system failures

D500

• 2 months later...

Or maybe it is because fighter (Western) planes have been one of the safest machines in the world for several decades? For each hour of flight there are several to several hours of inspections, services, tests and verification of each of the systems. Maybe that's why it's not worth displaying in the game something that happens marginally, maybe in 0.1% of the flight time of these machines?

Before we start out argue whether it is worth it or not, it may be worth checking how many failures important for the safety of the machine and the pilot in fighter planes such as the F-15, F-16, F / A-18, M- 2000 etc., may to take place in statistic year of use them.

We put the number of hours flown example in the USAF during the year of such F-15s or F-16s and compare with the number of failures that threatened the machine and the pilot during the flight...

Maybe that's why people want more weapons, more systems working, more paint options, more realistic airframe behavior, landing gear, etc than simulated failures which are completely negligible from a game point of view.

1 hour ago, Nahen said:

Maybe that's why it's not worth displaying in the game something that happens marginally, maybe in 0.1% of the flight time of these machines?

Well, these almost fault-less western machines are sometimes hit during combat, damaging systems in unpredictable ways ... I want to be able to train on emergency procedures so that I know how to react to this combat damage ... System Failures simulation is crucial for this.

• Like 5

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Military equipment breaks, especially after getting older and abused, and this most of the time at the most inconvenient moment.

Not for any silly reasons spares are kept ready.

I think system failures and most important the correct modeling of the subsequent systems is needed. I'm too lazy to learn emergency procedures just yet, because it don't happens BUT l gladly would and also gladly would pass on any silly diddle diddle bomb to get all this.

So, bring it on and forget about the outer space star wars bombs and missiles for the time being. Let's break things instedt. Would even like to need to abord a squad mission for a faulty system. Making the decision of the airframe is still save to fly and combat worthy should be part of every flight. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lt_Jaeger said:

I'm too lazy to learn emergency procedures just yet, because it don't happens …

It happens, if you get any light combat damage.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

13 hours ago, Nahen said:

You want to add failures to them

They're going to be part of the module, I mean if you're in a dogfight and you get damaged, yet win - you still gotta land. 

Also, if you think there aren't failures - just look at the news, there was an F-15 that had to make an emergency landing recently due to a fuel leak, true that was an older model, but there's several others that make the news, hydraulics, engines going out, etc - just google "f-15 emergency" and you'll see. It's not uncommon, and pilots need to know how to deal with the problems, whether in non-combat or ferry or combat caused damage. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nahen said:

Half of those flying in DCS complain that they have to do full aligment on publics servers

MP pilots are such a whiny crowd … 🙄

• Like 2

I'm no fan of whining and complaining - for sure.

But I have sympathy for those who can only free a couple of hours in the week (from wife and kids and job e.g.) to go flying with some friends online. Pretty tough for them to go through all of the "true-to-life" stuff in the short time.

Live and let live.

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

On 11/11/2022 at 1:13 PM, Rudel_chw said:

Well, these almost fault-less western machines are sometimes hit during combat, damaging systems in unpredictable ways ... I want to be able to train on emergency procedures so that I know how to react to this combat damage ... System Failures simulation is crucial for this.

Exactly. Plus, even in peace time there's plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong. Birdstrikes, that fatigued longeron your girlfriend told you not to worry about, etc.

Just make it optional so people won't complain. If there was an airframe abuse counter, it would spice things up a little. Hashtag paddle switch.

• Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

4 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Exactly. Plus, even in peace time there's plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong. Birdstrikes, that fatigued longeron your girlfriend told you not to worry about, etc.

Just make it optional so people won't complain. If there was an airframe abuse counter, it would spice things up a little. Hashtag paddle switch.

"Over-G!, Over-G!"

Shut up, Betty! 🤣😂

• Like 2

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

5 hours ago, Hiob said:

I'm no fan of whining and complaining - for sure.

But I have sympathy for those who can only free a couple of hours in the week (from wife and kids and job e.g.) to go flying with some friends online. Pretty tough for them to go through all of the "true-to-life" stuff in the short time.

Live and let live.

I'm in that crowd of wife/kids/job.  I learned abbreviated procedures for startup for that reason.  IFA is your friend.

9 hours ago, Napillo said:

They're going to be part of the module, I mean if you're in a dogfight and you get damaged, yet win - you still gotta land. 

Also, if you think there aren't failures - just look at the news, there was an F-15 that had to make an emergency landing recently due to a fuel leak, true that was an older model, but there's several others that make the news, hydraulics, engines going out, etc - just google "f-15 emergency" and you'll see. It's not uncommon, and pilots need to know how to deal with the problems, whether in non-combat or ferry or combat caused damage. 

There was one that had a fuel leak problem, there was one that had a hydraulic problem, there was one that broke in half in flight... So what?
Maybe let's make a bet - after how much time everyone who gets optional damage and failures in a module that flies will turn it all off to just keep flying.
Since such a curiosity ... I will play a few times and then turn it off. In multiplayer PvE or PvP missions, it will always be disabled anyway. Why? because it generates problems, moreover, today there is such an option (random failures) in the mission editor, I wonder how many people use it?
Sure, so be it, but at the very end of the list of other much more important issues.

11 hours ago, Hiob said:

System Failures triggered by the Mission Editor are for Single Player use alone, they don't work on multiplayer, so no need for the MP crowd to get stressed about this.

3 hours ago, Nahen said:

today there is such an option (random failures) in the mission editor, I wonder how many people use it?

I don't need to use it, I get enough random failures anyway, as a consequence of enemy action, either flak or air-air gunfire. 

But I do want to have failures on demand, to train for emergency procedure use ... here is an example of this kind of training mission:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3307050/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spurts said:

that's the joy of "failures on demand", if you have no demand, you have no failures.  easy.

Somehow that doesn't appeal to me. I prefer to "fight" with a thinking man than with AI, even in the form of pixies dismantling my plane from the inside...

😄 😄

On 11/16/2022 at 10:02 AM, Nahen said:

(random failures) in the mission editor

I always play with random failures turned on, it keeps me on my toes, and the way the random failures work in the JF-17, the probability is based on the MTBF of the part. I've had my hydraulics go out once, engine died once, two fcs failures, once I'd just taken off, my hydraulics went out, I had to circle around and land again. It's not for everyone, but that's why you can turn it on/off.

• 1 month later...