OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

1 minute ago, Hammer1-1 said:

You shouldnt be usign SteamVR with OpenXR anyways, thats kind of the point...

I’m not, where did I say that I was? I didn’t even think that was possible? 

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

54 minutes ago, obious said:

(either for OXR or SVR) and have my SteamVR res. set to 100% (native for my G1) and OpenXr res set to 50%. 

Or did I extrapolate something I shouldnt have? And yes its very much possible if you didnt do something right...

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

1 minute ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Or did I extrapolate something I shouldnt have? And yes its very much possible if you didnt do something right...

Yea, I meant when they’re running separately 

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Then its possible you have some other background task taking frames from your computer. I have a bunch of task items I kill after boot up..the biggest fps killer would be LED lighting software. Ever thought about using process lasso?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

38 minutes ago, obious said:

As far I can work out, the information presented is just a bunch of numbers (ie GPU: XXXXX, CPU: YYYYY) and I have no idea how to interpret them. 

Regarding running OpenXR at 50%, if I run it at 100% my system isn’t able to support 90fps so I’ve always assumed that 50% OpenXR res is equivalent to 100% SteamVR (any idea how to get OpenXR to display actually resolution numbers instead of percentage? Also, how did you determine what’s the default res for your card/headset?

Ah gotcha 🙂
It's pretty simple really, enable the openxr for WMR performance overlay, this is the one with the coloured box - green for above refresh, blue for reprojecting and red for below refresh/not reprojecting.

Essentially appCPU/appGPU are the times taken by the VR compositor to render the framebuffers, postCPU/postGPU are the times taken to carry out any post processing etc. (this includes the overhead for repojection).  The Hz is obviously the output FPS.

Remember that roughly 11ms = 90fps, 16ms = 60fps, 22ms = 45fps, 33ms = 30fps.  To hit a refresh rate target add appGPU to appGPU and the result needs to be below your target.

Worked example (not factoring in CPU): -

Running the headset at 90Hz with reprojection on, you're tuning to hit the 45Hz render bracket (the best you'll get with reprojection).  You're pulling 15ms appGPU and 3.5ms postGPU, therefore you have 18.5ms total GPU time.  Your refresh rate target is 45Hz which is 22ms so you have approximately 3.5ms overhead GPU available before you start stepping down to the next refresh rate bracket.  Note that appGPU doesn't include driver overheads which could be 1ms or so, as such it's best to give yourself a little extra headroom; with that said 45Hz vs 30Hz is pretty much indistinguishable so don't get hung on the 45Hz target - the jump from 22ms to 33ms is massive.  If you miss the 30Hz refresh bracket then is will reproject at 22Hz, it's still smooth but get REALLY artifacty - unsuprising as 75% of the frames are synthetic and guessed!

Openxr for WMR recommends a resolution based upon your VRAM capacity, the three back buffers with MSAAx4 applied should take up no more than 10% of available memory, for my 8GB 3070 this was 2480, the 12GB 3080ti is a touch over 3000 (can't recall off hand what it is).  If you don't override the resolution on the openxr tools desktop app it will apply the calculation above, you can see the current resolution of the compositor on the second tab of the desktop app.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

8 minutes ago, Phantom711 said:

I have OXR installed for a few weeks now.
Question regarding that latest runtime:

Does it update to that automatically or do I have to do something?

It will eventually auto update but you can force it by starting the MS app store, searching for openxr for WMR and hitting the update button.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Ive been having an issue with the latest runtime  with MR, not so much with the numbers but just the overall performance in the solid picture flow and it just turns to a rainy window looking effect even at a solid 45 fps. I disabled the latest runtime and it’s just more solid and doesn’t breakup even when I’m looking at my bandit in a bfm situation. Sorry I’m not good at explaining all this but my rig doesn’t like the new change. I’ve been following the msfs forum to research this weird effect with 112. and it seems people are having issues also and I’m in that club. I just don’t have the time or know how to figure out  what the hell happen. 

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I know it's probably been said before but you do have movement damping on the inputs tab in openxr toolkit set to zero don't you?

@edmuss - I have anti shake on 0, if that’s the same thing. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Yup that's the one, what pre-rendered vr frames do you have in Nvidia control panel?

@edmuss I have it on 1 

Start Date April 2020 

Hmmm, same settings as mine in that respect.

As an outside chance, try resetting the openxr runtimes to WMR; it's a trick that worked for me in the past and also a couple of other people reported it helping. It shouldn't do anything though!

Have a trawl through the steamvr settings and in there somewhere (possibly developer/advanced settings) is an option to set steam as the current openxr runtime. Click that and close steamvr, then return to WMRP and it should display a banner at the top warning that WMR is not the current openxr runtime, there should be a button saying "Fix It".

As above it shouldn't do anything but it has made a difference for me in the past. Worth a try🙂

• Thanks 1

Rgrt ! I’ll be able to test that this evening. I appreciate it 👍🏻

Start Date April 2020 

On 9/9/2022 at 6:55 PM, Burt said:

Ive been having an issue with the latest runtime  with MR, not so much with the numbers but just the overall performance in the solid picture flow and it just turns to a rainy window looking effect even at a solid 45 fps. I disabled the latest runtime and it’s just more solid and doesn’t breakup even when I’m looking at my bandit in a bfm situation. Sorry I’m not good at explaining all this but my rig doesn’t like the new change. I’ve been following the msfs forum to research this weird effect with 112. and it seems people are having issues also and I’m in that club. I just don’t have the time or know how to figure out  what the hell happen. 

Hey!

Can you follow these steps to capture a trace of the problem (start capturing, reproduce the issue in-game - I only need like a minute of data showing the problem - then save the trace and ZIP it up).

https://github.com/microsoft/OpenXR-MixedReality/wiki/Troubleshooting-for-developers#capture-a-diagnostics-trace-from-the-command-line

The file will be big, we can organize you sharing it with me through DM.

Thanks.

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

@mbucchia - yes sir I think can do that. 

Thanks !

Start Date April 2020 

2 hours ago, Burt said:

@mbucchia - yes sir I think can do that. 

Thanks !

Just so when you can't find the .etl trace file like I couldn't, use windows search to look in the windows\system32 folder, it should be in there 🙂

• Thanks 1

I'm getting this error when I try to start DCS:

image.png

I'm running OpenComposite as an administrator, and I've given it full control in the security tab in properties. Does anyone know what would be causing this? Fully willing to accept that I've done something dumb with the install, but I did do a fresh install of Windows and DCS and followed the instructions as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Edited by czarinabox

Where is the open composite being run from?  I think if it's in the program files folder then windows might prevent write access.  I run it from a seperate HDD that I use for storage.

2 hours ago, edmuss said:

Where is the open composite being run from?  I think if it's in the program files folder then windows might prevent write access.  I run it from a seperate HDD that I use for storage.

I ended up just doing a fresh reinstall of everything again, and this time I've got OpenComposite in a separate folder. I did have it in program files before, so that was probably the issue. I've still been unable to get it working. Everything works fine with SteamVR, but when I switch to OpenComposite DCS just loads on the desktop not in VR and nothing shows up in the App Configuration page. I've checked all my settings and done a repair/cleaning of DCS, but I can't seem to get any apps to show on that App Configuration page. 

You've not got DCS installed in program files have you?

You can simply copy and paste it out to the root of C:\

Edited by edmuss

Tried running it not as admin?

So does DCS not show up in the switcher app at all? What headset are you using?

4 hours ago, czarinabox said:

Nope, I've got both installed in a separate folder that is in the root of C:\

Maybe try some folder/app exclusions if you're using Windows Defender (Windows Security).

Screenshot 2022-08-28 153926.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark