Problem starting the right engine since the last hot fix patch.

Thunderchief2000
Go to solution Solved by sirrah,

Hi, is anyone else having a problem with starting the right engine?

since the mini patch (although it is a bit random so it might have been the patch before) both in my own missions and in the new Mad campaign. The right engine does not start.  However some times it does. 

my method, 

battery on

apu on

check throttles to cut off (I use a warthog throttle for the left and right engines)

Press the start on the left engine, engage idle at 20percent.  Engine starts fine

press the start on the right engine, engage idle at 20percent, engine rises to 50percent and the starter clicks off as normal, but then the engine just starts to die. Never getting above 55percent.  

however some times it works fine, at least in my own missions.

let me know if I’m doing some thing wrong.

cheers.

• Like 2

• Solution

I saw a similar report on the new Stone Sky campaign sub forum, with this "temporary" solution:

Please try the following: after starting engine 1, throttle it up to flight mode from idle.
Then start engine 2. It should start OK.

(Haven't been able to test/try for myself yet)

I'm sure ED will fix the issue soon.

• Like 2

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

1 minute ago, sirrah said:

I saw a similar report on the new Stone Sky campaign sub forum, with this "temporary" solution:

Please try the following: after starting engine 1, throttle it up to flight mode from idle.

Thanks I will give it a try

• Like 1

No you are not doing anything wrong. This issue is at least since latest big update (on Beta) - if you search the forum you will find older reports of that as well - it was cured and is now introduced again. What the older reports suggest (like collective is not detected as 0 seems not valid, so don´t fiddle around with setting axis or deadzone. Tested does not work.
What works is during the startup of Nr2: bring the power lever Nr 2 out of idle until ng passes the "magic" 52%. This of course is not per manual and clearly a bug.
Others raise the collective (which triggers warnings) until Ng passes 52%. Others do what sirrah posted.All is only a workaround to get it in the air.

I am surprised not to find more reports on that because we (on a MP server) have it regularily now. Maybe ppl mostly have hotstarted aircraft 🙂
And now.... no track dear ED stuff. Why.....it does not occur every time so it´s hard to track.
Hopefully someone has ist recorded...

Edited by docWilly
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

So I haven't had this problem before. What I noticed yesterday when I started playing the MAD AH-64d campaign: I'm doing a cold start. And it doesn't matter whether I activate the battery or via ground current: When I press a button, the IHADSS is not activated. I'm following the startup procedure step-by-step as described in Chuck's Guide (Primary Cockpit Lights CTRL Knob is set to BRT). I finished the campaign and created a mission using the mission editor quick and dirty. And tried the same thing again as described above. With the same result. Then DCS terminated and restarted. After that, this phenomenon did not occur. Will keep watching.

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

2 minutes ago, kotor633 said:

So I haven't had this problem before. What I noticed yesterday when I started playing the MAD AH-64d campaign: I'm doing a cold start. And it doesn't matter whether I activate the battery or via ground current: When I press a button, the IHADSS is not activated. I'm following the startup procedure step-by-step as described in Chuck's Guide (Primary Cockpit Lights CTRL Knob is set to BRT). I finished the campaign and created a mission using the mission editor quick and dirty. And tried the same thing again as described above. With the same result. Then DCS terminated and restarted. After that, this phenomenon did not occur. Will keep watching.

Now this is something else then the turbine Nr2 problem

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

Doesn’t have problems starting the engines after recently OB Patch. Both engines start fine for me.

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) - Kola — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

16 minutes ago, sirrah said:

Just tried this and it works for the first mission of the mad campaign.

I noticed that I was wrong in my first post, in the mad campaign, when starting the right engine, the percent does not go above 45, so the starter never turns off.

well this work around will keep me going for now anyway.

cheers.

8 minutes ago, corbu1 said:

Doesn’t have problems starting the engines after recently OB Patch. Both engines start fine for me.

I think it might have to do with weather conditions of the mission, do you have the mad campaign?  If so try the first mission.

54 minutes ago, docWilly said:

Marked as solved??? Not really.  And it´s not dependent by weather.

The green forum "solved" mark, does not mean the bug is fixed, but only that the OP's question is answered (in this case with a temporary workaround) 😉

ED's official thread marks (e.g. "reported", "can't reproduce", "track file missing", etc.) look like this:

Screenshot_20230128_192029_Chrome.jpg

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Thunderchief2000:

I think it might have to do with weather conditions of the mission, do you have the mad campaign?  If so try the first mission.

Yes, I have the MAD AH64 campaign, but not played yet. Will check it tomorrow.

DCS MT 2.9.4.53707
Modules: UH-1H - SA342 - KA-50 BS3 - MI-24P - MI-8MTV2 - AH-64D - CH-47F(Preorder) - UH-60L(Mod) - A-10CII - F-16C - F/A-18C - FC3 -Combined Arms
 - Supercarrier - NTTR - Normandy2.0 - Persian Gulf - Syria - SA - Sinai - Afghanistan(Preorder) - Kola — Waiting for: OH-58D - BO-105 - AH-1G/F(Mod) - OH-6(Mod) - Australia - Iraq

DCS-Client: 10900K, 64GB 3600, RTX3090, 500GB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCS), VR VivePro2, PointCTRL, VaicomPro, Wacom Intuos S with VRK v2Beta

DCS-DServer: 11600KF, 32GB 3600, GTX1080, 1TB M2 NVMe(win10), 2TB M2 NVMe(DCSDServer), DCS Olympus

Simpit: NLR Flightsim Pro, TM Warthog Grip with 30cm Extension + Throttle, VPforce Rhino FFB, Komodo Pedals with Dampers, VPC Rotorplus+CBkit+AH-64D Grip, NLR HF8, Buttkicker (3*MiniConcert), TotalControls AH64D MPD‘s, TM 2*MFD‘s, Streamdecks (1*32,3*15,1*6), VPC CP#1

8 hours ago, Thunderchief2000 said:

Hi, is anyone else having a problem with starting the right engine?

since the mini patch (although it is a bit random so it might have been the patch before) both in my own missions and in the new Mad campaign. The right engine does not start.  However some times it does. 

my method, 

battery on

apu on

check throttles to cut off (I use a warthog throttle for the left and right engines)

Press the start on the left engine, engage idle at 20percent.  Engine starts fine

press the start on the right engine, engage idle at 20percent, engine rises to 50percent and the starter clicks off as normal, but then the engine just starts to die. Never getting above 55percent.  

however some times it works fine, at least in my own missions.

let me know if I’m doing some thing wrong.

cheers.

Can you post track file for your mission? I have tested it multiple times and had no issues. I even tried that old bug where left pedal would prevent engine start, but engine started just fine.

16 minutes ago, admiki said:

Can you post track file for your mission? I have tested it multiple times and had no issues. I even tried that old bug where left pedal would prevent engine start, but engine started just fine.

Apparently it only happens under certain specific weather conditions.

(Haven't had the chance to test myself)

System specs:

Experienced this for the first time tonight. It had the added bug that in Multiplayer, the CPG got good indications of solid engine start while pilot couldn't start no2.

Then tried starting engines before CPG joined. Engine started (slowly) but CPG had Massive disconnect when joining after engine start. Indications of rotor brake on low rotr rpm, the works.

Had this a couple of times. Also had a few instances of desync, even on self hosted hunting grounds. Pushing the throttles just slightly above idle during start seems to work, but might have been coincidence (small sample size). But that approach had the CPG's engine die while the PLT's engine did what was expected, leading to some massive desync issues, including power failure in flight due to over-torque (230%+) and subsequent INS reset, etc. I should have the track, but the issue happened during the second flight and that's like an hour in, and the track is huge anyway because it's hunting grounds with a lot of voice messages.

Also would be nice if this were moved to bugs.

1 hour ago, codyj007 said:

This bug is not fixed or solved in any way. Can ED mark this as reported please?

Ed is aware of the issue and it has been marked "reported" in this old thread:

• Like 1

System specs:

7 minutes ago, admiki said:

that's why I would like track file

Try running "Mountain coin"

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

Any news?
-Because, now it is affecting the MAD AH-64D Campaign by Stone Sky as well.

On 1/28/2023 at 11:44 AM, sirrah said:

Sounds like me trying to start my old Volvo 144 1974 model back in the 90's

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

A work around is to ask your CPG if the engine is running or not. If either pilot gets a bad start then shut down and communicate that Ng is 0%, then try another start. Repeat until both pilots report a good start. It's fiddly, but at least you can get in the air.

Although officially not allowed, dual starting seems to also make a good start more likely, although again, sample size is somewhat small. Can't draw any conclusive data from a couple dozen start attempts.

Would really like a hotfix though, it is rather annoying and happens very frequently. Not being able to start your aircraft is kind of a big deal. Just my opinion though.

I've had this issue multiple times recently. For me it has seemed to help to:

• Spawn into cockpit
  • Move your collective axis up to max and then back down to 0/min
  • Proceed with normal start procedure

EDIT: Doesn't seem to do it every time, so that's probably not it then.

Edited by Wizard1393

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick