Trial version of 2.0

YoYo

14 hours ago, TOViper said:

Hey Big!
I have Normandy in trial, but looks like its not having textures. Attached find my log and a screenshot from today.

Screen_230513_021048.png

dcs.log 66.11 kB · 0 downloads

No trial of Normandy 2.0 yet. 

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

22 minutes ago, backspace340 said:

But it sounds like ED are expecting it to work - bignewy said so when he asked for the dcs.log and it's even in the faq that it should be trialable: 

Wish and reality are different. They just forgot to do it according me,  it will be, because now you basically have trail not 2.0 but version 1944 after the update. Anyone wanting a trial of full 2.0 currently has to wait for ED to fix it.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Is the new map $10.00 or $15.00 ...??

Edited by KoN

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

6 hours ago, KoN said:

Is the new map $10.00 or $15.00 ...??

It depends what you have now in your account: no Normandy 1944 = full price, Channel and N’1944 = about 10, N’1944 = about 15.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

3 hours ago, YoYo said:

It depends what you have now in your account: no Normandy 1944 = full price, Channel and N’1944 = about 10, N’1944 = about 15.

Thanks that make sense now . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

I've started trialing Normandy 2.0 2023-05-17 and saw low-res Paris and London as well as "Green cliffs of Dover". Product detail page says my trial is ending in one day, so I thought everything is all right. I blamed the low-res Paris/London to my setup, but now I wanted to see it one last time in high-res - and it really seems like I have some kind of upgraded hybrid, but not full 2.0. My textures are high, I tried to mess with the detail sliders - but still the buildings are low-res.Screen_230530_084013.jpg

So obviously, it happens.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

That's just old Normandy with terrain extension, ie. version "1.5" indeed.

It seems the bug which causes 1.5 to be installed for trial users instead of full 2.0 hasn't been fixed yet.

Edited by Art-J
  • Thanks 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 9:28 AM, NRG-Vampire said:

What's the situation today ?
2023-06-10, after the 2.8.6 OB patch ?
Is that possible to see detailed 3D models and textures of London and Paris by the trial-2-weeks map-module ?

No

• 5 months later...
On 6/13/2023 at 2:57 AM, DJK said:

No

Seems it's still that way. I got the Normandy 2.0 trial at the weekend and was really looking forward to flying around London to test it out. Was so disappointed by what I saw. I thought that maybe that's as good as it gets but then went to look up some screenshots as I was sure it was meant to be better and sure enough it was.

Having just found this thread I now understand that I'm not actually trialing 2.0, but it's still very disappointing.

• Like 1

Good to know this still doesn't work, I wanted to revisit the map with a trial, but it seems it would be a waste of time.

I'm puzzled, how this issue is so hard to solve for ED. Is it just ignored, or it is so hard to trace the problem? Their shop shows confusing info when this map is trialled, I just don't understand how it can be so unreliable for so long.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Chnl, Norm2 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube

On 5/4/2023 at 7:08 PM, BIGNEWY said:

The trial version should show full detail for Normandy 2.0 areas, we are looking into the issue.

if you are on the trial and not seeing detailed areas outside of the old Normandy area please attach your dcs log 

thank you

@BIGNEWY is this still being worked on? Do you still need some dcs logs?

• ED Team
4 hours ago, SirMuttley said:

@BIGNEWY is this still being worked on? Do you still need some dcs logs?

I have asked the team again about the trials for Normandy, when I get a reply I will let you know. 

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

5 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I have asked the team again about the trials for Normandy, when I get a reply I will let you know. 

thanks

Thank you so much. I really want to try it out as I'm interested to buy it but would really like to see the full product rather than the old version 😅

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried it after the latest OB patch (2.9.2) and the problem still persists. I definitely clicked on Normandy 2.0 Trial - and that is what my licenses show (no other Normandy there, I checked all the pages):

image.png

Yet, the modules download shows:

image.png

And after the 40+ gig download...

image.png

Better luck next time. Half a year is not that long after all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
3 hours ago, virgo47 said:

Hi @BIGNEWY... still no answer from the team?

I will chase an answer up, there maybe a delay as the team are on holiday for 1 week. 

Edit: we have asked the third party but it will be up to them about which version is used for the free trial

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

13 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

I will chase an answer up, there maybe a delay as the team are on holiday for 1 week. 

Edit: we have asked the third party but it will be up to them about which version is used for the free trial

Hi @BIGNEWY, thanks for looking into it. I thought the question of whether Normandy 2.0 should be trialable was resolved a long time ago, that's how I also read your answers in this thread from May 2023. Of course, I have no problem with whatever decision. Not-trialable Normandy 2.0 is fine with me too, but this should have been decided at the release time.

However, the communication around it should be clear to avoid confusion, no Trial for the map should be offered in the shop. The current state of affairs is very unfortunate. Now I know what I know, but when I first saw Paris in "Normandy 2" I was underwhelmed and thought the problem is on my end (graphics settings, etc.).

Also the info in the shop must be clear, currently, the two versions of Normandy are somehow connected (when I trial one, I also trial the other one). I guess the duality is because you want users with 1944 version to upgrade to 2.0 version, not to have them as separate products. But the result is that the shop "lies" to me when it clearly states I'm trialling 2.0.

When you introduced Black Shark 3, it was clear that BS2 was trialable and BS3 was not, there were no problems.

I hope when you figure out the Normandy problem you will avoid it in future product upgrades and their trials. Trials are a great thing, thanks for those, not sure what data you have, but in my personal experience they often lead to purchases. 🙂

• ED Team
1 minute ago, virgo47 said:

Hi @BIGNEWY, thanks for looking into it. I thought the question of whether Normandy 2.0 should be trialable was resolved a long time ago, that's how I also read your answers in this thread from May 2023. Of course, I have no problem with whatever decision. Not-trialable Normandy 2.0 is fine with me too, but this should have been decided at the release time.

However, the communication around it should be clear to avoid confusion, no Trial for the map should be offered in the shop. The current state of affairs is very unfortunate. Now I know what I know, but when I first saw Paris in "Normandy 2" I was underwhelmed and thought the problem is on my end (graphics settings, etc.).

Also the info in the shop must be clear, currently, the two versions of Normandy are somehow connected (when I trial one, I also trial the other one). I guess the duality is because you want users with 1944 version to upgrade to 2.0 version, not to have them as separate products. But the result is that the shop "lies" to me when it clearly states I'm trialling 2.0.

When you introduced Black Shark 3, it was clear that BS2 was trialable and BS3 was not, there were no problems.

I hope when you figure out the Normandy problem you will avoid it in future product upgrades and their trials. Trials are a great thing, thanks for those, not sure what data you have, but in my personal experience they often lead to purchases. 🙂

Hi, 

yes, my understanding is Normandy 2 is available on trial but it is still using the free Normandy 2 update version, not the paid update version, so some areas are lower detail. The trial is still for Normandy 2, there is no "lies", personally I would like the full version to be on trial, but it is up to the 3rd party which version they use for the trial, but I have passed on the feedback.

thank you 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

yes, my understanding is Normandy 2 is available on trial but it is still using the free Normandy 2 update version, not the paid update version, so some areas are lower detail. The trial is still for Normandy 2, there is no "lies", personally I would like the full version to be on trial, but it is up to the 3rd party which version they use for the trial, but I have passed on the feedback.

When I wrote "lies", I meant it technically, I know there is no bad intention. Perhaps it's all part of the confusion - there are three versions:

• The old Normandy 1944
  • The new Normandy 2.0 (which is not trialable at this moment)
  • And then the updated version - how is this one called? "Free Normandy 2.0 update"?

I always assumed that the modernized Normandy 1944 is still called Normandy 1944, it's just the upgraded/updated version of it. I looked at the FAQs and the map shown there, and it is very hard to assume that Normandy 2.0 can mean "modernized Normandy 1944". I eventually learned (on this thread) what version of the map I trialled - but is that the map you want to (also) call Normandy 2.0?

Perhaps I'm not clear, but what should I write under the screenshot of low-res Paris? "Normandy 2.0 trial"? We can be descriptive here, but that version should have a clear and distinctive name.

Also, isn't it a bad precedent that the trial and full product may be different? If the updated version of Normandy 1944 (which is what I see in the game) is used for trial, let only that one be trialable. Disable trial from Normandy 2.0 in the shop.

Compare the following scenarios:

• I trial Normandy 2.0. Shop says it's Normandy 2.0 on trial. DCS downloads Normandy 1944 anyway (which I consider just a naming problem). And I see the upgraded Normandy 1944. Confusion.
  • I can't trial Normandy 2.0. I trial Normandy 1944. The shop clearly says it's Normandy 1944 on trial, Normandy 2.0 doesn't offer the button and doesn't show confusing Trial info. I download Normandy 1944. Yes, it is the upgraded version, but not the "true" 2.0. No confusion.

Sorry, if it seems like pushing it, but I didn't start this thread, many people had the problem. The name must be totally clear. It would be best to stop using Normandy 2.0 with whatever adjective for the upgraded Normandy 1944. Of course, we appreciate the upgrade, but isn't it still Normandy 1944? Didn't all the users of Normandy 1944 get it? If yes, then it's just the most recent of Normandy 1944 - or not?

EDIT: When it comes to Normandy 1944 "upgraded" and "updated" conflate, as it is a free upgrade, it acts as any other update of a module. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by virgo47

Yeah, I get what you mean. I was definitely disappointed when it tried it out. Thought it was something on my end, spent ages trying different settings and couldn't make it look like the screenshots. Only when I found this thread I realised I wasn't actually playing on the map I thought I was. For me I won't be buying it unless it ends up on a 50% sale or I can actually trial the real map.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

• ED Team
3 minutes ago, virgo47 said:

When I wrote "lies", I meant it technically, I know there is no bad intention. Perhaps it's all part of the confusion - there are three versions:

• The old Normandy 1944
  • The new Normandy 2.0 (which is not trialable at this moment)
  • And then the updated version - how is this one called? "Free Normandy 2.0 update"?

I always assumed that the modernized Normandy 1944 is still called Normandy 1944, it's just the upgraded/updated version of it. I looked at the FAQs and the map shown there, and it is very hard to assume that Normandy 2.0 can mean "modernized Normandy 1944". I eventually learned (on this thread) what version of the map I trialled - but is that the map you want to (also) call Normandy 2.0?

Perhaps I'm not clear, but what should I write under the screenshot of low-res Paris? "Normandy 2.0 trial"? We can be descriptive here, but that version should have a clear and distinctive name.

Also, isn't it a bad precedent that the trial and full product may be different? If the updated version of Normandy 1944 (which is what I see in the game) is used for trial, let only that one be trialable. Disable trial from Normandy 2.0 in the shop.

Compare the following scenarios:

• I trial Normandy 2.0. Shop says it's Normandy 2.0 on trial. DCS downloads Normandy 1944 anyway (which I consider just a naming problem). And I see the upgraded Normandy 1944. Confusion.
  • I can't trial Normandy 2.0. I trial Normandy 1944. The shop clearly says it's Normandy 1944 on trial, Normandy 2.0 doesn't offer the button and doesn't show confusing Trial info. I download Normandy 1944. Yes, it is the upgraded version, but not the "true" 2.0. No confusion.

Sorry, if it seems like pushing it, but I didn't start this thread, many people had the problem. The name must be totally clear. It would be best to stop using Normandy 2.0 with whatever adjective for the upgraded Normandy 1944. Of course, we appreciate the upgrade, but isn't it still Normandy 1944? Didn't all the users of Normandy 1944 get it? If yes, then it's just the most recent of Normandy 1944 - or not?

EDIT: When it comes to Normandy 1944 "upgraded" and "updated" conflate, as it is a free upgrade, it acts as any other update of a module. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi, no problem and thanks for your feedback. 

Normandy 1944 is no more, so it is only Normandy 2 update and upgrade, In the FAQ it also states

Please note that DCS: Normandy 2.0 supersedes DCS: Normandy 1944, which will no longer be available for purchase after the release of DCS: Normandy 2.0. Information describing for each user case continues below.

I agree it could do with a tidy up of the text, I will discuss with Nineline when he is up. 

thanks