Improved FLIR System still hit and miss

The Improved FLIR System is still hit and miss depending on which units are used in the mission
Some units show up well in IR however some are still almost impossible to see
In the following example the Shilka, SPAAA ZU-5-2, and SPAAA HL with ZU-23 are visible in IR 
Unfortunately the AAA ZU-23 Emplacement,  SPAAA Zu-23 mounted Ural 375 and Truck Ural-375 are almost impossible to see

DCS 2.8.4.38947 Open Beta MT
ME Setting "COLD AT START" not selected
Alarm state high
Time 12pm 21st June temp 20C

TV.jpg

BHOT.jpg

WHOT.jpg

UNITS.jpg

FLIR.trk

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The BTR80's nearby are far easier to spot, both are cammo'd, but ok they're hard to see, not invisible.

However compared to other similar sized vehicles, in the same setting, it doesn't make any sense that one would be so easy to spot and the other not so, infact the BTR-80's should have been harder to spot, their camo was closer to the surrounding terrain than the trucks, the trucks in this are in their green camo, the BTR's are in a desert camo, yet they're easier to spot.

On 11/25/2023 at 8:35 AM, Flappie said:

@Capn kamikaze It can happen if they start cold.

It can, but that really isn't how IR works. Just because 2 objects are at the same temperature doesn't necessarily mean they'll both be emitting the same amount of infrared radiation (which is ultimately what infrared systems "see"). This is because different materials and different surfaces have different emissivities and reflectances, which will change how much infrared radiation they'll emit or reflect even if they have identical surface temperatures.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

could also be this snip from a DCS newsletter

FLIR

We have recently been developing infrared (IR) textures for ships, deck personnel, and more ground units. This required gathering and analysing various references. As a result, we created IR textures for units that correspond to engine locations, exhaust systems, electronic devices, and weapons. They will have the ability to noticeably heat up and cool down based on operation. Authentic IR maps have also been developed for the DCS: Supercarrier deck crew, where the thickness of clothing, equipment, masks, and human body heat are considered. Please stay tuned for more news on this subject soon.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 11/25/2023 at 8:35 AM, Flappie said:

@Capn kamikaze It can happen if they start cold. Can you please attach a DCS track?

I reported the same bug in April however ED did not respond to my bug report.

As you can see in the screenshots the SPAAA ZSU-57-2 shows up hot on FLIR while the following units in my test mission are missing their IR Textures
Truck Ural-375, Refueler ATZ-10, and AAA ZU-23 Closed Emplacement.
While the units updated to the new system look great, sadly all the unfinished units are left almost impossible to see.

Mission planner.png

F10 view.png

tv.png

flir.png

FLIR zoom.png

Units with No FLIR texture.trk

• Like 3