The F-35 Thread

Groove

I think the best slides was the one showing the radar mapping, that detected the cracks on the runway. I do not know if this is normal operation on modern radars but impressive non he less. Also, it looks like there are hyperlink to video but I could not get them to work, any luck for you guys?

Yeah, that's badass. There were mower patters too. I bet it can count blades of grass too, but that's a classified mode. ;)

That HMDS is nuts. If things keep going this way, the next iteration will be this:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~shipman/3rdMEU/SA-43Hammerhead.html :)

Edited by RedTiger

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, is that the actual cockpit? All you have there is one large LCD and the HOTAS. Theres like nothing else. Talk about streamlined. I guess you do most of the "button" pushing from the HOTAS or touchscreen the LCD.

Another thing that's interesting is you no longer wear a cool looking fighter pilot helmet. With all that stuff you now look like a big alien bug ;).

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

• Like 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

".....Range performance is Classified......"

Anybody care to venture an educated guess as to the Radius of the DAS system?

Interesting - Ta for the Links :thumbup:

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Yep, though shooting missiles from extreme off boresight angles will kill the range of any missile down to 1/3. It is extremely demanding kineticaly.

Theres nothing like aiming your shot first.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

".....Range performance is Classified......"

Anybody care to venture an educated guess as to the Radius of the DAS system?

Interesting - Ta for the Links :thumbup:

10 pages ago

DAS is likely to detect contrast objects WVR;

bright objects at tens of km (like AAMs with booster motor active);

oh, and VERY bright objects at about 150 million km (like the Sun).

Should be mentioned, these optical systems depend heavily on weather (atmosphere transparency) and background brightness level. All the ranges drop several times when you're low above the surface or trying to see something with the sun-lit clouds in the background.

Some of the things to keep in mind about this videos (both the AN/AAQ-37 or the MIG-35 OLS,APG-81, etc.) is that this are videos made by companies selling a product and we should look at them for the entertainment since we do not know the actual capabilities. This are also new technologies ( or equipment/avionics I should say) so they are evolving and the final product might change.

Now if the AN/AAQ-37 or the MIG -35 OLS(which I know is not the same idea as DAS, but similar) deliver what they promise, wow. Imagine the results a combat pilot gets when combining an AESA/PESA radar, with some of this systems. Hopefully, this systems will prevent fratricide in future conflicts or even prevent/diminish collateral damage with smaller bombs like the SDB (or similar size future bombs)

At any rate cool stuff.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Lockheed Martin EOTS page with several videos (no music nor sounds on most of them)

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/products/F-35LightningIIEOTS/index.html

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/the_wrong_way_to_build_the_oLQLtHrRWTGHtp9LS8VrzI

The wrong way to build the F-35

By JOHN LEHMAN

Last Updated: 1:58 PM, October 1, 2009

I'm quite unused to defending the actions of Congress, but when it comes to contracting the production of the new F-35 fighter, the Defense committees are right and the Pentagon is wrong.

GE and RR are welcome to complete the F136 dev on their own. The Congress is welcome to fund the F136 as long as it is separate from the F-35 budget.

The reason is simple, any money taken from the F-35 program will result in longer development & training programs due to the lack of LRIP jets for the pilots and maintaininers to train on. This will result in longer acquisition schedules and higher overall prices for the F-35.

Yep, though shooting missiles from extreme off boresight angles will kill the range of any missile down to 1/3. It is extremely demanding kineticaly.

Theres nothing like aiming your shot first.

Why can't the missile turn before starting its engine? It's already flying at the speed of the launching A/C...

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

No always.. IIRC, the UK was working on a AAM a while back that used puffer jets to get the missile pointed in the right direction before the main rocket kicked in.

---edit

My bad.. It's called the CAMM and it is a SAM

http://defense-update.com/products/c/camm.html

odd.. I feel a Dr. Seuss rhyme coming on :)

Edited by SpudmanWP

SAMs have enough space for this. Further, this is a typical VLS setup - shoot it up, turn it to the bandit, THEN fire the main engine.

On aircraft, where you need your SRM to get to the target fast, you don't get to do such a thing - you light the engine on the rail and thrust-vector to the bandit. Like Pilotasso said, any high-off-bore maneuver will kill range, because you're spending your thrust on making that 90 or 180, and you have less motor burn time left for straight acceleration.

Missiles without TVC take even longer since they need to keep from stalling - ie. they CANNOT take that 90 deg corner and maintain orientation as a TVC missile can.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

An associated question (as you can see I'm a terrible newbie in BVR): how dependent is missile range in BVR to the speed of the launching A/C, assuming frontal engagement? Maybe you can point me to some literature on the subject?

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

You can get a 15km difference in max range if you compare something extreme like, launching from 100kph vs 1100kph, in the situation you described - for real missiles.

However this is not applicable to LO at all: You get no more than a few hundred meters of gain by being a speed demon in LO.

An associated question (as you can see I'm a terrible newbie in BVR): how dependent is missile range in BVR to the speed of the launching A/C, assuming frontal engagement? Maybe you can point me to some literature on the subject?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda