"Trim- Reset to default" button

Tj1376
Go to solution Solved by NineLine,

+1 on the need for a Force Trim reset control.  I've also noticed at times that when I adjust the force trim, it won't recognize either the pitch or roll inputs unless I wipe the controls quickly. 

However, in the mean time I've stumbled on an unintended workaround if I am struggling to get myself retrimmed to a neutral position.  Just jump into the CP/G seat, then back to the Pilot seat.  The program will automatically reset the force trim.  I have those commands mapped to an unused button on my collective to make it quick and easy.  Doesn't negate my desire for a cheat to reset the Force Trim... but there ya go.

Cheers,

Dud

• Like 1

If it worked perfectly... what's the fun in that? :joystick:

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Ignition:

You need to bring it to the center.

I'm trying to understand why someone would need this feature, maybe you're changing speed very fast, like 120 to 0 in 4 seconds? I can't understand because if you're flying at 120 and expect to hover pressing a trim reset at that speed it will only get much much worse.

Mostly it would enable people to do Hammerhead turns and bop ups using the higher approach speed, without the need to trim two times from a forward pitch trim. Because as many people pointed out, already, you can only pull your stick back half the axis complete travel. I usually try to "pick up" the trim from the forward position by pressing and holding the trim release, but the trim reset keybind (that ED already announced will come, btw.) is implemented in all the other helicopter modules for a good reason. 😉

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

On 3/23/2022 at 4:57 AM, NineLine said:

Thanks for all your valuable feedback, this is now a thing, and has been added internally. You should see this option in an upcoming patch.

I thought, Procurement of trim resets will actually make the reduction realistic, even in the original helicopter there is no such thing. Besides that it is related to realistic, if an unrealistic trim reset can be held why can't others? (Like IR deflector for example)

I think there's another way besides having to hold a trim reset. Suppose it provides an "autopilot" feature like the one in huey, where basically 'George' is the one who controls the aircraft even though our position is in the backseater. The existing features now, we must be in front to order 'George' to control the plane.

Please reconsider the trim reset, this will reduce the sense of realisticity in this helicopter and let people learn how to fly this helicopter as it really is. Procurement of a trim reset will give the image that nothing or unrealistic can be incorporated into the system.

Thank you, again please consider.

cropped-GVAW_RC2.png

DCS INDONESIA COMMUNITY
Garuda virtual Air Wing
Official Website | Discord | Facebook | Instagram

On 3/24/2022 at 7:10 AM, 84-Simba said:

Silly question here maybe, but when you have your stick and pedals re-centered after a trim,

Aren't they coming to the neutral position if you press force-trim again ?

Or do you have to ''aim'' for the virtual position and then bring it back to neutral ?

No it won't because your physical stick in its centered position is the sim's stick in the last trim position. Hence pressing FTR in that instance is essentially repeating the previous trim - the x and diamond in the controls indicator will not move - nothing happens.

• Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

On 3/22/2022 at 7:05 AM, Kayos said:

+1 for me too !!  Would love this feature.  I have the X65F (stick doesn't move, it is done by how much pressure you put on the stick) and have found it really hard on any of the 3 options we have.

Anyone else with a X65F?  What setting are you using for your trim?

I don't have a X65F, but I have a FSSB R3L, which is also force sensing. I use instant trim.

I tried central position trim at first but I found sometimes I was fighting against the stick. With central trim, sometimes I trim and if there is still some force I applied on the stick, the control just doesn't recenter and it causes me trouble. For example, if I want to trim left, I apply 3 lbs of force to the left, hit trim, but maybe I also have 0.1 lbs of force on my hands in pitch as well since force sensing is very sensitive, the game think my stick isn't centered. Therefore, if at that moment I want to bank left, I have to apply whatever force I need plus extra 3 lbs of force, and this just throws me off sometimes and making me feel like my control is jammed. The only workaround is everytime you trim, you remove your hand off the stick to make sure it's centered. 

With instant trim, it works like a charm. Basically how trim works on the Huey, because you don't need to center the stick everytime you hit trim. Just remember to ease off the force after trimming so the aircraft doesn't suddenly tilt towards whatever direction you trimmed it. 

Basically, instant trim = immediately sets a new center/neutral position for your stick. I like it better for my force sensing stick. 

• Like 1

Personally, I'm happy to see they are bringing in a trim reset.  Not because I would ever use it in flight, but because I won't have to pull the ugly controls indicator up to recenter the controls after landing. 

Now I just need to find a spot to bind it, as my usual candidate is now not an option.  Does "Force Trim/Hold Mode Switch - D/Down" have any actual use?  If not it'll be going there.

• 1 month later...