OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

12 minutes ago, Wali763 said:

Not sure though, if ED are willing to promote a mod.

Well technically openxr isn't a mod any more as you need to make zero changes to the DCS install, infact ED have actively made it so by removing the d3dcompiler from the bin directory.

I would say that they're onboard with the usage of it although I would guess native implementation isn't likely with the current engine. I dare say that the new engine build will incorporate openxr natively 🙂

Note that this is only my opinion and has no actually basis of fact as to which direction ED are going with the future vr engine 😁

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:03 AM, M1Combat said:

I assume you're calling frame rate "performance"???

Try to just get a sense for which one is smoother.  

OXR will almost always be smoother than SteamVR even at a slightly lower frame rate.  The only reason you really want Framerate is for a numerical smoothness confirmation...  The REAL thing you need is smoothness.  OXR is almost always smoother.

OXR with no reprojection is absolutely not smoother than SteamVR with reprojection, at least for my setup.
If OXR's reprojection didn't create horrible tearing then I'd use OXR. Without reprojection it's a no from me.

35 minutes ago, itsthatguy said:

OXR with no reprojection is absolutely not smoother than SteamVR with reprojection, at least for my setup.
If OXR's reprojection didn't create horrible tearing then I'd use OXR. Without reprojection it's a no from me.

Steam VR did a really good job with their Motion Smoothing. I wish Varjo would just implement that for the Aero.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

17 hours ago, itsthatguy said:

It is on my system.  100%

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

2 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

It is on my system.  100%

Same.

And I just checked 👍

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

3 hours ago, Sr. said:

Same.

And I just checked 👍

You're cheating, you're at 60Hz and above refresh rate most of the time aren't you? 😁

Can't get smoother than refresh rate.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

I'm back at 90hz with reprojection, after my flirtation with 60hz, and it works pretty well.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

I'm back at 90hz with reprojection, after my flirtation with 60hz, and it works pretty well.

Yeah me too. I’m gonna try turning on hags and see how it works now. It’s been disabled for quit some times now.

”Disregard”

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

Yeah, the reprojection on the latest runtime seems solid, still gets ugly at 22fps though 😄

Now to wait for the head positioning code to get as good as steamvr and artifacts begone! 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edmuss said:

You're cheating, you're at 60Hz and above refresh rate most of the time aren't you? 😁

Can't get smoother than refresh rate.

Yep. Though I did also compare SVR at 60Hz. More noticeable flicker in SVR. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

26 minutes ago, Roller25 said:

Anyone using reprojection with an AMD card? My image is quite wobbly...

I've been looking at improving the quality of motion reprojection with AMD cards, but it's a dead end it looks like.

The video encoder block (needed to compute motion vectors, an essential component of motion reprojection) on AMD cards is just far inferior to the competition.

On 5000 series, it does not support 16x16 optimal block sizes (which requires us to downsample the input), creating a big loss of quality leading to "warping effects". On 6000 series, I have measured it to be 3 times slower than on Nvidia RTX cards, barely able to drive 90 Hz reprojection, causing added latency contributing to the "water effect".

I've been looking for alternatives to accelerate and improve the motion estimation and even asked AMD developers on the AMF project (their video SDK). They told me what I need is just not supported.

I've mostly run out of things to try for AMD. Nvidia on the other end, has delivered great innovation through their NVENC and NVOF...

Edited by mbucchia
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

7 hours ago, Sr. said:

Yep. Though I did also compare SVR at 60Hz. More noticeable flicker in SVR. 

Interesting.

Is that due to the sunglasses filter or is it worse when without the filter?

23 minutes ago, Roller25 said:

Anyone using reprojection with an AMD card? My image is quite wobbly...

Check that you have movement damping (I think it is) set to zero on the inputs tab, there's a known bug that causes it to interfere with reprojection.

27 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

I've been looking at improving the quality of motion reprojection with AMD cards, but it's a dead end it looks like.

The video encoder block (needed to compute motion vectors, an essential component of motion reprojection) on AMD cards is just far inferior to the competition.

On 5000 series, it does not support 16x16 optimal block sizes (which requires us to downsample the input), creating a big loss of quality leading to "warping effects". On 6000 series, I have measured it to be 3 times slower than on Nvidia RTX cards, barely able to drive 90 Hz reprojection, causing added latency contributing to the "water effect".

I've been looking for alternatives to accelerate and improve the motion estimation and even asked AMD developers on the AMF project (their video SDK). They told me what I need is just not supported.

I've mostly run out of things to try for AMD. Nvidia on the other end, has delivered great innovation through their NVENC and NVOF...

So... buy a Nvidia card then.. got it! 😂 

28 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Check that you have movement damping (I think it is) set to zero on the inputs tab, there's a known bug that causes it to interfere with reprojection.

Will give that a try. I'm set at -40 at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Roller25 said:

Will give that a try. I'm set at -40 at the moment.

I suspect that's the problem 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, edmuss said:

Interesting.

Is that due to the sunglasses filter or is it worse when without the filter?

Could be.

--Arthur C Clark

On a slightly different but related note, I’m struggling to determine if OpenXR is having any benefit for my system (I wonder if it benefits non high-end systems more).

Without having a fpsVR equivalent for OpenXR, I’m finding it difficult to judge if there is much of a performance increase. I’m not using motion repo at all (either for OXR or SVR) and have my SteamVR res. set to 100% (native for my G1) and OpenXr res set to 50%. 

I must admit is quite discomforting not knowing where my system is in terms of resource utilisation when using OpenXR and not being able to tune settings according to how much available headroom I have. The only thing I’ve seen to far is that not running SteamVR saves about .8gb in RAM, thats about it (I must admit though, having a loading screen not flashing in front of my eyes is such a welcome relief though). 

I know there are arguments to be made of ‘put the FPS counter down and just enjoy the view’, thats true to an extent but I need a baseline to start from otherwise I have no idea if I’m utilising my system as much as possible! 

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

27 minutes ago, obious said:

On a slightly different but related note, I’m struggling to determine if OpenXR is having any benefit for my system (I wonder if it benefits non high-end systems more).

Without having a fpsVR equivalent for OpenXR, I’m finding it difficult to judge if there is much of a performance increase. I’m not using motion repo at all (either for OXR or SVR) and have my SteamVR res. set to 100% (native for my G1) and OpenXr res set to 50%. 

I must admit is quite discomforting not knowing where my system is in terms of resource utilisation when using OpenXR and not being able to tune settings according to how much available headroom I have. The only thing I’ve seen to far is that not running SteamVR saves about .8gb in RAM, thats about it (I must admit though, having a loading screen not flashing in front of my eyes is such a welcome relief though). 

I know there are arguments to be made of ‘put the FPS counter down and just enjoy the view’, thats true to an extent but I need a baseline to start from otherwise I have no idea if I’m utilising my system as much as possible! 

The lower vram usage will help lesser GPU's somewhat more, but the big thing about openxr is the clarity gained by not needing to copy the framebuffers from api to api before spitting it out to the headset and the smoothness granted because it effectively works in the opposite way to steamvr.  To the best of my knowledge, if you've missed refresh rate target (90Hz) then even though the GPU is supplying the frames faster than 45Hz, it holds the frame until the 45Hz tick is reached and the positional data is fed into the compositor; in simple terms it's only actually rendering at 45Hz but because the headset positional data is synced up it feels much smoother.

The openxr performance overlays give you more granular information than fpsvr so you can read exactly where your bottlenecks are, have you not turned them on?
Why run openxr at 50% when you're running steamvr at 100%? (it's better to state resolutions as it gives a defined value rather than a potentially arbitrary one).

For reference I am currently running default recommended openxr resolution (calculated to around 3050 for 12GB I think), high DCS settings pretty much throughout and with reprojection it sits at 45Hz for the large part over Caucasus and Syria, it drops down to 30Hz over large cities like Beirut.  I do have to wind the settings back to keep it high enough on Marianas but that's a given for any hardware pretty much.

Since the recent runtime update the stability of reprojection is much better, still artifacting more than steamvr but until the code can (hopefully) be ironed out just take the rough with the (exceptionally) smooth 🙂

Edited by edmuss

7 minutes ago, edmuss said:

The openxr performance overlays give you more granular information than fpsvr so you can read exactly where your bottlenecks are, have you not turned them on?
Why run openxr at 50% when you're running steamvr at 100%? (it's better to state resolutions as it gives a defined value rather than a potentially arbitrary one).

For reference I am currently running default recommended openxr resolution (calculated to around 3050 for 12GB I think)

As far I can work out, the information presented is just a bunch of numbers (ie GPU: XXXXX, CPU: YYYYY) and I have no idea how to interpret them. 

Regarding running OpenXR at 50%, if I run it at 100% my system isn’t able to support 90fps so I’ve always assumed that 50% OpenXR res is equivalent to 100% SteamVR (any idea how to get OpenXR to display actually resolution numbers instead of percentage? Also, how did you determine what’s the default res for your card/headset?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

You shouldnt be usign SteamVR with OpenXR anyways, thats kind of the point...switching from steamvr saved me almost 6gb in vram and I can promise you it was very much noticeable on my computer.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins