OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

I do not use steam vr just dcs OB via oculus however launching via skatezilla has worked for me. I forget the post i read but once you tell it where your dcs is and check steam vr instead of oculus then openxr works. Still messing with settings but noticed a major improvement to fps hope all works for you too

I do  not understand and do not want to read 47 pages.  I do not use Steam VR.  I use the Quest2 software.  Can I still use this app?

I do  not understand and do not want to read 47 pages.  I do not use Steam VR.  I use the Quest2 software.  Can I still use this app?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

7 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

Yes is the easy answer just follow what i did in previous post

44 minutes ago, Nighthawk 117 said:

As your using quest you dont use WMR at all so no need to worry about it

Cheers, brother, but for Quest2 users we still run the Quest software>?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Since the last OB update this doesnt work for me (used to before and was smooth- very happy).

Now in MP it gives me unplayable 15 FPS or less with massive screen lags.

I reverted back to SteamVR and MP is smooth again solid 45fps at vhigh settings.

Tried bak to open XR and same- fps tanks.

Went back to SteamVR and works fine.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, mtd2811 said:

Since the last OB update this doesnt work for me (used to before and was smooth- very happy).

Now in MP it gives me unplayable 15 FPS or less with massive screen lags.

I reverted back to SteamVR and MP is smooth again solid 45fps at vhigh settings.

Tried bak to open XR and same- fps tanks.

Went back to SteamVR and works fine.

Any ideas?

did you back out the mod before the OB update?  It'll clobber files.  If so, then probably do this:

- back out any existing mods

- do a repair of DCS

- remove the fxo and metashader2 sub-dir's (in your c:/user/account_name/saved games/dcs openbeta.....)

- re-install the OpenXR and Toolkit per the instructions (to the letter).

- try again...

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

It does indeed still work fine with OB 2.7.11.22211.  I always revert my install to a stock / unmodified state before an update and then clear the shaders just to be sure.  

In an earlier post, I mentioned I started getting random crashes on a couple of video driver related DLL's.  Turns out that I had FSR turned on for the sharpening.  It really doesn't seem to like having FSR turned on.

So, I'm using the 3DMigoto latest version for the sharpening only and OpenXR for everything else and the performance is still just as good.  Both mods work together just fine.

The current release has a version specifically for OpenXR.

3Dmigoto VR enhancer (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

• Thanks 1

did you back out the mod before the OB update?  It'll clobber files.  If so, then probably do this:
- back out any existing mods
- do a repair of DCS
- remove the fxo and metashader2 sub-dir's (in your c:/user/account_name/saved games/dcs openbeta.....)
- re-install the OpenXR and Toolkit per the instructions (to the letter).
- try again...

Thanks

I should have mentioned i had done all these but the result was fps tanking

There shouldn't be any, I'd check that you have PD set to 1.0 in DCS first.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

hi all,

i install openxr and it works perfectly, after dcs update when i look on mirror in mig-21 big black box come in front of it. i try to reinstall the opex xr and still got the problem. it only happening in mp.

anyone help plz

thx

Edited by KONGMAN

Intel 11900K, 64GB 3600 Mhz G-Skill, Nvidia 3080, Virpil WarBRD, Virpil Constellation ALPHA, Virpil MT- 50CM3, Logitech/Saitek Flight switch panel, Logitech Rudder

With OpenXR, the Toolkit, and now that "better 3D" tweak, DCS VR is just awesome.  I'm having a blast with the Apache, and cannot believe how good things look and run.  Really, really awesome stuff!

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

@nikoelThank you very much for this guide! 
The OVGME version didn´t work for me (SteamVR was still starting up) so I tried the manual version. SteamVR didn´t start anymore and at first it seemed like it would work properly since the mirror on my screen showed the hangar, menu, movement etc. but the VR screens inside the headset remained dark.

The solution is simple but doesn´t really make much sense for an average PC guy like me. Even though I followed your guide closely and cleaned and repaired everything with the DCS Updater Utility I had to completely delete the "options.lua" file within the saved games > DCS.openbeta > Config folder. Before doing so I ran the game without VR and made screenshots of all my settings. After deleting it, DCS on start up then asks to login (my data was still filled in) and creates a new file. Now it worked. I applied all the same settings I had before and expected it to stop working again followed by a long search for what setting would cause it but instead it just kept working fine. 
I hope this helps and thanks again! Huge FPS gain for me (1080ti).

Best regards 

TAW_Mago

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 11:15 AM, Nightstorm said:

So, I'm using the 3DMigoto latest version for the sharpening only and OpenXR for everything else and the performance is still just as good.  Both mods work together just fine.

The current release has a version specifically for OpenXR.

3Dmigoto VR enhancer (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

I've been- and would like to continue for now - installing my mods manually. I'm a little confused on how to install this. There is a troubleshooting PDF that has a screenshot of the files and folders that need to be in the DCS bin folder, but there's more files that come with the app than what is actually present in the PDF's example screenshot. (example is the nvapi64 dll) Does the 3Dmigotoloader exe act as the installer or does that exe launch the app each time we want to use it? Let's start there - maybe that's what I'm missing. 

I'd really like to use this to reduce the haze - as I just feel I'm flying around in a blurry murk.

Also - since the move to OpenXR my G2 right hand controller has been acting odd. It still works but it keeps intermittently vibrating - in a twitching type of manner. It still works (I use the hand controllers in the cockpit over the mouse as I found it worked pretty well with SVR)

I got to thinking that there were settings in WMR4SVR related to the controllers that we no longer access outside anything SVR related. 

Edited by Felix 100

System: 11600k@5.0ghz, Nvidia 3090 FE, 64gb@3200 DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series Black ,Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Master, Corsair 1000watt Platinum PSU, DCS installed on independent M.2 1TB SSD in PCIE 4.0 slot, Arctic LF II  360 AIO cooler, Phanteks 500A Case, Thrustmaster Warthog w Cougar MFDs, Reverb G2, 49" Samsung Ultrawide w TrackIR, Obutto Ozone on custom rolling base.  

Just bing key "VR recenter" (UI Layout, or General keybindings) and just recenter position to your normal. I ussualy turn on DCS lookin on my 2d screen, when googles laying on desk. If they went sleep I use Win+Y to wake them up. If mouse is"dead" in center of 3d view just press WIN key to popup MenuStart and move cursor (In DCS first use Alt+Tab and next WIN key, cause LWIN as moddider will not popup StartMenu if DCS is focused).

Last tip as cherry on cake I will gave u VRAM saver tip: im using thiss small bunker for last couple months and with OpenXR Companion, 3Dmigoto VR enhancer and DeepOfField from Nvidia Inspector is MUST->HAVE

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

1 hour ago, Felix 100 said:

I've been- and would like to continue for now - installing my mods manually. I'm a little confused on how to install this. There is a troubleshooting PDF that has a screenshot of the files and folders that need to be in the DCS bin folder, but there's more files that come with the app than what is actually present in the PDF's example screenshot. (example is the nvapi64 dll) Does the 3Dmigotoloader exe act as the installer or does that exe launch the app each time we want to use it? Let's start there - maybe that's what I'm missing. 

I'd really like to use this to reduce the haze - as I just feel I'm flying around in a blurry murk.

Also - since the move to OpenXR my G2 right hand controller has been acting odd. It still works but it keeps intermittently vibrating - in a twitching type of manner. It still works (I use the hand controllers in the cockpit over the mouse as I found it worked pretty well with SVR)

I got to thinking that there were settings in WMR4SVR related to the controllers that we no longer access outside anything SVR related. 

The OpenXR mod contains a folder with two files in it and three other files that go in the BIN folder under DCS.

OBS pugin (Folder, I presume it's a misspelling of PLUGIN but that's the way it is) in that folder there are:

win-ocd3d.dll

win-ocd3d.pdb

And then the three files are:

D3DComiler_47.dll dated 6/5/21

opencomposite.ini

openvr_api.dll dated 3/31/22.

The two I specified the date stamp are files that replace original versions in DCS.  So, if the date doesn't match, they're not the versions from OpenXR mod.

And then, the 3DMigoto mod is in its own folder under BIN.  It's not directly related to the OpenXR mod, but the last version includes a compatible version.

It has these files:

image.png

NOTE:  I renamed the 3DMigoto loader.exe file to just Loader.exe.  It doesn't matter what it's called.

You need to run the Loader.exe before you start DCS.  It'll open a window that looks like this:

image.png

Then just open WMR portal and start DCS in VR mode.  As soon as DCS is running that window will have a line that it found the DCS.exe process and close.  Once in DCS you can confirm that 3DMigoto is running by using SHF F7 to bring up it's menu.

The OpenXR version requires that it be run in a separate folder from BIN and because of that, the loader needs to be run.  There was a compatibility issue with the D3DComiler_47.dll used by OpenXR and this resolved it.  One extra step, but minor.

2 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

The OpenXR mod contains a folder with two files in it and three other files that go in the BIN folder under DCS.

OBS pugin (Folder, I presume it's a misspelling of PLUGIN but that's the way it is) in that folder there are:

win-ocd3d.dll

win-ocd3d.pdb

And then the three files are:

D3DComiler_47.dll dated 6/5/21

opencomposite.ini

openvr_api.dll dated 3/31/22.

The two I specified the date stamp are files that replace original versions in DCS.  So, if the date doesn't match, they're not the versions from OpenXR mod.

Ok - so in the install guide for OXR in post 1 it mentions the 3 files but not the OBS pugin folder. I think it specifically says something like 'the files NOT the folder'.

2)    Download latest release (not source files) of OpenComposite here: https://gitlab.com/Jabbah/open-composite-acc/-/releases -
extract the following to the bin folder of your DCS installation
openvr_api, opencomposite, D3DCompiler_47 (the files – NOT folders)

I didn't put the OBS pugin folder into Bin - and it's been working. (well maybe partially?) I see that OBS folder in the download but I didn't do anything with it! That might be some good info, as I'm starting to get the sense that certain things just aren't having any effect - like the slider in the OpenXR DT or NIS scaling - specifically sharpness.  I got the 3Dmigoto working thanks to your help!

I've noticed that OpenXR for me with MR enabled and locked in the OXRTK at 45 has given me the smoothest experience I've had - but I feel like no matter what I do with the OXRDT resolution or NIS scaling or sharpness - nothing changes. The VR world for me has gone back to a murky unfocused haze. The Hornet MFD's and cockpit aren't as crisp and regardless of 100% or 150% on slider, I didn't see much change.

Edited by Felix 100

System: 11600k@5.0ghz, Nvidia 3090 FE, 64gb@3200 DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series Black ,Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Master, Corsair 1000watt Platinum PSU, DCS installed on independent M.2 1TB SSD in PCIE 4.0 slot, Arctic LF II  360 AIO cooler, Phanteks 500A Case, Thrustmaster Warthog w Cougar MFDs, Reverb G2, 49" Samsung Ultrawide w TrackIR, Obutto Ozone on custom rolling base.  

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Felix 100:

Ok - so in the install guide for OXR in post 1 it mentions the 3 files but not the OBS pugin folder. I think it specifically says something like 'the files NOT the folder'.

2)    Download latest release (not source files) of OpenComposite here: https://gitlab.com/Jabbah/open-composite-acc/-/releases -
extract the following to the bin folder of your DCS installation
openvr_api, opencomposite, D3DCompiler_47 (the files – NOT folders)

I didn't put the OBS pugin folder into Bin - and it's been working. (well maybe partially?) I see that OBS folder in the download but I didn't do anything with it! That might be some good info, as I'm starting to get the sense that certain things just aren't having any effect - like the slider in the OpenXR DT or NIS scaling - specifically sharpness.  I'll look at the 3DMigoto stuff now in depth.

I've noticed that OpenXR for me with MR enabled and locked in the OXRTK at 45 has given me the smoothest experience I've had - but I feel like no matter what I do with the OXRDT resolution or NIS scaling or sharpness - nothing changes. The VR world for me has gone back to a murky unfocused haze. The Hornet MFD's and cockpit aren't as crisp and regardless of 100% or 150% on slider, I didn't see much change.

OBS is for streamers, i think.

I'd love to be able to fly without MR. The Clarity without MR is great. MR makes everything very blurry.
But I can't fly without MR. Even with a framerate above 70 - 90 fps. Or locked to 45 fps with RTSS. I still see ghosting, especially when manouvering very fast - motions are not as smooth.

What saved it for me is using 3Dmigoto to regain sharpness.

Edited by Sile

4 hours ago, TylerPL666 said:

Just bing key "VR recenter" (UI Layout, or General keybindings) and just recenter position to your normal. I ussualy turn on DCS lookin on my 2d screen, when googles laying on desk. If they went sleep I use Win+Y to wake them up. If mouse is"dead" in center of 3d view just press WIN key to popup MenuStart and move cursor (In DCS first use Alt+Tab and next WIN key, cause LWIN as moddider will not popup StartMenu if DCS is focused).

Last tip as cherry on cake I will gave u VRAM saver tip: im using thiss small bunker for last couple months and with OpenXR Companion, 3Dmigoto VR enhancer and DeepOfField from Nvidia Inspector is MUST->HAVE

why not just use the included "infinite space" home that has been there since Novembers WMR release?  and what is "DeepOfField"?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

11 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

why not just use the included "infinite space" home that has been there since Novembers WMR release?  and what is "DeepOfField"?

You might want to check it out

Subtle but worth it, in my opinion.