining of too little information… So, which one is it?

I absolutely agree.

In the last months on one hand every single word from ED was filleted with a scalpel and overinterpreted through our wishes and expectations and on the other hand these poor guys were squeezed out to give us the latest detail in which exactly status the product is.

• Like 4

Code freeze is a code freeze, going gold doesn't mean no more changes ever. It used to, back in the days when patching something involved mailing your customers a floppy, but that hasn't been the case for a while. 

The good thing about Apache is that it seems to be releasing in a highly functional state. Weapons are basically all implemented, and the only major system that's not is one that's not always used IRL, anyway. As far as using the Apache in combat, as long as it's a situation where you'd not be using the FCR or the datalink that much, we basically have everything that we need. Of course, making a quality campaign takes time, but BD had already announced he's working on one.

• Like 1

I would say if all the things listed in the initial EA version work well, I would be very satisfied.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 minutes ago, hotrod525 said:

Back then, when internet wasnt as much of a thing in the game industry, "going gold" meant the game was in release candidate. Havent "heard" or "read" this for years now...

It's definitely still used. I follow a bunch of game companies on Twitter and they use that term in announcements.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

hace 6 horas, Hiob dijo:

( Edit: Upon further review, I have concluded that the matter was one of semantics, rather than one that is relating to time )

I believe that our comrade, Lurker just wants a definite date that is actually adhered to - commitment to a time of release - closure.

Edited by El buscador de la verdad
Updated to reflect new analysis

Just now, El buscador de la verdad said:

I believe that our comrade, Lurker just wants a definite date that is actually adhered to - commitment to a time of release - closure.

I believe you are wrong. And projecting.... 🙄

• Like 5

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"