RNAV totally showing wrong direction, distance correct

gulredrel
Go to solution Solved by gulredrel,

Hello,

with the last open beta the RNAV Navigation bearing indication is totally wrong. Was completely lost in Syria map yesterday with my mission editor flight plan.

Tried alignment with typing in initial coordinates as well auto alignment which should use GPS. Present position shows strange values afterwards, but this should be a known issue.

At this time at the beginning of November, Waypoint heading information was correct. It was only a problem with the presentation of present position on the CDU discplay.

Now with current OB DCS/2.8.1.34667 WP navigation using CDU is completely usesless. The bearing indication is totally wrong. Distance looks okay.

I created a simple test mission air start flight plan with known WP over TACANs in Caucasus.

WP1 is over Kobuleti

RNAV to WP1 shows bearing of 352, switching NAV source to Kobuleti TACAN 67X shows bearing 110, which is correct with the map

Screen_221223_102351_RNAV_Kobuleti_BRG35   Screen_221223_102408_TACAN_Kob_BRG110.jp

Screen_221223_102440_map_brg_Kob.jpg?raw

WP2 is over Batumi

Same here, RNAV bearing is 047 but TACAN 16X is located bearing 166.

Screen_221223_102557_RNAV_Batumi_BRG047.   Screen_221223_102553_TACAN_Batumi_BRG166

Distances are the same for TACAN and RNAV waypoints, so whatever is wrong is bearing indication and display on the CDU.

I'm a bit concerned here. Normally I'm waiting for stable release version, but was very interested in this aircraft so I bought it on day one. Especially te CDU integration with own data card file support is a nice addition. I've now discovered quite a few bugs. Dev reports were great so I was hoping to get enjoyable hours in this bird but instead invested quite a few hours in finding quirks or trying to find if it was my fault before writing reports. I know it's open beta, but it's a bit... I would have rather enjoyed just flying in my spare time.

Nevertheless, looking forward when things get polished.

Thanks

Jens

MB-339_20221223_RNAV_wrong_direction.trk

Edited by gulredrel
track file attached
  • Like 2

Same here too.

I thought it was a GPS alignment problem or something I forgot to do during startup but after several attempts following the procedure step by step I had to give up on the idea that something is wrong.

I also noticed (but I ask other users to confirm it), that in the DATA2 page the current waypoint Longitude is reported as empty (e.g. "../../..")

Edited by LordOrion

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

My Blog (Italian): Notti a (Video)Giocare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

12 minutes ago, LordOrion said:

DATA2 page the current waypoint Longitude is reported as empty (e.g. "../../..")

What map were you flying at? Nevada or South Atlantic, maybe? Noticed the western coordinates not being displayed some while ago. At least it was only a display problem. You could use western coordinates as described here with previous patches. Currently the faulty RNAV is map independent:

• 4 weeks later...

+1 SA map and Caucasus map , latest open beta - I have waypoints loaded in ME.  Distance is correct but bearing to waypoint is nonsense.  Every time I reload exactly the same .miz file it comes up with a different incorrect bearing to the selected STEER WPT.  Hot start or cold start (using the alignment procedure described in the tutorial videos) - doesn't matter - same behavior.

• Like 2

Guys, this issue is present from near two months, quiet important function. Pls solve it. TY!

• Like 2

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Am 3.2.2023 um 20:40 schrieb 6S.Duke:

thanks for reporting, we will fix hopefully with next update.

Hopefully 🙂

There´s no substitute for ADF Navigation without it - or is it ? VORs are not present everywhere, not to speak about Tacan. That leaves me using map and stopwatch, just like in the old days 🙂 

When in doubt - climb. Nobody ever collided with air.

52 minutes ago, Jel said:

Hopefully 🙂

There´s no substitute for ADF Navigation without it - or is it ? VORs are not present everywhere, not to speak about Tacan. That leaves me using map and stopwatch, just like in the old days 🙂 

You can still place mobile TACAN units around 😛

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

RDF 3rd Fighter Squadron - "Black Knights": "Ar Cavajere Nero nun je devi cacà er cazzo!"

CPU: i7-11700K@5GHz|GPU: RTX-4070 Super|RAM: 64GB DDR4@3200MHz|SSD: 2x 970EVO Plus + 980 EVO Plus|HOTAS Warthog|TrackIR 5|

2 hours ago, Jel said:

Ah of course. And if my dad had wheels he would be a motorcycle.

... and if my grandfather smoked the pipe it would be a little train.

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

Ah i should´ve put up the sarcasm sign first. Thanks for the video but i already know how to 🙂 - was just trying to avoid having to cover Caucasus with TCN Beacons and use the existing NDBs instead.

Edited by Jel
  • Like 1

Hopefully
There´s no substitute for ADF Navigation without it - or is it ? VORs are not present everywhere, not to speak about Tacan. That leaves me using map and stopwatch, just like in the old days  
Adf is not available in MLU variant, which is the one simulated in DCS

Inviato dal mio ASUS_I005D utilizzando Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Am 16.2.2023 um 06:33 schrieb Gigafiga:

Look likes the rnav brg is linked to the north and not to the heading of the plane. If I fly north, brg is correct, any other heading, the brg change. Range always correct.

seems like. You can use this as a small workaround until the bug is fixed. 

28 minutes ago, 6S.Duke said:

Yes, it is under tracking

Inviato dal mio ASUS_I005D utilizzando Tapatalk

Ca we hope for a fix in the next OB update?

Black+Knights_Small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...