OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

Loving the project cause vr improvements are a must.

Tried it. At 100% resolution and no reprojection/motion smoothing, im having jittery visuals when moving my head arround the cockpit.

Unfortunately not seeing any improvements.

At the moment nothing yet beats my 60% steamvr resolution with 2x msaa. Yes, not the same clearity as 100%. But looks good and no jittery movements.

Will do some more testing with openxr using reprojection to see what that does.

Edited by RvL
  • Like 2

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

4 minutes ago, RvL said:

Loving the project cause vr improvements are a must.

Tried it. At 100% resolution and no reprojection/motion smoothing, im having jittery visuals when moving my head arround the cockpit.

Unfortunately not seeing any improvements.

At the moment nothing yet beats my 60% steamvr resolution with 2x msaa. Yes, not the same clearity as 100%. But looks good and no jittery movements.

Will do some more testing with openxr using reprojection to see what that does.

There is currently a potential bug in the OXR reprojection so if you get an unstable image with it on then it's not working correctly; it's currently being looked into to see if a cause can be identified.

Reprojection always on and unlocked with 100% resolution works nicely with my 3070.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

9 minutes ago, edmuss said:

That's not my screenshot 😉

🙂 🙂

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I repaired DCS 100%, and still have no mask on the mirror. I think this mod somehow deletes the VR mask for DCS.

Not sure where this mask is defined but i guess its somewhere in SavedGames/DCS settings which isnt repaired.

Screen_220325_214635.png

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

Hi everybody! I've been testing OpenXR today and I wanted to share my results.

With an 1080ti I'm managing to get my Reverb G2 to work at its native resolution with having an average of 50 to 70fps and a really smooth tracking response, with some occasional stutters, specially on flyby views or when the terrain is moving fast. In order to have the same smoothness with SteamVR I have to lower a lot the resolution and to enable motion reprojection, so a big improvement for me.

Which I'm not able to get to work properly is OpenXR's motion reprojection. I wanted to activate it to see If that helps to smooth the stutters, but in my case, setting it to "always on" makes my framerate to go down to 20-30fps, completely killing the smoothness.

I did what @edmuss sugested to try to fix it, but it doesn't work in my case. Is anyone else getting this behaviour?

Edited by cSonora
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, edmuss said:

There is currently a potential bug in the OXR reprojection so if you get an unstable image with it on then it's not working correctly; it's currently being looked into to see if a cause can be identified.

Reprojection always on and unlocked with 100% resolution works nicely with my 3070.

I had the bubbly image and applied your fix (thanks!) of switching OpenXR runtime and the weird jelly like image disappeared but I still get some wobbly images through the blades and general stutters compared with SteamVR. Not tried with OpenXT toolkit running , will try that next!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Did you do the fix before or after you took the screenshot?

For those who have bubbly reprojection, can you try running the demo from the OXR Dev toolkit?

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

1 hour ago, Baldrick33 said:

Using the Apache there is a lot of weirdness looking through the blades (I am not talking the really weird bubble effect) plus there seemed some stepping of the scenery looking to the side compared with running reprojection with SteamVR.

Yep. I try to ignore it until someone puts out a "VR friendly" rotor patch like the Huey.

edit: I hate the file merge feature

Just FYI: I have successfully used Simplex and DCS VR Shaders mod 2.7.11.21408.1 with OpenXR

Haven't done any measurable testing but they do load.

As well as these others.

Screenshot 2022-03-25 160741.jpg

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

The bubbly reprojection is a weird one, there doesn't seem to be a specific cause but it has cleared up on mine. It's certainly more apparent on the menus, this is due to the lack of a depth buffer but is give in the cockpit.

However, the more people who have the issue and report it to the devs, the more likely will get a resolution or workaround.

My OXR reprojection is working as well as WMR4SVR ever did except with the facility of lower frametime locks.

Previously I would run 60hz and be locked to 30fps most of the time, now I run 90hz and I'm locked to 45fps most of the time with occasional dips into 30fps when needed.

It reminds me of the Vive motion smoothing. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

Dumb question :

Question is, must I install the open composite 6.0 to all the pc first or, only installing "open-composite-acc-v0.6.2" via OvGME is enough?

Question two, How must I launch DCS?, Must I add some line to the shorcut or just launch DCS?

I have a Reverb G2

Thanks in advance for all your explanations and patience of all people here

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

Just now, firefox121 said:

Dumb question :

Question is, must I install the open composite 6.0 to all the pc first or, only installing "open-composite-acc-v0.6.2" via OvGME is enough?

Question two, How must I launch DCS?, Must I add some line to the shorcut or just launch DCS?

I have a Reverb G2

Thanks in advance for all your explanations and patience of all people here

You may need to add this to the DCS shortcut properties.

YOUR INSTALL PATH....."Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR

one space after the .exe"

--Arthur C Clark

19 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Yep. I try to ignore it until someone puts out a "VR friendly" rotor patch like the Huey.

agreed, would be nice.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

16 minutes ago, Sr. said:
19 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

I had the bubbly image and applied your fix (thanks!) of switching OpenXR runtime and the weird jelly like image disappeared but I still get some wobbly images through the blades and general stutters compared with SteamVR. Not tried with OpenXT toolkit running , will try that next!

Latest update. Having installed the OpenXR Toolkit and simply opened the FPS overlay the stuttering seems to have gone and running at 30fps seems quite acceptable. I will take @Sr.advice and ignore the blades for now! I am not sure if adding the toolkit has fixed it but I am seeing the smoothness others have described for the first time!

• Like 2

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

That's awesome, there will still be some ghosting but hopefully the bubbles have gone 🙂

@Baldrick33can you provide another screenshot like before, now that you've switched the runtimes?

hace 16 minutos, Sr. dijo:

You may need to add this to the DCS shortcut properties.

YOUR INSTALL PATH....."Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR

one space after the .exe"

Thanks, That's for the second question.

What about the first question? 

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

4 minutes ago, edmuss said:

@Baldrick33can you provide another screenshot like before, now that you've switched the runtimes?

It is the same.

To recap (this thread moves fast!)

I installed OpenXR to DCS
Without reprojection it was stuttering below 90fps (i.e. all the time)
Reprojection Always On - bubble screen - unplayable
Applied your method of switching OpenXR runtimes to SteamVR and back again to WMR
Reprojection Always On - much better but still screen wobbles through blades and some stutters - performs worse then SteamVR
Installed OpenXR toolkit
Took screen shot you asked for
Ran DCS and opened OpenXR toolkit overlay and selected FPS
Reprojection Always On - still the blades issue but now the stutters have gone, nice and smooth with the benefit of reprojection at 30fps if it drops below 45fps.

• Like 1

Hello,

I created an experimental version of my mod compatible with this OpenXR feature :

There is a new option to remove the AH64 flashing rotor blade...

Edited by lefuneste01
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

9 minutes ago, winghunter said:

could you post an image of your desktop dcs mirror ? thx

dcs mirror.png

32 minutes ago, firefox121 said:

Thanks, That's for the second question.

What about the first question? 

I installed using the OvGME method

--Arthur C Clark

25 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

It is the same.

Applied your method of switching OpenXR runtimes to SteamVR and back again to WMR
Reprojection Always On - much better but still screen wobbles through blades and some stutters - performs worse then SteamVR
Installed OpenXR toolkit
Reprojection Always On - still the blades issue but now the stutters have gone, nice and smooth with the benefit of reprojection at 30fps if it drops below 45fps.

Thank you for this. The friendly folks at Microsoft are reverse engineering SVR to see what is happening behind the scenes 

We might be really close to a solution here!

25 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

It is the same.

Installed OpenXR toolkit

So long story short, you've smoothed it out just by displaying the fps counter from the overlay?

--Arthur C Clark

hello,

I did not achieve to have reprojection...I tried all the options in dev toolkit and also the menu in OpenXR Toolkit but I remains with fps ~40-50 in quick mission DCS A10CII, with no distorsion but stuttering when moving my head (so no reproj.).

No mod used.

Did I miss something ? 60hz used for display.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste