general autopilot or autolevel for the spitfire

jackd

Rudder, and elevator trimming; i can't get it to work so far; tried the default settings, and some of my own, but it does not see to react as f.i in Cliffs of Dover where it's also needed.

ADDED just tried it again, seems the modifier R-cntrl or R-Shift do not work; just tested for elevator and rudder. They react in the control settings when pressed. Seems my PC's Keyboard is not recognized for modifiers while the game is running in Chase view ... PS default notch trimming also does not work.

Can it be that it has to do with a windows keyboard layout?

Trim settings Spitfire.png

ADDED .. i posted it in the bugs section, and elevator trim seems to work only in cockpit view. However Rudder trim i did not get to going, nor notch trimming..

Edited by jackd

The Spit is a bit of a chore to get it trimmed out for good straight and level flight.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Been messing around with it, and now bought the license in the sale. Still it seems the trim functions do not work as with some other planes it seems.

Can it be that you need to turnoff autorudder for trimming?

Edited by jackd

4 minutes ago, jackd said:

Been messing around with it, and now bought the license in the sale. Still it seems the trim functions do not work as with some other planes it seems.

Try to bind a joystick 4-way hat for trimming (if you have one). Perhaps the increments for the keyboard are too small. Or try press and hold.

I can't test rn but I can't recall any issues with trimming in the Spitfire (apart from the Warbird-Effect - it's basically impossible to trimm for prolonged hands off flying, which is by design though. As I said - no AP in Warbirds).

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I tried that, nada. Guess i need better hardware with more buttons than a Warthog set has to offer .. don't need trimming that often.

Can it be that it's a general bug in DCS? Related to windows settings and keyboards?

Edited by jackd

I use the four way hat on my Warthog and mostly can get it trimmed for level flight , it will change constantly though with change in alt, heading and wind direction.  The Spitfire is a bit inherently unstable I think so it won't stay straight and level as long as a Mustang.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jackd said:

I don't use auto-rudder option, but just for the sake of troubleshooting turned it on and loaded the free flight to see what would happen. The rudder trim works, but only barely, and in a very limited range, One notch off center is all I could get in cruise flight.

So yeah, looks like it's definitely somehow tied to auto-rudder function, but if that one works, there's not really much need for trimming anyway? Believe me, you need to be trimming a LOT more often with auto-rudder off.

Edited by Art-J
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

13 hours ago, jackd said:

Still it seems the trim functions do not work as with some other planes it seems.

I have the autorudder disabled, the trim keys binded to a HOTAS hat, and I'm able to trim the Spit without much issue, as shown here:

lbwxseF.jpg

On my case, the Spitfire trim does  not seems bugged at all.

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Now tried, NADA, autorudder on or off. Axis nor keyboard

Does not work, and now i begin to think it has to do with my windows version and or keyboard vs axis; i have Win10 x64 LTSC (Enterprise).

Some restrictions vs games. Like in the office gaming is not allowed LoL.

Added: I installed DCS on a windows 11 pro sytem ... alas the same ..

Some thinking out loud: where are the controller lua scripts stored normally? I use to save them in a separate folder besides my DCS installation, as they all  have extensive editing done..

The game loads and save them there OK, but i also found SOME input related lua stuff (with no .dff in the extension so general?) in a user config folder on my boot drive, with a general name and ID number (some warthog related) named per plane and divided under sub folders names joystick, keyboard, mouse and trackir.

Looked at them and it looks like they contain only SOME changes of  my edited versions i saved elsewhere.

Funny thing is that the helicopters i bought 2 years ago are not present there. They are active in the game.

And then they appeared automatically after i started a default mission with the UH1H ...

Edited by jackd

On 5/4/2023 at 10:58 PM, Rudel_chw said:

I have the autorudder disabled, the trim keys binded to a HOTAS hat, and I'm able to trim the Spit without much issue, as shown here:

On my case, the Spitfire trim does  not seems bugged at all.

Just found that Game flight mode should be off in general options, and you need to also retune axis curvature up to 40 .

But still the spit tends to roll to the left. A p51 is much easier to tune BTW

Edited by jackd
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/29/2023 at 10:19 PM, dburne said:

The Spit is a bit of a chore to get it trimmed out for good straight and level flight.

Yeah, axis are too sensitive, and encoders take ages to turn

• Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png

I think here exists a general misconception about trimming. Trimming is not designed to generate a hands free level flight for any prolonged time.

It exist to relieve the pilot of having a constant force on the controls. He (or she) will still make micro inputs ALL the time. IRL you would just no think about it as you don't think about the micro corrections you do all the time behind a steering wheel.

When any Warbird in DCS can be trimmed "hands off", that is just by chance and due to the fact, that the default weather in DCS is zero wind and zero turbulence. (and to the limitation of the simulation).

The choppy increments for trimming in some warbirds are difficult to manage at times though. 

That can afaik only be overcome by finding the according .lua file and tinker with the parameters.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

they are not designed for hands off flying...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.