AMD 5800X3D, the new King for flight simulators?

maxsin72

On a new build I would go Ryzen 7xxx with the ability to drop an X3D cpu in later when they're available if needed.  As long as AMD support the AM5 platform as they have done the AM4 then you should have a fairly good future proof machine to build upon.

Bear in mind that this is the DCS VR forum so the typical machine requirements are huge, in 2D pancake (on a monitor) the GPU requirements are nowhere near as high.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

16 minutes ago, edmuss said:

On a new build I would go Ryzen 7xxx with the ability to drop an X3D cpu in later when they're available if needed.  As long as AMD support the AM5 platform as they have done the AM4 then you should have a fairly good future proof machine to build upon.

Bear in mind that this is the DCS VR forum so the typical machine requirements are huge, in 2D pancake (on a monitor) the GPU requirements are nowhere near as high.

Thanks for your advice, really appreciated!

9 hours ago, tomcat_driver said:

350€ f. sake, bought mine for 430€ last week.

Same :)...  didn't even really play DCS even :).  Whatevs...  just money 🙂

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I did the upgrade (5800X3D) and gained around 3ms of CPU frametime from 9900K, haven't done a lot of testings tho. 

Learned a lot from cross upgrading with mobo/cpu swap from AMD to Intel.

1. You can just swap mobo/cpu, Windows will boot (still using Win 10).

2. Some RAMs are not compatible, it wouldn't POST with my current DDR4 RAM and had to use another batch of older RAMs which worked.

2. All associated drivers will need to be installed.  My LAN/Wifi didn't work and I had to download drivers from another PC and copied them over before gaining internet access.

3. Some peripherals weren't recognized (WinWing gear, MFG rudder pedals).  Had to manually delete them from device window, unplug, restart and replug for detection--simply unplug and replug didn't work.

Update: Crazy fps uplift in MSFS.  Egypt flight activity, 81-83 fps, previously high 50s wow this is much more than DCS.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

7 hours ago, Supmua said:

I did the upgrade (5800X3D) and gained around 3ms of CPU frametime from 9900K, haven't done a lot of testings tho. 

Learned a lot from cross upgrading with mobo/cpu swap from AMD to Intel.

1. You can just swap mobo/cpu, Windows will boot (still using Win 10).

2. Some RAMs are not compatible, it wouldn't POST with my current DDR4 RAM and had to use another batch of older RAMs which worked.

2. All associated drivers will need to be installed.  My LAN/Wifi didn't work and I had to download drivers from another PC and copied them over before gaining internet access.

3. Some peripherals weren't recognized (WinWing gear, MFG rudder pedals).  Had to manually delete them from device window, unplug, restart and replug for detection--simply unplug and replug didn't work.

Update: Crazy fps uplift in MSFS.  Egypt flight activity, 81-83 fps, previously high 50s wow this is much more than DCS.

Not sure I would recommend just swapping an OS between PCs, I know it can work but I always prefer new system, new start. But probably is ok in the long run. So the uplift is more in MSFS than DCS. I still can't decide between 13700k or wait for 7000X3D?

3 hours ago, golgot said:

Hi folk!

This thread decided me! I will couple my rtx3080 with a 5800X3D. But I am not familiar with AMD. Any advice on which motherboard I should go for. And which chipset X550 or X570X?

If you don't plan to overclock (which really doesn't work out with Ryzen) any B550 or even B450 boards would fit your needs. If you need that extra stuff (rgb, more USB, BIOS preferences etc) you could check the 570s. I am currently running a Asus Prime B450 for around 80€ which is totally fine for me. 

• Thanks 2

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

I'm on an MSI B450 Mortar Max and it works fine with the 5800x3D, however it's really quite limited on pciE lanes and if I use the second pciE slot it disables the second M2 slot. Check your requirements for how much USB you need and how many pciE lanes you're likely to use.

• Thanks 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

I am told there is already a price slash of the AM4 series, at least in the US. Nothing here in the UK though.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Let me check Scan.co.uk again. 😞

Update: yup, it is now £359.78 if you buy it separately, if you get a built one from them, it still quotes the original price... 😡

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

25 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Let me check Scan.co.uk again. 😞

Update: yup, it is now £359.78 if you buy it separately, if you get a built one from them, it still quotes the original price... 😡

Overclockers have it at 350 and its in stock. I really nearly just bought one. Soooo tempting... The asus rog b550 + 64gb ram (and cpu) for approx. 800ish. HMMMMM

Question is, will it get cheaper on black friday..

Edited by Hoirtel

According to Scan UK, the stock is due on 10 Nov, so we shall see if there would also be a price slash in the built department or not. Fingers crossed.

Just now, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

According to Scan UK, the stock is due on 10 Nov, so we shall see if there would also be a price slash in the built department or not. Fingers crossed.

Well I'm totally stuck on the fence. I was waiting for 7000X3D but these prices are really good. I wish I could tell what sort of uplift I could get on a 9900KS.

I am on the fence of picking up the monstrous 4090 or wait a bit longer to go for the 7900XTX... so totally off-topic.

19 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

I am on the fence of picking up the monstrous 4090 or wait a bit longer to go for the 7900XTX... so totally off-topic.

Valid choice, bit of a price and value problem. I think the 7900 will definitely be the best bang for buck, 4090 will be faster for sure. But I heard the last amd cards were poor in VR. Drivers just don't like reprojection I think.

Edited by Hoirtel

Hi guys - I have the following spec:

5600x/ RTX 3080 10GB (FE) / 64 GB Ram

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 5800X3D as I mainly play simulation games such as DCS. I use 3440 X 1440 resolution, but does anyone think I will see any gains if I upgrade? Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Heroman30 said:

Hi guys - I have the following spec:

5600x/ RTX 3080 10GB (FE) / 64 GB Ram

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 5800X3D as I mainly play simulation games such as DCS. I use 3440 X 1440 resolution, but does anyone think I will see any gains if I upgrade? Thanks!

Depends on your playing style. If you play in 2D and single player, you won't notice much most of the time.
In VR and more demanding missions (multiplayer, heavy scripting, lots of units). It will widen the bottleneck and can give you an uplift in performance.

It is certainly the most meaningful and cost effective upgrade you can give your system as it is now. You already have the maximum reasonable amount of ram, a decent GPU (you can't get a better one than that for the price of a 5800X3D).

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I saw around 25% uplift going from R5 3600@4.3Ghz all core to the 5800x3D, this was with my 3070.  Also using an MSI max board, specifically a mortar and had no issues with the CPU following a bios update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem with quoting uplifts is around the question of where, and with what settings. Shadows, other aircraft and Cluster Ammunition punish the CPU

If you are doing free flight over water somewhere in the middle east, you aint likely going to get a boost even with a 3600X as you are 100% GPU bound. However doing a fully populated carrier deck startup will easily double performance 

Either way. If you are on an AM4 platform it's the easiest $300ish upgrade with the most bang for buck you are going to get

• Like 2

So in other words, the answer is yes, right?  He will see a great improvement in areas where the CPU struggled, but not so much in areas where the CPU wasn't struggling.

I'd say the upgrade is a no-brainer for almost anyone playing DCS that is staying with AM4 but needs a boost.  I say 'almost anyone' because in my case, I cannot justify replacing a 5950 with a 5800x3D.  A 4090 is my next upgrade.

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

Should have pointed out that I saw the uplift in CPU light scenarios, CPU heavy was night and day different 🙂

4 hours ago, Slammin said:

So in other words, the answer is yes, right?  He will see a great improvement in areas where the CPU struggled, but not so much in areas where the CPU wasn't struggling.

I'd say the upgrade is a no-brainer for almost anyone playing DCS that is staying with AM4 but needs a boost.  I say 'almost anyone' because in my case, I cannot justify replacing a 5950 with a 5800x3D.  A 4090 is my next upgrade.

Pretty much 

And sure. I’d preface with ‘It all depends on what else you use the processor for’. If it’s just DCS and other games plus light tasks then the uplift that the guys who upgraded from 5600X/5800X is going to be very similar (nigh identical) to the 5950X. It’s a workstation component that is made for thread heavy applications which usually people make money off - the latter is a big deal when literally halving thread count 

• Thanks 1