F-4E Phantom Development Report - DCS Newsletter 31/03/2023

IronMike

image.png?width=2074&height=1138
Fresh from the HB Discord

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

More screenshots from the HB Facebook!

More F-4 2.jpg

More F-4 1.jpg

• Like 9

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

26 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

Still photo, might be dead and just hung up with wire to make it look alive, like Weekend at Bernies.

TGP, GBU-24?  Looking at a late-80s, maybe 90s?  I'm no expert on things that hang off wings, but HB needs to start talking and take my money.

And for the competition guys, I bought the F-15E the day after early access started.  Delayed by travel; didn't want to go through that in an airport and all, otherwise it would have been first day.  There's no competition, just more toys in the hanger.  Even if they are two seat.

Now if we can only talk HB into giving me a cockpit that wasn't used as a frigate bird rookery for three years, then power washed.  The smell lingers.

• Like 2

I really Hope HB is providing us with some more Infos soon.

The F-15 may be a cool Jet but I really like the Phantom better.

I literally grew up with this Bird, having a Airbase with F-4 beeing stationed at less then 20 km away.

So....Day one purchase here too....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stackup said:

More screenshots from the HB Facebook!

More F-4 2.jpg

More F-4 1.jpg

Missed one.

131.png

• Like 10

Current Modules: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, AV-8B, Mirage 2KC, Mirage F-1, Mig-21, AJS-37, A-10C II, F-5E, AH-64D, UH-1H, Ka-50 BS2/BS3, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, SA342, Spitfire, P-47D, BF-109K, Mosquito
Tech Pack: WWII Assets
Terrain: Syria, Sinai, NTTR

Quick comment on F-4 RWR equipment. The early USAF F-4Cs that I trained on had APR-36/37s (I think) that had strobes pointing to the threat radar, along with a tone that indicated the seriousness of the threat. The length of the strobe indicated strength/pseudo range.  The strobes were also different depending on the type of threat (AAA, SAM, fighter radar). The later F-4Es had a later system (ALR-46) that had different tones and symbols instead of strobes.

Vulture

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I could not care less for the Eagle, I am waiting for the Phantom, actually the navy Phantom but I might die before we get it so I´ll go for the land version..

But I wont even think of getting excited till we see a video and/or cockpit screenshots...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kirk66 said:

Quick comment on F-4 RWR equipment. The early USAF F-4Cs that I trained on had APR-36/37s (I think) that had strobes pointing to the threat radar, along with a tone that indicated the seriousness of the threat. The length of the strobe indicated strength/pseudo range.  The strobes were also different depending on the type of threat (AAA, SAM, fighter radar). The later F-4Es had a later system (ALR-46) that had different tones and symbols instead of strobes.

Vulture

Very interesting. I'm still hoping we get strobes since that's more aligned with the timeline of the early F-4 when it saw combat but whatever it ends up being, I'll be happy with. @Cobra847 is this something you can confirm at this time?

Kirk, did you ever train against simulated SA-6's with the APR-36? I wonder if there's anything you can tell us about if any part of that system was detectable because I know its bands are well within the bandwidth of the APR-36 but all public sources say it was difficult/impossible to detect it so I dont understand why... maybe a frequency agility thing.

Edited by SgtPappy

Am 1.6.2023 um 03:06 schrieb Stackup:

More F-4 2.jpg

I just love how they did the textures and surface, it actually looks like real metal plating. Those textures and modeling, combined how they use lighting, are amazing.

Looks maybe even better than the F-14, and that thing was already a step ahead of the other DCS planes ive seen. Cant wait to see the cockpit.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Temetre said:

I just love how they did the textures and surface, it actually looks like real metal plating. Those textures and modeling, combined how they use lighting, are amazing.

Looks maybe even better than the F-14, and that thing was already a step ahead of the other DCS planes ive seen. Cant wait to see the cockpit.

Agreed, I am really starting to squint to tell the difference between a real life photo, and a HB module 

• Like 2

https://youtube.com/@thesimnet                                    questions@thesimnet.com 

image.png

To answer SgtPappy's question - not really with the 36/37, that was during RTU at Luke and I think we had SA-2 or 3 simulators, possibly some AAA. Operationally in the E with the later ALR-46 we went against all the usual Red Flag threats so saw plenty of 6s.

Also a lot of A-bars when going against the aggressor F-5Es, as they loved using their little radar to try to make us react and let them arc us when we were extending out of a fight - it was their only chance as we could easily outrun them and get out of gun/heater range if we didn't take the bait! If you did turn back thinking the F-5 was close, you were guaranteed to get pipper burns on your helmet when the F-5 arced in for a tracking gun shot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Re the business model for the release timing you have to appreciate that return on investment is directly related to initial sales at full price.  If initial sales are soft, and people wait for a sale, you are in big trouble because even if you hit your number, the return is far lower than projected.   This was what we applied to boxed games back in the 90’s.  I bought the F15E because it looks outstanding and I can afford to buy planes I may not really fly a lot primarily to support this niche hobby/addiction.  I want the wuality producers to do well.  It’s in my interest to help them succeed and produce more content.  I will buy the F4 the minute it’s out because I’m much more interested in the older jets and the F4 is so iconic.  By the way, have we reached the “2 weeks” stage yet?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jagr said:

By the way, have we reached the “2 weeks” stage yet?

The joke or actual 2 weeks?  The joke stage is always in effect.  They released 4 new screenshots yesterday, not exactly the big unveiling we're supposed to get in the lead up to release.

Aircraft: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, F-5E, FC3, AV-8B, Mirage 2000C, L-39, Huey, F-86, P-51, P-47, Spitfire, Mosquito, Supercarrier

Maps: Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Marianas, Normandy 2, Channel

Upcoming Modules Wishlist: A-7E, A-6E, F-4, F-8J, MiG-17F, A-1H, F-100D, Kola Peninsula

15 hours ago, Kirk66 said:

To answer SgtPappy's question - not really with the 36/37, that was during RTU at Luke and I think we had SA-2 or 3 simulators, possibly some AAA. Operationally in the E with the later ALR-46 we went against all the usual Red Flag threats so saw plenty of 6s.

Also a lot of A-bars when going against the aggressor F-5Es, as they loved using their little radar to try to make us react and let them arc us when we were extending out of a fight - it was their only chance as we could easily outrun them and get out of gun/heater range if we didn't take the bait! If you did turn back thinking the F-5 was close, you were guaranteed to get pipper burns on your helmet when the F-5 arced in for a tracking gun shot.

Thanks Kirk!

Good to know we'll be able to out run the little F-5's 🙂

vor 11 Stunden schrieb freehand:

It all becomes very boring all the pre release nonsense regarding modules to be honest. 

Just dont get hyped or set up personal expectations without evidence. Generally a good way to go with this stuff imo. Game-Sims are there to have fun, not to get annoyed.

As long as you kept your speed up and managed to get the F-5 slow, you could out accellerate it. But if you both were slow - forget it! But down low after a slashing pass, plug in both burners and unload as long as you can before the rocks are a problem  - the old Rhino could move out (but not for long...)

• Like 2

Screenshot of the radar from the discord:

"find the target" (https://discord.com/channels/1071433028045377637/1108849721566576671/1115457202849857706)

Spoiler

image.png?width=1162&height=1138

• Like 8

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

20 hours ago, Kirk66 said:

As long as you kept your speed up and managed to get the F-5 slow, you could out accellerate it. But if you both were slow - forget it! But down low after a slashing pass, plug in both burners and unload as long as you can before the rocks are a problem  - the old Rhino could move out (but not for long...)

I know looking at plots doesn't tell the whole story but it looks like an armed F-4E with slats would be pretty closely matched to an F-5E in a rate fight, and maybe even better when both are clean.

Do you have any stories tussling with F-5's in the weeds like this?

Thanks again!

I mean the release schedule is very obvious if you think about it.

1. We expected plane last year, didnt come that year.

2. We now expected plane this year, so it wont come this year.

3. The plane will always come next year, roughly on pace with fusion power.

It might release before the F-15E, however.

• Like 1