OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

There seems to be a bug in my pc with Opencomposite and OpenXR Motion reprojection, where activating Motion Reprojection prevents 'Create fast mission' missions from being created. As soon as the loading bar for creating the mission appears (after I've chosen the parameters like the plane type, time etc), the game gets stuck on that frame and only solution is to restart the game. Multiplayer and Instant Action seem to work fine. 

13 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

hello,

I did not achieve to have reprojection...I tried all the options in dev toolkit and also the menu in OpenXR Toolkit but I remains with fps ~40-50 in quick mission DCS A10CII, with no distorsion but stuttering when moving my head (so no reproj.).

No mod used.

Did I miss something ? 60hz used for display.

Nobody to help ?

I tried to setup stemVR ad OpenXR and then fixed it in WMR, same issue :

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

OpenComposite_DCS_20220326_123905.jpg

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

1 hour ago, cSonora said:

More of my testing insights, just in case this is useful for anyone.

I've been testing which are the results of changing the resolution scale in the OpenXR Tools for Windows panel VS doing it in the OpenComposite's ini file, using the supersampleRatio option. I'm getting like 10fps more by adjusting the scale via OpenComposite and letting the custom scaling disabled in OpenXR Tools. 

Regarding the motion reprojection issue, definitely in my case is due to that enabling it causes my FPS to take a considerable hit. So with MR disabled I get 50 to 70 FPS on F18 free flight over caucasus, but with it enabled it can't surpass the 30 FPS (unless I'm looking at the sky), hence I'm getting 30hz reprojected to 90hz, wich I think it what makes this MR looks worse than SteamVR's MR, wich always managed to give 45hz reprojected to 90hz.

The benefits alone of being able to increase the resolution so much with OpenXR make me stick with it, if just this little MR issue could be solved to achive smooth reprojection would make this the definitive VR API to use in DCS IMHO. 

PD: Getting rid of SteamVR's spamming flashing screens during loading times is a god sent gift also 🤣 

By not having the box ticked OpenXR dynamically changes your resolution based on a MSAAx4 10% calculation of the VRAM

Don’t ask why or what that formula actually is as this is all I know

According to @edmussthat resolution is around 60-70% for a 8GB 3070

Edited by nikoel

@lefuneste01Have you tried setting reprojection to Always On in the OpenXR WMR Toolkit? Auto doesn't work as far as I know.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, cSonora said:

I've been testing which are the results of changing the resolution scale in the OpenXR Tools for Windows panel VS doing it in the OpenComposite's ini file, using the supersampleRatio option. I'm getting like 10fps more by adjusting the scale via OpenComposite and letting the custom scaling disabled in OpenXR Tools. 

@cSonoraCan you explain what exactly you changed in OpenComposite.ini? I'm not seeing any 'SupersampleRatio' option.

5 minutes ago, Hadeda said:

@cSonoraCan you explain what exactly you changed in OpenComposite.ini? I'm not seeing any 'SupersampleRatio' option.

It’s for you to add if you chose so

supersampleRatio - float, default 1.0. The supersample ratio in use - this is similar to what you would enter into SteamVR, a value of 145% in SteamVR is a value of 1.45 here. A value of 80%in SteamVR is 0.8 here, and so on. Higher numbers improve graphics, at a major performance cost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nikoel said:

It’s for you to add if you chose so

supersampleRatio - float, default 1.0. The supersample ratio in use - this is similar to what you would enter into SteamVR, a value of 145% in SteamVR is a value of 1.45 here. A value of 80%in SteamVR is 0.8 here, and so on. Higher numbers improve graphics, at a major performance cost.

I tried with the custom resolution set off and on in OpenXR WMR toolkit but whatever I changed it to in opencomposite.ini in the DCS bin folder seemed to have no effect.

I tried supersampleRatio=0.5 and supersampleRatio=1.4 with no apparent change in DCS.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I'm testing Quest 2 and OpenXR and so far I can say it works. It produces a smoother feeling and gives better clarity as I can use full resolution without the need of upscaling technics. 

Bare in mind my system is a gaming laptop with i7 9750 32 gb RAM and RTX2060.

I saw above an option in toolkit "Lock motion reprojection" Is that only visible to G2 users? Cause I don't see it in mine

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

I also saw little to no change with either the OpenXR WMR Toolkit nor directly entering values manually in the ini file.  I have not attempted a number greater than 1.0 though.

Also noticed that I'm definitely seeing some changes between all of the Motion Reprojection settings.  Disabled leaves me with a stuttery mess, Always On is unusable to me because I get lots of weird artifacts that I can only describe as feeling like I'm looking through a block of jelly, and Automatic is nigh on perfect in terms of smoothness and clarity.

21 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

I tried with the custom resolution set off and on in OpenXR WMR toolkit but whatever I changed it to in opencomposite.ini in the DCS bin folder seemed to have no effect.

I tried supersampleRatio=0.5 and supersampleRatio=1.4 with no apparent change in DCS.

Yes. This is expected behaviour since unticking the OpenXR box will then provide you with dynamic resolution see my other response above 

B14BD3D5-688F-48D5-8955-12C43525A8F0.png

Edited by nikoel

Ok, so I'll chime in here with my $.02 after initally struggling. Perhaps others have pointed this out but this thread has exploded and I'm struggling to keep up with all the replies. Installing the OpenXR Toolkit (companian app) is an absolute most (for me anyway) as it allows me to lock my frames to 45fps. Before when I was playing around I didn't have it installed and wasn't able to do this and kept getting a horrible jittery mess. Note that I am also forcing motion repro to 'always on' and have changed my native scaling to 60% but after doing all this, I was able to max out a lot of the slides (inc. 'ultimate' clouds and 2x MSAA).

One thing I'd note has others have mentioned already, OXR motion repro is far behind the curve when compared to StreamVR's implementation; there are a lot of artifacts etc that StreamVR handles better in this dept.

Overall its probably a net positive experice but until they sort out the motion repro, I think I'll go back to StreamVR and take the hit on being able to bath in sweet glorious visual fidelity in favour of running at 90fps

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

31 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

24 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Yes. This is expected behaviour since unticking the OpenXR box will then provide you with dynamic resolution see my other response above 

Yes but I tried with it both ticked (@100%) and unticked with 0.5 and 1.4 in the ini file and saw no difference (nor fps difference)

4 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Yes but I tried with it both ticked (@100%) and unticked with 0.5 and 1.4 in the ini file and saw no difference (nor fps difference)

Hmmm… let me see what I did when I played around with resolution and get back to you

1 hour ago, Baldrick33 said:

@lefuneste01Have you tried setting reprojection to Always On in the OpenXR WMR Toolkit? Auto doesn't work as far as I know.

You are right. "Always on" is working. But then you are not able to use a mode without reprojection, and I can achieve 60 fps in 50% of my DCS play time...

@edmuss : using SVR and the option "steamVR per app settings" in MWR settings app+ fpsVR, I am able to toggle in game "reprojection forced off" or "reprojection forced on". If we could have a keybind to do the same (not needing to go through the  OpenXR toolkit menu) I think it may be a good workaround for the reprojection "auto" not working.

There is an issue for OpenXR  mod when my mod install the file d3dcompiler_46.dll in the same dir than the file D3DCompiler_47.dll used by opencomposite ACC. There is a workaround by using dll injector and so not putting my mod in same place than openComposite ACC, but could it be possible to have it using D3DCompiler_47.dll whatever other option of the dll in the same dir ? It will make things easier for compatibility.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

4 hours ago, TED said:

This is definitely working great for me. Only thing is does anyone know how to get rid of the little red box in the tip of my view that is showing a small overlay of performance. Basically it shows red if at 45fps and green at 90. Nice to know but I can’t hide it for some reason. 

Hey TED a quick question. I saw you participated in the Apache VR Slideshow Bug thread. Are the findings [posts] with OpenXR or SteamVR?

Whilst the performance is smooth for me I was shocked to see 30FPS and on the ground at Syria 18FPS before picking back up to 45 once in the hover/forward flight 

I suspect we are cpu limited but wanted to see if you had success with other settings?

Edited by nikoel

Just did some tests and as expected it's pretty useless, at least for me. The only positive thing it does is disabling steamvr, apart of it everything else is either the same or worse. Artefacts with motion reprojection enabled are terrible, especially in Apache. IHADSS text and lines are all over the place when the rotor disc is in view. Reprojection can either be forced on or off, automatic does not work.

By default OpenXR renders an image in 30hz and reprojects it to 90hz. That's why some people here claim it's smoother than steamVR where threshold is 45hz. Because openxr renders one frame and extrapolates 2 new frames (in comparison steamvr extrapolates only 1 new frame) we have more artefacts. 

I am back to steamvr but thanks for trying.

Edited by Marklar
  • Like 1

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

4 minutes ago, Marklar said:

Just did some tests and as expected it's pretty useless, at least for me. The only positive thing it does is disabling steamvr, apart of it everything else is either the same or worse. Artefacts with motion reprojection enabled are terrible, especially in Apache. IHADSS text and lines are all over the place when the rotor disc is in view. Reprojection can either be forced on or off, automatic does not work.

By default OpenXR renders an image in 30hz and reprojects it to 90hz. That's why some people here claim it's smoother than steamVR where threshold is 45hz. Because openxr renders one frame and extrapolates 2 new frames (in comparison steamvr extrapolates only 1 new frame) we have more artefacts. 

I am back to steamvr but thanks for trying.

The apache does not work well (or at all) with reprojection as I found out. All other modules are going really well. Also with 45 FPS. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

What other modules? Those without rotor or propeller discs in view? Apache works well with reprojection in steamvr.

Edited by Marklar

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

What's different to FFR that we had before? 🙂

For reference those getting confused by auto reprojection, that's a setting for app based configuration. Always on is analogous to WMR4SVR auto where it will step from 90/45/30/22.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, Marklar said:

What other modules? Those without rotor or propeller discs in view? Apache works well with reprojection in steamvr.

Yes, A10c, F18, F16, UH-1 and HIP. But apparently, the apache didn't work well with repro on steamvr either. I was seeing some good frames at the beginning but the the whole stuff decreased. I had to alt-tab out of the game to get it fixed only for a couple of minutes before it started again. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

Well, I am one of those who likes to experiment and do all kinds of tests in pursuit of an fps improvement. In this case I can say that with an i9 9900k 32 ram dd4 3200 and 3090, it works worse than with steamvr. Ultimately we need to use reprojection and it works better with steamvr than with openxr. For now I'm still with steamvr

1 minute ago, pastranario3 said:

Well, I am one of those who likes to experiment and do all kinds of tests in pursuit of an fps improvement. In this case I can say that with an i9 9900k 32 ram dd4 3200 and 3090, it works worse than with steamvr. Ultimately we need to use reprojection and it works better with steamvr than with openxr. For now I'm still with steamvr

Did you try the stuff with WMR4SVR mentioned a few pages ago? That did the trick for me and besides the apache, reprojection is working flawlessly, even when down to 30FPS without any difference to 45FPS. 

2 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

Unfortunatley the classic Scaling via the 'Developer Settings' Tab is working wonderfully for me (I don't have or use the supersampling inside the ini file) Here are two screenshots of the game running at 100 and then 200 percent

How about you dial it up to 300% and see what happens

200.png

Screenshot 2022-03-27 012312.png

2 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Unfortunatley the classic Scaling via the 'Developer Settings' Tab is working wonderfully for me (I don't have or use the supersampling inside the ini file) Here are two screenshots of the game running at 100 and then 200 percent

How about you dial it up to 300% and see what happens

Via the Developers Settings tab, I have mine set at 120%.   Loving how the graphics look.  Working for me.  Later today, I'll try higher settings.  (for M$F$, I've been using 120-150 just fine, so why not try higher with DCS...)   🙂

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control