OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

That should be an incompatible d3dcompiler.dll, delete it from the DCS\Bin folder and it should work 🙂

9 minutes ago, krazyj said:

Then I got this error 

dcs error2.png

Just now, fastf1nger said:

Anybody else is unable to start DCS in VR since the last open beta update?

It woked perfectly until yesterday, after todays update.... nothing 😞

Did you delete the d3dcompiler after the update?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

vor 31 Minuten schrieb edmuss:

That should be an incompatible d3dcompiler.dll, delete it from the DCS\Bin folder and it should work 🙂

Did you delete the d3dcompiler after the update?

I renamed it. Did a clean install......100% followed the instructions from the 1st post.

As i said, until yesterday everything worked perfectly, but not after todays update...

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

1 hour ago, krazyj said:

Im getting this error and I cant for the love of me get it to work despite following the guide, any aid would be appreciated

Thanks

dcs error.png

Open your opencomposite.ini file and comment out the following using a semi-colon ;

mirrorMode-disabled being "line 2" in your error.

Capture.JPG

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

45 minutes ago, fastf1nger said:

I renamed it. Did a clean install......100% followed the instructions from the 1st post.

As i said, until yesterday everything worked perfectly, but not after todays update...

41 minutes ago, krazyj said:

also renamed the D3D file but will try to delete

Yeah, I found the same problem with renaming it.  Something copied the incorrect version back into the bin folder after renaming.  Delete it and you should be good 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Hi.

One question:

Im running stableDCS (openBeta still on TrackIR) without MR and fps capped to 46 (with RadeonChill) and find it very ok. Not really smooth, but more than just bearable. The most stutter I encounter in the main-menu moving my head from side to side. Anyway, with these settings VR is quite enjoyable. When turning off RadeionChill my fps go up considerabley, usually 60+ in not too demanding areas and also 80 looking to the sky.

But then I tried again turning MR on (in OpenXR DevTools; I dont use the toolkit) and my fps went down to ~30! And also still have those unwanted "waterdropeffects" quite often.

Is MR oveloading my CPU, since if the GPU in most situations can render 45+fps why shouldnt it also witlh MR on? But I have a 5600x, which always seemed potent. Under SteamVR fpsVR always showed CPU-framtimes of 10ms or the likes. 

Anyone got the same problems with MR or has a solution for this?

Oh, one more question:

I dont have HAGS in my graphic settings so I can tell, if this setting might mess things up; but when I still had it, I for sure turned it off. Using Win10.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb edmuss:

Yeah, I found the same problem with renaming it.  Something copied the incorrect version back into the bin folder after renaming.  Delete it and you should be good 🙂

@edmuss unfortunately this didn´t help 😞

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)

Do the manual OpenComposite install...  requires copying a .dll into the dcs folder.  Destructions are on the Open Composite link.  Scroll down a bit.

As much as I love Edmuss and Nikoel...  They clearly have IT Support Fatigue :).

I don't blame them honestly...  they have indeed answered the same question 47 times...  per day...  

BUT...  That still doesn't mean that every issue is a user created install error 🙂

There does seem to be a bug right now where the OC install doesn't quite work right sometimes.  Mine works at the moment after doing the manual OC install...  so I don't care what the bug is or how to fix it on that end...  but it does seem to exist.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

8 hours ago, nikoel said:

ED do not develop the necksaver app. Its made by a dev on the Il2 Forums who was kind enough in the way he coded it that it worked with DCS as well. And yes he has actually said that

At the moment it doesn't. I see it as a feature as I am now a much better pilot for it - physical pain of having to 180' like an owl is a great motivator not to suck. However some people have physical constraints and see it as a must have app. Each to their own

I mean if ED said they were gonna have an OpenXr as well steamVr option. And yes I know necksaver doesn't work in OpenXR. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

vor 56 Minuten schrieb M1Combat:

Do the manual OpenComposite install...  requires copying a .dll into the dcs folder.  Destructions are on the Open Composite link.  Scroll down a bit.

As much as I love Edmuss and Nikoel...  They clearly have IT Support Fatigue :).

I don't blame them honestly...  they have indeed answered the same question 47 times...  per day...  

BUT...  That still doesn't mean that every issue is a user created install error 🙂

There does seem to be a bug right now where the OC install doesn't quite work right sometimes.  Mine works at the moment after doing the manual OC install...  so I don't care what the bug is or how to fix it on that end...  but it does seem to exist.

@M1Combat Thanks a million times.....solved my problem and worked for me aswell 😉
Maybe it helps others with the same problem!

How do I revert this? Just uninstal Open composite and OpenXR? I get worse performance in game (menu's are beter) while using OpenXR with the same graphical settings, going from smooth in vanilla DCS to a slideshow after (exactly) following the first post.

Ryzen5 3600X // RTX2060super // 32GB DDR4

Thrustmaster T16000M // Oculus Rift S

they should NOT let me fly, no joke :smartass:

31 minutes ago, Rons91 said:

How do I revert this? Just uninstal Open composite and OpenXR? I get worse performance in game (menu's are beter) while using OpenXR with the same graphical settings, going from smooth in vanilla DCS to a slideshow after (exactly) following the first post.

That is very rare.  I would indeed start with a fresh install and give it a shot.  If you can get the benefits of OXR like the vast majority of folks have it's VERY worth the trouble.  If you need to go back though just reverse each step.  I do suspect you likely have a mod or remnants of a mod of some sort clogging something up.  With a 3800x and a 2080(non-Ti) I get 50-60FPS with some options not all the way down on a G2 at 100% res...  AND...  If I crank all the options up it's smooth and playable all the way down to 30FPS.

I actually do get very slightly more FPS with SteamVR...  but it's just not as SMOOTH.  It's very usable so...  go back if you must...  but OXR when working right is smoother and has better visuals...  let alone the visual tuning you can do with colors etc.  You can really make it look super nice.

Also...

There SEEMS to be a bug in the OC install right now...  A few people have needed to do the manual OC install.  the instructions are on the page linked to in the Open Composite install step.  Scroll down a bit and there's a dll you can download (64bit) and copy to the DCS folder.  

Again...  Do as you wish but OXR IMO is worth it when it works right...  And FYI it's worked right almost 100% of the time for me...

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Don't really know if the FPS went up, but the game now always starts stuttering after a couple of minutes playing, and glancing left or right now is horrible (i can see everything double while moving my line of sight fast). Before installing OXR I've never had that problem.

As you say, I read most people do get better performance with OXR, so must be something on my end I suppose.

I don't got any mods installed apart from kneeboards, those should be fine right?

I wouldn't assume.  Actually I think that's maybe one of the things I've heard it doesn't like...  but there may be a new one or a new version of what you have that may work better.

I would 100% start with a clean DCS.  No uninstall/reinstall but do a full cleanup like is stated in the first post...

"to a slideshow after (exactly) following the first post."

1) Clean/Repair DCS and start with a clean baseline and resolution settings.

This means PD must be set 1.0 and no funny business inside the DCS folder
I would encourage you to backup the 'Saved Games' DCS folder and delete it as well. Only after everything launches at the end bring all your other files back in.
Use the skatezilla utility above. (No really! I know I've reapeated this for 7th time, but this thread would be a fraction as big if everyone did the above ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻ )

image.png

19 minutes ago, KevyKevTPA said:

What are the symptoms if you fail to delete that file?  I don't think I'm having problems, I'm just curious...

The install I suggested doesn't have anything to do with deleting a file.

5 hours ago, KevyKevTPA said:

What are the symptoms if you fail to delete that file?  I don't think I'm having problems, I'm just curious...

If you fail to delete the dll, it crashes hard.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

So i did clean DCS before trying the first time, then i got horrible performance. As i say, i followed every step in the first post.

I just want to revert to how it was, since i had pretty smooth gameplay for hours.

48 minutes ago, horstweihrauch said:

Isn’t switching to Steamvr with this small composite helper enough? 

I concur. The only clickable massive button inside the OpenComposite App titled 'Switch to SteamVR' is one way to Switch back to SteamVR

Edited by nikoel
  • Thanks 1

G2 owner here and done all the steps but now DCS won't launch in VR mode, and the Mixed Reality Portal no longer starts automatically. I can see that the box is ticked, in the DCS options menu, but it's always in desktop mode.

Anyone else with the same problem?

I should say that I'd previously followed this guide around April, but did not install OpenComposite. I don't think it was mentioned there or I missed it, but did replace a few dll's in the bin folder and added the opencomposite.ini file. SteamVr was still launched but I did notice the sim was a lot smoother with a slightly better image clarity.

NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Driver version 512.95

2 hours ago, GusPT said:

G2 owner here and done all the steps but now DCS won't launch in VR mode, and the Mixed Reality Portal no longer starts automatically. I can see that the box is ticked, in the DCS options menu, but it's always in desktop mode.

Anyone else with the same problem?

I should say that I'd previously followed this guide around April, but did not install OpenComposite. I don't think it was mentioned there or I missed it, but did replace a few dll's in the bin folder and added the opencomposite.ini file. SteamVr was still launched but I did notice the sim was a lot smoother with a slightly better image clarity.

NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Driver version 512.95

So first up yes you did install OpenComposite - you used the old method and then somehow you also used SteamVR on top. Anyway, the old method is no longer supported by the devs but still technically works

When DCS updates it cleans your install. It's likely it has cleaned whatever files you had in your install (whichever way you have installed it)

Follow the guide to get it reinstalled or use the deprecated files and the old method from memory as I have deleted those instructions

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

I should say this: if you got something to work, and it gave you a great leap in performance, dont bother with it until it stops working. I went from OpenOVR to OpenXR and it gave me nothing but problems so I went back to OpenOVR. Im going to continue using it until it no longer works in DCS and honestly I dont know why it keeps getting updated unless it just brings functionality to other games. Updating gave me nothing but problems.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

4 hours ago, nikoel said:

So first up yes you did install OpenComposite - you used the old method and then somehow you also used SteamVR on top. Anyway, the old method is no longer supported by the devs but still technically works

When DCS updates it cleans your install. It's likely it has cleaned whatever files you had in your install (whichever way you have installed it)

Follow the guide to get it reinstalled or use the deprecated files and the old method from memory as I have deleted those instructions

I just did every step of the guide including clean/repair dcs with no luck. Shouldn't Mixed reality portal open up automatically when starting DCS?

I'm also leaving opencomposite (and it show DCS using opencomposite) and openxr toolkit open while running DCS.