How do I turn a Mark into a Steerpoint?

PSYKOnz

now this may be a bug or it may be my sheer incomparable stupidity but how do I make a mark into a steerpoint?

I've gone through and managed to make the mark point, I can see the diamond on the ground showing it where it is, all is well

however when I select steerpoint 26 (the mark I dropped) it fires miles off the map, the gps coordinates for the mark are all messed up aswell,

on the hsd I can see a little yellow marker where the mark is, but no steerpoint marker

what am I doing wrong? how do I make a mark point into a steerpoint?

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

Mark Points are Steerpoints as far as the jet is concerned. It sounds like you forgot to cursor-zero your slew deltas.

A track would help.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

1 hour ago, PSYKOnz said:

however when I select steerpoint 26 (the mark I dropped) it fires miles off the map, the gps coordinates for the mark are all messed up aswell,

That's odd. Can you upload a track file of a flight where this happened, so we can take a look?

1 hour ago, PSYKOnz said:

on the hsd I can see a little yellow marker where the mark is, but no steerpoint marker

Unlike other steerpoints, steerpoints 26 to 30 are displayed as yellow markers on the HSD So this is correct.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

While i think of it, is there a way to cut down the tracks? It might be a long one. I was buggering around for a bit trying stuff

what I might do is re make it, I’ll step through the same steps and see what happens, if I can’t recreate the issue I’ll upload todays track. Don’t want to go wasting your time 🙂

47 minutes ago, PSYKOnz said:

I’m using the helmet to make the mark, should I then select the tgp to cz it? What if I’m not carrying the tgp? 

Hi

I also want to know how do you CZ without a TGP?

In case of simple GPS / Unguided bombs in CCRP mode - without need for a TGP. how would you cursor zero (CZ) the mark point for those?

thank you

i7-11800H @ 2.30GH | 16Gb 3200MHz | GeForce RTX 3060 | Samsung 1TB SSD | KINGSTON 520GB SSD

47 minutes ago, PSYKOnz said:

what I might do is re make it, I’ll step through the same steps and see what happens,

I would appreciate that! :thumbup:

40 minutes ago, warford said:

Hi

I also want to know how do you CZ without a TGP?

In case of simple GPS / Unguided bombs in CCRP mode - without need for a TGP. how would you cursor zero (CZ) the mark point for those?

thank you

You use CZ to point the selected Sensor (SOI) back to the Steerpoint, so you can use CZ on your TGP and on your FCR in A/G mode. For CCRP bombing onto a Steerpoint you don't need CZ.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

3 hours ago, QuiGon said:

For CCRP bombing onto a Steerpoint you don't need CZ.

You do if you inadvertently slew the SPI off the steerpoint using the TDC, which is entirely possible. So the best way to CZ in that situation (without a TGP) I’ve found is bring up the AG radar and hit the CZ button in there. That will put it back onto the steerpoint.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

38 minutes ago, Deano87 said:

You do if you inadvertently slew the SPI off the steerpoint using the TDC, which is entirely possible.

Oh, I see.

38 minutes ago, Deano87 said:

So the best way to CZ in that situation I’ve found is bring up the AG radar and hit the CZ button in there. That will put it back onto the steerpoint.

Alternatively you can just cycle the Steerpoint back and forth.

Tornado3 small.jpg

40 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

Alternatively you can just cycle the Steerpoint back and forth.

This doesn't work for the exact reason @Rongor mentions. It just carries the offset over to the next SP.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

23 minutes ago, Deano87 said:

This doesn't work for the exact reason @Rongor mentions. It just carries the offset over to the next SP.

Oh, right :doh:

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think it was missed in this thread, but when you make a Markpoint it becomes a Steerpoint for the the number selected (ex. SP 26) but it does not become your active Steeproint. In order for a SP to be the SOI for the TGP and Weapons it needs to be the active Steerpont.

In the Mark DED screen you can make the current Markpoint the active Steepoint by pressing the ICP button 0 M-SEL, or alternatively, you can back out of the Markpoint DED screen, press ICP button 4 STPT, and then use the arrow keys on the ICP to select the Steerpoint as you active, or enter the SP number directly and press enter.

Then you have your SOI to use the TGP and weapons with.

Edited by 104th_Crunch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The language is a little confusing because in for example A-10C everything is a waypoint and you pick a special waypoint to be your current, singular, special steerpoint (you know, for steering). F-16 is a little different because it kinda calls all points steerpoints even when those points aren't the one, the only, special singular point-for-steering steerpoint. Technically F-16 has something similar with "destinations" which are the points which could become the steerpoint but LIST/1 DEST is still WIP.

When a mark point is recorded in one of the slots and you want to set it up as active, you just change your steerpoint to that numbered slot however you can. There are several ways: inc-dec arrows on any DED page which puts arrows around current steer, going to the STPT page and typing in the number then ENTR, pressing MSEL on the mark page (shortcut to make that particular displayed number active), or selecting a point with the HSD cursor.

Cursor slews are zero'd with the CZ function. DCS Viper is a little confusing because the TGP was developed before the radar so some people think of snowplow and cursor zero as TGP functions. They aren't. "CZ" (and SP) is a whole airplane function which has shortcuts scattered around on various MFD formats. Whenever you see "CZ" or "SP" it's like having multiple copies of the same shortcut on your computer desktop. It doesn't matter which one you use as they're all shortcuts to the same airplane function. The "CZ" shortcut should show up on the FCR (even OFF) and TGP pages. In airplanes newer than the DCS variant they added it to the HSD format too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Frederf said:

The language is a little confusing because in for example A-10C everything is a waypoint and you pick a special waypoint to be your current, singular, special steerpoint (you know, for steering). F-16 is a little different because it kinda calls all points steerpoints even when those points aren't the one, the only, special singular point-for-steering steerpoint. Technically F-16 has something similar with "destinations" which are the points which could become the steerpoint but LIST/1 DEST is still WIP.

Uhm, the A-10C actually differantiates between Steerpoints, Waypoints and Markpoints.

Tornado3 small.jpg

ok so I've done some testing, unfortunately I could not find the track of the flight i was having this issue with (I looked in saved games/tracks folder, is there another location??) however on the 2 test runs I did I was able to get it to work correctly, one with a slick jet and the other with the same load I had yesterday, so I'm not really sure what went wrong

I did have trouble getting to the Helmet mark designation thing when carrying the loadout but once I got it it worked fine, no point uploading the tracks as its all working for me, ill keep running tests and see if i can figure out what went wrong.

Edited by PSYKOnz

9 hours ago, PSYKOnz said:

(I looked in saved games/tracks folder, is there another location??)

For singleplayer you have to manually save them by clicking on the "Save Replay" button on the debriefing screen, after ending the mission. Only multiplayer tracks are saved automatically.

9 hours ago, PSYKOnz said:

I did have trouble getting to the Helmet mark designation thing when carrying the loadout but once I got it it worked fine, no point uploading the tracks as its all working for me, ill keep running tests and see if i can figure out what went wrong.

That's great to hear! :thumbup:
Currently there is one issue though: The yellow markpoint crosses on the HSD drift over time, which is wrong. They do snap back to their original position though if you reenter the MARK page on the DED.

Tornado3 small.jpg

3 hours ago, QuiGon said:

The yellow markpoint crosses on the HSD drift over time, which is wrong.

Huh? That’s weird. What’s causing this and has it been bug reported? 

Proud owner of:

4 hours ago, Deano87 said:

Huh? That’s weird. What’s causing this and has it been bug reported? 

I thought I have seen it mentioned around here, but I can't find it anymore :dunno:

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 minute ago, QuiGon said:

That's it, thanks!
@Deano87

Thanks... weird that I haven't noticed it, presumably I don't look at the HSD much while using mark points lol.

Proud owner of: