WW2 Marianas, 2023 and beyond video question. Need airfield name!

Stratos

I had exactly the same question when video was released.

It is not US base, US map from Summer 1945 does not show any base there.

IMHO, it is not precisely placed 2nd Japanese airfield on Guam. North Field (later US Agana? ).
But it is only my guess according to this map ... 

Guam JP.jpg

• Like 2

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

The island does not look like Tinian, it is Guam.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

6 hours ago, Metrallaroja said:

And what island is this one?

Modern DCS Marianas, island Guam, Andersen air base.

Edited by saburo_cz

F-15E | F-14A/B

31 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

I think will be after 1944 landings as Normandy.

IF yes, then should be Agaña Air Station.

@BIGNEWY Can you please tell us If WW2 Marianas is based on Before 1944 US landings or After the landings? Thanks!

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

It will be a summer 1944 map based on pre-invasion data:

We are eager to provide you with a progress update of the DCS: WWII Marianas map. Based on original US Military and Navy pre-invasion maps, many more plantations, settlements, and other cultural features were discovered. This has allowed us to create a highly-accurate map of the Marianas in the summer of 1944. Please read the details below and check out the Development Screenshots.

In order to accurately depict the Mariana Islands in the summer of 1944, the coastline textures and fields are being completely redone based on actual pre-invasion maps courtesy of the United States Navy and Military.  On the island of Saipan, all three Haruji Matsue plantations: As Lito, Chacha, and Marpi Point are being recreated. They provided tons of cane that was processed in the nearby sugar mills and taken to the Sugar Dock to be shipped to Japan.  

The entire island of Tinian is also being recreated in high detail, and it comprises the original Japanese airfields. This large and mostly flat area is also where the first napalm bombs were used against Japanese soldiers hiding in the surrounding jungle and outlying small islands. We are also making improvements to the coastline, settlements, and palm plantations. For more, please check out the Development Screenshots

Shortly before the retaking of Guam by US forces in June 1944, the island was still under control of the Japanese, it consisted of very small villages occupied by the native Chamorro people. In the modern Marianas map, a lot of this area is covered by cities, but in the Second World War, the land was made up mostly of palm plantations.

50 minutes ago, Cunctator said:

It will be a summer 1944 map based on pre-invasion data:

When was Andersen built?  I assume post invasion.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

hace 7 horas, Stratos dijo:

Asked on general forum with no luck, hope Pacific War experts can help with this one. Anyone know which island and airfield are we seeing in the video? Check red arrow. Thanks

Airfield1.jpg.037ed67511ea6de0e2469351609f0024.jpg

Tinian airfleld near Gurguan Point.  At this place it´s the Seabee memorial.

Edited by ESA_maligno

I think is Guam as per my pic with the numbers marking the points, If it is then the airfield should be Agaña Air station, but without ED confirmation we have no clue. No idea of why this secretism...

Edited by Stratos
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 2:54 PM, Stratos said:

Do you think is the same place??

Screen_230205_145213.jpg

I would say it fits pretty well, point 2 and 3 are very accurate, also the area behind the foreground Corsairs LH aileron fits well.

Where in Guam is this, I can't quite get the perspective from the modern picture and guess where it is.
Also looks like the vegetation seem lighter  with some free area on the modern map, where the WW2 airfield used to be located.

I think I have it, haha, it is actually Andersen, the area where the foreground Corsairs left wing / LH aileron is, transfered to the modern picture of course.
Nice.

Edited by Bananabrai

Alias in Discord: Mailman

9 hours ago, Stratos said:

I think is there...

It can't be this section of Guam, because in that place hadn't been airfield. Looking at your first post picture, island shapes much more similar to Tinian and airfield should be No.2.

Mariana WWII.jpg

Edited by Spuks

On 2/5/2023 at 2:54 PM, Stratos said:

Do you think is the same place??

Screen_230205_145213.jpg

That matches perfectly, it is definitely guam

t1.PNG

image.png

Edited by Nick_17

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, Spuks said:

It can't be this section of Guam, because in that place hadn't been airfield. Looking at your first post picture, island shapes much more similar to Tinian and airfield should be No.2.

From the height of the Pic Saipan should be visible and is not, I still think is Guam. But I agree, the airfield location does not match anything. Again, ED can solve all this in a second.