Sanity check - speed too low on carrier approach?!

Elphaba

I’ve been doing some flying in the F14 Case 1,2&3 and I’ve noticed something odd and I just want to check that it’s working correctly.

I am flying in good weather, no gusts, and I’m on speed (donut) and perfectly centred in the E bracket, DOC is engaged and speed brakes are fully deployed and I’m getting an airspeed of 124kts, and the LSO is calling “too slow”?!

How can I be too slow when I’m fully and correctly configured.

I have <7000 fuel and 2 ‘winders, 2 sparrow, 4 phoenixes and no external tanks. 

if I lower the nose to get airspeed to what I thought it should be (135kts) then I’m outside the E bracket. 

Am I mistaken or is this incorrect behaviour?

28 minutes ago, Elphaba said:

I’ve been doing some flying in the F14 Case 1,2&3 and I’ve noticed something odd and I just want to check that it’s working correctly.

I am flying in good weather, no gusts, and I’m on speed (donut) and perfectly centred in the E bracket, DOC is engaged and speed brakes are fully deployed and I’m getting an airspeed of 124kts, and the LSO is calling “too slow”?!

How can I be too slow when I’m fully and correctly configured.

I have <7000 fuel and 2 ‘winders, 2 sparrow, 4 phoenixes and no external tanks. 

if I lower the nose to get airspeed to what I thought it should be (135kts) then I’m outside the E bracket. 

Am I mistaken or is this incorrect behaviour?

The LSO is calling everything except a Hornet slow. Ignore that call for now until they get it fixed.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

On Speed but slightly on the heavy side.

If i'm not mistaken, Fuel at the ramp for that loadout should be around 4200 to hit max trap + - some give and take (still did not figured the weight system out (e.g. phoenix pallets having a weight or not, nominal and DCS empty weight etc.)).

But for me as an armchair pilot and never experience any penalty for being overweight, I don't care very much about the last point, but try to be in the rough numbers of Karons old weight table (even so not a 100% correct anymore)

You are not too slow and LSO is not calling you slow because you were flying at 124 kias. In fact it has nothing to do with speed at all. Its all about AOA.

Hornets "on speed" is 8.1° AOA (if Im not mistaken its been a while since I flew it last) and Tomcat "on speed" AOA is 15 units which, if I remember correctly is 10.2° AOA.

LSO is tuned to hornet as was said, he would call Hornet at 10.2° AOA slow, which would be correct. Unfortunately for us F-14 drivers flying correct approach at our "on speed" AOA it means we get to be always called slow. 

• Like 1

It really is a shame that ED hasn't fixed this yet. This, and the "raise the bar" for the F-14A catapult hookup are bugs going on for months now, if not years.

As I've said earlier, it looks like ED isn't willing to do anything about it seen the F-14 isn't an official ED product.

Guess it doesn't fare well for the upcoming A-7E.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Golo said:

You are not too slow and LSO is not calling you slow because you were flying at 124 kias. In fact it has nothing to do with speed at all. Its all about AOA.

Hornets "on speed" is 8.1° AOA (if Im not mistaken its been a while since I flew it last) and Tomcat "on speed" AOA is 15 units which, if I remember correctly is 10.2° AOA.

LSO is tuned to hornet as was said, he would call Hornet at 10.2° AOA slow, which would be correct. Unfortunately for us F-14 drivers flying correct approach at our "on speed" AOA it means we get to be always called slow. 

I mean, nothing in the above is wrong, but I just want to add that the Tomcat on approach is +-10kts slower than a Hornet.  So while the LSO is cuing off of AoA (which would be the correct thing to judge as it auto accounts for weight) to determine speed, an "on speed" Tomcat is slower than an "on speed" Hornet.

15 hours ago, Cocker said:

This, and the "raise the bar" for the F-14A catapult hookup are bugs going on for months now, if not years.

The lua edit for that doesn't work any more either. I edited it for both my client and dedicated server and they still give improper wingsweep/launchbar signals.

I might add also to ignore the E brackets in the Tomcat HUD.  It is ratchety and inaccurate, even in real life.  RL Tomcat drivers even ignore it.

v6,

boNes

• Like 1

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

49 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

I might add also to ignore the E brackets in the Tomcat HUD.  It is ratchety and inaccurate, even in real life.

Works fine for me in DCS. I've never seen it disagree with the AoA indexer. What most people make the mistake of doing is referencing the E bracket with the VV, which is not how it works. It should be referenced against the fixed T in the HUD.

• Like 2