Military Assets for DCS by Currenthill

6 hours ago, currenthill said:

Thanks guys. To manage expectations. This is an AI asset, and there are some things that doesn't seem possible to achieve with a mod due to hard coded restrictions compared to in-game aircraft assets.

For example:

• Having an EOS externally following the target only seem to work on ground, sea and fixed-wing assets (I have it turned on take-off to simulate activation).
  • Having a trainable cannon only seem to work on ground and sea assets (I only have recoil and muzzle flash).
  • Ejection only seem to work on fixed-wing assets (no known workaround, the pilots go down with the aircraft).
  • Retractable landing gear only seem to work on fixed-wing assets (I simulate landing gear animation with workarounds, not perfect).

Thanks for the clarification! I am wondering if you’d be able to trick the game into thinking that your AI KA-52 has the same functions as the in-game AI KA-50-2 or KA-50-3? I understand that this may not be possible due to locked files, but if it is possible it may resolve some of these issues in a similar manner as the CJS super hornet mod uses the ED hornet files or the IDF F-16I using ED F-16 data. 

Edited by bennyboy9800

Intel i7 9700k CPU

Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

16GB RAM

Samsung 256GB SSD

Thrustmaster T16000m HOTAS

39 minutes ago, bennyboy9800 said:

Thanks for the clarification! I am wondering if you’d be able to trick the game into thinking that your AI KA-52 has the same functions as the in-game AI KA-50-2 or KA-50-3? I understand that this may not be possible due to locked files, but if it is possible it may resolve some of these issues in a similar manner as the CJS super hornet mod uses the ED hornet files or the IDF F-16I using ED F-16 data. 

You have to separate AI from human. They may seem like the same asset, but in configuration they are totally separate. Making a player controlled aircraft has its limitations, but you have a lot more wiggle room for workarounds since you can code around them. With AI you don't have much freedom at all, and with helicopters your freedom of configuration is tiny.

But I don't really understand why ED has chosen to block some of these really basic features (like retractable gear) for helicopters, doesn't make much sense to me. Like for the EOS, it took me like a minute to get it working in the TB2 UCAV since it's a fixed wing aircraft, but the same feature seem to be blocked in helicopters. In ships or ground vehicles I can add weapon stations to my liking, but this does not apply to helicopters. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, damienntrix said:

I have created several helicopter mods for DCS including a ka52, I can provide you with the 3d model for the

train animations if you want

I'd be grateful for every bit of info or clue to make it better I can get my hands on. 👍🏻

But I don't see how the 3d model could be the issue. During my testing I used the in game Mi-28 as a test subject. I can create all the code and use EDs 3d model for it. But the trainable nose cannon will only work if I code the aircraft as the in game ID. As soon as I create a custom ID the feature disappear. 

Edited by currenthill
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, damienntrix said:
the mysteries of dcs!!!
I'm talking about the 3d model to see how I made the animations while 
respecting the DCS arguments, a short demo video of my ka52 will 
follow.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, currenthill said:

You have to separate AI from human. They may seem like the same asset, but in configuration they are totally separate. Making a player controlled aircraft has its limitations, but you have a lot more wiggle room for workarounds since you can code around them. With AI you don't have much freedom at all, and with helicopters your freedom of configuration is tiny.

But I don't really understand why ED has chosen to block some of these really basic features (like retractable gear) for helicopters, doesn't make much sense to me. Like for the EOS, it took me like a minute to get it working in the TB2 UCAV since it's a fixed wing aircraft, but the same feature seem to be blocked in helicopters. In ships or ground vehicles I can add weapon stations to my liking, but this does not apply to helicopters. 

Understandable, thank you for the reply. I had noticed that the Swedish asset pack had a helicopter in it with retractable gear, was that the actual function or a nifty animation like the one you’ve described? 

Intel i7 9700k CPU

Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

16GB RAM

Samsung 256GB SSD

2 minutes ago, bennyboy9800 said:

Understandable, thank you for the reply. I had noticed that the Swedish asset pack had a helicopter in it with retractable gear, was that the actual function or a nifty animation like the one you’ve described? 

Correct, I'm using that kind of workaround, it works pretty well.

8 minutes ago, currenthill said:

Correct, I'm using that kind of workaround, it works pretty well.

Yes! If you had told me that it was working as intended I would have believed you! I can't imagine this would have any negative effect on immersion. 

Intel i7 9700k CPU

Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

16GB RAM

Samsung 256GB SSD

6 hours ago, currenthill said:

Skärmbild 2023-11-21 000959.jpg

Don't mean to nitpick an otherwise great looking model, but the KA-52K's wings fold backwards, not upwards. It also seems to crouch down a bit lower on their landing gear. 

image0.jpg

• Like 3

Intel i7 9700k CPU

Nvidia GTX 1080Ti

16GB RAM

Samsung 256GB SSD

13 hours ago, currenthill said:

Now I know why my helo's with retractable gear weren't working !!

How did you make the workaround work, if you don't mind me asking ?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

8 hours ago, HighMaintenanceB said:

This is epic.  I was about to ask about a variant or liveries for the Egyptian Navy but only the Russian K variant of the KA-52 has rotors and stub wings that fold.  

I plan to release the following:

• Ka-52 (Russian grey, Russian camo and Egyptian camo) with 2A42, Igla, Vikhr, S-8, S-13, tank, UPK-23-250 and Ataka
  • Ka-52K (Russian grey) with foldable rotors and wings and the same weapons as above with the addition of Kh-35

3 hours ago, bennyboy9800 said:

Don't mean to nitpick an otherwise great looking model, but the KA-52K's wings fold backwards, not upwards. It also seems to crouch down a bit lower on their landing gear. 

image0.jpg

Hm, I got confused since I used Rosoboron's own video on the Ka-52K as reference. I also found blueprints with wings folding upwards. Might have been earlier versions or just plain wrong. And I'm still confused since the helicopter in Rosoboron's video don't have stub wings and they are clearly folding the rotors on it. 

https://youtu.be/aHP_bS7QdtE?si=LjpDguIfJy8KBzAY

Skärmbild 2023-11-21 095200.jpg

2 hours ago, Oban said:

Now I know why my helo's with retractable gear weren't working !!

How did you make the workaround work, if you don't mind me asking ?

I use the nav lights as a trigger. 😅

Edited by currenthill
  • Like 7

I've recently been creating a lot of missions in Syria and Sinai, but I've missed a lot of newer SAM systems.

So, since you mentioned you want suggestions for assets, here are a few SAMs I'd love to have in DCS:

Iran

• Bavar-373
  • Khordad-15
  • Khordad-3
  • Mersad
  • Talaash
  • Ra'd (Raad)

Israel

• Arrow 3

USA

• Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, currenthill said:

The Ka-52K now sits lower on the landing gear, it has the two pylon stub wings which it folds backwards as it should. 👍🏻

Skärmbild 2023-11-22 011036.jpg

Can you explain the workaround you used to get the gear working? did you simply use the Nav Light args in place of the standard Gear ones ( 0/3/5) ?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit