OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

IPD of the headset is NOT the same as IPD in DCS

Sure? I thought this is for PD and IPD should always match your eyes IPD. If you are right ED should at least change their naming of those quite important settings to something that's correct. Maybe they also mixed PD and IPD as its often used synonymous as a standard naming for the distance of the pupils (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pupillary_distance).

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

5 minutes ago, tomeye said:

I would remove NIS.

I will remove NIS, as others already suggested but just want to restate that the game was blurry prior to activating NIS.

MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra

CPU: Ryzen 3700X 

RAM: 32GB CL16 3600Mhz 

SSD: SN550 1TB

GPU: MSI RTX 4090 Gaming Trio

yep certain ... headset IPD should match the physical IPD of your eyes.  IPD in DCS is world scale , PD is Pixel Density (super sampling)

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Well, then ED should really change their naming because in this case none of their acronyms really matches the conventional meaning.

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

1 minute ago, schmiefel said:

Well, then ED should really change their naming because in this case none of their acronyms really matches the conventional meaning.

this has been mentioned before...  and yep ... and its still IPD

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

2 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

this has been mentioned before...  and yep ... and its still IPD

What IPD do you have set in DCS? Also, if it's meant to be world scale, does higher IPD mean the world will appear bigger in comparison to you?

23 minutes ago, hallaghan said:

I believe I read somewhere that IPD in DCS is not the same as the IPD on our VR Headsets. For me, my own IPD is 62 but someone suggested I use 65 in DCS as they aren't related. Can't confirm that one myself.

@speed-of-heat When I ran DCS in steamvr, locked at 45fps with my headset in 90hz, I had no blurriness but since so many people suggested that openxr gives better performance, I switched to try it out but noticed it's blurrier than steamvr.

IPD setting in DCS is more a scale size than anything, move it up and down and watch the size of your cockpit increase and decrease. Really not the same as setting IPD in a VR headset for your eye seperation distance.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

58 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

reprojection will help with certain kinds of blurring.  for me if i run below the framerate of the headset, i get a blurring externally (its like double vision on everything on the ground) .. if i turn on reprojection, it synthetically generates every other frame, which does produce its own visual artefacts, you need to find out which approach works best for you natural frame rate (60hz, you could likely run now, 90 hz you will have to turn down some settings) or reprojection/motion smoothing or the approach of running as fast as you can at 90hhz , which for me gives the blurring/double vision

Is it the same as some calls this “ghosting”?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

9 minutes ago, hallaghan said:

What IPD do you have set in DCS? Also, if it's meant to be world scale, does higher IPD mean the world will appear bigger in comparison to you?

its not related to performance, but, which ever looks closer to reality for you ... i leave mine at default, because im quite slim, and when i look down at my legs they are about the same size

4 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Is it the same as some calls this “ghosting”?

with motion smoothing, yes thats ghosting... without motion smoothing... i don't know what the other word is called but it is blurring :)

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Thanks 1

So, I either turned down the frequency down to 72Hz, or I have to lower the setting. Frankly, I find OpenComposite on Pico4 works a bit better than using Oculus runtime. I guess I still have a lot to figure out. Thanks.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Is there any way to apply smoothing to head tracking on vr headsets? With trackir i can adjust smoothing so the head movement is not so jittery.

Reverb G2 tracking feels very jittery compared to headset with beacons or track ir - any way to apply a smoothing filter to the head track axis?

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

9 minutes ago, Grodin said:

Is there any way to apply smoothing to head tracking on vr headsets? With trackir i can adjust smoothing so the head movement is not so jittery.

Reverb G2 tracking feels very jittery compared to headset with beacons or track ir - any way to apply a smoothing filter to the head track axis?

Do you mean the apparent shaking? In OpenXR, you can decrease screen shake. I find for me that something between -25% to -30% works well.

11 hours ago, hallaghan said:

My settings in game are mostly set to high and have 2x MSAA.

Try turning MSAA off. It helps the shimmering but adds to blurriness.

I9-9900KS OC 5.2, Asus Maximus XI Hero, MSI RTX 4090 , EVGA 1200W P2 power supply, 2TB M.2 SSD, 64GB ram@3200mhz, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Samsung Odyssey+, Reverb G2, Quest 3(new)

20 hours ago, hallaghan said:

Do you mean the apparent shaking? In OpenXR, you can decrease screen shake. I find for me that something between -25% to -30% works well.

Yeah the shaking that comes from head tracking - Reverb G2 has quite shaky tracking even in a well lit room because it does not use beacons. Eyes and brains compensate this quite well but its very apparent when looking at a replay that was recorded in VR. I will try that shake reduction setting!

23 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

reprojection will help with certain kinds of blurring.  for me if i run below the framerate of the headset, i get a blurring externally (its like double vision on everything on the ground) .. if i turn on reprojection, it synthetically generates every other frame, which does produce its own visual artefacts, you need to find out which approach works best for you natural frame rate (60hz, you could likely run now, 90 hz you will have to turn down some settings) or reprojection/motion smoothing or the approach of running as fast as you can at 90hhz , which for me gives the blurring/double vision

I get "double vision" either way if i'm flying low and look down at the buildings on the ground - they are moving too fast for my fps i assume. As much as i love the general smoothness with reprojection i find the artifacting absolutely unbearable. Apache rotor also messes up the HMD when reprojection is on. Even when looking around in the menu and mission editor causes the edges to flicker and twist. I also find the image very blurry when reprojection is on, it is very apparent when trying to read text on F18/F16 screens without zooming in.

Edited by Grodin

8 minutes ago, Grodin said:

Yeah the shaking that comes from head tracking - Reverb G2 has quite shaky tracking even in a well lit room because it does not use beacons. Eyes and brains compensate this quite well but its very apparent when looking at a replay that was recorded in VR. I will try that shake reduction setting!

I have always found the head tracking on my Reverb G1 to be as smooth as other headsets I have had using lighthouse tracking. The issues arise when either the PC performance drops to a level it can't seem to keep up or hardware issues (I needed a replacement cable due to tracking issues). By default the G2 pushes the PC harder (higher resolution due to the change in lenses). I don't think there is a fundamental issue with Reverb tracking due to using inside out tracking.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I've never experienced shaky tracking with my G2 and I use it in dim red light.  You can use the openxr tookit to apply shaking smoothing but the only time I would want to use it would be for scanning for targets using the HMD and shvkal in the KA50.  Note that enabling the shaking smoothing will cause significant reprojection artifacts if you have it on.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

53 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

I have always found the head tracking on my Reverb G1 to be as smooth as other headsets I have had using lighthouse tracking. The issues arise when either the PC performance drops to a level it can't seem to keep up or hardware issues (I needed a replacement cable due to tracking issues). By default the G2 pushes the PC harder (higher resolution due to the change in lenses). I don't think there is a fundamental issue with Reverb tracking due to using inside out tracking.

45 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I've never experienced shaky tracking with my G2 and I use it in dim red light.  You can use the openxr tookit to apply shaking smoothing but the only time I would want to use it would be for scanning for targets using the HMD and shvkal in the KA50.  Note that enabling the shaking smoothing will cause significant reprojection artifacts if you have it on.

Interesting, i might have an issue with my headset in this case. Would you mind uploading a trackfile where you look around a bit and then hold your head still so i could compare it to my track files - i still have the original cable on my G2 maybe that could cause it.

With trackir my recordings look smooth, like Wags videos on youtube. But when i do a track with my G2 it shakes like i was having a seizure or something.

Edited by Grodin

I believe that you're right with the brain and eyes making some compensation and that if you record the output it will be shaky without the smoothing filter; trackir will have the filter applied to it.  I think you'll see the same with any headset if no filtering is applied.  As I said with the filtering disabled the KA50 shkval movement is fast and jittery when slaved to the helmet mounted sight, add the motion filter and it's much smoother.

Can't record a track as I'm at work though, I would bet that you get the same result - I don't think it's a specific issue to the G2 though 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

In my experience with the G2 the jittery tracking is just my heartbeat and breath, is just that without visor our brain is able to stabilize the image, while in VR this ability is lost, the main problem is that mouse cursor movemet is linked solidly to head movement. some slack would make this jittering unnoniceable... is there a way to free mouse position from headset?

12 minutes ago, Comante said:

In my experience with the G2 the jittery tracking is just my heartbeat and breath, is just that without visor our brain is able to stabilize the image, while in VR this ability is lost, the main problem is that mouse cursor movemet is linked solidly to head movement. some slack would make this jittering unnoniceable... is there a way to free mouse position from headset?

It has been asked for some time....

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

See my mouse cursor is pretty stable when it's slaved to the headset, perhaps it's a physiological thing?

On 1/18/2023 at 1:30 PM, edmuss said:

I believe that you're right with the brain and eyes making some compensation and that if you record the output it will be shaky without the smoothing filter; trackir will have the filter applied to it.  I think you'll see the same with any headset if no filtering is applied.  As I said with the filtering disabled the KA50 shkval movement is fast and jittery when slaved to the helmet mounted sight, add the motion filter and it's much smoother.

Can't record a track as I'm at work though, I would bet that you get the same result - I don't think it's a specific issue to the G2 though 🙂

I tried the openxr shake reduction, worked perfectly, at 30% its almost as smooth as my trackir!

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark