DCS size !

killerwhale

15 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

The MiG-21 is one of the DCS aircraft that comes with lots of liveries, 75 of them in fact ... 4 of them are fictional Swedish and RAF liveries ... they use 70-80 KB each .. are you really so strapped for disk space that 0.3 MB is actually gonna make a difference? 

I don't mind those liveries being there, even if I don't personally use them on my missions, as I'm sure there are swedish and UK players that do in fact enjoy them .. .who am I to take those away from those players?

Why don't you just bite the bullet and purchase a larger drive? We are almost on 2023, a 256 GB SSD drive doesn't cut it any longer.

No, I'm not. That was just an example of modules that have these unnecessary fictional country skins. I have 1TB M.2 drive for DCS but it's pointless to have those since the game keeps just bloating.

28 minutes ago, Blinde said:

these unnecessary fictional country skins

just because you want to use only historically accurate skins on your dcs, doesn't mean that other users dont like them, for example I have used a fictional US skin on my Blackshark 3 .. please don’t impose your tastes on others, I prefer choice and variety.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 12/29/2022 at 10:45 PM, killerwhale said:

Ok so now DCS world needs a hard drive of its own? this game is headed for 300 GB drive space, where is DCS going with this? into one terabyte?

I remember buying my 240GB SSD just for DCS. That oughta to be enough!  Pffffft  🤐 🙄

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I think it would be nice to have an option available to store modules on different local storage. A HDD or NAS for example. That way you don't need massive SSD's but also don't have to donwload for ages when you want to use a map or plane you don't have on the ssd right now. Would be nice if something like that could be added to the module manager. Add a cache directory and you can move maps and modules between the cache and your ssd as you need them, manually but DCS keeps track of what is stored where.

9 hours ago, Mike_Romeo said:

I didn't know that. But while it does go in the direction I mean, I imagined a bit more. It would be nice to manage that all from within DCS, without handling symlinks etc. Also it would be nice if the cache would be kept up to date with the rest of DCS. I imagine you want to play South Atlantic that is kept current with the normal updater. DCS tells you it's in the cache with a symbol in the main menu. You right click and select "move to play storage" and DCS checks if sufficient space is available. If not it tells you and asks you to select maps and modules to move to the cache to free up space. In the module manager it could ask which storage to download to, when you have to pull it from the DCS Servers.

Sure one can do all that manually (except for keeping the cache up to date). But it would be a nice QOL feature I think.

3 hours ago, Cathnan said:

Sure one can do all that manually (except for keeping the cache up to date).

Actually, the symlinks are transparent to DCS, so its updater will automatically update those files that are not on the main installation folder.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

2 hours ago, Cathnan said:

I imagine you want to play South Atlantic that is kept current with the normal updater. DCS tells you it's in the cache with a symbol in the main menu. You right click and select "move to play storage" and DCS checks if sufficient space is available. If not it tells you and asks you to select maps and modules to move to the cache to free up space. In the module manager it could ask which storage to download to, when you have to pull it from the DCS Servers.

Sure one can do all that manually (except for keeping the cache up to date). But it would be a nice QOL feature I think.

This isn't exactly what you are asking for but it is in the same spirit: I keep a mostly unplayed copy of DCS stable with all modules I own on my large but slow hard drive. I keep it up to date. I've noticed that when updating the openbeta version the updater will look first at that installation for files common across the two versions before trying to download other files. This means that when I want to "move" a module onto the fast SSD where DCS openbeta lives, all I need to do is select it in the openbeta module manager and the installer copies it from the other drive. This won't work for modules that differ significantly between the two versions. But for maps that should not be much of a problem since they do not update very often.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Funny, I just logged on the forum to start a thread for this (soon to be) problem.

I have only base map and free modules + FC3 + Mig21 installed and it's 132GB!!!

I run a Windirstat on the main DCS folder and it states subfolder coremods is taking 90GB alone. Top subfolder in it is aircraft\f14 with 14,6GB, second place MirageF1 with "only" 8,7GB .

THOSE ARE MODULES I DON'T EVEN OWN and are wasting space on my drive with their liveries I don't care about!

Whole terrain nullmap for Caucasus is 16,8GB, a plane take away more space than the full map... What's going on?

image.png

59 minutes ago, kampf said:

I run a Windirstat on the main DCS folder and it states subfolder coremods is taking 90GB alone. Top subfolder in it is aircraft\f14 with 14,6GB, second place MirageF1 with "only" 8,7GB .

THOSE ARE MODULES I DON'T EVEN OWN and are wasting space on my drive with their liveries I don't care about!

If you go onto a Multiplayer server and some other player is flying one of those other aircrafts that you don't care about, then DCS needs to be able to represent them on your game, hence why you have them on CoreMods.

• Like 1

Delete the liveries you don't want and it will only use the default basic one. You guys act like this is rocket science or something. And you don't need to install every map you own simultaneously, only the ones you are using. People whinge about the most ridiculous things around here. You can get a multi-terrabyte drive for $50. Instead of dropping $2000 on a scalped GPU or $500 on an elite flight controller, spend a fraction of that on your storage capacity.

• Like 3

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

My install is 266Gb now with just 4 maps and two planes. That's ridiculous since I don't play multi. I spent enough for my new system. I'm not buying more SSD. I have to limit the games I install because of hogs like DCS.

• Like 2

Buzz

1 hour ago, BuzzU said:

I spent enough for my new system. I'm not buying more SSD

You purchased a new system that can't handle a 266 GB game?   

DCS does provide system requirements for every Map on their e-store description, you could have easily checked the space requirements before getting a new system. 

On 1/6/2023 at 8:26 PM, Mars Exulte said:

Delete the liveries you don't want and it will only use the default basic one. You guys act like this is rocket science or something. 

Oh c'mon. As a veteran here you know very well this particular advice is pretty useless. The updater will try do download all of them again next time the patch is up. Thus user still needs this extra disc space even if only temporarily for completing the update.

• Like 3

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

6 hours ago, Art-J said:

Oh c'mon. As a veteran here you know very well this particular advice is pretty useless.

I could write a BAT file and do it with a single click. Would take about 15 seconds to do. ''This would require me actually have agency and take a modicum of initiative'' @@

6 hours ago, Art-J said:

The updater will try do download all of them again next time the patch is up. Thus user still needs this extra disc space even if only temporarily for completing the update.

I know, doesn't change the fact this problem is extremely minuscule in general.

4TB harddrive for $50. 1TB SSD for $60. Even if you're on a tight budget, this problem is not that hard to deal with. Storage is stupidly cheap. Stupidly, inexcusably cheap.

I'm reminded of a guy who came through here whinging about dropping $2000 on a prebuilt and then his GAMEPORT JOYSTICK from 20+ years ago wouldn't work with it and he was adamant he couldn't afford the $40 for a cheapo made in the last decade.

You're seriously going to claim people can afford $40-80 for an imaginary airplane, but $50 so they have someplace to put it is a bridge too far?

12 hours ago, BuzzU said:

My install is 266Gb now with just 4 maps and two planes. That's ridiculous since I don't play multi. I spent enough for my new system. I'm not buying more SSD. I have to limit the games I install because of hogs like DCS.

You can only use one map at a time, if you're THAT tight for storage, you don't need all of them at once. The base game is not some monolithic creature, regardless of how many liveries there are. Nobody stuck a gun to your head and demanded you download their entire library. In fact, that is one of the key advantages of a MODULAR system, you can pick and choose.

Edited by Mars Exulte
  • Like 2

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

7 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

I could write a BAT file and do it with a single click. Would take about 15 seconds to do. ''This would require me actually have agency and take a modicum of initiative'' @@

I know, doesn't change the fact this problem is extremely minuscule in general.

4TB harddrive for $50. 1TB SSD for $60. Even if you're on a tight budget, this problem is not that hard to deal with. Storage is stupidly cheap. Stupidly, inexcusably cheap.

I'm reminded of a guy who came through here whinging about dropping $2000 on a prebuilt and then his GAMEPORT JOYSTICK from 20+ years ago wouldn't work with it and he was adamant he couldn't afford the $40 for a cheapo made in the last decade.

You're seriously going to claim people can afford $40-80 for an imaginary airplane, but $50 so they have someplace to put it is a bridge too far?

You can only use one map at a time, if you're THAT tight for storage, you don't need all of them at once. The base game is not some monolithic creature, regardless of how many liveries there are. Nobody stuck a gun to your head and demanded you download their entire library. In fact, that is one of the key advantages of a MODULAR system, you can pick and choose.

I bought the maps because the campaigns I bought were on them. I have campaigns at different stages on those maps. Deleting the maps to make room for other games won't work. I don't have a problem installing what I want to use in DCS. I have a problem having enough room for other games. Especially, if they use the same system as DCS and install content I didn't buy.

I bought a prebuilt system from Maingear. It only has a 500Gb SSD and a 1TB HD. I never put anything on a HD. I'm self taught with computers and really don't want to get into working on it. I wouldn't have always bought built gaming systems if I wanted to work on them. Even a simple thing as adding another SSD or swapping in a bigger one. I also need to add somemore ram and i'm hesitating doing it. It looks like I have to remove the radiator to add ram and i'm not thrilled with the idea. It's not that I don't have mechanical ability. I was an auto mechanic for decades. However, i'm 80 years old now and my fingers don't work like they used to. I don't really want to be fumbling around in my system.

So, things aren't as simple as you make them sound for everybody.

• Like 3

Buzz

1 hour ago, BuzzU said:

However, i'm 80 years old now and my fingers don't work like they used to. I don't really want to be fumbling around in my system.

So, things aren't as simple as you make them sound for everybody.

Yes, you have a point there ... one tends to forget that not anyone can perform their own upgrades and while a current drive may be cheap, the added expense of having a technician install it can add a lot to the cost of the upgrade.

I used to enjoy tinkering with my PC, but now I'm over 60 and I have realized that I much prefer to spend my time flying on DCS than disassembling my PC, so I fully understand your view. Seems to me that you will need to place your less demanding games on the HDD rather than attempting to cram everything on the SSD.

Best regards,

Eduardo

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rudel_chw said:

Yes, you have a point there ... one tends to forget that not anyone can perform their own upgrades and while a current drive may be cheap, the added expense of having a technician install it can add a lot to the cost of the upgrade.

I used to enjoy tinkering with my PC, but now I'm over 60 and I have realized that I much prefer to spend my time flying on DCS than disassembling my PC, so I fully understand your view. Seems to me that you will need to place your less demanding games on the HDD rather than attempting to cram everything on the SSD.

Best regards,

Eduardo

Thanks for understanding. I really need to decide what I want to do and then the problem will go away. At my age DCS is a struggle. However, it's all I want to do now. So, i'll retire from racing sims and hunting sims too. Then I need to concentrate on just one plane. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Hornet and Hog. Both are complex but they're the two I like. Which one do you think is easier to master?

Once I decide that my SSD is plenty big enough. Then i'll have to decide if I want to add the ram myself. I live in a small mountain town in the Colorado Rockies. Great for hunting and fly fishing but there's no computer tech near me. I'll have to just dig in and get it done.

Buzz

57 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Hornet and Hog. Both are complex but they're the two I like. Which one do you think is easier to master?

For me, the A-10C was easier, since it doesn't have a radar with all its complexity, but the Hornet was more enjoyable as it allows fir more diverse missions with its air-air capability and carrier operations … my vote is for the Hornet 🙂

57 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Once I decide that my SSD is plenty big enough. Then i'll have to decide if I want to add the ram myself. I live in a small mountain town in the Colorado Rockies. Great for hunting and fly fishing but there's no computer tech near me. I'll have to just dig in and get it done.

in principle, adding ram should be a very easy task, but there are pitfalls, like:

- memory incompatibility with the existing ram, to be 100% sure be sure to purchase the exact same modules, also make sure that you do have memory slots free

- sometimes the cpu cooler gets in the way, forcing you to remove before placing the ram, in such a case be sure to purchase cooling paste as the existing cooler paste should not be re-used. To facilitate removing the cooler, turn on the pc for a while before the upgrade, as a warm cooler is easier to remove without taking the processor with it .. never just pull the cooler, instead twist it back and forth in a parallel plane to separate it cleanly from the processor 

- when working on the pc, dont just turn it off, but remove its ac power cord also.

• Like 2

Yes, i'll buy the ram from Maingear. I'll pay more for it but i'll know it will match what I have. I have two slots open. so no problem. As for the radiator. It doesn't look like I need to completely remove it. The hoses have enough slack so I can just pull it away from the ram and install the new ram. At least that's what i'm hoping. 

• Like 1

Buzz

Rudel............. A quick question. MAINGEAR wants $120 for the ram. I remember that from when I bought the system.

In the description of the system I bought. This is what it says about the ram.

16GB Kingston Fury RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory (2x8GB)

I don't know why they used so little ram for a 5900x-3080FE system but they did.

Is this the right ram?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1661632-REG/kingston_fury_beast_rgb_16gb.html

I like buying from BH Photo. They have good prices and give free 2 day shipping.

edit.........Another option is instead of getting two 8g I can get two 16GB for a little more money. I'll know they'll match and in the future I could add another 32GB. Good plan or should I just stick with 32GB for a total. I just do SP flying.

Edited by BuzzU

Buzz

14 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

I could write a BAT file and do it with a single click. Would take about 15 seconds to do. ''This would require me actually have agency and take a modicum of initiative'' 

You can write a batch file that will prevent the next update from failing when it tries to redownload and install the unwanted files and finds there isn't enough room? That would be a good trick. Please take the 15 seconds and show us how. I'm serious.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

15 minutes ago, BuzzU said:

Rudel............. A quick question. MAINGEAR wants $120 for the ram. I remember that from when I bought the system.

In the description of the system I bought. This is what it says about the ram.

16GB Kingston Fury RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory (2x8GB)

I don't know why they used so little ram for a 5900x-3080FE system but they did.

unfortunately, most pre-built systems skimp on some items in order to deliver a more attractive price: typically install minimum ram amount, using two smaller dimms instead of one larger (two dims are slightly speedier as they can transfer twice the data on the same time, but the smaller dimms get obsolete quicker), and using smallish storage drives.

Its not identical, but most likely its close enough to not cause compatibility issues.

I like buying from BH Photo. They have good prices and give free 2 day shipping.

yes, they are a very serious store, I have purchased photo equipment from them, both on-line and on a couple trips of mine to NY .. they dont open on saturdays as they are jew-owned. Never have had a problem with them, and they also sell used photo gear.

edit.........Another option is instead of getting two 8g I can get two 16GB for a little more money. I'll know they'll match and in the future I could add another 32GB. Good plan or should I just stick with 32GB for a total. I just do SP flying.

this is a much better option, as you get identical dimms and leave free slots for future expansion. You can also try to sell your current ram as used, to recover part of the upgrade cost, tough don't know if in your area is that feasible.

cheers!

You really should go 64 if possible.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk