Is it worth it?

nikita_nomad

Hi guys, so I've been flying DCS for a little while now. P51 and FC3 mainly. And what I have come to realize is that as much as I enjoy modern jets, it's just not the same without a clickable cockpit. I love Mustang and all the effort you need to put in to fly it, but as a module it's a completely different era and application. So my question is is it worth getting a trainer or a more simple jet to work my head around the systems first? Before taking on a something like f16/18. Although I am most interested in upcoming typhoon. And if it does make sense, which one would you recommend c101, l39, f5 or something different? Any input would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Nikita.

3 minutes ago, nikita_nomad said:

Before taking on a something like f16/18. Although I am most interested in upcoming typhoon. And if it does make sense, which one would you recommend c101, l39, f5 or something different?

The L39 uses soviet navigation equipment, so as a trainer for the F16 or F18 is not suitable. The F-5 or C-101 are both very good to learn to fly, I like the C-101 better because you can fly it with a friend as it supports multicrew (both need to own it tough).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

You don’t need a trainer. Why learn a bunch of systems only to move on and start from scratch? These are not real planes, no need to work your way up. 
There isn’t a plane or copter in the bunch that you can’t just jump in and fly by the seat of your pants with auto start or in the air start.  
pick your favorite and jump in. THEN learn the systems at your own pace. If you crash, hit reset and start again.  Since your life isn’t at risk, there is no danger in just jumping in and getting started. 

• Like 12

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

8 minutes ago, nikita_nomad said:

So my question is is it worth getting a trainer or a more simple jet to work my head around the systems first? Before taking on a something like f16/18.

Not really. The most efficient way to learn the aircraft is to fly that aircraft, not a different one. You just don't use every feature and system from Day 1. 

Trainer aircraft exist in real life exist because they are cheaper and safer to operate. None of those matter in the simulator. You do something stupid, just hit refly. 

Besides, none of the trainers we have in DCS would be considered a good trainer in real life for F-16/F-18 transition. They don't have glass cockpits and modern navigation systems, so apart from basic airmanship there isn't much you can learn that would carry over to more capable jets. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I agree with the posts above.  I started with the F-5, because I have always liked the aircraft, but it is really not needed as a "trainer" for the other aircraft.  You will find the jets easier to fly than props.  No matter what full sim jet you pick there will be a fire hose of information to absorb.  Just take the learning process in small bites.  That said, I personally recommend the F/A-18 as it does everything the F-16 can do with the addition of carrier ops.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

Cheers, guys, I do appreciate all the input. I only thought that it would be a gentle introduction into full fidelity jets, because it's quite intimidating with the amount of info on each newish airframe. But if its not much beneficial in terms of learning, I get your point. Baby steps for systems then and eventually weapons deployement I suppose.

Cheers, guys, I do appreciate all the input. I only thought that it would be a gentle introduction into full fidelity jets, because it's quite intimidating with the amount of info on each newish airframe. But if its not much beneficial in terms of learning, I get your point. Baby steps for systems then and eventually weapons deployement I suppose.
I agree with most points above.
But check out the free A-4E-C and T-45 modules to get a little feel for what to expect from full blown paid ones.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The A-4E-C has a manual that was updated in October, and the T-45 has a quickstart lite. They are in the Docs/Documentation folders in the modules, (like all DCS modules, which I didn't learn for the first two years after I got into DCS ).
But both forums are very friendly and a will answer your questions. YouTube is another source. But the T-45 is "very simple" currently. But tons of fun. Both modules works with the default carrier, and it's pretty cool to fly both to experience the difference, and might influence your question about the Viper/Hornet.
After having flown the A-4 for some time, the absolutely first thing I tried when I got the Hornet, was just getting it down successfully on a carrier. And I did on the first try!

3 hours ago, nikita_nomad said:

Hi guys, so I've been flying DCS for a little while now. P51 and FC3 mainly. And what I have come to realize is that as much as I enjoy modern jets, it's just not the same without a clickable cockpit. I love Mustang and all the effort you need to put in to fly it, but as a module it's a completely different era and application. So my question is is it worth getting a trainer or a more simple jet to work my head around the systems first? Before taking on a something like f16/18. Although I am most interested in upcoming typhoon. And if it does make sense, which one would you recommend c101, l39, f5 or something different? Any input would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Nikita.

If you want to get into Soviet aircraft, get L-39. If you want NATO, get an earlier American jet like C-101 or F-5. If you want helicopters go straight for your favorite. I fully recommend the FC-1 (JF-17) aircraft by DEKA which is very similar to a modernized MiG-21 with similarities to an F-16. I personally went L-39 --> MiG-21bis --> JF-17

MiG-19 is also an absolutely incredible module which I am now getting into. Competitiveness wise I would say that Soviets have the edge during cold war but since DCS doesn't have modern REDFOR aircraft of course NATO wins in a modern setting. JF-17 comes close to being top-tier though it's definitely one of the best with SD-10 and has impressive lineup of Air-to-Ground weaponry.

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

The A-4E-C has a manual that was updated in October, and the T-45 has a quickstart lite. They are in the Docs/Documentation folders in the modules, (like all DCS modules, which I didn't learn for the first two years after I got into DCS emoji31.png).
But both forums are very friendly and a will answer your questions. YouTube is another source. But the T-45 is "very simple" currently. But tons of fun. Both modules works with the default carrier, and it's pretty cool to fly both to experience the difference, and might influence your question about the Viper/Hornet.
After having flown the A-4 for some time, the absolutely first thing I tried when I got the Hornet, was just getting it down successfully on a carrier. And I did on the first try! emoji1.png

Would you recommend one over the other, and why, if so? EDIT: Probably t45 would be a better introduction to a modern ff jet.

Edited by nikita_nomad

3 minutes ago, draconus said:

Why don't you simply install any of those you're interested in and check for yourself?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/personal/licensing/trial/

Is a damn good suggestion!

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

It's not so much about it being a trainer, but rather a more simple, with less systems kind of jet. Doesn't even have to be weapon capable to be fair. Just to have a go and a slow boat introduction in a ff modern jets. I do think that t-45 is something that would do the job, and it's free. You can't really go wrong 🙂

Would you recommend one over the other, and why, if so? EDIT: Probably t45 would be a better introduction to a modern ff jet.
Get both. They're free!
Also, after you've had a look into them, remember that you can try out ANY paid module for free for two weeks. One after the other.
The C-101 have some very good training missions and a free campaign to hone your skills, and the L-39 have a paid training campaign.

I also fly the C-101 a lot. It's one of my favourite modules.
Tried it out during the free to play in the spring last year, and bought it the next day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nikita_nomad said:

Would you recommend one over the other, and why, if so?

The A-4E has been in development longer and so it is more complete, for example it can use DCS communications, the T-45 only uses the external comm SRS. Also the A-4 has a wider variety of armament, while the T-45 only has practice weapons. Both can use DCS carriers, but only the T-45 can be piloted by two people at the same time.

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

So I had a look at both mods. And even tho t45 is a more modern frame I was just blown away by the level of detail and available systems along with weapons, available for skyhawk. I can't believe still it's a free mod. Amazing work by the team behind it. And on top of that it seems better optimized, as I lost about 10 frames in t45 and none in the skyhawk, when loaded in the same scenarios.

• Like 1

So I had a look at both mods. And even tho t45 is a more modern frame I was just blown away by the level of detail and available systems along with weapons, available for skyhawk. I can't believe still it's a free mod. Amazing work by the team behind it. And on top of that it seems better optimized, as I lost about 10 frames in t45 and none in the skyhawk, when loaded in the same scenarios.
Yeah, it's awesome, and it's not even "done" yet!

• Like 1

Does anyone know how to change the cockpit photo in it? I replace the one from textures folder with exactly the same options, and file extension. But when I log into game it shows up as a missing texture...
missing.thumb.jpg.2527645fcd4dad8b9291563e56181ca4.jpg
Has to be the exact same name too.

If you like clickable cockpit and you are willing to learn. Pick whatever plane you like and get to know it inside out. No plane is too difficult, if you decide that's the bird you want to fly.
IMO you don't need a trainer, but you might want to learn on a trainer first because it would replicate a real life learning curve. It's entirely up to you. There is no bad choice.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Has to be the exact same name too. emoji6.png

It worked, bro you're the best! 😄

26 minutes ago, pixie said:

If you like clickable cockpit and you are willing to learn. Pick whatever plane you like and get to know it inside out. No plane is too difficult, if you decide that's the bird you want to fly.
IMO you don't need a trainer, but you might want to learn on a trainer first because it would replicate a real life learning curve. It's entirely up to you. There is no bad choice.

Yeah, the problem is that I haven't yet decided with which module I want to stick. So I'll have a go with a few community mods, will give me some sort of idea. I am really interested in typhoon, but who knows when it's released...

• Like 1