RWR Emitter Power/Range

ACME_WIdgets

This week the RWR was updated on the F16:
LOVE - the "T" option to expand the overlapping targets
          -  the Low tone for surface radars and the higher tone for AA radars
          - the surface only option to look for ground radars (i.e. with HARMS)

HATE - only 1 warning for AA radars, every 15 seconds.  This forces me to focus almost continuos attention the RWR.
               on dense MP servers I get other high tone beeps all the time, very confusing without too much attention on the RWR.

• Like 1

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

11 hours ago, ACME_WIdgets said:

HATE - only 1 warning for AA radars, every 15 seconds.  This forces me to focus almost continuos attention the RWR.

this will get a bit better when it receives the PRF audio functions. youll hear when the lock was broken.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

I think since the RWR update, the button backlighting next to the RWR scope was also changes. It blinds my socks off now when in NVGs no matter what dim setting I'm on.

BN said they'd look at it, so hopefully we see them changed.

Other than that I enjoy it so far, but I can't wait for the PRF tone functionality.

Yeah, the Christmas tree of lights are a bit much.

I like the different tones and all, but a busy mission makes the thing go absolutely nuts, so I often set it to priority.  Well, last time I did that, it did not end well:

Have targets, nothing on rwr.  In range for tws lock, still nothing on rwr.  Figure it must be a pair of mig-21s.  Ok, easy prey and then on with strike mission without having to jettison stores.  All of a sudden, they are 29 spikes and I'm being fired on.  That doesn't seem right.

Edited by SickSidewinder9

Personally, i have been looking forward to this update ever since the first time i tried "that other f-16 sim" 
One issue i have is the old "new guy" sound plays together with the new "new guy" sounds, but i think im pretty sure this is W.I.P 
When we get the handoff function, its really going to shine. I hope it turns out as good as i hope it does.
All in all an awesome update, and i really love ED for listening and being open to changing the RWR, even when it conflicted with an SME.

Varzat_signatur.png

55 minutes ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

Yeah, the Christmas tree of lights are a bit much.

I like the different tones and all, but a busy mission makes the thing go absolutely nuts, so I often set it to priority.  Well, last time I did that, it did not end well:

Have targets, nothing on rwr.  In range for tws lock, still nothing on rwr.  Figure it must be a pair of mig-21s.  Ok, easy prey and then on with strike mission without having to jettison stores.  All of a sudden, they are 29 spikes and I'm being fired on.  That doesn't seem right.

Check what search mode your RWR is in. Look up Matt Wagners January update video, where he goes through the different modes, might have something to do with that.

I do also find that in busy missions it might be a bit much, but it works really well in a lower stress environment.

The TGT SEP is also not working too well. Sometimes it just doesn’t work. I do like that it seperates upwards instead of to the side, and that the seperation lasts for a few seconds so i dont have to hold it.

Varzat_signatur.png

10 minutes ago, VarZat said:

Check what search mode your RWR is in. Look up Matt Wagners January update video, where he goes through the different modes, might have something to do with that.

I do also find that in busy missions it might be a bit much, but it works really well in a lower stress environment.

The TGT SEP is also not working too well. Sometimes it just doesn’t work. I do like that it seperates upwards instead of to the side, and that the seperation lasts for a few seconds so i dont have to hold it.

Literally just changed from open to priority, which used to do alright for me, I think.  Video doesn't even cover that.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:32 PM, Shrike88 said:

would like to hear @Beamscanner on this new topic and tones.  Always very knowledgeable on the subject. 

These synthetic tones are great. (and more importantly, true to the system)

They intentionally leave a lot of empty audio so that the PRF audio can come through when handoff is selected. 

Once Handoff/PRF audio comes, it'll all kinda make sense. 

For instance, the PRF of a lock-on will be constant. 

Also, I'll be releasing my own PRF library mod to replace whatever ED comes up with. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Beamscanner said:

They intentionally leave a lot of empty audio so that the PRF audio can come through when handoff is selected. 

Also, I'll be releasing my own PRF library mod to replace whatever ED comes up with. 

YES!!! thank you dude!!!!

• ED Team

Please try to be patient. 

We (Eagle Dynamics) are not creating the PRF tones, the Heatblur team is creating a single library that we will also be using. 

thank you

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

20 hours ago, Beamscanner said:

Excellent thanks ! I will be looking forward to it. 

On 2/5/2023 at 1:32 AM, SickSidewinder9 said:

but a busy mission makes the thing go absolutely nuts

Even on a not so busy mission with some distant SAM sites. Seems like the threshold that defines when its a new or an existing RWR contact is set way too low. Time wise.

I try to get a track out of it. But I think because the SAM site is behind a mountain wall it starts to make the RWR go crazy, when it gets obstructed and then visible to the RWR again.

I also noticed that even with all the new sounds, the Hornet RWR is much more bearable.  Something with the F-16 RWR is much louder, and the buttons much brighter.  Or maybe I'm turning it down there too, and not really doing a scientific test.

And did we mention the Griswold Yard Decorations that are the new buttons?  Surprised they don't make the power go out in the rest of the neighborhood.

Like that.

Edited by SickSidewinder9
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, darkman222 said:

Even on a not so busy mission with some distant SAM sites. Seems like the threshold that defines when its a new or an existing RWR contact is set way too low. Time wise.

I try to get a track out of it. But I think because the SAM site is behind a mountain wall it starts to make the RWR go crazy, when it gets obstructed and then visible to the RWR again.

i mean you cant really see the raw rwr in the hornet IIRC.

also that clip is really funny 😂

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • janitha2 changed the title to Do we have to wait until heatblur releases the phantom to get PRF audio?
13 hours ago, janitha2 said:

ED said that Heatblur is working on the PRF audio but does this mean we have to wait until ~2024 to get the PRF audio?

On 2/12/2023 at 10:39 PM, BIGNEWY said:

Please try to be patient. 

We (Eagle Dynamics) are not creating the PRF tones, the Heatblur team is creating a single library that we will also be using. 

thank you

@BIGNEWY are we getting prf tones after we get the F4?