[SOUTH EAST ASIA] VIETNAM MAP 1200km x 600km, It's time to get this started.

SOLIDKREATE

I'm inclined to agree KWard...

That said...

I DO think that Vietnam and Korea maps will probably be announced in 2023, and with a little luck, a whole bunch of software/driver updates, hardware updates, might even be ready for DCS players in 2026 or 27.

Don't quote me on that, and no, I'm not in contact with anyone that could make that happen. Just a gut feeling is all, that we are fast approaching the time when this becomes POSSIBLE!

Add to that all the era-correct  modules arriving (or at least the basic airframe shapes won't look out of place in 'Nam), and the much increased community excitement over such possibilities...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rick50 said:

Just a gut feeling is all, that we are fast approaching the time when this becomes POSSIBLE!

It was always possible - it's just a matter of scope and quality.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

12 hours ago, draconus said:

It was always possible - it's just a matter of scope and quality.

Well... see here:

We certainly plan to do a Vietnam map in the future, but there are some substantial technical hurdles that must first be overcome to do such a map right. - Wags

That said, despite substantial technical issues, they DO officially plan on having a Vietnam map for DCS!!!

"in the future" might mean a bit of a wait though. Still, I'll take it!!

Edited by Rick50

8 hours ago, Rick50 said:

Well... see here: ...

...only because they want to do it "right", meaning they already have set expected scope and quality, right?

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Uh... you just said it was ALWAYS possible. Wags just said that there are STILL technical hurdles to overcome. ED has always maintained that they're only wanting 100% accurate high fidellity. So a low or medium quality jungle was NEVER going to happen in DCS. 

On 1/8/2023 at 5:51 AM, Rick50 said:

Well... see here:

It's odd because pretty much at the same time, Kate (ED's COO) was saying the opposite on discord:

8a0DbAR.png

Looking at both comments I assume Kate uses "plan" in a more literal way. They want to do it but at the moment they don't have a well defined slot for it on their internal roadmap and wont dedicate resources to it until the engine is capable of supporting such a map.

• Like 3

Yea, that's probable: Kate doesn't have that listed on an official production list, while Wags and others at the company WANT to do it once it becomes possible. Both can be true at the same time. I guess that means Wags' comment was not at all "official",  but rather a comment about future aspirational  goals. But I do think that we are maybe approaching the time when this becomes a practical project. 

If nothing else, at least this gives us a bit of hope that we'll probably get an SEA map at some point in future! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

• Like 1

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 - DCS: Yak-52 - DCS: M-2000C - DCS: F-16C Viper - DCS: A-10C II Tank Killer - DCS: F/A-18C Hornet - DCS: AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL - DCS: Supercarrier -

DCS: Mi-24P Hind - DCS: AH-64D Apache - DCS: Syria - DCS: Persian Gulf - DCS: Caucasus - DCS: Marianas - DCS: South Atlantic

Wishlist #1: Ground crew, vehicles and support equipment on busy Air Base platforms. Wishlist #2: Douglas A-4 Skyhawk (early series)

A-4.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 3:24 AM, bies said:

And MiG-17 is officially coming!

See, even more of a reason. I need to update my first post. I posted in my other topic about the F-105. I am purchasing the weapons manual in about a week. I just need a third party licensed DEV to contact because I'm not just giving to anyone for the time being.

Edited by SOLIDKREATE
  • Like 2

What is the status of the Viet Nam map?  At the beginning of 2023, there was information saying that a development team was going to create the Viet Nam map.  While we have information about the Kola and Australia maps, we have not heard anything lately about Viet Nam.  

The upcoming Mig-17 and F-4 would be right at home in the skies of Viet Nam.

Mike Force Team

Edited by Mike Force Team
  • Like 1

What is the status of the Viet Nam map?  At the beginning of 2023, there was information saying that a development team was going to create the Viet Nam map.  While we have information about the Kola and Australia maps, we have not heard anything lately about Viet Nam.  
The upcoming Mig-17 and F-4 would be right at home in the skies of Viet Nam.
Mike Force Team
Hi Mike!
There is no official status as of today.
OnReTech has teased that they are negotiating with ED about their next project. Many believes that Nam might be it, while I highly doubt it as ED has stated that they will do it themselves. (Korea too IIRC).
So unless something has changed, my bet is on Balkan/Baltics. We'll see.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 6/14/2023 at 7:56 PM, Mike Force Team said:

At the beginning of 2023, there was information saying that a development team was going to create the Viet Nam map. 

I think there was a mixture of: rumours, hard factual statements, and speculation based more on wants and projection than reality. I think some people wanting it to appear fast, blended the rumours and speculation together and concluded things that were going to disappoint themselves later. Some people only hear what they WANT TO HEAR.

"...a dev team was going to create the VN map"

I  believe that's an accurate statement. But what's missing from the statement? There's no timeline. Could be started this year, could be started in 2030, completed and playable in game in 2034. 

Nor is any official statements from a dev team included. The "new" standard is once dev is proven likely to be successful to ED's satisfaction, approvals are granted, and then a quick PR announcement maybe with video or screenshots, are used to tell the  public of what's being started, and also to tell other devs that this project is being started so they don't duplicate efforts. None of that has occurred, so I'm assuming that while one or more teams are thinking and planning for a VN map, none have poured big money or allocated work hours to it yet.

I think it's doable, to our levels of satisfaction. But I think it won't be ready for us customers to fly until at LEAST 2027 at earliest, instead 2030 is more likely. The downside is the wait. The upside is our hardware will be much more capable of rendering it with high frames!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rick50 said:

I think it's doable, to our levels of satisfaction. But I think it won't be ready for us customers to fly until at LEAST 2027 at earliest, instead 2030 is more likely. The downside is the wait. The upside is our hardware will be much more capable of rendering it with high frames!

This right here what he said is the limiting factor however if someone did start now it could be ready in three to five years. I am guessing we would have RTX 7090Ti's by then with 48GB GDDR8 or something insane like that. Also coupled with 32-Core CPU's as the low standard as well.

I think the game is engine is aging and maybe moving to UE5 would be better and just announcing DCS 3.0? That engine has some new insane terrain and tree generation capapbilities now which would make "The Bush" very possible.

Edited by SOLIDKREATE

That's  true... it might indeed require a new DCS engine. Maybe. Or heavy investment in the existing  one to have the similar benefits that Unreal5 has for high vegetation rendering, vegetation placement through AI perhaps, Ultimately, this isn't like making another desert map. This is maybe more complex, more like developing the Hornet module. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SOLIDKREATE said:

I think the game is engine is aging and maybe moving to UE5 would be better and just announcing DCS 3.0?

Devs have stated many times that they were looking at other gfx engines but found them inadequate for the tasks so they decided they are better off developing their own.

• Like 2

Well, let's face it, DCS is handling lots of things that most engines don't need to do.  On the other hand, I'd expect that there probably  will need to be upgrades or even total re-writes to achieve what we want in future!

Huge volumes of trees and foliage in the hundreds of billions would only be one thing.

More realism and "granularity" in radar simulation  and limitations

A more comprehensive electronic warfare "system", for more realism in more modern conflicts

AI that is more competent, and less "limited" without player orders and intervention. AI with more realism in flight dynamics, fuel behaviours (not stupidly running out of fuel instead of RTB'ing at a reasonable fuel level) and such. I'll leave the details to those who are closer to the issues.

Integrated air defence with good AI running the systems, being a true opponent capable of strategy/tactics

Persistent and  dynamic campaigns, run both by human and AI, humans giving guidance to AI for coverage when the human goes offline, 

Improved realism in missile behaviours, be it aerodynamic behaviour and limitations, seeker behaviours, 

We aren't going to find any of that in other companies Commercial Off The Shelf solutions, it'd have to be done in-house, I would think. But some solutions could be bought/licenced for specific items, like perhaps the foliage rendering system from Unreal might be of use to integrate into DCS 3.0 or 4.0 or whatever.

2 hours ago, Rick50 said:

We aren't going to find any of that in other companies Commercial Off The Shelf solutions, it'd have to be done in-house, I would think. But some solutions could be bought/licenced for specific items, like perhaps the foliage rendering system from Unreal might be of use to integrate into DCS 3.0 or 4.0 or whatever.

I was just going to say tis here at the end. 

For anyone looking at other modern Unreal based engines - one big factor that has made Flights Sims need their own engines since forever - is the scale at which you're able to see things. 

Only in flight sims, do you get the need for an engine to render things tens of kilometers, sometimes hundreds of kilometers away, all at once.  For the Unreal video posted above, those 'bush' renderings may be dreamy, but you cannot apply that rendering engne to an aircraft travelling 600knts at an altitude of 10,000ft.  It would crash the computer.  

Most all the games that run Unreal Engine dynamics do not have to render such large areas, and move that large area of render around such a large map, as quickly, all at once, like a flight-sim engine needs to do. 

Furthermore, weather dynamics are often under-utilized in those engines, where they're more often simply 'background' to a scene, and not an active part of the environment, outside of generated precipitation at ground level. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Edited by -SkyRaider-
  • Like 2

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 - DCS: Yak-52 - DCS: M-2000C - DCS: F-16C Viper - DCS: A-10C II Tank Killer - DCS: F/A-18C Hornet - DCS: AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL - DCS: Supercarrier -

DCS: Mi-24P Hind - DCS: AH-64D Apache - DCS: Syria - DCS: Persian Gulf - DCS: Caucasus - DCS: Marianas - DCS: South Atlantic

Wishlist #1: Ground crew, vehicles and support equipment on busy Air Base platforms. Wishlist #2: Douglas A-4 Skyhawk (early series)

A-4.jpg

Lack of raw data must be a problem, how do you flesh out a map from the past without solid and consistent satellite imagery?  Even the time span of the war is too long with massive industrialization taking place in both North and South over long periods, the map won't be the same in 63, to 69, nor compared to 75.  Seems to be an issue with even the Guam sized map in the shorter period of WWII, that's a lot of leg work and risk for the level of fidelity many will be demanding.  There's no quick and easy way to do it, as it can be done more by machine in the current google maps era.  It's going to have to be painstakingly researched and laid out all by hand, with a big risk it won't be plausible to many.  

• Thanks 1