Is it going to be worth going 3090 to 4090?

Digitalvole

NVIDIA sucks when it comes to selling 4090 FE.

I heard the AMD will announce the new line of GPU in Nov but they will only be available early next year. And you need to wait longer to see if they perform better, to my primary concern, in VR or not.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

30 minutes ago, BigBANGtheory said:

I looked at getting a Founders Edition but there were non for sale, usual Nvidia drip feed of product and no way to pre-order not exactly a customer friendly experience but I guess it will pickup in a few weeks and it gets ever closer to the AMD launch

Even today's release is trickled, they don't let it all out at once for some reason.  A friend of mine who missed out on the AM release was able to get one later in the afternoon.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

A guy on Varjo discord said he hits 80 fps at times from typical 40s, so that’s a bit encouraging considering the rendering res is quite high on the Aero even on the default setting but I won’t know for sure until I get to mess around with it myself.  I don’t really need 90 fps in DCS (would be nice to see), just want a rock solid 45 in all flying scenarios with locked frame…although having 100 fps in No Mans Sky or 200 in Elite Dangerous is also nice.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Crazy thing is I was on multiple waiting list back long ago for the 3090. Gave up finally. Maybe get on the 5090 list and be first??  
crazy how fast computers become obsolete but saved me $1500 plus

Edited by Mr. Big.Biggs
  • Like 1

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

17 minutes ago, Supmua said:

A guy on Varjo discord said he hits 80 fps at times from typical 40s, so that’s a bit encouraging considering the rendering res is quite high on the Aero even on the default setting but I won’t know for sure until I get to mess around with it myself.  I don’t really need 90 fps in DCS (would be nice to see), just want a rock solid 45 in all flying scenarios with locked frame…although having 100 fps in No Mans Sky or 200 in Elite Dangerous is also nice.

They have been pumping high fps/resolutions on varjo since it was released. Don’t believe it…

• Like 2

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

43 minutes ago, Supmua said:

I look forward to hearing your results when you have tested it with DCS.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

I look forward to hearing your results when you have tested it with DCS.

There’s someone here with 90 fps with the Samsung Odessey already, so it’s a matter of settings and rendering res.  I don’t think sustained 90 will be possible on the Aero unless you compromise image quality significantly but I’m eager to run some numbers for sure even though my CPU isn’t ideal at the moment.  I’m planning to upgrade to 13900K though but have to wait a few months since I already spent a lot recently (4090, 2TB Samsung 980pro NVME, Apple Watch Ultra, GPD Winmax 2 laptop, lol my wife will kill me when she sees the bills).

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

Just whining, there is no sale here in the UK, FE or AIB alike. NVIDIA store gives "Assess denied" error from time to time.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Just whining, there is no sale here in the UK, FE or AIB alike. NVIDIA store gives "Assess denied" error from time to time.

I’d stay away from NIVIDIA store, check resellers or large electronic stores.  First day release is always like this but you’ll get one eventually.  I just saw Asus ROG Strix listed on Amazon 3rd party seller/scalper for $4299.99 which is ridiculous.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Supmua said:

I’d stay away from NIVIDIA store, check resellers or large electronic stores.  First day release is always like this but you’ll get one eventually.  I just saw Asus ROG Strix listed on Amazon 3rd party seller/scalper for $4299.99 which is ridiculous.

Thanks I am not in any rush and I wish to have a FE only for the price.

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

Yep and that is why cards are going to be hard to get this go around.. Scalpers grabbing them up.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

10 hours ago, Supmua said:

There’s someone here with 90 fps with the Samsung Odessey already, so it’s a matter of settings and rendering res.  I don’t think sustained 90 will be possible on the Aero unless you compromise image quality significantly but I’m eager to run some numbers for sure even though my CPU isn’t ideal at the moment.  I’m planning to upgrade to 13900K though but have to wait a few months since I already spent a lot recently (4090, 2TB Samsung 980pro NVME, Apple Watch Ultra, GPD Winmax 2 laptop, lol my wife will kill me when she sees the bills).

Being how I am still running my 9900k with no plan on upgrading the system for at least another year or so I will be really glad to see how it does for you with your 9900k.

Don B

Just now, dburne said:

Being how I am still running my 9900k with no plan on upgrading the system for at least another year or so I will be really glad to see how it does for you with your 9900k.

Don I think most of your flyings will be fine with the 9900K unless you play in a crowded MP server, since my CPU frametime is never above 22 ms unless I fly directly near populated supercarrier.  It was mostly my GPU frametime that would spike in to high 20s or 30s in those situations.

• Like 1

Just now, Supmua said:

Don I think most of your flyings will be fine with the 9900K unless you play in a crowded MP server, since my CPU frametime is never above 22 ms unless I fly directly near populated supercarrier.  It was mostly my GPU frametime that would spike in to high 20s or 30s in those situations.

Yeah just all single player for me and have not been what I would call struggling running the sim.

Thanks,

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Yeah just all single player for me and have not been what I would call struggling running the sim.

Thanks,

I mostly play SP as well, and sometimes I hosted with 2-3 other guys.  My CPU hasn't really been a problem and I either have fpsVR or OXRTK window on all the time to track performance.

13 hours ago, Supmua said:

I just don't tell the wife... Better that way.

• Like 1

I could easily afford a 4090 card, I am not buying one on principal  Nvidia are totally taking the P when it comes to pricing on these next gen cards

Maybe if enough people did this they might consider reducing their prices, but if enough people buy them it does not bode well for the future

• Like 5

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

46 minutes ago, HC_Official said:

I could easily afford a 4090 card, I am not buying one on principal  Nvidia are totally taking the P when it comes to pricing on these next gen cards

Maybe if enough people did this they might consider reducing their prices, but if enough people buy them it does not bode well for the future

Yeah still resisting here. My 3090  card still running quite well for me.

• Like 1

Don B

I’m in watch and wait mode at the moment,but, the price performance is honestly similar to that of a 3090, the absolute cost is still quite eye watering …  but I don’t think it’s bad value.

so why wait? A few reasons:

- couldn’t find one

- I’m genuinely interested to see what the 4080ti and sisters comparison will be to the 3090.

- finally most of the time I can reach a steady frame time with oxr and my existing 3090.

will I get a new card, I likely will but it doesn’t “need” to be today, unlike when I upgraded from my 1080ti.

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I am in the wait mode by default -- waiting for the components to get cheaper, may be, on Cyber Monday.

Funny though, I check NVIDIA shop just then and, you know what, there are AIBs too, and the price is...better wait for the benchmarks and reviews:

https://store.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/store/gpu/?page=2&limit=9&locale=en-us&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 4090&gpu_filter=RTX 4090~12,RTX 3090 Ti~2,RTX 3090~4,RTX 3080 Ti~3,RTX 3080~4,RTX 3070 Ti~2,RTX 3070~2,RTX 3060 Ti~2,RTX 3060~0,RTX 3050 Ti~0,RTX 3050~2,RTX 2080 SUPER~0,RTX 2070 SUPER~0,RTX 2060~1,GTX 1660 Ti~1,GTX 1650 Ti~0,GTX 1650~1

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

I’m in watch and wait mode at the moment,but, the price performance is honestly similar to that of a 3090, the absolute cost is still quite eye watering …  but I don’t think it’s bad value.

so why wait? A few reasons:

- couldn’t find one

- I’m genuinely interested to see what the 4080ti and sisters comparison will be to the 3090.

- finally most of the time I can reach a steady frame time with oxr and my existing 3090.

will I get a new card, I likely will but it doesn’t “need” to be today, unlike when I upgraded from my 1080ti.

The 4080 16GB has better fps than 3090Ti in recently leaked game benchmarks, and this is not simply synthetic benchmarks.  So it’s a faster card plus DLSS3 and better raytracing, just lower amount of VRAM.  But I still think the 4090 is the better bang for bucks especially for VR with significant shift in performance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

I am in the wait mode by default -- waiting for the components to get cheaper, may be, on Cyber Monday.

Funny though, I check NVIDIA shop just then and, you know what, there are AIBs too, and the price is...better wait for the benchmarks and reviews:

https://store.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/store/gpu/?page=2&limit=9&locale=en-us&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 4090&gpu_filter=RTX 4090~12,RTX 3090 Ti~2,RTX 3090~4,RTX 3080 Ti~3,RTX 3080~4,RTX 3070 Ti~2,RTX 3070~2,RTX 3060 Ti~2,RTX 3060~0,RTX 3050 Ti~0,RTX 3050~2,RTX 2080 SUPER~0,RTX 2070 SUPER~0,RTX 2060~1,GTX 1660 Ti~1,GTX 1650 Ti~0,GTX 1650~1

Strangely, the prices on there for the AIB units look like they are exclusive of VAT, as the TUF OC price is what I paid EX Vat from OC in the UK...or it's the OC margin!

• Like 2

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero