Feedback Thread - F-14 Tomcat patch 28th Oct 2022

IronMike

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

Chaff and flare in the Tomcat must be selected through the ground crew comms menu, due to the nature of the cartridges. This has been like that since release, and while sometimes one can get away with it to do it with the sliders, it usually creates issues.

The Comms menu (ground crew) only configs the jets internal AN/ALE-39 load-out. The sliders in the arming screen include adjusting the load-outs in the the wing mounted LAU-138 missile rails which add additional countermeasures.

The sliders have been working for a log time. They died after this patch.

Could anyone enlighten me in the following, please.

- With the last patch, when doing a Case 1 Carrier Landing with the F-14 ;

- if I land with a little bit more of vertical speed than recommended ;

- I do receive the message :

" Forrestal damaged 1 % "

... seems pointless to me, the F-14 itself wasn't damaged in any way in that landing; how could the Carrier be damaged at 1 % ??

Edited by Top Jockey

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

12 minutes ago, Top Jockey said:

Could anyone enlighten me in the following, please.

- With the last patch, when doing a Case 1 Carrier Landing with the F-14 ;

- if I land with a little bit more of vertical speed than recommended ;

- I do receive the message :

" Forrestal damaged 1 % "

... seems pointless to me, the F-14 itself wasn't damaged in any way in that landing; how could the Carrier be damaged at 1 % ??

that's a bug, you can disregard it, well, until you landed 100 times in a row 😄 but it is known.

• Like 4

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

1 minute ago, IronMike said:

that's a bug, you can disregard it, well, until you landed 100 times in a row 😄 but it is known.

Oh I see.

Was thinking if it could be some kind of 'easter eggs' or something.

(Because, having 1500+ Carrier Landings between the F-14 A and B, and being myself the very best F-14 Pilot in the world, it would be impossible for me to do such a poor landing and all...)

• Like 2

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

2 hours ago, 4H_Ccrashh said:

The Comms menu (ground crew) only configs the jets internal AN/ALE-39 load-out. The sliders in the arming screen include adjusting the load-outs in the the wing mounted LAU-138 missile rails which add additional countermeasures.

The sliders have been working for a log time. They died after this patch.

The LAU-138, currently, is purely chaff and is always there unless unchecked within the mission editor. You cannot change the amount of chaff in the LAU-138s. Changing the CMs with the sliders in rearm menu didn't really do much and just caused issues for everything. Also HB pls give me the MJU-52/B flare cartridges and ability to mount LAU-138s on the B stations.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

1 hour ago, 4H_Ccrashh said:

Ok , good to know. Thanks.

So I'm thinking if I want more flares,  can set the AN/ALE-39 to all flares and let the 138's take care of chaff?

Yep. You just have to use the Ground Crew menu and then "Select ALE-39 Loadout" and then choose 60 flares / 0 chaffs (Karon's article does pretty well explaining the process behind loading the ALE-39 in DCS). I think the all flares in the ALE-39 and then the 40 chaff in the LAU-138 is a stock option that most server's F-14s are set to however.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

Dumb question after my first night flight in a while: Is there no illumination for the turn/slip indicator? I thought that would be somewhat vital given its prominent position (and standard/half-standard rate turns in CASE 3 Marshal), but the console/instrument/ACM lights don't seem to light it up. Normal or bug?

15 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Dumb question after my first night flight in a while: Is there no illumination for the turn/slip indicator? I thought that would be somewhat vital given its prominent position (and standard/half-standard rate turns in CASE 3 Marshal), but the console/instrument/ACM lights don't seem to light it up. Normal or bug?

I also noticed that a couple of days ago on a night flight

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 6:19 PM, IronMike said:

We discussed this internally, and since no one else here experiences this, try re-calibrating your hotas. It could have to do something with your stick fwiw.

I recalibrated my flight-stick and this did the trick.  Deadzones set back to zero.  Thanks for your help @IronMike & @lunaticfringe  .

Having a few freezes lately though:

dcs.log

Edited by JupiterJoe

6 hours ago, JupiterJoe said:

I recalibrated my flight-stick and this did the trick.  Deadzones set back to zero.  Thanks for your help @IronMike & @lunaticfringe  .

Having a few freezes lately though:

dcs.log 156.77 kB · 0 downloads

Great to hear, and thanks for the log.

On another note, this was missing from the Hotfix changelog today:

DCS: F-14 Tomcat by Heatblur Simulations - Hotfix November 2nd 2022

• Fixed CTD when using LANTIRN in point track.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Two things I've noticed so far -- haven't tried with today's update yet:

1. Uncommanded rolls upon engaging ground track heading hold autopilot at higher altitudes (~30k feet) in otherwise level flight. Works fine at lower altitudes. Altitude hold seems to work fine.
  2. Very large pixellation of something where the canopy joins the fuselage. Look to the side from inside the cockpit at night with the flashlight. Minor / cosmetic issue that I just noticed, probably not new.

Freeze issue remains.

Edited by Nobody Special

14 hours ago, IronMike said:
Fixed CTD when using LANTIRN in point track.

Thanks.

I don't know if this is in relation with the 2.8 patch, but when I switch from rio seat to pilot seat, Jester lose/modify the selected unit chosen by me in rio seat with aera track or point track (and lantirn trigger full action) . Watching the recording I made doesn't make sense, I can't give you a track.

Edited by Shadok

• 2 weeks later...
  • IronMike unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 11/1/2022 at 8:32 PM, IronMike said:

I'm assuming that this still isn't fixed? Because I am seeing it in the stable 2.8 too.

Also off topic but did the Forrestal get the improved longer supercarrier wake?

This is currently Forrestal's wake:

forrestal wake.jpg

15 minutes ago, Endline said:

Also off topic but did the Forrestal get the improved longer supercarrier wake?

It's core DCS effect for all ships.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to feedback on this item from older update:

• Potential fix for mission freeze including F-14 AI. 

Before patch 1 in 3 flights would freeze about 45 minutes in.  I’d never fly more than a 40 minute sortie in case of losing results (I fly DCS Liberation campaigns)

Since that patch, the last few months, not had one single freeze,  flying sorties of several hours with no issues at all.
That fix was a game changer.

Just wanted to say well done, and thanks, for finding and fixing that issue!  

• 4 months later...
Am 28.10.2022 um 23:09 schrieb sirrah:

Definitely not a big issue and not sure if this bug came with 2.8 or if it was already there, but the canopy rain drops do not flow naturally.

Drops on the front wind shield go from left to right. On the sides of the canopy, in some areas the raindrops move up.

This is still a thing obviously. Just wondered if i´m drunk but it seems it´s just a forgotten bug 🙂

Edited by Jel

When in doubt - climb. Nobody ever collided with air.