What is this?

Noticed during a replay from my cockpit. It shot upwards. Two of them.

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 7.36.58 AM.png

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Its not a unit it shot up from underneath me!

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I’ve noticed several oddities in recent online videos that have made me wonder what I was seeing. They seem to be some weird artifacts of some sort.

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:29 AM, razo+r said:

You can open a track with the mission editor and check what unit it is. If that is what you want to know. 

bro its not a unit.. its something shot up from underneath me

Unfortunately the track file is no longer there. I will see a recording of the incident.

49 minutes ago, WildBillKelsoe said:

…its something shot up from underneath me…

You know, it almost looks like some sort of mounting bracket. Piece of detailed debris from new damage modeling? 😊

• Like 2

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

1 hour ago, WildBillKelsoe said:

bro its not a unit.. its something shot up from underneath me

Unfortunately the track file is no longer there. I will see a recording of the incident.

Yeah but with a track you could check where that object came from...

Can you at least tell us what mission you were flying or what happened shortly before you saw that or can you generally provide any info on how we could reproduce it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ironhand said:

You know, it almost looks like some sort of mounting bracket. Piece of detailed debris from new damage modeling? 😊

I suspect it is indeed given that I was in a bombing run when it happened 😬

11 hours ago, razo+r said:

Yeah but with a track you could check where that object came from...

Can you at least tell us what mission you were flying or what happened shortly before you saw that or can you generally provide any info on how we could reproduce it?

I was flying the Su-25 cold war warrior campaign attacking a road bound column with bombs. As I peeled off this object (two of it) came up from below. At first I suspected it was manpads but wondered why manpads would still be alive after all that cluster. If it is what Ironhand says it is its unrealistic and should be reported. Still searching for the captured footage

• 4 weeks later...

Finally! I found the cockpit footage of the object! 

On 4/23/2023 at 4:47 PM, Flappie said:

Thanks for the video. It helps understanding what's happening. Now, we need a DCS track so devs can reproduce this issue and fix it for good.

Unfortunately all tracks are deleted because I needed space 

On 4/23/2023 at 5:05 PM, Mike_Romeo said:

Its indeed mounting bracket from the cluster canister

Screenshot_1116.png

But if that is the case it must be a bug why would it fly up 😂

10 hours ago, WildBillKelsoe said:

Unfortunately all tracks are deleted because I needed space 

But if that is the case it must be a bug why would it fly up 😂

More to the point, why would it fly up and forward to pass in front of your canopy?

Edited by Ironhand
  • Thanks 1

_____

I immediately thought bomb lug...Im with Kelso on this one. He was in a slight dive dropping KMGUs and he happened to fly through his own munitions. Im also thinking it doesnt have a collision model and it just phased through the aircraft and it just so happened to be drawn on the screen.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

3 hours ago, Mike_Romeo said:

Maybe just a illusion because you sink faster than the object free falling. So it would fly up in relation to you.

Huh?? No not buying one bit of that..

1 hour ago, Ironhand said:

More to the point, why would it fly up and forward to pass in front the front of your canopy?

Beats me bro this must be an easter egg?

1 hour ago, Hammer1-1 said:

I immediately thought bomb lug...Im with Kelso on this one. He was in a slight dive dropping KMGUs and he happened to fly through his own munitions. Im also thinking it doesnt have a collision model and it just phased through the aircraft and it just so happened to be drawn on the screen.

Pfft.. no way I flew through my munitions I am way faster in a dive and besides, if you saw a cluster canister open it is heavy so it can not shoot up after it drops, nor can it race the launching platform and win. Simple physics negates this clause. I am seriously bugged I can not reproduce it.

3 hours ago, WildBillKelsoe said:

Huh?? No not buying one bit of that..

Beats me bro this must be an easter egg?

Pfft.. no way I flew through my munitions I am way faster in a dive and besides, if you saw a cluster canister open it is heavy so it can not shoot up after it drops, nor can it race the launching platform and win. Simple physics negates this clause. I am seriously bugged I can not reproduce it.

well this thing tells me it already has wacky animations and no collision model attached. It maybe that he simply nosed down at a perfect moment during the release where the lug just instead of going down from the dispenser, went straight up, and the lack of collision model made it visible to the camera. Doesnt have to be the bomblets, but maybe you found something new in regards to an animation bug? The bomblets have a collision model..the CBU series canisters have cans that separate, but those severed cans ultimately disappear when they explode open. Could be that at this one point something didnt disappear when it was supposed to? Thats just my guess. I dont believe it flew up and in front of your aircraft; I think it flew straight up through the aircraft and through your line of sight, and it clipped through the cockpit.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

5 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

well this thing tells me it already has wacky animations and no collision model attached. It maybe that he simply nosed down at a perfect moment during the release where the lug just instead of going down from the dispenser, went straight up, and the lack of collision model made it visible to the camera. Doesnt have to be the bomblets, but maybe you found something new in regards to an animation bug? The bomblets have a collision model..the CBU series canisters have cans that separate, but those severed cans ultimately disappear when they explode open. Could be that at this one point something didnt disappear when it was supposed to? Thats just my guess. I dont believe it flew up and in front of your aircraft; I think it flew straight up through the aircraft and through your line of sight, and it clipped through the cockpit.

no it did not because it came ahead of the nose not through the nose. I think its a possible bug.

10 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

…It maybe that he simply nosed down at a perfect moment during the release where the lug just instead of going down from the dispenser, went straight up…

He didn't nose down at the wrong moment and, even if he had, the object would have been behind the cockpit not ahead of it. It's not as if he stopped moving forward while the lug continued to do so.

OTOH, if it’s an unreproduceable one-off, it doesn’t much matter how it happened.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

8 hours ago, Ironhand said:

He didn't nose down at the wrong moment and, even if he had, the object would have been behind the cockpit not ahead of it. It's not as if he stopped moving forward while the lug continued to do so.

OTOH, if it’s an unreproduceable one-off, it doesn’t much matter how it happened.

Let me explain - I didnt mean it went through the cockpit, I mean it went through his FOV. It just happened to clip through some cockpit elements that made it look like it was in front of the aircraft. It just happened to be rendered in those 3 frames. When you delete your shaders folders in the saved games folder and you reload the aircraft, youll get those elements that take A) forever to render to rebuild the shaders, and B) some cockpit elements that arent necessarily visible like the gun, nose gear bay, etc...its those elements I think it phased through. Like a rendering artifact..

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

21 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Let me explain - I didnt mean it went through the cockpit, I mean it went through his FOV.

I guess I still don’t understand how something that is behind him is seen in front of him, FOV notwithstanding. He wasn’t looking backward. But that’s fine as it seems that WBK hasn’t been able to reproduce it.

• Thanks 1

_____

4 hours ago, Ironhand said:

I guess I still don’t understand how something that is behind him is seen in front of him, FOV notwithstanding. He wasn’t looking backward. But that’s fine as it seems that WBK hasn’t been able to reproduce it.

Kind of a hard way to explain it...best way I can describe it, really? Think of when you're modifying your trackIr profile, and you scoot your seat back and you can see your face. Its not that its being rendered behind him, its just that its being rendered and it shows up in his FOV at that moment. Ive seen stuff like that in other games where an object just gets rendered for absolutely no reason whatsoever and it doesnt matter where you look, its just there in your FOV. But yeah, doesnt matter.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

5 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Ive seen stuff like that in other games where an object just gets rendered for absolutely no reason whatsoever and it doesnt matter where you look, its just there in your FOV.

It doesn't make sense. If you can see it in your FOV, it's there in the rendering, period. Temporary, by error, doesn't matter.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

13 hours ago, draconus said:

It doesn't make sense. If you can see it in your FOV, it's there in the rendering, period. Temporary, by error, doesn't matter.

Artifacts happen. He could have been looking left and still seen it. Anyways, moot point.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins