Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

5 hours ago, Hammer3246 said:

Thanks, another question.   If it's strictly DCS,  do I need controllers or will just a mouse do?

I also just use one base station, no controllers needed.  Varjo Base opens a virtual desktop and you use your mouse and keyboard as normal 🙂

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

1 hour ago, dureiken said:

Thanks guys, I can tell that Varjo DFR is really awesome ! MSAAx4 and all max 🙂

which PPD do you use in Varjo Base ? thanks

I use 39, and have Varjo DFR set to .8 Peripherary and 1.4 Focus. Very pleased with the results.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Just tried 39PPD for the first time I have been running it at 37 and there is a slight more clarity for sure it beautiful ! What would flag my rig that 39PPD is to much or to high. It seems to run fine with it on 39 but not sure to look for that it’s to much. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

2 hours ago, Burt said:

Just tried 39PPD for the first time I have been running it at 37 and there is a slight more clarity for sure it beautiful ! What would flag my rig that 39PPD is to much or to high. It seems to run fine with it on 39 but not sure to look for that it’s to much. 

:thumbup:

If it appears to be running fine and gives you a good experience - then it is running fine. Sometimes I think we all tend to get into the weeds a little further than we really need to.

I have had mine set like that along with my graphics options for some time now, rarely touch them now.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

23 hours ago, Hammer3246 said:

Thanks, another question.   If it's strictly DCS,  do I need controllers or will just a mouse do?

Mouse will do… I have controllers from my Pimax purchase but never even unpack them yet.  

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

@dburne - Yeah I’m not seeing or experiencing any performance or shimming issues running at 39ppd and it looks amazing. I might try changing some settings.cfg values in the next few days. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Anyone here have a Quest Pro along with their Aero (or those that have an Aero and have tried a QP), how does both the vertical and horizontal FoV compare?

I’ve heard some quite bad things about the vertical FoV and before I pull the trigger on a headset during their sale I’d like to get peoples input 

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

On 8/19/2023 at 8:34 PM, Hammer3246 said:

I've done it,  really looking forward this headset!

Welcome to the Cool Kids Club 😎🤣

• Like 1

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

12 hours ago, obious said:

Anyone here have a Quest Pro along with their Aero (or those that have an Aero and have tried a QP), how does both the vertical and horizontal FoV compare?

I’ve heard some quite bad things about the vertical FoV and before I pull the trigger on a headset during their sale I’d like to get peoples input 

I tested the QP for two weeks, before I got the Aero. Horizontal FOV was very similar and was not noticable to me, but the vertical FOV was a fair bit smaller. The FOV felt like an oval shape in the QP vs the Aero which is more like a rectangular box. But, to gain that vertical FOV I had to positon the QP on my head in a way that was not very comfortable to me (the Aero is much more comfortable over longer sorties).
The difference in vertical FOV in practice, is that you have to move your head an inch or two down to see the HSI in the F16. Not a very big deal imho and I quickly got used to that, and the reduced FOV is greatly overshadowed by the boost in clarity. Everything outside the cockpit is noticable sharper and you can pick out airframes at longer distances. Inside the cockpit is also sharper.
So, if you don't want to trade for clarity/details at the cost of a bit of FOV, keep the QP. If you miss a bit of detail/clarity, you won't be dissapointed with the Aero.

If both headsets were priced the same, I would pick the Aero every single time.

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

2 hours ago, Willdass said:

If both headsets were priced the same, I would pick the Aero every single time.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback. Out of interest, did you experience a perf diff between the QP and Aero? 

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

2 hours ago, obious said:

Good to know, thanks for the feedback. Out of interest, did you experience a perf diff between the QP and Aero? 

Yes, but this was before we had DFR. Aero ran much better on my system. 
I got a lot of ghosting with the QP and I did not get along well with Oculus debug tool and tray tools. Settings should apply automatically but rarely did. 
Would be cool to test the QP again with DFR now though. 

Hi,

I am really happy with my Varjo Aero, sold my Pimax Crystal mainly because of bad confort for me.

I have a question with tracking : I have 2 stations but when I put my hand on the side of the HMD, it looses tracking and freeze or go anywhere.

Do you have same ?

Thanks ! 🙂

2 hours ago, dureiken said:

Hi,

I am really happy with my Varjo Aero, sold my Pimax Crystal mainly because of bad confort for me.

I have a question with tracking : I have 2 stations but when I put my hand on the side of the HMD, it looses tracking and freeze or go anywhere.

Do you have same ?

Thanks ! 🙂

Play with the positioning of your 2 stations. I have mine diagonal to each other. Front left - rear right. Can't say I ever have tracking issues. Also I don't know that I ever put my hand on the side of the HMD - obviously you risk covering up some sensors. Once I have my HMD on I have not reason to put hands on again till ready to take it off.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

1 hour ago, dureiken said:
Hi,
if it can help, I had problems using Aero and OXR Necksafer awesome tool : when I looked left or right, my view gone outside of cockpit.
I changed Varjo=>Force origin and direction
And no more problem 🙂
Hope it helped !

It probably would have helped your cause if you had stated  you were running a Mod that affects head positioning projection from the get go.

Just sayin 😉

• Like 1

Don B

On 8/27/2023 at 6:50 PM, dburne said:

It probably would have helped your cause if you had stated  you were running a Mod that affects head positioning projection from the get go.

Just sayin 😉

what do you mean ? it's about my previous question about tracking ? I still have problem without OXRNS, no link

28 minutes ago, dureiken said:

what do you mean ? it's about my previous question about tracking ? I still have problem without OXRNS, no link

What do you mean "no link" ?

Did you totally clean out XRNS to test tracking?

What version of stations do you have? How are they placed?

Two version 2 Base Stations placed diagnally with no reflective surfaces should do well.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

31 minutes ago, dburne said:

What do you mean "no link" ?

Did you totally clean out XRNS to test tracking?

What version of stations do you have? How are they placed?

Two version 2 Base Stations placed diagnally with no reflective surfaces should do well.

I disabled OXRNS, but not uninstalled

My stations are v2 but not diagnally placed, they are both in front at 10 and 2 o'clock

Will change to test 10 and 4 a clock yes thanks

2 minutes ago, dureiken said:

I disabled OXRNS, but not uninstalled

My stations are v2 but not diagnally placed, they are both in front at 10 and 2 o'clock

Will change to test 10 and 4 a clock yes thanks

Mine are about 10 clock and 4 oclock.

If that does not help open a support ticket, however they will likely want you to clean out OXRNS first.

Don B

1 hour ago, obious said:

@dburne are you running at 90fps or 45fps? I

45 vsync on in Varjo Base.

Don B

27 minutes ago, dburne said:

45 vsync on in Varjo Base.

With your rig (I have the same graphics card), have you tried 90fps? I’m assuming performance (or lack there of it) is the reason that you’re locking to 45fps?

• Like 1

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale