OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

29 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

It as simple as copying the 3 files mentioned below:

Download latest release (not source files) of OpenComposite here: https://gitlab.com/Jabbah/open-composite-acc/-/releases -
extract the following to the bin folder of your DCS installation
openvr_api, opencomposite, D3DCompiler_47 (the files – NOT folders)

and then  launch DCS through Skatezilla's app with SteamVR api instead of Oculus.

OpenXR toolkit is optional:

Download this: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

Install and launch (I have ticked the experimental settings)

Launch DCS then CTRL+F2 (or whatever keystroke you've setup inside the toolkit - it will only be visible inside VR. If the menu is too large go to the right most tab and adjust the offset)

I can't use skatezilla because I have the steam version of DCS. He states that it wont work on his page. I even tried it but was having issues.

I did the mod install. I'm talking about the OPENXR software. Once Oculus is connected, and I can see it in the openxrtool app then. I use the demo to see if it's connected but I don't get the options in the HMD. 

I'll give skakezillas launch a go but do I need to set Steamvr as the openxr launcher then?

From skatezillas post right above the download link 

Application Goal is to Provide a GUI for Users as an Alternative to Complex Command Prompt Command Lines.

(Note: this utility is for the Eagle Dynamics' Distribution of DCS World, It will not function w/ the Steam Distribution)

Edited by HoBGoBLiNzx3

12 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

I can't use skatezilla because I have the steam version of DCS. He states that it wont work on his page. I even tried it but was having issues.

I did the mod install. I'm talking about the OPENXR software. Once Oculus is connected, and I can see it in the openxrtool app then. I use the demo to see if it's connected but I don't get the options in the HMD. 

I'll give skakezillas launch a go but do I need to set Steamvr as the openxr launcher then?

Why not just switch to standalone then? Especially if you are trying to ditch Steam VR.  IIRC your licenses will transfer. Steam Transfers now available via DCS Account Profile :: DCS World Steam Edition General Discussions (steamcommunity.com)

I believe I was able to transfer when I switched from Steam to Standalone and got the extra benefit of a "new player" 50% discount when you load the standalone for the first time. 

Edited by DirtyMike0330

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

11 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

From skatezillas post right above the download link 

Application Goal is to Provide a GUI for Users as an Alternative to Complex Command Prompt Command Lines.

(Note: this utility is for the Eagle Dynamics' Distribution of DCS World, It will not function w/ the Steam Distribution)

Unfortunately I can't provide directions for Steam installation as I use the standalone version.

OpenXR toolkit works in my case only when SteamVR api is used. I don't know how Steam works with DCS and api.

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

3 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

Unfortunately I can't provide directions for Steam installation as I use the standalone version.

OpenXR toolkit works in my case only when SteamVR api is used. I don't know how Steam works with DCS and api.

It just launch it in stand alone mode, and oculus opens it. Steam is just where I bought and downloaded it. I'm gonna switch the license now, I wasn't able to before. 

7 minutes ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

Why not just switch to standalone then? Especially if you are trying to ditch Steam VR.  IIRC your licenses will transfer. Steam Transfers now available via DCS Account Profile :: DCS World Steam Edition General Discussions (steamcommunity.com)

I believe I was able to transfer when I switched from Steam to Standalone and got the extra benefit of a "new player" 50% discount when you load the standalone for the first time. 

I had no idea they allowed that now. I tried when I fight bought it cause I wanted to try modules but it wouldn't allow me. Thanks for that info. Do I need to reinstall the entire game or?

1 minute ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

It just launch it in stand alone mode, and oculus opens it. Steam is just where I bought and downloaded it. I'm gonna switch the license now, I wasn't able to before. 

I had no idea they allowed that now. I tried when I fight bought it cause I wanted to try modules but it wouldn't allow me. Thanks for that info. Do I need to reinstall the entire game or?

Correct, you would have to download the standalone installer from DCS World Updates (digitalcombatsimulator.com) and it is a whole separate thing from your steam install. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR KEY BINDINGS 😄 

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

1 minute ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

Correct, you would have to download the standalone installer from DCS World Updates (digitalcombatsimulator.com) and it is a whole separate thing from your steam install. MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR KEY BINDINGS 😄 

Hahah I'm way ahead of you.. I literally just reinstalled 250gb of DCS yesterday.... I got dem back up's man! 

• Like 1

So, I got every installed, followed the exact instructions both the way the OP put it (which wont work because WMR wont pick up my headset and I knew it wouldn't) If I emulate it, it closes Oculus software. So I did it the way the poster above me mentioned. Not working, should I go into steamvr and turn on steamvr as openxr? Or start steamvr in oculus headset, and then play DCS though there? I mean, I've tried setting the api between wmr and steam and launching but then nothing is connected to the headset. none of this really matters. I just need to know, which application runs what.. I can launch DCS 3 different ways right now with DCS updater... I can also launch just the steamvr or oculus app.. or i can launch through a VR preset..  I really don't wanna be a nusience but can't for the life of me figure this out. 

4 hours ago, diamond26 said:

I have steamvr connected, do you just hit launch (with a vr preset) or hit the VR ON launch, or do you launch steamvr from the vr launcher option (all within dcs updater) and how did you get your menu working? Mine wont work, but I probably haven't loaded right

this is why a step by step for quest 2 users would be nice, like an actual step by step.. because in DCS launcher alone there are a lot of things to set up and ways to launch, etc. 

Edited by HoBGoBLiNzx3

Thanks for the help everyone ! i got it to work

4 hours ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

So, I got every installed, followed the exact instructions both the way the OP put it (which wont work because WMR wont pick up my headset and I knew it wouldn't) If I emulate it, it closes Oculus software. So I did it the way the poster above me mentioned. Not working, should I go into steamvr and turn on steamvr as openxr? Or start steamvr in oculus headset, and then play DCS though there? I mean, I've tried setting the api between wmr and steam and launching but then nothing is connected to the headset. none of this really matters. I just need to know, which application runs what.. I can launch DCS 3 different ways right now with DCS updater... I can also launch just the steamvr or oculus app.. or i can launch through a VR preset..  I really don't wanna be a nusience but can't for the life of me figure this out. 

I have steamvr connected, do you just hit launch (with a vr preset) or hit the VR ON launch, or do you launch steamvr from the vr launcher option (all within dcs updater) and how did you get your menu working? Mine wont work, but I probably haven't loaded right

this is why a step by step for quest 2 users would be nice, like an actual step by step.. because in DCS launcher alone there are a lot of things to set up and ways to launch, etc. 

Here are two things i did that made it work for me :

1) I searched about setting the oculus runtime to be openvr after what was said on this topic, and i found this https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018555179-How-to-install-OpenXR-

I followed the "Oculus headsets" category and only did the first part (went into regedit, set the path like on the picture below):image.png

2) Then i launched DCS Launcher by Skate Zilla, went into "app.settings" and then set the launcher as indicated in the download page of the launcher. After finishing setting it up, i chose "SteamVR API" as the "Rendering Driver". Then i downloaded SteamVR.

After those steps, i launched DCS by pressing VR ON  

image.png

And it works perfectly now (i can toggle the menu by pressing ctrl+f2), SteamVR doesn't launch however, which isn't a bad thing i guess as long as it works !

my best guess? instead of using microsoft store app, just go to the microsoft store website and see if you can try downloading from your web browser. heres the link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/openxr-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality/9n5cvvl23qbt#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

1 hour ago, Hammer1-1 said:

my best guess? instead of using microsoft store app, just go to the microsoft store website and see if you can try downloading from your web browser. heres the link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/openxr-tools-for-windows-mixed-reality/9n5cvvl23qbt#activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I ran into issues with microsoft store too, but it was me not actually reading what I was downloading and thinking I had an outdated version (this was a few days ago) and there are powershell commands to clear out and reset microsoft store, even delete it, and reinstall it but I wouldn't advise the ladder it gave me issues with other microsoft apps, etc.

First try-

How to Reset Microsoft Store App in Windows 10
  • Open Settings.
  • Go to Apps -> Apps & features.
  • On the right side, look for Microsoft Store and click it.
  • The advanced options link will appear. Click it.
  • On the next page, click on the Reset button to reset Microsoft Store to default settings.

Step 2 if 1st doesn't do the trick (I wont post 3rd step because I'm advising against it but that is the full reinstall of MS store)

https://winbuzzer.com/2021/02/05/how-to-clear-and-reset-the-microsoft-store-cache-in-windows-10-xcxwbt/

-For those who are trying to get the Openxr Tools.. There is an actual microsoft openxr app you need to install if it isn't already installed from windows store, this however is NOT searchable, as it should be installed via windows update. However for what ever reason if you delete it like I did, thinking it was an older version of the tools this is how you get it.

Open Microsoft store, go to library on the bottom left, scroll down until you see "OPENXR FOR WINDOWS REALITY" that is the actual openxr software. Install that (you can't access it, or change any settings you just install it and then leave it)

Then in the search bar search "OPENXR TOOLS FOR WINDOWS MIXED REALITY" - this is the tools application you see everyone posting and controls the first app. So I would install them in order. If you delete the first one to do it in order, just find it again in the Library and follow the steps.

I'll find the link. Thanks for spending the time to do that. I did the above following, I haven't messed with the settings.ini for the launcher. Would you mind posting yours, if not for me. For others. It's funny cause I found that same thing last night, and ran it, but I didn't get the option to pull up ctrl+f2 so I figured I wasn't launching into openxr. I will repeat your process but I already did the regedit. It's installed in the default directory so I didn't have to change anything, but the settings.ini might be where the magic happens.

Thanks again! 

Edited by HoBGoBLiNzx3

Can anyone paste me the DCS command launcher option to prevent steam vr from starting DCS? thanks! at the moment I have to uninstall it other wise it will always open

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

3 hours ago, Reax178 said:

Thanks for the help everyone ! i got it to work

Here are two things i did that made it work for me :

1) I searched about setting the oculus runtime to be openvr after what was said on this topic, and i found this https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018555179-How-to-install-OpenXR-

I followed the "Oculus headsets" category and only did the first part (went into regedit, set the path like on the picture below):image.png

2) Then i launched DCS Launcher by Skate Zilla, went into "app.settings" and then set the launcher as indicated in the download page of the launcher. After finishing setting it up, i chose "SteamVR API" as the "Rendering Driver". Then i downloaded SteamVR.

After those steps, i launched DCS by pressing VR ON  

image.png

And it works perfectly now (i can toggle the menu by pressing ctrl+f2), SteamVR doesn't launch however, which isn't a bad thing i guess as long as it works !

Posted a response above, but was wondering which OPENXR api have you it set to run? You have to run it thought Oculus app right? So you go into the oculus app and select run as openxr.... ? There are 3 settings, these are the ones I'm really interested in. (under OpenXR - what is the runtime set as (it will say steamvr, oculusvr, or wmr)

second, Do I need WMR for steamvr downloaded on steam?

It seems the way it would work would be DCS>OCULUS API CALL> STEAMVR LOADS APP > DCS UPDATER

This is my thought process on how the actual path to the game works.. If it is different PLEASE let me know, and anything that might be involved in those 4 segments. I've gotten most of them dialed.. Still not sure iike Reax178 what steamvr is actually doing, as it just loads straight into the headset like a normal launch.. So I wonder HOW it is calling WMR OPEN TOOLS XR but that falls somewhere under the STEAMVR LOAD APP section. lol.

I'd start with clouds, shadows and water either off or low. Msaa off. 

One player suggested backing off on textures. I'd try low terrain textures and dial down detail factors. Try to keep cockpit textures high if you can.  

You'll probably have to undersample. Either using resolution setting in oxr toolkit or preferably by using FSR or nis through the companion app.  I'd try 77%.  Don't mess with pixel density, keep that at 1.0

Tune from there

Let us know what you come up with

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

1 minute ago, DeltaMike said:

I'd start with clouds, shadows and water either off or low. Msaa off. 

One player suggested backing off on textures. I'd try low terrain textures and dial down detail factors. Try to keep cockpit textures high if you can.  

You'll probably have to undersample. Either using resolution setting in oxr toolkit or preferably by using FSR or nis through the companion app.  I'd try 77%

Tune from there

Let us know what you come up with

I can't use FSR or anything in the tool kit. It crashes my game.

That's why i have to find something else to do.

I can actually run very high settings with steam vr. Clouds ultra. Shadows high. 2x MSAA

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

18 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

What were your resolution settings when you were in svr? Were you using a scaling mod?  Shader mod?

I used fsr for steam vr.

But I have a completely fresh install, uninstalled and deleted all folders and files. And fresh install of WMR, open xr and xopen xr tool kit.

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

1 hour ago, Gunfreak said:

What settings in the game are people running to get good preformance with the openXr and a 2080ti?

With motion reprojection on the key for me with the Apache is to turn textures down to medium. Running with MSAA at 2x, no upscaling.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Hi

I have problems to get the openxt toolkit "meny" to open/overlay in DCS VR.  Can somebody propose some new things for me to try ?  (it works in MSFS2020)

Configuration : Amd 5900X, 64GB, GTX3080, Pimax 8k-x, Windows11, DCS-openbeta-latest, openxt toolkit latest, latest nvidia drivers, steamVR and Pitool. 
Note : Woth mention is that I also have an oculus quest2, but removed all references and programs for oculus in favor to Pimax 

I have tried to

1. Re mapped openXR toolkit meny buttons, (cntl+left,right,dow:: cntl+alt+left+right+down, cntl+f1,f2,f3) - But in FS2020 everything works Fine!
2. Re installed DCS, and removed all save folders, manually
3. Re installed, Cleaned DCS using "DCS Updater Tool"
4. Re installed SteamVR et
5. Installed OpenXR for Windows Mixed reality, did not work either. but also made FS2020 NOT to work, so uninstalled "OpenXR for Mixed Reality".
6. Reinstalled OpenXR toolkit, a number of times
7. Have set steamVR as default openXR driver. 

I have just started with DCS, so bit of a newbie. But have googled alot. 

2 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

I used fsr for steam vr.

But I have a completely fresh install, uninstalled and deleted all folders and files. And fresh install of WMR, open xr and xopen xr tool kit.

You should get a little boost from open xr. You can reduce resolution in the toolkit. Between that and cutting back on textures seems like you could get something going until you can figure out what's going on with the companion app.

Sometimes openxr doesn't update, you may have to uninstall/reinstall that to get the latest version. There's a guide to that somewhere around here. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Right off the bat I noticed that OP instructions call for SkateZilla for DCS cleanup. SZ does not support Steam distribution DCS. Is it the case that I can't implement OXR as a Steam licensed application following the steps in OP? Is switching my license from Steam to ED my only option here? Thanks!

You can do the repair/cleanup option from the DCSupdater.exe as I recall...

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Jabbah's changes have been merged into the upstream OpenComposite repository here https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/master. Not sure if Jabbah's version will be supported going forward.

Unfortunately, my OvGME GitHub repository won't be updated to support this since the upstream doesn't have a very well refined release process. The download process is to essentially download the DLL files from the README in the upstream.

• Like 1